Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 17:10   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

My only grudge is why does it need to be a VAG group car every time? Is it pure Karma or what? Whenever I start warming up even a little towards the group, another thread pops up documenting there relative weaknesses.

BTW is it all guess work going or is there some logic in this argument that the pressure sensor won't work in case of rapid loss of oil? I am unsure of how then a customer can figure out that the oil is being lost?

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2015 at 19:38. Reason: Post edited on request.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW is it all guess work going or is there some logic in this argument that the pressure sensor won't work in case of rapid loss of oil? I am unsure of how then a customer can figure out that the oil is being lost?
No one is saying that pressure sensor will not work.
If there is no oil, there is no pressure.
The issue is there is no means of determining when and how much oil is leaking.

So the engine may be damaged even before the pressure sensor registers a low pressure.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 18:41   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am coming across this very often on this thread: "fabia has oil pressure indicator, not oil level indicator'

Can someone please explain to me how oil pressure sensor will continue giving a healthy reading when there is no oil in the sump = no oil at the pump?
It won't. The Oil light will light up the very microsecond it detects no oil pressure and no oil pressure = no oil (in most cases, except if something else is wrong). In case of the car in question, If the light was working, it should have come up when all the oil leaked out as there is no oil in the sump and when the light does come up, the first reaction is STOP THE ENGINE like ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Buddy, I don't understand a word of this. But it conveys a sense of offence. Almost every one who goes for these cars are better informed & do so because it meets their preferences & are not unaware of other brands/models in existence. Let live.
It's just my opinion, not everybody has to like it or accept it. I consider buying a Skoda equal to taking a cancer pill while some consider it as Fun to Drive/German Engineering/Worth the trouble. Different people, different points of view, aren't we allowed to state just that ?

I do not mean any offence to anyone. That Chappan inch ki chaati statement = You are very brave, what's wrong in calling someone brave?

Peace

Last edited by humyum : 16th January 2015 at 19:04.
Old 16th January 2015, 21:01   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
No one is saying that pressure sensor will not work.
If there is no oil, there is no pressure.
The issue is there is no means of determining when and how much oil is leaking.

So the engine may be damaged even before the pressure sensor registers a low pressure.
Indeed - thats what happened in our Swift's case - the engine was okay but the turbo was gone. 5 seconds is all it took.

However, from the very second the sump was hit, the red low oil pressure light in our Swift came on. I simply fail to understand why it didn't happen in ZD's friend's Fabia.

Isn't that the very reason for which this sensor is put? It may not be able to prevent the initial damage (say turbo) but may alert the user so that further catastrophic failure is avoided, right?
Old 16th January 2015, 21:12   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I simply fail to understand why it didn't happen in ZD's friend's Fabia.
I have my doubts if the sensor in the car was working or not!

Once the oil leaks, lower the oil level gets the pressure the pump would develop would decrease due to continuous infeed causing the warning light to glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Isn't that the very reason for which this sensor is put? It may not be able to prevent the initial damage (say turbo) but may alert the user so that further catastrophic failure is avoided, right?
I agree!

If there is a underbody hit, the driver must stop and check for damages/leaks. Sometimes the leak isn't visible instantly after the hit so one should keep looking at the IRVM/ORVM to see if any oil dropping is seen as a trail.
Old 16th January 2015, 22:40   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have my doubts if the sensor in the car was working or not!

Once the oil leaks, lower the oil level gets the pressure the pump would develop would decrease due to continuous infeed causing the warning light to glow.

I agree!

If there is a underbody hit, the driver must stop and check for damages/leaks. Sometimes the leak isn't visible instantly after the hit so one should keep looking at the IRVM/ORVM to see if any oil dropping is seen as a trail.
i'm not sure how to check if the oil pressure low light came on or not when the incident happened but as per my friend it didn't so all i have is his word. And yes in an ideal scenario one must do exactly what you said. But here in this particular case, It was late evening so it was dark so looking in the IRVM would't have mattered and yes he is not very knowledgeable about cars.
Old 16th January 2015, 22:50   #127
BANNED

What is the current status of the car BTW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
But here in this particular case, It was late evening so it was dark so looking in the IRVM would't have mattered and yes he is not very knowledgeable about cars.
Sorry, I am not pointing out at your friend here. It is just a general opinion I gave.
Old 16th January 2015, 23:51   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What is the current status of the car BTW?

No need to apologize, I was just giving you the facts

Well the service advisor goofed up, my friend called ICICI Lombard on 13th to register his claim. That's the same day he got the quote for the repairs. He was told my ICICI Lombard to fill out the claim form at the service station and submit a few documents like his DL , cars RC etc along with the form. When we visited the service station that same day and the service advisor told us that we don't need to fill the claim form till the after the surveyor visit. I found it odd so I double checked and he reiterated the same. So we left there assuming that's all we had to do. Today my friend called to follow up about the insurance and he was told by the service advisor that the surveyor had not come yet. When he called ICICI he was given the surveyors contact number, when he called the surveyor he was told the survey would happen only after the claim form and the other documents were submitted.

So now my friend is on his way back to bangalore from his home town and will be filling out the form etc tomorrow. I have asked him to click a few pictures of the car when he goes there. I'll update with pictures as soon as I get them.
Old 17th January 2015, 00:02   #129
BANNED

Quote:

Well the service advisor goofed up
This SA needs a kick! What a trouble to travel so much just because of wrong communication.

Quote:
I have asked him to click a few pictures of the car when he goes there. I'll update with pictures as soon as I get them.
Thank you sir!
Old 17th January 2015, 01:03   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No need to apologize, I was just giving you the facts

Well the service advisor goofed up, my friend called ICICI Lombard on 13th to register his claim. That's the same day he got the quote for the repairs. He was told my ICICI Lombard to fill out the claim form at the service station and submit a few documents like his DL , cars RC etc along with the form. When we visited the service station that same day and the service advisor told us that we don't need to fill the claim form till the after the surveyor visit. I found it odd so I double checked and he reiterated the same. So we left there assuming that's all we had to do. Today my friend called to follow up about the insurance and he was told by the service advisor that the surveyor had not come yet. When he called ICICI he was given the surveyors contact number, when he called the surveyor he was told the survey would happen only after the claim form and the other documents were submitted.

So now my friend is on his way back to bangalore from his home town and will be filling out the form etc tomorrow. I have asked him to click a few pictures of the car when he goes there. I'll update with pictures as soon as I get them.
I smell something Fishy here!
The SA seems to be up to no good!
He might try and turn down the Insurance claim by telling the Surveyor not to approve the claim.
You and your friend need to be around when the Survey of the car happens. Also please keep records of everything. (Pictures, (Dismantled engine, Damaged Oil Sump, all Communications)

Skoda
"Obsessed With Quality Since 1897"

More Like

SKoda
"Obsessed With Making owners unhappy Since 1897"
Old 17th January 2015, 11:21   #131
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Prevention is always better than cure and I have practiced this many times when I knew I was going to hit a speedbreaker or pothole and couldn't slow down enough.

Normally when a driver sees a speedbreaker late and hits the brake , he rides the brake till the wheels hit and go over that speedbreaker or pothole. This contributes in the ground clearance of the said vehicle reducing considerably since the front shocks are almost fully compressed and in this case , I am assuming the oil sump being between the front bumper and wheels would have hit the speedbreaker.

Now if you let off the brakes at the last second, the springs expand , increase the ground clearance and also the shocks are able to absorb the impact much better since it is not compressed.

This comes with practice and has helped me many times ,more recently when I hit a speedbreaker in the dark on a trip, inside a forest with family. It was quite an impact and broke off my mobilephone holder stuck on the windshield, but had absolutely no issues with the car.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tharian : 17th January 2015 at 11:22.
tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 11:42   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I smell something Fishy here!
The SA seems to be up to no good!
He might try and turn down the Insurance claim by telling the Surveyor not to approve the claim.
You and your friend need to be around when the Survey of the car happens. Also please keep records of everything. (Pictures, (Dismantled engine, Damaged Oil Sump, all Communications)

Skoda
"Obsessed With Quality Since 1897"

More Like

SKoda
"Obsessed With Making owners unhappy Since 1897"
I genuinely hope that's not the case and it was just the SA's foolishness because me and my friend both travel a lot on work and are in town for hardly a few days a month. I know this should not be an excuse but that's the reality. So we are dependent on Skoda and TAFE access being honest to a certain extent.
Old 17th January 2015, 11:47   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Now if you let off the brakes at the last second, the springs expand , increase the ground clearance and also the shocks are able to absorb the impact much better since it is not compressed.
I have been doing the same for last many years just because I realized that if you released the brakes at last second, the impact even on small potholes, rumble strips is very less in comparison if you keep pressing the brakes.

Never did so much calculations and I have been happy so far.

Thanks for making it clear in detail.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 11:59   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My only grudge is why does it need to be a VAG group car every time? Is it pure Karma or what? Whenever I start warming up even a little towards the group, another thread pops up documenting there relative weaknesses.

I've been a strong advocate of the German and American cars for as long as i can remember. In fact i try and avoid the Japs and Koreans just because i personally feel their build quality is not as good as the Germans even though they make decent engines and are feature packed.

I feel that the sump being hit can happen to any car irrespective brand on our roads. But its the A.S.S that seems to be an issue. As people have pointed out this has happened to their Maruti's etc but the rebuild cost quoted was about 1/5th of what Skoda has quoted. I'm going to go ahead and assume it would similar for a VW Polo or for that matter the Rapid/Vento also.

In one of the above posts a member has attached a link to another Fabia having gone through a similar ordeal and in the picture one can see that under the sump guard there is some kind of absorbent material so in case of a minor crack the chances of one finding any oil leaking immediately when the under carriage is hit is low. I'm curious to find out how it is in the other brand cars.

And this was sensor and rapid oil loss connection was told to me by someone from Skoda so now if it was him guessing or if there is any technical background to it is anyone's guess
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 12:33   #135
BHPian

Okay here are the pictures. The last time we saw the sump it had quite a bit of oil and both of us thought we saw a smaller crack. Anyways this is the present state it is in right now. The surveyor is expected to visit on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0001.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0002.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0003.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0004.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0005.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0006.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img20150117wa0007.jpg  

Last edited by zombiedriver : 17th January 2015 at 12:56.
zombiedriver is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks