Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 17:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers

Guys have you checked out the Handirack. It looks cool and i think is a good solution, but is costly at 17k. Please learn more about it here: www.ctrack.in
Old 13th February 2015, 22:17   #47
BHPian

Here's what I've installed and been through a impromptu trip. Held out well

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-scorpio-rack-ski-rail.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-scorpio-rack-ski-rail-front.jpg
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 21:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post

Attachment 1339455

Attachment 1339456

Where did you buy these bars from and for how much? Did it manage to hold your stuff well and without much movement? Thanks.
Old 17th February 2015, 15:36   #49
BHPian

Rooftop Cargo box for Skoda Yeti

Hi,
My family (three adults) is about to embark on an Around India drive covering all the districts, states and union territories with Yeti as the vehicle. The trip might take three years or more. This is a passion cum purpose trip. Our starting point is Gurgaon.
The questions that I have are:
Can I put the rooftop cargo box on our Yeti?
If yes, can you suggest from where I can get the box? Price?
Can anyone share their experience of putting such a box on a SUV/MUV?
Look forward to your valuable suggestions and feedback...
Old 17th February 2015, 17:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rooftop Cargo box for Skoda Yeti

Check for Thule dealers in your city.
Old 17th February 2015, 17:23   #51
BHPian

Perhaps something on these lines?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-page-8-a.html
Old 18th February 2015, 11:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post

Attachment 1339455

Attachment 1339456
Could you post a picture with the load as well? does it go on top of the cross-bars? or between them (on the roof of the car). I'm looking or something with as low a profile as possible because I need to go through some pretty low ceiling parking spaces at home and office.
Old 19th February 2015, 08:25   #53
BHPian

This is in reply to Krishnan V G's thread "Rooftop Cargo box for Skoda Yeti"

I have used 3 different models of roof boxes and couple of bike carriers and couple of models of base racks all from Thule on my Yeti. I got 'em all from Methods Automotive. You could check their online store carpowergrid.com for cost of each model and check if they have branches up north or if they would deliver there upon ordering online.

Expect something like 50K to 130K INR for the full kit depending on the box model. There are boxes available outside that range too, but the good (considerable capacity) ones would fall roughly within this category.

To speak about Thule, they produce the best in the world when it comes to roof racks, roof boxes, bike racks, etc. Top notch in quality and as durable as it could be. On expressways, with my roof box on top, a powerful sedan like Chevy Cruz finds it hard to keep up. I mean it is utility but not at the cost of your performance, if that's a priority. It takes a lot of stuff too, beyond you could imagine looking at its aerodynamic shape and size.

There are a lot of videos on youtube showing Thule endurance tests. There was one with a rally car endurance testing the roof kit. Cannot find it now, but this video will give you a fair idea of its quality -

Like Volvo that build cars with safety equipment above the legal requirements, Thule built products are beyond and above any legal safety and quality requirements. You don't need to worry about that. They are a bit costly, but it is one time investment.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 19th February 2015 at 08:34. Reason: hyperlinked
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 17:28   #54
BHPian

Rooftop carriers for Renault Duster

Hello Members,
I am looking rooftop carriers for Renault Duster. I got succeeded in finding few ones, kindly have a look into it.

Anybody here got some more suggestions then please share.
Thanks!!

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2015 at 17:53. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 3rd March 2015, 16:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Could you post a picture with the load as well? does it go on top of the cross-bars? or between them (on the roof of the car). I'm looking or something with as low a profile as possible because I need to go through some pretty low ceiling parking spaces at home and office.
Ajit I picked these from US in Nov. Cost me inr 4000, if you see the pic there is slight gap on the outside clamp which made me suspect its weight bearing capacity and sturdiness. These are universal roof rack 49". I took the measurements with me however nothing to be found which fits snug. This has rubber padding within it so it clamps tight. Despite this it has handled well. I carried 50kg in total 3 large duffle bags tied with bungee cord and waterproof cover. The rack can be assembled within 10 mins and comes with keys to lock the foot pack in place after tightening so stealing is pretty difficult, not impossible :-). I'll be getting a sectionwise detachable aero bag which makes it easy to store things not to be used until destination.

Also be careful of one thing the ones on ebay are shady ones have been bitten once already . You will need ones with adjustable width since US folks dont have India specific designs. Here are couple of measurements to look out for. Max and min width adjustment. Roof rail width and shape. Most of these scorpio ones are tapered D from the top. Roof rail vertical height and clerance required between roof rail and roof. Hope this helps, i looked at multiple ones in India and didnt find what i wanted. Thule is good but not so much for the money, my opinion before someone bashes me. Main criteria was low profile, sturdiness ease of install and uninstall.
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 14:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Hi,
My family (three adults) is about to embark on an Around India drive covering all the districts, states and union territories with Yeti as the vehicle. The trip might take three years or more. This is a passion cum purpose trip. Our starting point is Gurgaon.
The questions that I have are:
Can I put the rooftop cargo box on our Yeti?
If yes, can you suggest from where I can get the box? Price?
Can anyone share their experience of putting such a box on a SUV/MUV?
Look forward to your valuable suggestions and feedback...

Hi

You can put a roof top box - Thule has all types. Box, carriers and rails. My suggestion would be to go for roof top box since it is secure, dust proof, water proof and is lockable. Thule has a dealer in Bangalore - Methods Automotive. I don't know if there are dealers elsewhere.

Please see this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uv-ertiga.html

I also have the ownership thread of the Ertiga. That is avilable at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-counting.html

I keep it on all the time. There is no space to anyway keep it at home.

There are various types of Thule boxes. This link gives you a detail of the types available with Thule http://www.thule.com/en/in/products/...es-and-baskets. The model I have is Ocean 200. It can hold approx 50 kgs of weight and is approx 440 ltrs of space. There are those which are bigger and have 600 ltrs of space. These hold approx 75 kgs of weight. Eg Thule Motion XXL.

The upside of a Thule roof top box is - water proof, dust proof, secure and light weight

The downside is you would need to remember that there is a box on top and bear it in mind when driving into low roof basements.

If, however, you would not prefer to have a roof top box then option such as Thule Ranger 500 is also available. Its a soft piece, has a load capcity of 50 kgs.

Thule also has options of just roof rails and you can possibly tie lagguage to it though I would imagine it would not be very safe.

Then there are regular iron roof carriers that are available. I have seen Eurorack. I am sure there are a few others. And there are non branded ones too.

Amongst all the roof top lagguage carrying options I would recommend a Thule roof top box. It is one investment I have not regretted. I have had on my car for 9 years. First in a hatchback car and now on a MUV - the Ertiga.

Hope this information is helpful.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 4th March 2015, 19:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hope this information is helpful...
Dear Rajain, Thanks a lot for this loads of info on roof top carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Like Volvo that build cars with safety equipment above the legal requirements, Thule built products are beyond and above any legal safety and quality requirements. You don't need to worry about that. They are a bit costly, but it is one time investment.
Thanks a lot ajaypjayaraj for this info. Will definitely evaluate Thule options suggested by you.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 15:04. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 11th April 2015, 00:33   #58
BHPian

Hi everyone, we got a rooftop cargo box from M/s Anjani Plastics Noida. Have put it on top of Skoda Yeti. Left Gurgaon for our 40 days trip across HP few days back. The box seems to be holding very well. Today we drove from Chandigarh to Bilaspur through the (in)famous Kiratpur Sahib - Swarghat - Bilaspir route. Roads are in very bad shape. Checked at HPTDC Lakeview Bilaspur Hotel whether the roof top box cargo box is ok. Appears to be in place. Will update on the trip and the usefulness of cargo box regularly...
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428692402.310805.jpg
Krishnan V G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 13:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Hi everyone, we got a rooftop cargo box from M/s Anjani Plastics Noida. Have put it on top of Skoda Yeti. Left Gurgaon for our 40 days trip across HP few days back. The box seems to be holding very well. Today we drove from Chandigarh to Bilaspur through the (in)famous Kiratpur Sahib - Swarghat - Bilaspir route. Roads are in very bad shape. Checked at HPTDC Lakeview Bilaspur Hotel whether the roof top box cargo box is ok. Appears to be in place. Will update on the trip and the usefulness of cargo box regularly...

Attachment 1359262

Thanks for the pic, the box looks good. How much did it cost and what's the capacity? Thanks.
Old 11th April 2015, 22:38   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Thanks for the pic, the box looks good. How much did it cost and what's the capacity? Thanks.

Hi, the capacity is 400 litres, and I paid Rs 22000 all inclusive. This particular model is called 'comforter'.
Krishnan V G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks