Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2016, 19:31   #76
BHPian

Re: Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers

Got mine today from the distributor in Hyderabad- Rs. 9500/00 but a pain to install properly- the bars and other hardware supplied with it are inadequate IMHO. How much extra does it cost the manyfacturer to include stainless steel nuts bolts and other brackets?

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-1image.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2018 at 17:49. Reason: Correcting pic orientation :)
Old 26th August 2016, 12:03   #77
BHPian

Hello everyone. I have booked a Honda CRV. I am planning to buy Thule products but need guidance regarding the models and details. Here are my requirements:
1. 2 or 3 bike carrier fitted to the rear end of the vehicle. It must be foldable and easily removable to keep when not in use or in case the boot needs to be accessed. The bikes must be secure from theft and there should not be any chance of damage /scratches to the cars tailgate.
2. Roof mounted luggage box/ carrier. The CRV does not have roof rails. So I need roof rails as well. The roof box must have a capacity of about 200-300 liters, must be weather proof, lockable and aerodynamic. Considering storage when not in use, I have ample space in my parking lot, but I must be able to secure the removed box and tether it using a chain and padlock or something. The roof rails and cross bars will remain on the car so they have to look good. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 12th April 2017, 21:45   #78
BHPian

Has anybody used their roof luggage boxes? Any feedback?
http://www.ajantain.com/roof_box_-_cargo_box

Any pointers to where i can find similar stuff in Bangalore for a Bolero? No, I cannot afford a Thule.
Old 13th April 2017, 11:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Has anybody used their roof luggage boxes? Any feedback?
http://www.ajantain.com/roof_box_-_cargo_box

Any pointers to where i can find similar stuff in Bangalore for a Bolero? No, I cannot afford a Thule.
Got an offer for Ajanta brand at 16K + Installation. Is it worth?
Old 18th April 2017, 21:33   #80
BHPian

Is it possible to get a Roof Cargo Box (Thule / Or Similar) for RENT in Bangalore?
It's for a Bolero.
Old 24th December 2017, 10:10   #81
BHPian

I have a 2016 Duster AWD and though Renault advertises Roof Carriers as an accessory on its website (and the Brochure) even for the new Dusters (which have wider roof rails), none of the NCR dealers I contacted had them. Then I contacted the Renault Area Manager for NCR and he confirmed to me that Renault is not providing Roof Carriers for the new Dusters. What is terribly frustrating is that Renault advertises the product on its website and then does not provide it to the customers.

Has anyone with the new 2016 Duster installed any Roof Carriers? If yes, which brand and make?

Thank you in advance.
Old 6th May 2018, 12:50   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Has anyone with the new 2016 Duster installed any Roof Carriers? If yes, which brand and make?
Hey Touringlawyer, did you find the roof carrier or cross bars for your duster? I'm in the market for crossbars for my duster awd as well so any pointers would help.

Cheers,
Devinder
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinder View Post
Hey Touringlawyer, did you find the roof carrier or cross bars for your duster? I'm in the market for crossbars for my duster awd as well so any pointers would help.
Hi Devinder, apologies for the late reply. No, I couldn't find any decent readymade roof carrier for the Duster. The problem seems to be that the clamps for the wider roof rails in the new Duster are still not readily available.

I have finally ordered a customised roof rack from Classic Service Point, Noida. Will share pictures once it is ready and installed on the Duster.
Old 17th June 2018, 12:05   #84
BHPian

As I had mentioned earlier, since I could not find any good quality Roof Rack with proper Clamps for my Duster (2016 model) which comes with wider roof rails, I got one fabricated from Classic Service Point, Sector 3, Noida. The size of the Carrier is 40 inches x 65 inches and covers almost the entire roof.

Attaching some pictures of the carrier from various angles on the Duster. I have not put it to use yet, but it feels well built.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-8.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-7.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-6.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-5.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-4.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-3.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-2.jpeg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-1.jpeg  

Touringlawyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 12:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Installing luggage carriers atop cars, not a violation of traffic rules: Gujarat govt's Transport Department.

Quote:
The commissioner of the transport office clarified this. The officer on special duty of the office mentioned that installing luggage carriers on private four-wheelers doesn't amount to flouting rules in the state.

The letter mentioned, "There is no prohibition in the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, against the installation of luggage carriers atop private four-wheelers to carry the luggage of passengers of that vehicle. There is no requirement to take prior permission for installing the carrier either."
Quote:
The letter from the Gujarat transport department to Mr Patel dispells an and all myths regarding the installation of luggage racks on private four-wheelers. While the letter may be from a single state’s transport department, the law it references to is valid across every state in the nation and cannot be changed unless amended by the government of the states or by the central government.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 22:49   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Installing luggage carriers atop cars, not a violation of traffic rules: Gujarat govt's Transport Department.

News Source.
Thanks SJM1214 for posting this news. I keep travelling from Bangalore to my native place near Rajkot and stopped by traffice police in Gujarat seeing non Gujarat number plate with rooftop carrier. Although I never paid fine but got into into argument with policemen multiple times & I think it's really tough for someone who doesn't speak local language to get away without any fine.

Hope this news would bring some relief for frequent interstate travellers. I think this should be also posted in other threads which is subscribed by our fellow BHPians to get updates on interstate travel.

Admin team, not sure but would you please by help posting this to other threads? If this can be useful to larger audience.

Thanks.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 15:05. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 4th December 2018, 14:14   #87
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Roof racks are used extensively used by many motorist in most of Western Europe and none of them would ever and I mean ever consider any of your considerations/ apprehensions.
=============
I've carried much heavier stuff on top, notably the various dinghy's I owned. You want to drive a bit carefull when you got a 95 kg sailing dinghy strapped to your roof rack, of course.

Jeroen

While we were growing up, my two cousins, my sis and I were all taken up and down 4 times a year to our Boarding School. This was the 1970’s, 1980’s and upto the early 1990’s when the last of us 4 finished school. Down one set of hills in South India where our home was and up another set of hills where the School was. A distance of maybe 180 to 200kms one way. Narrow 2 lane roads. The usual truck, bus, van and car and motorbike traffic. Assorted wildlife. Assorted domestic animals etc.
Since there were four of us children and my parents AND our Nannies too, when we were small, we used to always do those trips in my Dad’s spacious, comfortable, softly sprung 1974 Mark 2 Ambassador car with its 1.5 litre petrol engine (we did have nice radial tyres on it though). This vehicle was with us until 1999 when finally we sold it to a taxi operator in Chikmagalur where my Dad had his last Tea Estate posting before he retired.
Considering that the luggage required for each child’s term in school, included a Metal Trunk, a cotton Quilt, assorted bags and a host of other things besides (including some food “Tuck” as it was called there), the boot of the Ambassador quite clearly could not handle all of the luggage.
Hence, we always used a solid metal roof carrier which was bought at the Hindustan Motors dealer, along with the car itself (and along with a metal sun shade which fitted over the front portion of the roof overlooking the front windshield).
The Ambassador was never a fast car. Nor was it known for its “handling” and “drift ability” or anything of that nature. It was a solid, stolid, comforable family car and we all loved it to bits.
The Metal roof carrier was extremely useful. Because we would be going up and down the hills, we would typically place two of the four trunks on the roof carrier, along with some other stuff padding it, here and there, cover all this with a canvas tarpaulin or thick plastic sheet, so as to prevent things getting wet in the rain (which was frequent and heavy in those areas), secure everything nicely with a heavy duty elasticated nylon rope “Spider” with hooks which hooked on to the edges of the roof rack, and be on our way through rain and shine. As additional security, we used to entwine rope through the eyelets of the tarpaulin too.
Going up and down the hills with such a load of passengers and luggage, was always slow work. It was also fraught with its own dangers, especially on slippery or wet roads, so my Dad used to always drive us very carefully and being children, we used to entertain ourselves by playing word games and singing etc, with my Mum. No seatbelt’s. No child seats. No smoking ban.(Dad used to be puffing at his pipe all the time.) It was an innocent life.
And the roof rack was a constant companion of ours in that Ambassador car.

Of course the relative speeds at which we commuted were slow. And the car was never a high performance vehicle. The roads also did not allow for high speeds and things. But that roof rack was an absolute essential. Without it, we would have been hard pressed to get all of us 4 kids to school with their full complement of luggage!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 15:06. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:53   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
As I had mentioned earlier, since I could not find any good quality Roof Rack with proper Clamps for my Duster (2016 model) which comes with wider roof rails, I got one fabricated from Classic Service Point, Sector 3, Noida. The size of the Carrier is 40 inches x 65 inches and covers almost the entire roof.
Thanks for sharing this. I am also looking to get similar one installed on my Duster AWD. Can you please share the cost incurred for getting this done, if that is okay with you.
Old 17th December 2018, 22:17   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
Can you please share the cost incurred for getting this done, if that is okay with you.
It cost me Rs. 21650 inclusive of taxes.

Check post #12 in the thread below for the place I got it done. Highly recommend them.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi...r-3-noida.html (Maintenance, repairs, mods & spare parts - Classic Service Point (Sector 3, Noida).

You could also check post #153 in the thread below, for the Roof Carrier Bag. Again, have used this Roof Carrier Bag for multiple trips now and highly recommend it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ur-car-11.html (Small, yet value-adding Accessories for your car)

Let me know if you have any more queries.
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 13:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried the AmazonBasics Rooftop Car Carrier Bag? It comes in 15 cubic feet and in 10 cubic feet variants. Here's the 15 cu.ft. variant: https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-R...op+luggage+bag

I recently got a luggage rack fitted on to my TUV 300. After a 600 Km trip, I quickly realized it'd be safer to have a tarpaulin on the luggage - to keep them together as a type of fail-safe and also to protect luggage from the elements. Family suggested a tarpaulin sheet with a tailor's finishing touches to it.

Amazon suggests this.

Name:  Roof bag.png
Views: 4288
Size:  428.3 KB

Name:  Roof bag2.png
Views: 4167
Size:  359.2 KB

I found some generic advice on how to secure such rooftop bags too:

Please let me know if this product is worth it at ~ Rs.2800 a pop. I think so right now. And the reviews by customers all say it's a great product.

Edit: Adding what I already know about this product if you're sitting there scratching your chin-
* This is just a huge duffel bag of sorts. You place whatever you can within it and close it with a zip.
* You don't individually secure any of the luggage. The luggage goes inside the bag and the bag is what gets secured.
* There are 8 points where you secure it with clips to a rooftop luggage rack - 4 at the sides and 4 points on the front and back. Or if all you have are side-rails, you can secure it at 4 points on the sides. I've even seen videos from the West where people having no roof rails run the straps into the car so that the car's shut doors would hold the bag in place!
* It is supposed to be water-proof, as long as the zip-end is turned to the rear. And the zip isn't exposed, thanks to a flap secured by velcro.

Last edited by locusjag : 20th December 2018 at 13:44.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks