Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 02:02   #136
BHPian

For an insurance claim the Claim Form has to be filled before the inspection is done along with submission of DL, RC and a repair estimate which is to be made by the repairer of the visibly damaged parts and the suspected damaged parts. No opening/refitting/repair job can be done unless the Surveyour inspects the car and passes the visibly damaged parts during the preliminary inspection and gives a go ahead to the repairer to start the opn/rft job keeping the suspected damaged parts as 'K/O i.e. kept open' to be passed during the secondary inspection. Don't see any of the protocols being followed here.
advaninilesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 08:45   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaninilesh View Post
Don't see any of the protocols being followed here.
Because it is Skoda!

They make rules that neither can be followed nor understood. SOP/Protocol - such words don't exist in their dictionary.

EDIT: Waiting to see what the surveyor says for this case!

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th January 2015 at 08:47.
Old 18th January 2015, 11:30   #138
BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaninilesh View Post
For an insurance claim the Claim Form has to be filled before the inspection is done along with submission of DL, RC and a repair estimate which is to be made by the repairer of the visibly damaged parts and the suspected damaged parts. No opening/refitting/repair job can be done unless the Surveyour inspects the car and passes the visibly damaged parts during the preliminary inspection and gives a go ahead to the repairer to start the opn/rft job keeping the suspected damaged parts as 'K/O i.e. kept open' to be passed during the secondary inspection. Don't see any of the protocols being followed here.
Here both parties are to be blamed. My friend shouldn't have authorized the SA to open up the engine. And the SA should have informed him of his options before he ripped the engine apart.

Now i understand why the SA was of the opinion that insurance would not approve, He obviously knew the protocol and he figured the surveyor would not approve anything after everything has been ripped apart before the inspection.

If this had happened 2 months ago whilst the car was in the warranty period it would have been interesting to see what Skoda would have done because the "oil pressure light" failed to come on so it was a mechanical/electrical failure.
Old 18th January 2015, 12:02   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Okay here are the pictures. The last time we saw the sump it had quite a bit of oil and both of us thought we saw a smaller crack. Anyways this is the present state it is in right now. The surveyor is expected to visit on Monday.
Sorry to see this beautiful car in such a state. Really wish to see the beauty back on road subject to it works out to reasonable costs. Giving it again a thought, please look for the following options in the sequence:

1. Try to get it covered by insurance.

2. Try to get an engine out of a total loss car.

3. FNG route.

Regards.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2015 at 11:48. Reason: Chaipani
Old 18th January 2015, 14:02   #140
BHPian

Want to know if your friend contacted any other dealer like Maruti and find out what is the normal procedure they follow and how to get out the tricky situations like this? I would help him to talk to skoda and insurers / surveyers in smart way and he may even turn the tables around.

off Topic : I also see no one here blames the engineer / Govt officer who creates bad pothoholes causing damage to property and life! its just like you put a big stone in middle of the road, knowing that it would kill someone and still you get away with it. Shouldn't team-bhp members do something about it before someone else gets into same fate-- like sending petitions / using media / hold peaceful demonstartions to highlight this? This might help other citizens to avoid this ordeal with their loved cars.
Old 18th January 2015, 17:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

There is no point in plonking such a large amount of money to repair it.If it comes to that best is to sell off the car for whatever you can get and the money which would have been used to repair the car your friend can buy a decent hatchback.
Old 18th January 2015, 18:14   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have my doubts if the sensor in the car was working or not!

Once the oil leaks, lower the oil level gets the pressure the pump would develop would decrease due to continuous infeed causing the warning light to glow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
egg ject lee my friends if sump is leaking in running engine low pressure light should glow...
Wrong.

Unless the oil pump is not damaged in the hit, in a wet sump engine with an oil pressure switch, when the oil starts leaking the switch/light needn't come on.

The pump will generate the oil pressure as long as it can suck in oil. Usually its the lowest point, hence oil pressure will be intact till the last liter of oil. only when the engine runs dry will the low oil pressure light up. But, by the time, in most cases damage would've been done.

The oil pressure switch is helpful in detecting leaks in pressure hoses.

Dear zombiedriver,

I'm 100% sure that the light must've come on. Since your friend didn't even notice engine power reducing before the engine seized, he might have missed out on the small feeble light too.

IMO, the way out for your friend is to convince the insurance guys for a total loss settlement. Usually this is impossible, but, in this case, as the vehicle still looks perfect, you might have an edge. There are guys who buy the vehicle as scrap, and then refurbish the engine at a very low cost and then sell the vehicle second hand, at a good price.

Otherwise, your friend can look into that option himself. Take the vehicle from the Skoda rippers, to a trusted & efficient independent garage who has access to a good machine shop. Source the parts from outside (nowadays with the internet, its pretty easy and cheap), and rebuild the engine.

Now, if he insists on a getting the work done from A.S.S, then many parts quoted needn't necessary be changed. Let us know, and we can advise on what parts need to be changed in an low oil engine damage. Also, some parts are grossly overpriced. Try sourcing it from the outside, like, you can save close to a lac on the turbo itself.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 08:58   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wrong.

Dear zombiedriver,

I'm 100% sure that the light must've come on. Since your friend didn't even notice engine power reducing before the engine seized, he might have missed out on the small feeble light too.

I have considered that he might have not noticed the light but that still leaves one question unanswered. According to the manual it is supposed to give warning beeps too. I doubt if he would have missed that too.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:29   #144
BHPian

This is another eye opener for all people looking to buy skoda.
How can a part be more expensive than the product itself? Beats all logic
Old 19th January 2015, 15:50   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
This is another eye opener for all people looking to buy skoda.
Skoda ASS has presented cost of individual parts and not complete engine unit in one go. Individual parts are costly and are procured only when just one / two components malfunction, not in the case when the complete engine goes for a toss.

This is nothing but a money making activity. Opening engine without survey report is another cunning act done by the ASS, none of the insurance companies will agree to claims once the car has been opened after an accident.

This is serious lapse of obligation / responsibility by the ASS. The customer can take the SA / ASS to the courts for this negligence.

I strongly suggest reach out to Skoda officials for what has been done by the ASS and firmly represent that you will take dealership to the court in case the insurance company refuses to clear the settlement / claim.

The quote in any case is far more than what you would like to spend on this car to bring it back on road, make it a liability on the dealer for this negligence and escalate it to Skoda first and then file a case in consumer court.

All the best !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 22:05   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

It's just my opinion, not everybody has to like it or accept it. I consider buying a Skoda equal to taking a cancer pill while some consider it as Fun to Drive/German Engineering/Worth the trouble. Different people, different points of view, aren't we allowed to state just that ?

I do not mean any offence to anyone. That Chappan inch ki chaati statement = You are very brave, what's wrong in calling someone brave?

Peace
Everybody is allowed to state what they want. We are here to take potshot at the cars. They are sometimes genuinely good or perceived as good. But that should not amount to using language like the one you have used. I am sure there are better ways of conveying things rather than quoting political statements.
Old 19th January 2015, 22:50   #147

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your friend's car. Now since the engine is ripped apart, you have very limited options. To start with, would suggest you to go with one of the following:

1.) Get the existing cylinder & pistons turned in a lathe, replace the rings and bring the engine to life. Your overall engine efficiency would still reduce by a fair extent, but it will still run thus helping you to sell the car. Overall cost - Rs.30K-40K.

2.) Get the half engine replaced. This includes the crankcase/cylinders & the pistons. The piston rod, crankshaft, cylinder head etc are reused. This is as good as installing a new engine. This would result in absolutely zero compromise on performance and your friend can continue to use the car as usual. Actual overall cost- not more than a lac. What the service adviser had quoted was inclusive of certain components which did not require replacement (in both cases). Basically he was giving you a brand new engine, whereas I suggest to give it a new heart in the same body.
Camshaft tunes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:01   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Here both parties are to be blamed. My friend shouldn't have authorized the SA to open up the engine. And the SA should have informed him of his options before he ripped the engine apart.

Now i understand why the SA was of the opinion that insurance would not approve, He obviously knew the protocol and he figured the surveyor would not approve anything after everything has been ripped apart before the inspection.

If this had happened 2 months ago whilst the car was in the warranty period it would have been interesting to see what Skoda would have done because the "oil pressure light" failed to come on so it was a mechanical/electrical failure.
How does it make a difference to the ASS if the money is coming from the insurer or the customer. The ASS has more chances of getting the money from the insurer in this case rather than customer who may now abandon the repair without insurance approval. Our prejudice for skoda is obvious but that cannot override common sense.

Quote:
I have considered that he might have not noticed the light but that still leaves one question unanswered. According to the manual it is supposed to give warning beeps too. I doubt if he would have missed that too.

Forget the light and the beeps. The photos that you have attached clearly shows a major impact to the sump. I am sure when such impact happens the driver hears a major thud. If he has ignored that crashing noise, a beep is too little to notice.

Before we come down heavily on SKODA/ASS/SA, you have already posted the complete history of the accident on this forum. Giving a stick to the ASS can work both ways. Either he will co-operate with you out of fear or simply shun you if he finds he is being portrayed in a bad light. Also, if the insurance company takes a notice then you have another problem. Don't you think you could have waited for the result of the survey?
Old 20th January 2015, 13:28   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post

This is how it is everywhere and in all businesses. Spare parts are always more expensive compared to the cost to the manufacturer. The cost of the spare part to the consumer is composed of the following:
a. part cost
b. spares inventory cost (separate from production inventory)
c. packaging and transportation cost
d. manufacturer profit
e. taxes
f. cost to dealer = a+b+c+d+e
g. dealer profit
h. taxes

So cost to consumer = f + g + h
Obviously, d and g are what the manufacturer and dealer try to maximise. So with so many additional costs added is it a surprise that the end consumer has to pay such a high price for spares?
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 13:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post

Before we come down heavily on SKODA/ASS/SA, you have already posted the complete history of the accident on this forum. Giving a stick to the ASS can work both ways. Either he will co-operate with you out of fear or simply shun you if he finds he is being portrayed in a bad light. Also, if the insurance company takes a notice then you have another problem. Don't you think you could have waited for the result of the survey?
First of all i posted it here for suggestions/advice regarding what to do with the car and not to point out mistakes done by the A.S.S or Skoda. There is no intention of portraying anyone in bad light. I have only written the sequence of events hoping that it would make it easier to take a decision whichever way things finally sway. In my first post itself i have mentioned what the SA's opinion was regarding insurance and if i hadn't posted that then how can i expect honest opinions or suggestions from fellow members? Because i posted it here i was able to understand that there is something called "consequential damage". Its not just that this whole thread has been very educational to me and hopefully might help someone else god forbid if they are ever in a similar situation. This whole discussion here chalks out the do's and dont's if the same were to happen to someone. I don't think the insurance company bases their decision on things posted online . They are in the business of saying no to payouts so they don't really need such a reason.

Last edited by zombiedriver : 20th January 2015 at 13:40.
zombiedriver is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks