Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 12:50   #151
Team-BHP Support

My bike and car run on Amarons.
No issues till date.

The interesting this is that the Amaron Maintenance free bike battery was the lowest priced one. Paid 1k and gave my old battery.
Old 6th February 2009, 14:48   #152
Senior - BHPian

^^^Now thats news! Amongst all the 2 wheeler brands the dealer had (mentioned in earlier post), Amaron was the priciest one! But being the only one that is totally sealed and all, I now feel its well worth it.

Didn't compare prices of car batts though...

Last edited by Raccoon : 6th February 2009 at 14:52.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:41   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
Don't let anyone fill distilled water beyond the MAX mark on the battery.
If we fill above the MAX mark the extra water will flow through the overflow hole, Isn't it ? So what is the damage caused ?

Please enlighten me...
Old 12th February 2009, 13:20   #154
BHPian

My second Exide battery (First Exide OEM) went dead on me day before yesterday. Don't know why. MY DLS was stand still for 4 days in a row. 5th morning, the battery was completly dead. This one clocked more than 40K and lasted close to 3 years.

Since there is a lot spoken about Amaron on the forum, decided to try it out this time. QUote given to me in PUne by couple of dealers was 5600 less 250 for dead exide.

Since my DLS has already clocked 95K and was not sure for how long I am going to keep the same with me, I did not want to invest 5.6K on the battery when I was quoted 4K by Tata Green. Though there is not much of information available on Tata Green here on forum, the difference of 1.6K was too much to be ignored. I got 18 months replacement warranty.

Tata Green is actually manufactured in collaboration with Yuasa, which is pretty known brand.

Let's see how much this one goes for me.

take care and drive safely
Old 12th February 2009, 17:34   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
If we fill above the MAX mark the extra water will flow through the overflow hole, Isn't it ? So what is the damage caused ?

Please enlighten me...
When you add more water to battery than battery will take long time to charge and longer charging time means battery plates will become loose due to increase in temerature and wear and tear in plates that happen in charging. So this means adding water above max level is harmful for battery.

Also battery spilling acid all over is not desired, it corrodes surrounding metal parts and battery itself look dirty.
Old 12th February 2009, 20:10   #156
BHPian

AMARON for sure, have got mine for the last 4 years and absolutely no problem at all. still going strong.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:50   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
AMRON anyday wins.
EXIDE is total failures(personal experience).
Exide rules. Personal experience of 19.5 years. Amaron wasnt even an 'idea' back then, if you know what i mean.

Cheers!
Old 12th February 2009, 22:58   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Please enlighten me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Also battery spilling acid all over is not desired, it corrodes surrounding metal parts and battery itself look dirty.
You fill distilled water in a lead-acid battery, and the water converts to sulphuric acid as soon as it's charged. Now, when this "water" (actually acid) spills, it eats away the battery box and chassis parts touched by it. Get it on your clothes by mistake (even the greenish-blue stuff that forms on the terminals), and you get neat punched out holes in them too.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:28   #159
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes! And in spite of all this mess... and reduction in battery life, ALLL dealers and mechs fill to the brim! And if you tell them, they try to teach you how it does not make any difference!!! It seems shabbiness is our national ethos...

And btw, if its an Exide, its gonna leak quite unabashedely... all all over the caps...
Old 14th February 2009, 00:27   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Yes! And in spite of all this mess... and reduction in battery life, ALLL dealers and mechs fill to the brim! And if you tell them, they try to teach you how it does not make any difference!!! It seems shabbiness is our national ethos...

And btw, if its an Exide, its gonna leak quite unabashedely... all all over the caps...
Well, the only reason they do this is because users dont maintain the battery regularly. Prime culprit is forgetting to check/top up the water every few months.

Filling up to the brim decreases the chance of the water levels going low and the plates being exposed, in turn ruining the battery. Corrosion and leakage be damned as it is the owners prob. Ergo lower chances of a warranty replacement claim for the mfrs. How many of us car/bike owners check their batteries at least once in 3 months? Only a few.

That said, I HATE these dealers filling the battery to the brim as if it were a water bottle. I maintain the battery myself and if I ever go to a dealer as him to stop filling once the water level clears the separators.

Regards,

R2D2

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2009 at 00:30.
Old 14th February 2009, 00:39   #161
Senior - BHPian

^^^I dont think so! I'm pretty sure bafoons just pour water quickly and shabbily. Checking too see if its upto the max mark takes a few extra seconds which they dont want to spend. And who either wants/knows/bothers about perfect work in India??

In any case filling above the max level would also reduce battery life and might result in warranty claim. Also warranty claims are the company's loss. I don't think the dealer is bothered much about it.
Old 14th February 2009, 02:02   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also warranty claims are the company's loss. I don't think the dealer is bothered much about it.
Talking of warranty claims, I came across this irate customer, whose battery claim was not settled by the co. (Amaron) because his battery case had EXPLODED! It seems the dealer sent across the batt for claims, the terminals touched some metal somewhere, which shorted the cells, and BOOM! Fortunately no one was injured when that happened. The co. blames the dealer, dealer blames co., and customer's left holding (whatever... ).
Old 14th February 2009, 09:03   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^^I dont think so! I'm pretty sure bafoons just pour water quickly and shabbily. Checking too see if its upto the max mark takes a few extra seconds which they dont want to spend. And who either wants/knows/bothers about perfect work in India??.
Yeah, it's a part of that chalta hai attitude. Shabby work is a hallmark of this country.

Quote:
In any case filling above the max level would also reduce battery life and might result in warranty claim. I don't think the dealer is bothered much about it.
True he doesnt care either way. All he needs to do is sell the battery after which corrosion is the owners prob and warranty claims are the mfrs. Mr Dealer has nothing to worry about actually. But why do you say filling in extra water damages the battery? It doesnt actually.

Rgds,
Old 14th February 2009, 09:34   #164
Senior - BHPian

I too fail to see how filling up over the marks can damage the battery!
Spillage from an overfilled battery can cause what you might call consequential/collateral damage! The battery itself does not suffer harm.
Old 14th February 2009, 10:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I too fail to see how filling up over the marks can damage the battery!
Water - once it gets inside the battery doesn't remain water any more. It becomes acid and that acid can indeed harm the balance and first cause damages to the plates inside before causing collateral damages outside.

By the way, over charging is also pretty harmful for any battery - including cell phone batteries.

Also, please never use grease at the terminal points. Use petroleum jelly or good old Vaseline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks