Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 14:04   #151
BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

4 months back something similar happened with my polo tdi on the day back from goa. near nipani my car went over a very bad pothole which scraped the under body of the car pretty badly and we dint notice and continued on the journey and almost drove 40 kms when the car came down to a halt. we thought its because of over heating and thought of waiting down for sometime and called a local mechanic. its then that i found out that oil stump has a crack and engine is dead. Called up volkswagen kolhapur and explained him the situation they asked us to get the car to the showroom which was almost 2 hours away, somehow we arranged for a tow truck and reached the showroom around 2 at night. next day went to the showroom early morning and to my horror they claimed a bill of around 4.5 lakhs for a engine rebuilt, called up a few friends back in pune and towed my car to pune to a local mechanic near KEM hospital called akbar. he did a super job of engine rebuilt and the final bill was 1.2 lakhs. used the car for 5000 kms after that and sold it for 3.3 lakhs.
gargashwin06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 14:40   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Everybody is allowed to state what they want. We are here to take potshot at the cars. They are sometimes genuinely good or perceived as good. But that should not amount to using language like the one you have used. I am sure there are better ways of conveying things rather than quoting political statements.
I don't find anything wrong in that language other than the fact that it was written in Hindi which when translated to English means 'A very brave person', where does a political statement come in that ? Chill out man.

Secondly, I stand by my statement about Skoda. Pathetic company, pathetic after sales with no moral standards and people who buy Skoda's are brave.

Quote:
How does it make a difference to the ASS if the money is coming from the insurer or the customer. The ASS has more chances of getting the money from the insurer in this case rather than customer who may now abandon the repair without insurance approval. Our prejudice for skoda is obvious but that cannot override common sense.
There is a term called as 'Procedure'. I am sure not many Skoda ASS people have heard of it. There is no prejudice, its all over team-bhp how Skoda rolls.

Quote:
Before we come down heavily on SKODA/ASS/SA, you have already posted the complete history of the accident on this forum. Giving a stick to the ASS can work both ways. Either he will co-operate with you out of fear or simply shun you if he finds he is being portrayed in a bad light. Also, if the insurance company takes a notice then you have another problem. Don't you think you could have waited for the result of the survey?
His duty is to do the job which he has been appointed by Skoda to do at his best. A customer giving a stick about something he thinks is unfair is his right. A service station of a company cannot shun anyone for the opinion they have about the service rendered by the company to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargashwin06 View Post
4 months back something similar happened with my polo tdi on the day back from goa. near nipani my car went over a very bad pothole which scraped the under body of the car pretty badly and we dint notice and continued on the journey and almost drove 40 kms when the car came down to a halt. we thought its because of over heating and thought of waiting down for sometime and called a local mechanic. its then that i found out that oil stump has a crack and engine is dead. Called up volkswagen kolhapur and explained him the situation they asked us to get the car to the showroom which was almost 2 hours away, somehow we arranged for a tow truck and reached the showroom around 2 at night. next day went to the showroom early morning and to my horror they claimed a bill of around 4.5 lakhs for a engine rebuilt, called up a few friends back in pune and towed my car to pune to a local mechanic near KEM hospital called akbar. he did a super job of engine rebuilt and the final bill was 1.2 lakhs. used the car for 5000 kms after that and sold it for 3.3 lakhs.
So the stupendous engine rebuild cost is similar across their diesel hatchback ranges eh, VW/Skoda. Birds of a feather, flock together.

@ Zombiedriver: Maybe you can ask your Skoda dealership to remove your Oil pressure switch, plonk it in another Fabia TDI and check if its working or not. 99.99% of the time it's the switch that is the culprit.

Last edited by humyum : 20th January 2015 at 14:42.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:43   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

How can the Skoda SA open up the engine if the procedure to follow is entirely different. This is plain ridiculous. Please don't expect the customer to now know of each and every procedure specially when it comes to rare causes like engine seizing. Make some noise with the Skoda dealer and it is there job to rectify the mistake. This is outright disgusting if the claim is denied on the above basis alone.
Old 20th January 2015, 15:04   #154
Senior - BHPian

Hi Zombie driver,
Eagerly waiting for the final outcome, how much was the repair bill finally?
Old 20th January 2015, 15:20   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Hi Zombie driver,
Eagerly waiting for the final outcome, how much was the repair bill finally?
We are still waiting for the insurance company to get back. I'll keep this thread updated as and when I have something new
Old 20th January 2015, 15:59   #156
BHPian

I was seriously considering to pick up an second hand Fabia in petrol guise, but this story of yours is really making me very nervous.

Cant we procure the spares outside the dealership?
Old 20th January 2015, 16:32   #157

Hi Zombiedriver,

I checked with Sejal Motors, (please see my previous reply for contact info). Mr. Suresh said he can build the engine. He could save you a few lakhs for sure.

All the best.

Regards

Uma Shankar
umashankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:47   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohith99 View Post
...Bosch authorized service centre which was relatively less than the price quoted by the showroom guys. We totally spent 250000 INR for engine rebuild with replacement of Turbocharger.

Good to know a BHPian is doing a great job, economically fixing all kinds of cars - the service centre also features in the Team-BHP directory at this link. The member who owns the workshop is M.Khanna.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 09:44   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I find the quote of 4.97 lakhs INSANE to say the least. What is he rebuilding, A PSLV Engine ?
Best comment so far .
Why don't the OP ask the dealer if they would install a new engine from Skoda? IMO the new engine doesn't cost as much as rebuilding a destroyed one. In addition it'll perform much better. Now I don't know if the dealer would agree to do it after all.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 17:54   #160
BHPian

Why not buy a used Skoda of similar vintage and do an engine swap and get it changed legally (engine number) on the RC The used car can also then be sold off, bringing in some money!
Old 21st January 2015, 18:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
This is another eye opener for all people looking to buy skoda.
How can a part be more expensive than the product itself? Beats all logic
Skoda as a brand is great in terms of quality. They make good cars which are better compared to the competitors today. It is only because of the dealers and their mischief, Skoda's fame is going for a toss in India. I really don't understand why the Company does not have any control over their dealers!!

The company needs to focus on the same at the earliest to retain itself in the Indian market.
Old 21st January 2015, 20:16   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Skoda as a brand is great in terms of quality. They make good cars which are better compared to the competitors today. It is only because of the dealers and their mischief, Skoda's fame is going for a toss in India. I really don't understand why the Company does not have any control over their dealers!!

The company needs to focus on the same at the earliest to retain itself in the Indian market.

Building a car with parts is always several times more expensive than buying a factory built one. The companies break even and make more profit by selling parts than the actual car. That's why I suggested trying to get a brand new engine for the same car. If will be less hassle for the OP (if it can be done somehow).
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:28   #163
BHPian

Quote:

So true. Unfortunately , your voice is too feeble to be noticed. The company has been handling their service department very badly. The VAG group ( sans AUDI) has been very slow to react to service issues. I hope they wake up sooner than later.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:16   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda as a brand is great in terms of quality.
In your entire post, I do have an objection to this statement.
In industrial practice we measure quality by occurrence of defects.
We all are aware the in terms of defects the VAG does indeed has issues with quality.

So how can you label them great in terms of quality??
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:29   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
In your entire post, I do have an objection to this statement.
In industrial practice we measure quality by occurrence of defects.
We all are aware the in terms of defects the VAG does indeed has issues with quality.

So how can you label them great in terms of quality??
+1000 to this. Cars are not a piece of furniture or a show piece whose quality should only be measured in terms of build quality. I agree that the build quality, like the plastics, steel, etc may be better than many other manufacturers, but overall as a car and; it, ultimately being a machine, I would personally not be convinced about this very 'good quality statement'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks