Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 13:51   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Sorry to hear of the ordeal and experience of you and your friend.

Was the car scrapped/dismantled or sold ? Note that in Karnataka, if the car is being scrapped, you can claim a part of the lifetime Road Tax paid initially.
I've been told the car is going to be repaired and sold or used. I'm waiting for an update of transfer. The buyer had asked for a month's time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Friends, to reiterate what VSS has said, PLEASE understand, the OIL PRESSURE LIGHT on any car , is an indicator which will glow ONLY when the OIL PRESSURE is LOWER than the specified level from the manufacturer!!

It WILL NOT indicate low oil level!!

Along with various other reasons of low oil pressure, LOW OIL level can be a reason for LOW OIL PRESSURE and hence the light on the dash could glow!!

Visual inspection (dip stick on a level surface) must be performed at periodic intervals to ensure a headache free drive!
Speaking logically, if there is no oil or low oil then is it right to say there would be low oil pressure? If so then shouldn't it come on at some point before the oil is completely drained?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2015 at 18:18. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2015, 14:51   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post

Speaking logically, if there is no oil or low oil then is it right to say there would be low oil pressure? If so then shouldn't it come on at some point before the oil is completely drained?
If the oil in in the sump is available as feed for the oil pump then the low pressure light may not glow until there is no infeed to the pump.

Once there is no indeed it will starvation leading to pressure drop hence the oil Pressure light will glow.
Old 20th February 2015, 15:11   #228
Senior - BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
I've been told the car is going to be repaired and sold or used. I'm waiting for an update of transfer. The buyer had asked for a month's time

Please ask the buyer for a copy of his any Govt provided ID card. Keep it in your (friends) records until the updated RC book comes across.
Old 20th February 2015, 15:21   #229
BHPian

My '97 ZEN came with one, and I have seen much older cars like Ambassador also equipped with this warning light.

When my cars timing chain was replaced as per schedule at 60000 km service, I saw that the oil sump was pressed sheet metal. Apparently its designed to deform and absorb any hits than pass the forces on to the engine assembly. If the light works and driver pays attention, its the best way to save the engine.

Fiats come with a thick metal plate under the engine bay, so spared of this nightmare.

Last edited by autocrat : 20th February 2015 at 15:25.
Old 20th February 2015, 15:40   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
My '97 ZEN came with one, and I have seen much older cars like Ambassador also equipped with this warning light.

When my cars timing chain was replaced as per schedule at 60000 km service, I saw that the oil sump was pressed sheet metal. Apparently its designed to deform and absorb any hits than pass the forces on to the engine assembly.
Good old Amby came with oil pressure gauge as well, apart from oil pressure switch.

The oil sump, as what I opine is that since it is knit with the engine tightly from all sides, it may not have the space luxury to deform. A nasty hit will most certainly lead to a leakage.

Regards.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:19   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Here are the links for the symbols from the VW Workshop Manual for the Polo - Petrol engine, Diesel engine. They do have the oil level/oil pressure warning light (no. 4), as posted by VSS.

The warning lights are available in the cluster. However for the Indian models, the plug that goes to the cluster may miss some of the pins that comes from the sensor. Eg. Windshield wiper tank low-level sensor, coolant temperature sensor (pre-facelift Polo) etc.
Yes it is there, thanks a lot Gannu_1 for clarifying and correcting the confusion in a very inoffensive and clear way. I just noticed that light glows up and then goes off while cranking the car.

So, everyone, the Polo and hopefully its siblings and cousins do have an oil pressure warning light, so I apologise for saying that the Polo never had it, my intention was not to confuse people here.
Old 18th July 2015, 23:26   #232
BHPian

Re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Folks, Can someone tell me if the owner had a engine shield cover in his insurance then the claim would have gone through ?
Old 19th July 2015, 01:50   #233
BHPian

I will share an incident involving a friend's polo 1.2 tdi

Similar case: hit a speed bump at 70 km/h. Broke Oil Sump. No indication as per his testimony, however he may have not noticed any lights blinking.

Engine Seized, Got an estimate of 3.25 lakhs from the VW dealership. (still much cheaper than Skoda Fabias quote) This happened in early 2013.

Got Engine cylinders rebored / overhauling done for exactly Rs 35000/- from an independent garage.

The car did lose some power after that, but he was able to drive it daily & regularly for next two years.

Sold the car after four years of ownership at about 20% lower than market value at about 2.5 lakhs after clearly stating the engine rebuild to the customer.

So, in my opinion a seized engine is not the end of a car if it can be repaired well.
Distant Second is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 08:37   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Folks, Can someone tell me if the owner had a engine shield cover in his insurance then the claim would have gone through ?
I am not sure what engine shield cover is but the car had a zero depreciation policy in place and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever in this case as the insurance company flat out.
Old 27th July 2016, 16:32   #235
BHPian

Horror story !
That's why Maruti is just unbeatable. My 10 year old Swift engine will get salutes and bows from the Euro engines. I wonder if her life is 10 lakh KM and 100 years ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks