Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 13:56   #46
BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

For 6.6L (or for 4L), you could actually buy a few old Fabia's and transplant the parts to your dear car.

http://olx.in/bangalore/q-Fabia/

The least I could find was for 2.35L. Try to get one with a good in-effect insurance plan. You could use the donor car for rebuild while your transplanted car works just fine.

Anyways, I am now scared about this. OT: Is there a way to install an oil level indicator in our cars?
Mad Max is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 15:42   #47
BHPian

I feel so sorry for the attitude of the A.S.S. Probably expecting excellent service is as improbable as expecting to build a carnot's engine.

I'm not sure if we can post external links but this one sounded so relevant.
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Skod...iew-omqptsosns

"The car was taken to Skoda Authorised Service(JMD Nerul) centre where an estimate of 3,65,000 INR(3 lakh sixty five thousand) was given to replace with a new engine. The insurance refused to pay initially calling a consequential damage, but after a battle with TATA AIG which lasted over 2 months they agreed to cover 50% of the repair cost but not engine replacement. Skoda refused to repair the engine and also refused to accept any liability in regards to failure of engine oil warning light and hence it was carried out externally at Modern Auto Garage, Grant Road, Mumbai. "
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 15:53   #48
BHPian

They are making a killing on the parts. Buy from outside and they will be 1./4th the cost or better still get an accidented car and replace the engine
zipperone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:02   #49
BHPian

I feel very sorry for your friend. I am very relieved that I did not buy a Rapid in late 2012/early 2013, a very good decision. I do not know how these dealers manage to spoil the reputation of a brand and still run the shop. I have read/heard enough stories about Skoda dealers, their malpractices and the way Skoda treats its customers in this country.

I do not remember the source exactly, but I think some department or automotive body was suggesting that all spares for a car, sold separately, added together should not exceed the total amount of the car. Of course, barring the marketing, logistics and other associated costs.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:08   #50
NOX

Oil sump failure, oil drains, engine ceases.
Accepted you change the piston, cylinder block ,and few connecting parts which might have gone through the treacherous time without oil. I am seeing parts here which not necessary to change. Return line ( am guessing the fuel return line),Exhaust manifold with turbo (turbo would stop working when the exhaust stops, why not just reuse the entire assembly), water pump with gasket (must be from engine cooling system to pump water), clutch disk, clutch pressure plate, Fuel filter, Air filter, dust and pollen filterment (these are definitely from the inlet manifold), Transmission oil (must have leaked when they ripped the engine out. I guess the same happened for clutch as well).
About the Differential case, am not so sure of the need for that. isn't it a separate assembly attached to the crank (front engine). why would that need to be changed. Correct me if am wrong. Am only talking here based on the stuff I know.
most of the sealants used would be for the parts above mentioned. That would reduce the blow. I feel that the service provider is not entirely true.
I would suggest you bring back your car and go for someone trustworthy.
NOX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:23   #51
BHPian

A nightmarish experience. I feel so sorry for your friend !
I guess there should be a way to pull those ASC fellows to court/consumer forum for quoting such exorbitant prices which is tantamount to Deception !
Now, I learn a great lesson here; always check out for any leakages immediately if you think the under body got hit !!
Old 14th January 2015, 16:25   #52
BHPian

When the oil leaked, wouldn't the engine heat up and the Engine temperature gauge indicator shoot up ?? So did your friend not notice that !
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:27   #53
BHPian

I have booked my Octavia from Tafe Access, Hosur Road and this is giving me the jitters! Am wondering if I should cancel the booking on principle.

But then, cancel on principle and then buy what!? In any case, I will forward this to the sales person I am interacting with and let him know that this is not inspiring confidence.
phreakv6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
When the oil leaked, wouldn't the engine heat up and the Engine temperature gauge indicator shoot up ?? So did your friend not notice that !
The time taken for an engine to seize without oil is too short for anything on the instrument cluster to register except the low pressure light.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
I have booked my Octavia from Tafe Access, Hosur Road and this is giving me the jitters! Am wondering if I should cancel the booking on principle.

But then, cancel on principle and then buy what!? In any case, I will forward this to the sales person I am interacting with and let him know that this is not inspiring confidence.
I don't know if you've noticed on the Octavia thread but i've also been considering the Octavia and now i've decided completely against it. I didn't like the attitude of the sales people in the first place its been almost a month since i called regarding waiting period for Ambition Tdi and i'm still waiting for them to get back. And now this service issue. I actually had a pretty hassle free experience with TAFE in regards to service when i owned the aforementioned Fabia, That being said the car was hassle free and went to the service center only for periodic maintenance. This is the first instance where there was a problem and by the looks of it all they want to do is make a quick buck instead of providing the most feasible solution. Now i'm caught between waiting for the new Jetta or stretching my budget for something from the next segment or maybe even get 2 cars from the segment below for the same total money (Totally confused)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
As per him there was no indicator of any sort. No flashing lights or beeps. Absolutely nothing, It just drove fine till it just stopped. He didn't know what to look for in the first place and it was already dark so all he wanted was to get home.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:47   #56
BHPian

On a side note and slightly off topic. My 8 year old Bajaj Discover's engine capsized after running without oil 4 times within 20 kms. I was unsure as to why this was happening. The 5th time i couldn't even do a kick start as the kick was seized as well. I took it to a nearby repair shop guy, who after initial apprehensions poured in oil did some heavy kick starting and after about 250 -300 kicks the engine was alive and running. The repairmen told me that the engine will hardly run for 5 kms since he suspected internal damage. It's been running ever since and have completed 600+ kms on it.

Does it not work in a similar manner for a car?
I'm sure the 110 cc engine is different from 1200cc engine of a car.

Coming to the topic, can we also think about the cost of selling the car in scrap vs the cost of plonking an engine from a donor car to do the math. Also why does it take 6.6L to repair a car which when new could be bought for 6.6 L?

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 14th January 2015 at 16:51.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
You could use our directory for FNGs in your place. You can visit them and brief them about the situation.
Hey, it will be great if you could post the link to this directory. Or PM me. I think it will just be helpful to have the link in the thread discussing Skoda ASS horrors. I have been considering the Octavia, and now another one of Skoda stories pop up. Will take the plunge only if can find a reliable FNG.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:52   #58

Hi,
Had a similar problem with a Fabia 3 pot tdi engine when the chain to the oil pump snapped and the engine seized. Your best option os to scout around for a total loss vehicle with the engine core intact and swap parts. Re boring the engine and putting in new pistons and rings never give the performance back.My experience. Also unless you have access to parts from the UK or some other country Skoda India generally does not support with OEM parts through its dealership resulting in questionable parts being used
Old 14th January 2015, 17:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Please get an estimate from a local Mechanic, 4.5+ lakhs is insane for repairing a second hand Skoda.

I think you can donate the car at Skoda Service HQ and buy a brand new Ritz instead!!!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I took it to a nearby repair shop guy, who after initial apprehensions poured in oil did some heavy kick starting and after about 250 -300 kicks the engine was alive and running.

Does it not work in a similar manner for a car?
I'm sure the 110 cc engine is different from 1200cc engine of a car.
Actually it would have worked for the car as well if they just replace the broken oil sump and fill the oil and crank. But the engine would perform really very poorly with odd noise, smoke, clank and what not. Totally not drivable. I saw a video on youtube where they removed oil sump from an old Hyundai Accent and started the car without any drop of oil. The engine sized and stopped but after cooling down it started again. It was running even after catching fire.

As for the OP, No point in spending that kind of money, if body condition, transmission etc are good in the car then I would suggest engine swap from a totalled car, just contact few scrap dealers and I am sure you can find a clean engine for your Fabia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks