Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 09:47   #181
BHPian

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
My neighbor did the same..almost. Only difference was that he bought another Polo ( the top end this time) of the same color. I found that he had changed car coz of the number.
Its just that you loose faith in a car after sucha major engine rebuilt and also i was worried if there might be some major problem again. resale is very low for a polo was getting a great condition polo highline for 4 only 1 year old. German cars are great to drive but when something goes wrong very expensive to put right. Out goes the polo in comes the ciaz.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:02   #182
Senior - BHPian

check out 99rpm, entire 1.3 mjd is sold for 1.48.

bare engine 1.48
entire engine 2.86

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/replacemen...lio-stile.html
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:16   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Skoda and VW spares are not dealt by 99rpm.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:54   #184
Senior - BHPian

I was comparing between comparables. Skoda/VW's policy on selling spares and OEM parts individually to build an engine from individual OEM parts and Fiat policy on spares. Both are euro companies.

If an entire engine block is available on sale, it becomes so much more easier for owner to manage such contingencies.
Old 27th January 2015, 12:57   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I can only speak for the markets I know well enough.

Its NIT-picking, by the way. Knitting is what one does with yarn, but perhaps that is what you meant anyway.

Why would I mind, in either case? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

A few years of ownership experience with different vehicles tends to give one some perspective. However, you also have the option of learning the hard way.

Nobody is saying that German cars are bad. However, if my life depended on the car I drive I would pick up a Jap or a Merc - the difference may be minute but it may also be critical. I certainly value my life more than an online debate.
Thanks so much for dissecting my post.Nice English lesson. On a lighter note, you may choose Japanese sans SUZUKI . They are now 20% German. So going by the great logic, they are 20% less reliable now.
God Damn VAG
Old 27th January 2015, 13:16   #186
Senior - BHPian

Let us not go off topic and stay with the thread subject. Or else, it is likely to go out of hand, from now on.
Old 27th January 2015, 14:50   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
check out 99rpm, entire 1.3 mjd is sold for 1.48.
bare engine 1.48
entire engine 2.86
Now that is a very interesting comparison*. What's the difference between a bare vs. entire engine? Does the entire engine include the gearbox, and ancillaries like the water pump?

In any case, either price is more in-line with how we would value the parts of a car.

* I agree, its not an apples-to-apples comparison, but they're both common rail turbocharged engines of similar vintage & technology. They're equal enough to draw some price comparisons.
Old 27th January 2015, 15:47   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The following thread provides clear answer to the above conversation.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rman-cars.html
Not a right reference as there could be several reasons for using flat bed, expensive cars are usually not towed with a rope so even with a minor issue you will use a flat bed. Although I agree that reliability is questionable but Japs don't have the desirability factor so if I have money to buy and maintain a German car, i will do so
oxymoron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:06   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
Not a right reference ......expensive cars are usually not towed with a rope so even with a minor issue you will use a flat bed.
Inexpensive cars are also not towed with a rope these days and minor issues are attended then and there.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 07:54   #190
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please avoid off-topic posts. Thanks!
Old 30th January 2015, 11:57   #191
BHPian

It is quite evident from various posts in on this forum that quoted cost of engine replacement is not inline with other manufacturers (atleast one thread is about Honda City engine replacement costing around 2.25 lakh).

IMHO, i would prefer to not repair a car of this manufacturer and buy a different car. Just to avoid any fleecing for future repairs.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:37   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post

We are still waiting for the insurance company to get back. I'll keep this thread updated as and when I have something new
Hello,

Any update on the cars situation?

Has the survey been completed?
Old 30th January 2015, 21:39   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
It is quite evident from various posts in on this forum that quoted cost of engine replacement is not inline with other manufacturers (atleast one thread is about Honda City engine replacement costing around 2.25 lakh).
This may be a PD diesel of Skoda Fabia, not manufactured locally, so taxes, duties add up
Old 31st January 2015, 18:21   #194
BHPian

Okay here is the final update:

January 14th around 4pm: My friend gets a call from the service advisor asking him why he had posted on Team-Bhp for which my friend replies that it wasn’t him but me. The service advisor asks for my number so he can talk to me. My friend tells him that he would check with me first and then get back to him. He then says that all his suggestions were with the customer’s best interest and not the company’s.

January 14th around 7pm: I get a call from one Mr. Satish from Skoda regional office Bangalore. I am assuming he got my number from the dealership records as they still have not updated it with my friends contact information. Even the estimate that I have uploaded show’s my brother’s name on it with my number as primary contact. Anyways he had seen the thread on Team-Bhp and wanted to know how Skoda could assist. I narrated the sequence of events to him and told him we were waiting for the Insurance Company to get back with their assessment. He asked me to keep him updated.

January 15th 11am: I get a message from GTO saying that Skoda headquarters has offered to look into the matter and if he could pass on my contact info. I say yes

January 15th 12.30pm: Mr.Satish from the Skoda regional office calls back saying that the headquarters has asked him to follow up. He tells me that a colleague of his would like to talk to me to collect more information. Soon after that one Mr Jose Thomas from TAFE sales calls to talk to me about my decision not to buy the New Octavia. I tell him my apprehensions and he explains to me why in his opinion the Oil pressure indicator didn’t come on. Seems like a reasonable guy and tells me that he has a meeting with ICICI Lombard the next day regarding another case and he would bring up our case. But he is not optimistic about them treating it as a total loss because they would chalk it out to consequential damage. I tell him my friend has no intention of getting the car repaired at the quoted cost from his pocket as it doesn’t make logical or financial sense. He says that Skoda headquarters is trying to work something out to help with repairs but he is not sure about what it exactly is. He offers to try and allocate a new Octavia to me by march if I am still interested, I politely turn him down saying that I am re-evaluating my options right now but out of curiosity I ask what the prevalent waiting period is and the answer is 3-4 months but they are expecting a few additional cars in the month of March.

January 23-24: The Insurance Company says the expected. They consider it consequential damage hence; they will pay for the Oil Sump only. I call Mr.Satish and inform him about the same. He offers to see if the car can be just repaired and brought to working condition so that it is easier to sell it. He asks me what I consider an acceptable amount for repair costs. I discuss with my friend and both of us are of the opinion that it would not be ethical to push our problem onto someone. We decide to sell it as is.

January 26th- 28th: Mr. Satish tells me that repairing is no small affair as the Turbo needs to be replaced and that alone would cost about Rs.90, 000. Spending well over a lakh to bring it to running condition doesn’t make sense financially also as the resale for the Fabia is not that great. I request him to help us find a buyer for the as is condition. He talks to a few people and comes back to me with the highest quote.

January 30th: The buyer is a scrap/used car dealer and offers to come home and complete the formalities. Everything is done in 10 minutes and he promises to update me once the car has been sold.

There are a few things I would like to list
1. Wish my friend had driven more carefully but this can happen to anyone
2. Wish he had handled it better and just parked the car immediately and gotten it towed
3. Wish the damn oil pressure light came on as its supposed to and it would have been even better if it had beeped as stated in the manual
4. Skoda India does monitor the forums online and did offer to assist
5. It is the Dealers that is the problem, not the products or the company per se
6. One thing that would probably get the dealers to fall in line is if Skoda started to sell spares over the counter.

The response from Skoda India happened only because I posted this on Team-Bhp. They took note and GTO also spoke to them on our behalf. But the reason for posting it here was just to get opinions and suggestions from likeminded and knowledgeable people. The response has been incredible to say the least. Thanks a lot everyone.
zombiedriver is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 18:51   #195
BHPian

@zombiedriver
From what I understand after reading this thread is Skoda should have helped your friend a bit more than what they actually did . Many car brands in India ,only VAG cars have these major engine and gearbox problems .
If the dealers are at fault Skoda should handle it ,why should the customer suffer .
I feel sad for your friend hope he recovers from his loss here . A good brand VAG spoilt by a bad service backup and unjustified prices for spares making owning and maintaining a VAG car impracticable .
In 2013 when I sold my Alto and Indigo dicor wanted to upgrade to a rapid or Vento diesel base version . Reading horror stories here chose the amaze and dzire diesels instead .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks