Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 09:00   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Experience Of Adding 2T Oil In Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Sankar
This is also a very convenient number - add a pouch of 40mL to 20L fill.

I have read on many forums (on team bhp and general internet) that this is a good thing, especially with old diesels. My only concern is if it has any chemicals that can foul up the catcon.
Thanks Vina.
I'm not worried about the Cat because my car doesn't have it anymore. But i'm worried about the O2 sensor going bad in the long run. Newer engine oils are O2 sensor safe, but are the two stroke oils sensor safe?
Old 11th June 2011, 12:57   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Thanks Vina.
I'm not worried about the Cat because my car doesn't have it anymore. But i'm worried about the O2 sensor going bad in the long run. Newer engine oils are O2 sensor safe, but are the two stroke oils sensor safe?

Thanks for the good question. I don't know about that, will try to find on the internet.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vina.
Simple precautions should take care of this: Add very little, preferably about 1ml per litre but not exceeding 2ml per litre. Add the oil only after the engine is hot. Add the oil only when you are taking the car for a long highway run with a lot of high speed running. Do not top-up the fuel till the tank is near empty.

The high speed running with the engine and exhaust hot ensure that any unburnt oil is thrown out the exhaust without condensing on the innards.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 13:12   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip Ravveendrra. I will keep this in mind, i'll start with 1or2ml per liter of fuel. But would 1ml of 2T oil in 1000ml of fuel produce a difference which can be felt?
Old 13th June 2011, 18:21   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Ravveendrra. I will keep this in mind, i'll start with 1or2ml per liter of fuel. But would 1ml of 2T oil in 1000ml of fuel produce a difference which can be felt?

I checked on the internet - apparently 2T oil is designed to burn away (car oils are designed not to burn away) cleanly with the fuel. This coupled with the really low amount you'll be putting in anyway means there will is almost no chance of accumulation on lambda sensors.

Except for oil deposition, there is no other problem with 2T oil. Oil deposition itself is not a major problem because (1) tiny amount of 2T will anyway be burnt away (2) the boiling point of 2T is lower than for the normal car lubricants - any unburnt 2T will be vapourised (lambda sensors run hot)

I'll start using it after my first service, car is still new (less than 1k) and I don't know whether putting it is a good idea before the run-in period is over.

Last edited by vina : 13th June 2011 at 18:50.
Old 13th June 2011, 22:50   #141
BHPian

guys have any of you tried Shell advance 2T oil? its semi synthetic oil,

Is it good to use semi synthetic oil or just stick to mineral oil?
Old 14th June 2011, 02:09   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
guys have any of you tried Shell advance 2T oil? its semi synthetic oil,

Is it good to use semi synthetic oil or just stick to mineral oil?
2 weeks ago, during my 560 Kms run on the highway, I added 40 ml 2T oil (don't remember the brand) to 40 litres of tank full petrol. The tank capacity is 50 litres so the effective fuel:oil ratio came to less than 1ml per litre. My Lancer 2001 petrol engine is already smooth and I did not notice any further smoothness. Neither did I notice any increase in power. I got an expected average of 13.5 km/litre on a 2-lane highway that does not really allow you to cruise at a constant speed.

Last week again I filled her up with 42 litres and this time I added 80 ml (2 x 40 ml pouches) of Shell semi-synthetic 2T oil. After that I drove 270 kms on the same 2-lane highway. The most significant change I noticed were ...

1> I can continue to drive in a sedate manner in 4th even after the speed has dropped below 35-40. Also, I can jump from 2nd to 4th and the car still pulls fine without vibrations.

2> Switching the A/c ON/OFF did not make much of a difference on engine power delivery at low speeds. The lurch feeling was not felt even after switching ON the A/c while driving at 40 kmph in the 4th gear. I can't say if this was due to the fact that it was raining intermittanly and the engine was running cooler compared to the previous trip that was on a sunny day.

3> We usually downshift to 3rd for a quick overtake on a busy 2-lane highway. I felt the "power-on-demand" in 3rd gear to be slightly lesser than before.

As regards FE, I would know during the next fill-up.
IMHO, adding 2T oil to pertrol is good for sedate drivers and certainly not for the sprightly types.

Last edited by Chewbacca : 14th June 2011 at 02:35.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:47   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. . .

I'll start using it after my first service, car is still new (less than 1k) and I don't know whether putting it is a good idea before the run-in period is over.
Do not add the 2T oil when the car is new. It does not need it. I would recommend adding 2T oil only after the car has at least 20 to 25K km on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
. . .
IMHO, adding 2T oil to pertrol is good for sedate drivers and certainly not for the sprightly types.
I have never used 2T oil on a regular basis (like in a 2 stroke 2 wheeler). The oil is added only to clean any sludge, muck, carbon etc. that may be in the fuel lines and engine. I do not think adding 2T oil on a regular basis is desirable or recommended.
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 22:22   #144
BHPian

Quote:
2 weeks ago, during my 560 Kms run on the highway, I added 40 ml 2T oil (don't remember the brand) to 40 litres of tank full petrol. The tank capacity is 50 litres so the effective fuel:oil ratio came to less than 1ml per litre. My Lancer 2001 petrol engine is already smooth and I did not notice any further smoothness. Neither did I notice any increase in power. I got an expected average of 13.5 km/litre on a 2-lane highway that does not really allow you to cruise at a constant speed.

Last week again I filled her up with 42 litres and this time I added 80 ml (2 x 40 ml pouches) of Shell semi-synthetic 2T oil. After that I drove 270 kms on the same 2-lane highway. The most significant change I noticed were ...

1> I can continue to drive in a sedate manner in 4th even after the speed has dropped below 35-40. Also, I can jump from 2nd to 4th and the car still pulls fine without vibrations.

2> Switching the A/c ON/OFF did not make much of a difference on engine power delivery at low speeds. The lurch feeling was not felt even after switching ON the A/c while driving at 40 kmph in the 4th gear. I can't say if this was due to the fact that it was raining intermittanly and the engine was running cooler compared to the previous trip that was on a sunny day.

3> We usually downshift to 3rd for a quick overtake on a busy 2-lane highway. I felt the "power-on-demand" in 3rd gear to be slightly lesser than before.

thanks for the inputs, I am planning to put this on my Indica diesel which has clocked 1.06L km. with out the 2t oil i am getting 18kmpl to 21kmpl let me try with 2t oil. will update the thread with my experience.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:27   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you elaborate upon "the lurch feeling"
Old 14th June 2011, 23:53   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate upon "the lurch feeling"
Say you are driving at a constant 40-50 kmph in the 4th and switch ON the a/c, there is a distinct sap in engine power just for a second. The ECU detects the extra load on the clutch / engine and increases the RPM to compensate for the power loss. Try switching ON the A/c, eyeing the RPM meter when the car is standstill (idling). You will notice the rise in revs and also hear the condenser fan whirring. My car revs at 900 RPM at idling and after turning ON the a/c it jumps to 1100 and then gradually settles to 1000. The same thing happens while driving and translates into the "lurch effect" because the car is in motion.
Old 15th June 2011, 00:08   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Say you are driving at a constant 40-50 kmph in the 4th and switch ON the a/c, there is a distinct sap in engine power just for a second. The ECU detects the extra load on the clutch / engine and increases the RPM to compensate for the power loss. Try switching ON the A/c, eyeing the RPM meter when the car is standstill (idling). You will notice the rise in revs and also hear the condenser fan whirring. My car revs at 900 RPM at idling and after turning ON the a/c it jumps to 1100 and then gradually settles to 1000. The same thing happens while driving and translates into the "lurch effect" because the car is in motion.

Thanks. I asked because in my new Figo I have been noticing that if I'm driving in the first or second gear at a reasonable speed (rpm much more than idling) and then if I let go of the pedal (because I see slow traffic ahead etc.) then the car suddenly jerks - engine braking effect is so heavy.

Last week there was some let up in the weather and I turned off the AC. The jerks were much milder when I let go of the pedal.

I had been thinking what is going on - your reply partly explains it.
Old 12th July 2011, 23:59   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Previously I had got 12.5 kms/litre, entire 560 kms driven on state highway with speeds constantly varying between 30 to 110.

Last week, I filled up another tankfull and calculated the average.
Total kms 550 driven on 42.2 litres = 13.03 average kms/litre. But this time only 260 kms was on the same state highway and the remaining 290 kms in city. Thus I can conclude that the highway average must have been appox. 16 kms/litre and city average approx. 10

I asked the works manager at the A** and he dismissed any thoughts on injector clogging and /or damage to the catlytic convertor because 2 ml oil per litre of petrol is very insignificant.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 00:18   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Previously I had got 12.5 kms/litre, entire 560 kms driven on state highway with speeds constantly varying between 30 to 110.

Last week, I filled up another tankfull and calculated the average.
Total kms 550 driven on 42.2 litres = 13.03 average kms/litre. But this time only 260 kms was on the same state highway and the remaining 290 kms in city. Thus I can conclude that the highway average must have been appox. 16 kms/litre and city average approx. 10

I asked the works manager at the A** and he dismissed any thoughts on injector clogging and /or damage to the catlytic convertor because 2 ml oil per litre of petrol is very insignificant.

thanks for the info - I'll try it after my first service this month.

In your other post you mentioned you use shell semi-synthetic oil. Do you know whether it has any inorganic additives (zinc, molybdenum ...) ?

I read it on a diesel forum that any inorganic additives cause the ash content to increase and will slowly clog the DPF in the car - if the car has one.

Figo does (MJD cars do not in general) so that can be a cause of concern.
Old 18th July 2011, 19:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina
In my new Figo I have been noticing that if I'm driving in the first or second gear at a reasonable speed (rpm much more than idling) and then if I let go of the pedal (because I see slow traffic ahead etc.) then the car suddenly jerks - engine braking effect is so heavy.

Last week there was some let up in the weather and I turned off the AC. The jerks were much milder when I let go of the pedal.

I had been thinking what is going on - your reply partly explains it.
Don't leave the accelerator pedal in a hurry. Release it gradually.
I too feel jerks if I leave the accelerator pedal in a hurry. And the jerks disappear if the pedal is left slowly.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks