Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2014, 15:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor servi

Thank your guardian angels mad monkey. They have kept a strict vigil on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I read this and love my 3 year old Swift DDiS all the more. I would get envious thinking what fun it would be to drive the likes of Disco up to Spiti & Ladakh where my humble Swift had a tough time but its better to be in a less capable car and reach your destination (with extra effort) than to be stranded with a 1 Cr+ JLR SUV!
I absolutely second his thoughts. Call me old school but i still believe carbs are better than FI

With intervention of so many electronic gadgetry, a single fried chip will put the whole vehicle in a dire situation.

Finally - Dont you think its time you should reach out to JLR via other options (legal) etc..
Old 25th February 2014, 18:02   #47
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor servi

That truly must have been a horrendous experience. If it were some other car, I would have said that you got a lemon, but oh no it's a Range Rover, they are born lemons.

In my locality, there are 3 Rangies with flat suspensions, one with engine failure. I mean spending 1+ crore on a car and then having to hassle with the Service center all the time, couldn't get worse.

What I fail to understand is how your steering locked at an expressway. Didn't the car realise that it was travelling at a high speed and it could be fatal! Then the part problem, Tata being the goddamn owner of JLR should sure as hell prioritise the Indian market, where people don't have to wait months to just receive a single part. These experiences keep me away from spending so much of my hard earned money on a car that refuses to cooperate. And it's not just India, Land Rover fails miserably in the UK, but probably not so often. Even Salman khan was disgruntled with his Range Rover, http://www.hindustantimes.com/entert...1-1132989.aspx
BMW better still provides services like BMI that help lift the fear that gets coupled with these cars reliabilities.

Looks like the Japs need to start giving lessons to the Europeans/
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 18:11   #48
BHPian

Mad Monkey -- As many others have already suggested, I too would strongly recommend legal action against JLR. It is well known that multinational car makers have one set of standards and norms for their customers in advanced countries and quite a different set for those in developing countries. This obviously happens because they think that they can get away with murder in backward countries like India.

Please do fight for your rights and make the company pay for the serious and life -threatening problems in your sparingly used Land Rover Discovery 4. Just having the defects rectified is not enough. They must compensate you adequately.

These issues also need to be given wide publicity. You could contact some newspapers, auto magazines and TV channels for the same. I'm doing my bit by posting the link to this thread on my Facebook page.

Do keep us updated about latest developments in this matter.
Old 25th February 2014, 18:43   #49
BHPian

Ridiculous from JLR. It is not even the unfortunate case of being sold a lemon (which it may not be), it is post-incident handling of the occasion, the vehicle and managing the expectation of premier customer that is shocking ! It is for this very reason that Audi's have gained a solid notoriety (at least in my head) for having extremely poor after service support. Especially for vehicles which are repeatedly proving to be difficult to own.

It is sad that in our lust for the logo, the brand name and initial impressions, we take A.S.S. by so-called marquee names for granted. And why not ! Unfortunately, with lack of accountability and lack of speedy relief forums for consumers, it is the automobile companies that take customer for granted.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:01   #50
BHPian

Walk into Tata House and insist on meeting Mr. Cyrus Mistry.

That is the only solution and the only language we Indians understand!
Old 25th February 2014, 20:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
I absolutely second his thoughts. Call me old school but i still believe carbs are better than FI

With intervention of so many electronic gadgetry, a single fried chip will put the whole vehicle in a dire situation.
The exact reason I picked up the Thar DI, and not the Crde.

Today me and my friend whose Enfield Classic 500 FI was giving jerks on slow running spent the first half of the day at the service center with the mechanics trying to figure out the problem. Changed the spark plugs, opened the fuel pump, changed the temp sensor, cleaned the injectors, but could not find the problem. We are told that all three agencies at Chandigarh have a common engineer who has the scan tool and a computer!

Well, I was amazed at the Discovery 4 displaying detailed fault messages. Maybe the locking of the steering and the rest could be a result of the wrong information by the computer that a fault exists when mechanically there was no fault.

Too much technology! I so much cherish the thought of 'working a bit on your car in your driveway'

I hope some day we can produce lower emissions with old school non-computer technology!
jassi_jeeper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is a shocking report. For a car thats supposed to be almost bulletproof in reliability.

Ive stated this many times before as well. Even the established Mercedes, BMW and Audi have not been exactly great in after-sale services. Its time the principle companies take a look and try to salvage their reputation.

A few luxury car owners should get together and write directly to the manufacturers wherever they are.

Madmonkey - I sympathize with your problems. I really hope things will get sorted soon. I dont know if your time schedule permits pursuing a law suit with the manufacturer. Its worth it if you ask me.
Old 26th February 2014, 15:39   #53
LDJ
BHPian

What a scary experience!!!

Looks like you've lived through two worst nightmares - for an person behind the wheel.

Clearly its a lemon and must be used for nothing else but lemonade. (I mean broken down completely and salvaged just for the useful parts.)

Btw, I dont understand many people here advising the owner to sell the car off to someone and buy a new one - I'm just shocked at such suggestions!@!@! Do you really want somebody else who purchases this lemon to go through such nightmarish incidents like Madmonkey???
Old 27th February 2014, 12:18   #54

Thanks for that Info Mad Monkey, I was looking to buy an Evoque being quite impressed by the car and even having driven the vehicle. But after reading this I think I will steer clear and look at the Audi.
Strnglv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 15:40   #55
BHPian

You must email this thread's link to the top JLR officials here and in the UK.
Let them see how many people have decided not to buy their product after almost finalizing because of their horrible service support and such extreme issues with their cars!
abhinavsureka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 01:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
You must email this thread's link to the top JLR officials here and in the UK.
Let them see how many people have decided not to buy their product after almost finalizing because of their horrible service support and such extreme issues with their cars!
Yup, I agree with abhinav, shooting some mails(and, especially this thread) to top officials might help!(fingers crossed).
Old 28th February 2014, 03:10   #57
BANNED

Don't we have an option to tweet Ratan Tata directly? Mailing officials higher up will work but may take time. Hitting a mail to the boss directly will do the job faster. Just my opinion.

It looks like the car has spent more time at the ASC with its panels off rather than with the owner munching miles. Sad to see such state even after paying through the nose to buy such an expensove car and it lands up like this is certainly disheartening. Hope these guys don't go the Skoda way.

Anurag.
Old 28th February 2014, 18:08   #58
BHPian

I do remember seeing/reading an article sometime back where in the film actor Salman Khan faced similar issues with his Land Rover where in it spent almost half of its time in the workshop. He was completely cheesed off. I think its high time JLR focused on getting the after sales service and their product quality up. Looks like Tata's experience has rubbed on to JLR.
Old 28th February 2014, 18:24   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
I do remember seeing/reading an article sometime back where in the film actor Salman Khan faced similar issues with his Land Rover where in it spent almost half of its time in the workshop. He was completely cheesed off.
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
I think its high time JLR focused on getting the after sales service and their product quality up. Looks like Tata's experience has rubbed on to JLR.

It can do any non-sense with the Indian car made (Indica and its likes) but the same weird 'Chalta Hai' attitude cannot work with the iconic brand JLR that was acquired. I mean the whole world was stunned when Tata purchased the falling brand and built it back to strength but such instances will kill the brand values and sales.

Anurag.
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:43   #60
BHPian

Enough said!

Now that you have mustered enough time to build a chronology of the events its best to start escalating the matter - write to Pisharody / Borwankar (they are the top guys in Tata Motors) and then keep escalating till you reach Mistry..better still send hard copy letters to Bombay House..

This is only way you will get some response and people to come across the table and reach an amicable solution - you may also want to CC the JLR top brass while you are at it!!

Trust me - I had a lemon of a 2.5 ton Mitsubishi Heavy Industries AC at home - escalated to the CEO in Japan and I got a brand new replacement. You definitely need to escalate it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks