Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 12:49   #3496
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by benroth View Post
While this was carried out, I was standing and witnessing this process all the while and to my surprise I found the metal portion of the seat (40 split) had rust (pictures attached) formed over it at few places and the vehicle at this time was hardly 2 months old since my purchase in Jun 2014. I have written an email to Mahindra last week (22 Aug 2015) requesting inspection of all the seats. Awaiting their reply.
Prima facie, it seems that the portions highlighted in the pictures have not rusted but it is in fact the marks left of the metal due to exposure to high temperatures during welding. This is called 'heat scorch' and is common in steel.

Needless to say, this reflects a shoddy job done by M&M at the factory level. Normally such items should be welded first and then be sent for final coating (zinc plating) so that such heat marks are not visible.

Seems the seat supplier of M&M tried to save costs since this was in an area not visible in normal circumstances.

Hope this is resolved to your satisfaction.

Cheerzzz
Old 31st August 2015, 13:01   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would eventually sink itself over a period of time.
Even I have come across many XUV's which has the same problem and always I assumed they would have hit something, hence the guard is hanging down. I think I have to closely monitor my car as well based on the quote from technician, I am surprised and it is not logical to give this kind of statement without any proof.
Old 31st August 2015, 13:14   #3498
BHPian

ASC (India-Garage) delivered my vehicle last week Saturday after repainting it in Black. I had requested them to verify all other seats as well while handing over the vehicle for servicing! Unfortunately only the seat mentioned was painted. Looks like this is the type of service we can expect from ASC. I asked the technician, John, if other seats were verified, he said other seats did not have this problem. Further, I myself did try to verify other seats as much as I could, surprisingly I found them rusted as well at certain places.

In-fact, the repainted seat flooring was fixed with heavy scratches and dents on it. I believe these guys dont care while handling.. Hence decided not to pursue with the other seats since they might too get damaged in the process. Its better to be happy with the way it is. But definitely Mahindra has a steep hill to climb in terms of quality.

Last edited by benroth : 31st August 2015 at 13:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please reply to everyone in one go. Use the multiquote option when needed.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:57   #3499
BHPian

It's been a month I got the new age XUV and did a fairly long drive on a highway. The moment I crossed 120 kmph, the steering had a feeble vibration and pronounced more if the road was uneven.

The steering doesn't vibrate at lower speeds how much ever the roads are bad.

Anyone facing similar problems? Is this normal?
Old 31st August 2015, 16:09   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
It's been a month I got the new age XUV and did a fairly long drive on a highway. The moment I crossed 120 kmph, the steering had a feeble vibration and pronounced more if the road was uneven.

Have the wheel balancing done from a competent garage/ASC. Your problem will be solved.

Cheerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 18:52   #3501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like @sisu said, this is just a WA/WB issue. The phenomenon is very simple. Its a kind of resonance that is observed at specific speed. Before and after are perfectly fine. Nothing to worry
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 19:20   #3502
BHPian

Quote:

I just visited ASC, India garage and they inspected the protection cover after lifting it up on the ramp. Its just found hanging down itself with no screws or bolts loose. they requested me to replace this for Rs. 2000 as its not covered under warranty. I inspected couple of other XUV's and found some of them having the same problem. Though I am still skeptical on how could it be possible!! Just these thoughts keep coming to my mind!
Old 31st August 2015, 19:51   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
I just visited ASC, India garage and they inspected the protection cover after lifting it up on the ramp. Its just found hanging down itself with no screws or bolts loose. they requested me to replace this for Rs. 2000 as its not covered under warranty. I inspected couple of other XUV's and found some of them having the same problem. Though I am still skeptical on how could it be possible!! Just these thoughts keep coming to my mind!
Re-profiled stone guard was a last min addition by M&M to save the 3% excise duty. Could it be that the design/material was poor and the plastic guard is deformed due to heat from engine ?

Another one to watch out for in my vehicle
Old 31st August 2015, 19:56   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Have the wheel balancing done from a competent garage/ASC. Your problem will be solved.

Cheerzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Like @sisu said, this is just a WA/WB issue. The phenomenon is very simple. Its a kind of resonance that is observed at specific speed. Before and after are perfectly fine. Nothing to worry

Thanks Sisu and abirnale. I believe the recommended wheel balancing is at every 10,000 Kms. I have just driven 2000 Kms mostly on not so bad roads and I also don't see any uneven treading on the tyres. I'll have the wheel alignment checked on my first service.

Quote:

benroth, are you referring to the engine guard beneath the body? How will that translate to the steering vibration on high speeds? I don't hear any noise or experience anything dangling beneath but will check though during my service.
Old 31st August 2015, 20:44   #3505
BHPian

One more niggle.. My W8 has been facing some serious FM radio quality issues for the past 6 months. My 40k service was coming up. Decided to try and find the root cause of this problem. Did a fairly long TD with the SA and managed to reproduce the problem. It turned out that as soon as I connect my phone for charging from the 12V outlet in the front row, the radio quality goes to hell.
The SA was totally surprised. He said " bhai aap bhi aisa aisa problem leke aate ho na, mere ko tension ho jata hai"

Will get the verdict tomorrow.
Old 31st August 2015, 21:12   #3506
BHPian

Prash22, I mixed the post. Even I faced wobbling at 100kmph on my brand new xuv. Got the wheel balanced at ASC. Though now its negligible its still persists and can be felt at 120kmph+
Old 1st September 2015, 15:25   #3507
BHPian

Quote:
Prash22, I mixed the post. Even I faced wobbling at 100kmph on my brand new xuv. Got the wheel balanced at ASC. Though now its negligible its still persists and can be felt at 120kmph+
Hi Benroth,

As few others mentioned, please try wheel balancing and alignment at some competent center outside ASC. As far as my experience goes, ASC guys never get this right and I have been living with these issues until i got it down outside
Old 1st September 2015, 16:51   #3508
BHPian

My 2012 W8 FWD has been living with the good old screen guard sort of film on the 5" infotainment display. It was a mistake from our end that we did not pull it off early, now that it has been there for more than 2 years SAs advised us not to pull it out as it may leave/damage the screen.

It happened about a week back that my Dad and Brother whose attempt to increase the clarity of the screen and improvise the touch by pulling of the screen has turned into a misadventure. Now the screen is totally gone with a wax mark across the screen.

At night it is still fine, but on sunny drives it is not at all visible. One good thing is the touch seems to still work without hassles.

Is there any way to get rid of this and clean the screen.
Old 1st September 2015, 17:07   #3509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Did you try the light colin spray and slightly wet wipes? Wax would come out eventually with cabin heat when parked or by usage. Unless something terrible wrong currently, I would leave it as is for some weeks and keep cleaning regularly with a lint free towel/ wet wipes.

Never use any oils or petrol or diesel etc to wipe. It may affect the touchscreen badly.
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 17:28   #3510
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
My 2012 W8 FWD has been living with the good old screen guard sort of film on the 5" infotainment display. It was a mistake from our end that we did not pull it off early, now that it has been there for more than 2 years SAs advised us not to pull it out as it may leave/damage the screen.
This is one of the biggest mistakes that most of us make, leaving the plastic on the screen after purchase. The cover that comes with the new vehicle is just regular plastic and not of the quality of the screen guards we use on our mobiles, etc.

I really doubt you can clean away what has happened to your screen as the plastic that was covering it has melted over time onto the screen. My suggestion would be to check with your ASC if they can just replace the screen portion/ display area of the unit as that is separate from the rest of the hardware components. I know that Mahindra has replaced only this portion in some XUV's including mine due to software compatibility issues.
adu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks