Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 14:16   #31
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherianb View Post
My cross bars are Thule SquareBar and the feet is Thule Rapid System. It is very easy to mount. The base of the bag has verticals rails, so it is fold-able horizontally.
My crossbars are square bars, it is noisy without the bag. I have noticed that once the bag is mounted it is very quite.

The folded picture
Attachment 1085182
Can you share the cost with part numbers item wise?

some one coming from USA. thinking of getting one
Old 20th May 2013, 23:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures of my set up from the recent cross country trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-beyond-hasimara.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-banaras.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-mohania-bihar.jpg  

Old 25th May 2013, 07:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Can you share the cost with part numbers item wise?

some one coming from USA. thinking of getting one
The partner number of the bag is "6011 Thule Ranger 90".(~15000Rs)
You can buy the cross bars (load bars) based on your budget and needs. The aerodynamic bars are more expensive. I bought the square bars (Thule SquareBar, 769) since it was cheaper (~5000Rs).
The feet is specific to the car and are not universal. (~4500Rs). You can check the fit guide in the Thule website.
(PS: I am not sure of the price in USA, Since I bought this from South Africa)
cherianb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Some pictures of my set up from the recent cross country trip.
Ah perfect person to ask me thinks.

My dad's car - the Chevy Spark LT also has these roof rails. If I plan on getting the roof rack fitted, will it be fitted on top of these roof rails? Are they strong enough to take such weights?
Old 14th October 2013, 16:16   #35
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got a bike rack for the Storme? Anything that is other than the one that is available with the Explorer Edition, that seems a bit unsteady. Found a bunch of bike racks for sedans and hatches, but none for the Storme.

Would appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 19th October 2013, 21:52   #36
BHPian

Re: SARIS Solo single bike car rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Anyway, one day I happened to pass by the Firefox showroom in Coimbatore. (Just buy Cycles are the dealers) and saw the SARIS bike rack there. It was a bit expensive at over Rs.4140 for a single bike carrier. I have only one bike but I wasnt ready to spend so much. Still, I wanted to try it out and told them to give me a demo on my car, which they willingly did. They even put one of their cycles on it and asked me to take a test drive since I wasnt very convinced about the mountings. It was only held in place by straps and rubber mountings.

Later I asked them if they had a cheaper option. They said they would order a BnB twin bike rack. This was slightly cheaper and I thought why not 2 for the price of one if I do end up with 2 bikes some time? So I waited.

As soon as the piece arrived at the showroom, they called me and I went there promptly. Now this one was much more complicted than the SARIS one. It was quite heavy and I felt it was too cumbersome to fix. It would never fit into the boot either, just in case I need to put it into the boot. Somehow, it felt too heavy and with two bikes, I felt it would put too much load on the boot lid.
I picked up the twin bike rack (without cradle) from Firefox. Like you said I wasn't convinced about how secure it is until they demonstrated it on my car.

The Saris one was also available, but bought the other model since it gave more clearance between the bike and car body. At Rs 3810, it was slightly cheaper than the Saris single bike model.

It looks like too much of work setting it up and fixing the straps, but once the Firefox guys set it up for me, it is very easy to fix and remove. It goes into my Fabia boot too without a problem.

I used it for a test drive of about 70 kms today and it held up well even in bad roads and speeds up to 80kmph.

It looks and feels a bit flimsy compared to roof mounted / Thule models, but is a cheaper and more convenient option.

A few pix to explain the fixture:

This is the carrier. It is fixed to the vehicle with the help of six straps. Two each at the top and side of side of hatch and two more to the tow hook at the bottom.
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-20131019-10.35.22.jpg

These soft rubber mounts remain fixed to the glass and provide cushioning.
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-20131019-10.35.31.jpg

The bike is placed onto the two handles and tied with the loose end of straps. Both wheels are also tied to prevent rotation
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-20131019-10.32.02.jpg

The bike remains well clear of the vehicle preventing any damage to either bike or car.
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-20131019-10.32.09.jpg

The two handles slant upward preventing bike from shifting back. The handles are well padded.
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-20131019-10.32.17.jpg

The entire bike carrier can go into the boot without dismantling
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-20131019-20.19.12.jpg

The carrier can take max 45 kg weight. Although it is sold as a two bike carrier, I doubt if it can carry more than one since no cradle is provided and separating the two bikes seem impossible.
Old 21st October 2013, 20:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ah perfect person to ask me thinks.

My dad's car - the Chevy Spark LT also has these roof rails. If I plan on getting the roof rack fitted, will it be fitted on top of these roof rails? Are they strong enough to take such weights?
Sorry was away for a week long driving trip through Bhutan. Am already late for the detailed pictures of the roof top bag set up but I promise to do so within the next couple of days.

Yes the standard load bearing capacity of the roof rails fitted by the factory is around 75 to 100 kgs so it would be really fine.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry was away for a week long driving trip through Bhutan. Am already late for the detailed pictures of the roof top bag set up but I promise to do so within the next couple of days.

Yes the standard load bearing capacity of the roof rails fitted by the factory is around 75 to 100 kgs so it would be really fine.
Thanks for clarifying. I've to drive my folks up and down when my dad comes for his checkups to Bangalore and it will help to put up some of the luggage on the roof. Will check on options for the roof rack.
Old 1st November 2013, 02:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
So finally I decided to go for the SARIS single bike carrier.

It takes about 3 minutes to fix. Only additional precaution you need to take is to add some padding to the pedal touching the boot lid. I also secured the handle bar/front wheel with an additional strap (flourescent green in the picture) that I always carry in my car.
Attaching a few pictures of the rack with and without the bike.
Brilliant help from your post.
A few questions though.
What kind of strap is the green one exactly?
And any sort of noise issues from the rack?
Also, how heavy is your bike?
I'm planning to buy a rack at the soonest.
Just can't seem to find many (good) options.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 15:03. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 9th November 2013, 22:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hi,
It would be great if you could post details of your DIY roof rack
I had answered all other points except the pictures. I know I am terribly late but finally could shake off my lethargy and get around to clicking it. Here they go. Any further clarifications and will be too happy to reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08426.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08427.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08428.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08429.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08430.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08431.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08433.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08436.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc08437.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 08:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
When you go for low cost, you immediately discard your safety from theft aspect, the quality, and the aerodynamic advantage.
All of these would impact costs and safety in some way or another:
- Theft: obvious
- Quality: Weight shifting/ harnessing/ security of the items. - Hampers safety and driveability big time
- Aero: Losing out on precious fuel economy.
- Exposure to the elements: Not usable during the monsoons.

Its very easy to go for something crude like the Gurkha, you make a heavy frame and clamp it to the roof.
Buddy, can you please share pics of your rooftop carrier? Really curious to know how the cycle is placed.

I searched online for such roof racks, but all I could see was it held cycle in upright position(vertically standing position) and not horizontal. The idea of having a bike attached to rear somehow is difficult to digest, specially here, when any fool can rear end your car.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 6th December 2013 at 08:36.
Old 6th December 2013, 09:02   #42

I just got a BnB Genesis 3 cycle carrier for my sedan.
Been using it regularly for more than a month now.
It is quite trustworthy and has proven to be a good buy so far.

I usually carry two cycles. Have tried out three though. No issues as such.

In case of a roof carrier how do you guys really intend to lift and place a cycle gently on thw roof and then strap it on horizontally??
Also, it wont exactly be flat as the majority point load will be on the pedal bar, on which the cycle will rest.
Old 15th December 2013, 13:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I had answered all other points except the pictures. I know I am terribly late but finally could shake off my lethargy and get around to clicking it. Here they go. Any further clarifications and will be too happy to reply.
Did you stitch all these yourself or adapted the fitting based on some existing pre-stitched material? Probably I will have to call you someday and get the detailed step by step instructions
Old 16th December 2013, 00:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I have one basic question. I had heard that fixing the roof carrier is illegal in India for private vehicles. If somebody wants to do it, he has to get it approved from RTO. Is this true? How is the experience of the members who use roof carriers? Do you get stopped by Traffic Police often?
On my trip to north, I was stopped at Gurgaon for luggage on my roof rack. I had to cough up 500/-.
I now work in Surat and have been told that here too the cops stop you if you carry luggage on the roof.
Also at Mumbai airport i heard a private vehicle too gets stopped.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Did you stitch all these yourself or adapted the fitting based on some existing pre-stitched material? Probably I will have to call you someday and get the detailed step by step instructions
No I bought the materials and got the contraption stitched as per my directions. Any tailor who repairs luggage bags shall be able to stitch it for you.

I ahve travelled across the country now but have never been stopped for carrying luggage on the roof. Got stopped once at Kanpur while driving to Jorhat but was let off after showing the ID card. We can check the MVA for the legal status though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks