Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:09   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Please check your car's electrics to see if a mild short or current leakage exists. Switch off all equipment using power, including the central locking system. Remove the (+) terminal, connect a sensitive ammeter (capable of reading from 100 mA) across the terminal and battery lead, and check if there is current drainage. If there is, something is wrong somewhere. Even a 500 mA drainage will make the battery flat in a few days if the car is not started. Zens, esp. pre-2002 ones, are notorious for such current leakage which is very difficult to detect and stop.
i believe there is a leakage some where but cant locate it.when i sent it for charging the second time, the battery guy said there was a leakage somewhere.

suspect it to be from the autocop but havent confirmed.dont have much free time lately.

how can i find out where exactly the leakage is ?

rev

Last edited by revtech : 3rd March 2009 at 00:10.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:15   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
how can i find out where exactly the leakage is ?
When the ammeter is connected, try disconnecting and reconnecting the alternator plug. If you find a difference in discharge rate, you've got a probable problem in the rectifier. If no difference there, try taking out the fuses one at a time. You'll be able to isolate the particular circuit that has the problem.

Even when the circuit is isolated, there are lots of wires and points where leakage can occur. As I said, such current leakage is very difficult to detect and stop.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:40   #198
Senior - BHPian

yeah your right about detecting the leakage.

will do it once i get some free time
thanx for the advice

rev
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:38   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
When the ammeter is connected, try disconnecting and reconnecting the alternator plug. If you find a difference in discharge rate, you've got a probable problem in the rectifier. If no difference there, try taking out the fuses one at a time. You'll be able to isolate the particular circuit that has the problem.

Even when the circuit is isolated, there are lots of wires and points where leakage can occur. As I said, such current leakage is very difficult to detect and stop.
I think you meant by ampere meter. how can you conect and disconnect alternator plug and take the reading . As this (amp meter) has to be connecter in series always.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:13   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I think you meant by ampere meter. how can you conect and disconnect alternator plug and take the reading . As this (amp meter) has to be connecter in series always.
The ammeter would connect between the battery positive binding post and the main cable that fits to it, so that any current flow out of the battery can be measured.
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:58   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
My post was in response to your above post, I was merely pointing out that I moved away from Exide (never had a problem with them before) after I had bad experiences with them and my view is not a mere opinion but is based on my personal experience (not hearsay). I do not for a moment disbelieve either you or R2D2 when you say that you have had and, continue to have good experiences with Exide.
That's a sensible stand Ravveendra. My experience with Exide has been good...so far. If some day in the future my experience takes a turn for the worse I will probably look at other brands. But till then I'll continue with Exide. Honestly, I dont wait for the battery to die (experienced that once at a busy signal). I maintain & check it regularly. The batt is replaced when I see signs of impending failure.

Rgds,
Old 4th March 2009, 01:31   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The ammeter would connect between the battery positive binding post and the main cable that fits to it, so that any current flow out of the battery can be measured.
exactly what i was implying. but how can you take a reading when you are connecting and disconnecting the alternator plugs. When you disconnect it will always roll back to zero.
Old 4th March 2009, 07:49   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
exactly what i was implying. but how can you take a reading when you are connecting and disconnecting the alternator plugs. When you disconnect it will always roll back to zero.
You're right, SirAlec, but the point here is to see whether current is being drawn by the alternator in off condition. Ideally no current draw should take place with alternator plug connected.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:44   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
the point here is to see whether current is being drawn by the alternator in off condition. Ideally no current draw should take place with alternator plug connected.
Thank you, Mathur-saab, for explaining SirAlec's queries as to why we need to disconnect the alternator plug and reconnect it while checking for battery drain in switched-off condition. I missed that question earlier.
Old 11th March 2009, 18:18   #205
abk
BHPian

Not sure if it is pertinent to post here but upon doing a quick search could not find any other more appropriate place to post, so here I go. Should I be wrong Moderators please move the post as deemed necessary

TATA Green Batteries announce a special offer for Tata Group Employees

[09 Mar 2009]
TATA Green Batteries now offers to Tataemployees, a 10% discount on the MRP of any model of its automotive (2W & 4W) and inverter batteries.

To avail the discount all you need to do is show your company identity card/visiting card and avail of the special offer from the nearest dealer/franchisee of TATA Green Batteries.

TATA Green Batteries brings a range of superior quality, high-performance batteries that are better value-for-money and environment-friendly, giving you an unbeatable 1 lakh kilometer of trouble-free performance without top-up, making them truly maintenance-free. Its unmatched 60 months warranty with superior technology from the world leaders, GS Yuasa, Japan and its special design for the Indian roads and climatic conditions makes TATA Green Batteries unarguably the best battery for your vehicle.

The cutting-edge Calcium-Calcium (C-C) technology of TATA Green Batteries replaces traditionally used hazardous chemical elements with harmless Calcium which imparts very high performance levels to the battery and adds significantly to the longevity - on the shelf, under the hood of vehicles and inside the homes. This also makes the TATA Green Batteries 90% recyclable hence environmentally clean, inoffensive and safer – caring for our future.

The unique consumer benefits:
  • Hassle-free, water-conserving technology - No top-up for upto 1 lakh kms*
  • Maintenance free battery - the Calcium advantage!
  • Highest product warranties - up to 60 months*
  • Enduring performance in all weathers
  • Instant start and trouble-free performance, every time
  • Superior Vibration Resistance on all terrain
  • Factory Charged and ready to fit
  • 90% recyclable – cares for your tomorrow
And now, TATA Green Batteries are even easier to reach! TATA Green Batteries has recently launched its website TATA GREEN BATTERIES - you can search for your nearest dealer from the website or call at our 24X7 call centre for any kind of battery assistance on:
  • Toll No.: (0) 9213 100000
  • Toll-free No: 1800-419-8888
TATA Green batteries are available in the entire range of Automotive (Two-wheelers, Passenger cars, Utility Vehicles, Commercial vehicles and Farm Vehicles) & Inverter Batteries. These batteries are available in three versions, viz., TITANIUM (Premium) series, PLATINUM (Standard) series and GOLD (Economy) series.
Old 11th March 2009, 18:28   #206
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know the difference between Amaron Pro and Powerzone series? Both are made by Amar Raja company. It is 35% cheaper, that much I know.

I am unable to find any dealer who sells around Udupi.
Old 11th March 2009, 18:34   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does anyone know the difference between Amaron Pro and Powerzone series? Both are made by Amar Raja company. It is 35% cheaper, that much I know.

I am unable to find any dealer who sells around Udupi.
I think PRO are different DIN type batteries while the others are universal batteries. Don't think you will need a DIN battery for your Jeep, presuming it is for your jeep.
Old 11th March 2009, 19:01   #208
BHPian

hi,
the powerzone batteries are made by amara raja, to compete with the batteries that are locally made, so you can verywell imagine the quality of those batteries.
if you heed my advice go for amaron hiway series for your jeep. they are very tough batteries.
you can call amaron on 18004254848
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think PRO are different DIN type batteries while the others are universal batteries. Don't think you will need a DIN battery for your Jeep, presuming it is for your jeep.
before buying, i would strongly suggest checking out the performance of these batteries with the people who have used them earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
TATA Green Batteries brings a range of superior quality, high-performance batteries that are better value-for-money and environment-friendly, giving you an unbeatable 1 lakh kilometer of trouble-free performance without top-up, making them truly maintenance-free. Its unmatched 60 months warranty with superior technology from the world leaders, GS Yuasa, Japan and its special design for the Indian roads and climatic conditions makes TATA Green Batteries unarguably the best battery for your vehicle.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th March 2009 at 19:24. Reason: back-to-back posts
Old 11th March 2009, 19:29   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hi,
the powerzone batteries are made by amara raja, to compete with the batteries that are locally made, so you can verywell imagine the quality of those batteries.
Does that mean they are of lower quality than regular Amaron batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
if you heed my advice go for amaron hiway series for your jeep. they are very tough batteries.
How about Amaron Harvest series?

Amara Raja - Automotive - Harvest
Old 12th March 2009, 13:09   #210
Senior - BHPian

Don't think the quality is much different. It is only the terminals that are specific to certain cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks