Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 16:13   #106
BHPian

Hi
Was in the same situation when our Yeti broke down due to possible water ingress in the engine. Luckily the car was under warranty and with lot of effort we could get the car repaired under warranty. The car is running fine now.

At that time my brother (who also lives in Bangalore) had many communication with the Skoda technical team and higher ups who assisted us a lot. He is also knowing some ex Skoda mechanics who can repair the car much much cheaper. He says his friends has done this many times in the past. Please make a try. You can contact him on mobile 9980032032.

Regards.
Catamaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 18:00   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As another members showed in the past with pics - the sump can get damaged in a Fabia, even though it comes with a guard underneath.

Thread link below -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2742312
The GC is low, but now as low as a Honda City, with the sturdy shockabsorbers the chances of hitting a speedbreaker is low.
There could be a posibility if the shocks are not that doing the job than in a new car,
I had the issue of rear shocks and this led to scraping at times in Bangalore speedbreakers, Once these were replaced the issue went away.
Correct presure in front wheels also is vital anything below 28psi will be challenging to cross these humps at one go, better to cross such humps at 45 to 60 degrees.
Humps in maharashtra are the best to do the jobs, unlike Bangalore which cannot be called a humps or speedbreakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
It's generally a low oil pressure indicator than an oil level indicator (like for example for brake fluid).

I doubt that the Fabia does not have a low oil pressure indicator in the instrument console - if there is no indication of low oil pressure to start with, how can the customer be blamed for any consequent damage ?
as per manual Fabia has two warning light for Oil-
lights up yellow then oil quantity too low or lights up red for low oil pressure.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th January 2015 at 18:28. Reason: Back to back post. Please go through board rules.
Fabiaous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 18:37   #108
BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Reading the posts above, gets me to think:
If these car manufacturers can give beeper sound for door open, seat belt warning, etc. Then why not this crucial oil pressure low warning?
Imagine you are merrily driving on a nice tar road. And suddenly there is this unmarked bumper. Too little time to slow down, and there goes your car's under-body scratching. Say it hits the oil sump too. Will a common man even notice the dashboard for the next 15 seconds, or will his attention be on the incident that just happened?
This is where the beep sound will help. So, why haven't car manufacturers implemented this?
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 23:29   #109
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your friends car, My friend was also in the same situation couple of months ago, an unmarked bump conked out his TDCI of figo, Insurance were ready to pay only for the oil sump and they came up with the weird excuse that it is only the oil sump which was affected by the accident and the insurance won't cover the other part's,He repaired it from an outside workshop and sold his car.
Old 16th January 2015, 00:04   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
A passenger car engine is designed to last the entire lifetime of the vehicle. Engine seizures are not that common. Even if thats a Honda/Toyota, it will cost you that much. One of my known got his amaze repaired after an accident. The whole repair along with engine overhaul was around a lakh less than Ex-showroom.
I can pray that you are right my friend, but I speak that in lime of the facts below. I have driven my Vento TDI for 54000 kms, got 2 sets of injectors changed from VW already under warranty. I got my clutch replaced since it had become unbearably hard. I get fuel from the same HP pump in Sarita Vihar for my Diesel Punto, which has already done 130,000 kms and no work on the engine yet, except for one clutch set replacement at 85000 kms. I have my sister's Innova using fuel from the same pump as well, done 220000 kms with no engine component replacements. It's VW / Skoda's engine parts reliability under Indian conditions which is bothering me.
Old 16th January 2015, 00:55   #111
BHPian

Sorry to read this. When you scrap a car, the scrapper rips the car to every nut and bolt and sells individual parts. Skoda fabia being a rare comodity in this market should fetch you a decent price. Conversely, if your friend intends to keep this car, he can try finding a scrapped engine for his car. Car scrap dealers generally extract the engine aggregates as a whole from accidental cars with a working engine. Finding an engine for 2011 fabia shouldn't be too difficult since fabia and polo shared the same hearts with polo selling many folds more.
Old 16th January 2015, 02:06   #112

According to my Fabia driving friend the engine runs unnaturally hot if its low on oil. Sadly this wouldn't have been a good indicator here in this situation as the oil leaked out in a kilometre which would be insufficient time to notice the engine running hotter than usual. Very sad and unfortunate.
Old 16th January 2015, 11:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

I am coming across this very often on this thread: "fabia has oil pressure indicator, not oil level indicator'

Can someone please explain to me how oil pressure sensor will continue giving a healthy reading when there is no oil in the sump = no oil at the pump?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 12:58   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am coming across this very often on this thread: "fabia has oil pressure indicator, not oil level indicator'

Can someone please explain to me how oil pressure sensor will continue giving a healthy reading when there is no oil in the sump = no oil at the pump?
Spoke to someone from TAFE yesterday and this is his explanation. When the car is driven after the sump has been hit the probability of the oil pressure warning coming on varies depending on many factors. In this particular case he is of the opinion that the outflow of the oil was too quick for the sensor to react. He said that sometimes the oil could drain out even in a few 100 meters.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:42   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

I think oil pressure indicator may not be of much help because when it senses that there is no/ not enough oil pressure, the damage to the engine would already be done. I would say an engine without oil can be ruined easily even if made to run for a few seconds.

Once my car's oil filter developed a leakage due to poor fitting technique and oblivious to this, I drove it for good 10-12 kms with high revs. Thankfully, the engine did not suffer any damage. The oil light did not come on because though oil was leaking, but still pressure was sufficient. It could have come on if I drove it for a few more kms, but then I think it would have been too late.

So honestly, this oil lamp stuff is very dicey thing to me.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 16:10   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Imagine, what would a rebuild cost of a Rapid or higher range cars from Skoda will be. But people still buy it, Chappan inch ki chaati waale kehte hai in logo ko
Buddy, I don't understand a word of this. But it conveys a sense of offence. Almost every one who goes for these cars are better informed & do so because it meets their preferences & are not unaware of other brands/models in existence. Let live.
Old 16th January 2015, 16:11   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Spoke to someone from TAFE yesterday and this is his explanation. When the car is driven after the sump has been hit the probability of the oil pressure warning coming on varies depending on many factors. In this particular case he is of the opinion that the outflow of the oil was too quick for the sensor to react. He said that sometimes the oil could drain out even in a few 100 meters.
Yes quite possible.
The crack is large. Liquid is lost.
Pump develops pressure only if there is a flow of liquid.
But since the liquid is lost rapidly, the flow loss and consequently the pressure loss would happen too rapidly. And as Saket says below the engine damaged by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think oil pressure indicator may not be of much help because when it senses that there is no/ not enough oil pressure, the damage to the engine would already be done. I would say an engine without oil can be ruined easily even if made to run for a few seconds.
Then what would be the purpose of oil pressure low indicator?
*rubs chin*

Of course there is no way of determining oil level in a running engine. So there is no point in thinking about having a level gauge/sensor.

In any case I think the golden rule is: if you hit the under-body OR hear a sound of hitting, please stop the vehicle for few minutes and observe if there is any leakage.

In this case it was oil sump, in other case, one may hit the differential, in another case, one may hit the radiator/coolant circuit.
Old 16th January 2015, 16:18   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
In this case it was oil sump, in other case, one may hit the differential, in another case, one may hit the radiator/coolant circuit.
True , better drive skoda's with care on uneven roads where chances of bumps touching Engine under carriage
Old 16th January 2015, 16:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

If one buys a short engine or a complete engine from VW then would they be charging

1. OEM Unit Price + Profit for every single part that goes into the engine.

seems like a load of crap that comes about due to poor oversight of market and trade practices by the Govt of India.

the price charged should be an entire stock engine at manufacturers price + a profit margin on the entire engine. What kind of logic is it to apply OEM+profit on every single part of the engine.

That is why the cost of substitute engine goes above cost of car. VW is surely going to face tough time in India if this is the way they plan to do business here.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 17:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Oil pressure light do help.

Some time back in my 17 year old Premier Padmini 137D, the hose that transmits oil to oil pressure gauge ruptured and i immediately stopped(engine idling); opened bonnet and saw oil spraying everywhere. Switched off the engine immediately.

Disabled the hose outlet, poured engine oil, started car again- engine performing normally and about 20k km done after that.

The driver should have stopped the car and inspected for any damage. Not all cars are Punto/Verito which has a strong sump guard installed to take care of these 3rd world road surprises.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks