Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2006, 17:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Guys if you dont link someones post ignore it or skip ,why do you have to warn or ask him not to repeat that . Finetunning is doing what he loves and hes glad to share it .If you guys dont liek it , skip his posts . I dont understand , there are thousands of post ,that does not mean you guys read all of them , take it liek that and skip posts.Finetunning carry on.
Old 7th August 2006, 23:49   #62
BHPian

A good Machine Shop For shaving the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeckozzy
somender singh is not a mechanic.. hes at an altogether diff level.. spent the better half o my college days in his garage.. manna.. pure manna... crazy arse racer, rd 350, tz 350,, score of tuned an blown yezdis, yamahas... drool.. former wild child.. still pretty wild actually.. and a god with engines... have sat in is indica an have seen him drive it in 4th.. no gear change and no slippin d clutch.. check im out on his web site somender-singh.com.. meet im if u can an he'll blow ur mind
Meet him i would love to, But i have been talking to the gentleman for the past few weeks and am totally awestuck by his brilliance.
I am totally convinced on this groove idea.
now am just on the lookout for a good machine shop in mumbai which will shave the engine head precisely . & a lot of prayers so that everything goes right.
I am trying to attempt this on my Zen Mpfi Engine once i get a couple of days leave.
Guys any inputs nows the time!!!
Old 8th August 2006, 00:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Just to play safe, I would suggest you go to chor bazaar and pick up another Zen MPFI head, in case the results are not up to your expectations. I mean no disrespect to Mr Singh, but this sort of thing will seriously jeopardize your warranty.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:01   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Just to play safe, I would suggest you go to chor bazaar and pick up another Zen MPFI head, in case the results are not up to your expectations. I mean no disrespect to Mr Singh, but this sort of thing will seriously jeopardize your warranty.
My car dosent have any warranty.
The basic premise is that i have to shave the head by 0.7 mm.
then make a small incision like groove that isint even very deep.
then fit the head back & get the timing belt tightened & the tappet setting right.
My mechanic is well versed with the settings, but only looking for some one who will do a good job shaving the head so the surface is totally flat & there are no uneven sections.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Try PMing someone like Nitroxx or Ford Rocam or Viper in your city. They can put you onto someone.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:38   #66
BHPian

The journey begins...

After being hooked on to the acteone high.
I am now taking the plunge and getting my zen grooved on 23rd. found my self a machine shop to shave the head. & have convinced my mechanic to help me in this..
Will be assisted my Finetuning & am praying that all goes well.
I will post a very detailed report along with a ton of photographs if all goes well.
I i fail i will kill myself
Old 25th August 2006, 23:04   #67
BHPian

My Grooved Zen

What’s it like to realize that all you have learnt about driving is to be rewritten in a span of 72 hours.

I have been driving my Zen for the past few years, Over that period of time I have changed the following things in order to get a Better Smoother drive.
I started of with a better set of tubeless tyres. Moved on to a K& N stock Filter &then finally to a set of Free flow exhaust system.. Yes all these mods helped in an increase in power. Up until I was introduced to a topic called Grooves. And how there is this guy in Mysore called Somender Singh Who has made some grooves in the engine head that creates some kind of turbulence.

Thanks to Team-BHP I was able to collect a lot of information on this topic & get in touch with Finetuning who has been gutsy enough to get this done on his Esteem. After a lot of Reading on the topic I called up Mr Singh, He was extremely helpful & guided me on how to go about doing these grooves on my car ( Mind you he does hold a Patent on this). Yes he does offer this service at his workshop in Mysore but I was not able to travel that distance.

The Project Spanning 72 hours started out on 23rd morning with the assistance of fellow Team Bhpians Finetuning & Janeckozzy & One very Reluctant Mechanic called Jayram.

As Per Mr Somender Singhs instructions we got the following things done
1) Engine head opened up
2) Head shaved on a Surface grinder
3) 8 Grooves Made on the head
4) Head fitted back

The following are my observations today evening.
a) The engine is very quiet & very little vibration.
b) Engine temperature a little bit lower as per the gauge.

But by far the most startling experience is that I change gears without increasing the revs in my car. When I reached 40 KMPH I put the car into 4th gear & took my leg off the accelerator pedal. The car kept slowing down till it reached 15KMPH at this speed there was no knocking or shuddering from the engine. At this point I gently pressed the accelerator pedal (No Half Clutch my leg was on the floor board) The car picked up speed no stalling from the engine……. The car climbed to 60 effortlessly.

I drove a total of 25 Kms today The torque that the engine throws out is awesome.
I drove down in slow to very slow moving traffic in 4th & 5th gear
I have had to Change the Way I Drive, My gear shifting entirely.

My Learning curve just got re-written.

Mr Singh Rocks!!!!

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 25th August 2006 at 23:07.
Old 26th August 2006, 15:31   #68
BHPian

Dear Kaizer Sozay,

Its been a gr8 project to be completed so successfully......with grooves now your engine is most turbulant one from combustion point of view.....this will have so many benefits....as u will drive more u will realise the potential of grooves....not only FE will increase but there is a gr8 amount of twisting force ur machine is generating on wheel compared to the stock machine......your spark plug will be much cleaner....your engine oil will also be clean compared to past...engine temparature will be down at least by 10%....exhaust will be also clean..........keep driving & enjoy new avatar of car....

Enjoy............
Old 26th August 2006, 21:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay
As Per Mr Somender Singhs instructions we got the following things done
1) Engine head opened up
2) Head shaved on a Surface grinder
Congrats Kaizer. Can you tell us how much depth you shaved the head using grinder.

Also did you have to use a new head gasket and head bolts after you are done.
Old 26th August 2006, 23:36   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Congrats Kaizer. Can you tell us how much depth you shaved the head using grinder.

Also did you have to use a new head gasket and head bolts after you are done.
Each Engine head has to be shaved to a different specification, Mr Singh instucted me to shave off a total of 0.7mm as i have an MPFI Zen.
I got 0.5 mm shaved off on the Surface Grinder & a susbequent 0.2 mm done in the Lapping process.

Yes All the gaskets (Inlet, Exhaust, Headgaskets , O rings) all replaced with original MGP spares. also note that some of these gaskets are SGP so get your hands on proper spares before you start it.
Old 27th August 2006, 01:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

Kaizer Sozay Nice to hear everything went well. It would be nice if in the coming future you could share the mileage with us which definately is going to be much more then now since your driving style has totally changed. Also did you find any difference in flat out performance, 0 -100kmph, quarter miles, etc.
Old 27th August 2006, 09:03   #72
BHPian

Direct Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Kaizer Sozay Nice to hear everything went well. It would be nice if in the coming future you could share the mileage with us which definately is going to be much more then now since your driving style has totally changed. Also did you find any difference in flat out performance, 0 -100kmph, quarter miles, etc.
Yes even i feel that the FE is bound to increase.
To share a bit with you. Mr Singh has asked me to shift gears in the following manner.
From a Dead stop 1st then after the car moving to above 10Kmph move directly to 3rd. & likewise 2nd to 4th in slow moving traffic.
I tried this yesterday evening driving through heavy traffic on linking road works amazing.
Nope not done any 0-100's as the roads in bombay are potholed like crazy.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 27th August 2006 at 09:04.
Old 27th August 2006, 12:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kaizer. Does making grooves in the engine affect flat out performance or top end. I am sure your car has better lower end now but has it compromised in anyway with the top end? Is there any effective BHP gain, i feel there should be since more torque = faster 0 - 100.
Old 27th August 2006, 12:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Thanks Kaizer. Does making grooves in the engine affect flat out performance or top end. I am sure your car has better lower end now but has it compromised in anyway with the top end? Is there any effective BHP gain, i feel there should be since more torque = faster 0 - 100.
Quite true there is a marked improvement throught the entire power band.
Im am certain the top end speed had also improved, because between 40 to 100 there is a very quick acceleration curve.
Old 27th August 2006, 23:38   #75
BHPian

There is definitely improvement in 0-100......in my case I noticed in very short stretch I was able to touch 100 on W.E.highway compared to earlier...so is with low end torque......i think its because of driving in higher gear our car gives better FE....this may be one of reason......

Enjoy...........

Most Viewed