Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
by saying so u r discouraging all young students & prospective scientist
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/278883-post22.html

PS: Please do go ahead but make sure that you see both sides of the coin (merits and pitfalls) of doing any such work, it would be useful if you did list both of them out for the rest of the forum.
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:16   #32
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
4 stroke engines are built not to use 2t and are lubricated by the oil in the sump. Use of 2t oil is used as a trick to provide lubrication for fresh engines however it has its own downsides it increases carbon production and can damage cat cons.

Now you take a call if you would even take my word on using water with fuel to decrease knocking on your engines.
I do agree that every engine is designed unique, designed to perform optimally with customer comfort in mind (hence Ferrari and M800 are different), but of course all engines are built with margines to swing either way of the optimization, comfort/economy/performance...

It is also necessary to understand the limit to which we can push the engines while we are at mods/experiments. Its like a see-saw. whichever side you push, the other side raises to air. Be mindful about the other side too! Guys My piece of advice. If you like.

Now, coming to Psycho's water part... Why not? But is your engine designed for it is the question...., Read the following exerpt from Car bibles

Quote:
Water injection cooling

As weird as this sounds, you can actually make most engines perform better by injecting water directly into the fuel-air mixture. It sounds counterintuitive but the principal is really simple. Vapourising water into the fuel-air mix will cause the air to become denser and cooler. Cool, dense air results in a better charge into the cylinder head, which results in a more powerful burn during combustion. This naturally results in more power. Some high-end pocket rockets come with water injection as standard, the Subaru WRX STi being one example. As freaky as it sounds, when topping up with petrol, you have to add water to the injection reservoir at the same time. As well as providing a denser charge, water injection can help reduce detonation, similar to high-octane fuel. Usually a water injection system is found on turbo engines, and is engaged when the inlet air temperature exceeds about 40°C and the engine is on boost. The engine management system can also have a map in it for boost pressure versus temperature, similar to the ignition and fueling maps, to determine if water injection is needed or not.
Old 24th August 2006, 13:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
hi finetuning which other oil can be used or is it just castrol supertt
Hi yogi1771,

I think castrol 2T is good enough to give desired result....so stick to it with required amount of 0.8ml per liter...prepare with little amount of petrol...shake well & add to tank.....smoothness of engine is evident..

Enjoy.....
Old 29th August 2006, 22:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nozzle gumming

Will somebody explain this? My friend who drives a military refurbished Jonga diesel, listened to my advice of adding 0.8 ml per litre of Castrol SuperT 2T oil while tanking up and went to Sariska (near Delhi). On his way back, suddenly lost power near Neemrana and the vehicle stalled. It would start but wouldn't revv completely and when gear was engaged, it would stall.

A mechanic was summoned and after finding all parameters ok he opened up the fuel nozzles and they were choked due to gumming. The mechanic asked if by chance or mistake mobil was added to diesel. My friend kept quite and didn't say anything. But reported this to me after coming back. Can anybody explain what went wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Hi yogi1771,

I think castrol 2T is good enough to give desired result....so stick to it with required amount of 0.8ml per liter...prepare with little amount of petrol...shake well & add to tank.....smoothness of engine is evident..

Enjoy.....
Old 30th August 2006, 22:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Adding 2T

Today for the second time I added 40 ml of 2T & 75 ml of acetone in 53 ltrs of diesel in my safari. The engine was smoother after about a Km of running and I noticed that smoke emmission was less as compared to before. Maybe it is psychological.

Will check for another 2-3 times of fuel refill with this mixture and then shall make an opinion. FE would be a very important factor. Still haven't had a response for the Jonga gumming issue..!!
Old 30th August 2006, 23:35   #36
BHPian

I think culprit may be either quality of diesel fuel or 2T oil...........2T mixes very well with both fuels...also ratio must not be on higher side.......

Best method is to prepare it in either diesel or petrol then only adding this mixture in tank before refilling....

Enjoy....
Old 31st August 2006, 17:34   #37
BHPian

Hey how are you guys adding acetone, Injecting it before refill or just mixing this with the petrol.
Old 31st August 2006, 17:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

This mixture seems to be working well for some ppl in terms of emissions,response and smoothness but is there any change in F.E?
Old 31st August 2006, 20:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Adding acetone

Hi,

I prepare a pre mixture i.e. I decide on what amount of fuel I would be filling and then calculate the amount of acetone that is to be added. I take that quantitiy of acetone and take a litre of fuel ina jar and mix it. This mixture I pour via funnel in the tank at the gas station just before the attendant fills the fuel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
Hey how are you guys adding acetone, Injecting it before refill or just mixing this with the petrol.
Old 4th September 2006, 22:46   #40
BHPian

Lubrication Of valve seals & piston rings

Addition of 2T oil in fuel enhances movement of fuels inside fuel lines also reduces smoke......I have good experience in many of my friends different car running on lpg............most of them having mpfi esteems........after adding tiny amount of 2T oil in petrol & driving car for few km.......they observed that when they switch to lpg......there is remarkable improvement in smoothness of the drive....already with lpg car normally runs very smooth compared to petrol.....but they observed that after using 2T oil performance in lpg has been improved......this might be related to lubrication of valve seals & lubrication of pistons rings....with lpg this aspects tends to seems improving giving more smoothness......

Enjoy........

Last edited by finetuning : 4th September 2006 at 22:47.
Old 6th September 2006, 11:16   #41

Adding Acetone

Hi Finetuning

I just went ahead and tried the 2T mixture adding 0.8 ml to a litre.I made a mixture for 10litres and poured it into the tank. It worked amazingly in my Fiat Palio 1.2. The pick up seems to have increased to a great extent. The engine feels realy smooth. Drove around 70 kms.Thinking of adding acetone also along with 2T today. Let me see how it works and get back to u guys .
Old 13th September 2006, 09:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

@finetuning - is it necessary to pre mix the mixture and keep it or can the 2T oil be mixed directly during a fillup. What are the advantages of pre-mixing as compared to mixing at the time of fillup. I am no guru but wont the 2t also mix during a fillup?

regards
Vikram
Old 13th September 2006, 17:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
@finetuning - is it necessary to pre mix the mixture and keep it or can the 2T oil be mixed directly during a fillup. What are the advantages of pre-mixing as compared to mixing at the time of fillup. I am no guru but wont the 2t also mix during a fillup?

regards
Vikram
Dear vikram_d,

Its advisable to mix 2T with small amount of fuel(petrol or diesel) say 100 ml or more and allowing it to dissolve completely so that when u add either before refill ir after it.....it mixes well with fuel.....best method will be to calculate the amount of petrol u r going to fill then prepare this mix in small bottle & add before refilling.........we want very homogeneous mixture...if u pour directly such small amount of 2T it might not get fully mixed inside tank.....nothing more.....before adding 2T just check ur idling speed....with this addition ur idling speed might get increased by 100--150 rpm.....& u will feel smoothness of engine........for good benefit use for atleast few tankful.....

Enjoy.................
Old 14th September 2006, 09:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Acetone, 2T & PUC

I want to report this for the benefit of all. I have a Safari 4x4 1998 and all these experiments are carried out on this machine. Prior to adding acetone in the fuel tank (i.e. about 3 months back) I used to have difficulty in getting a PUC for my vehicle. It invariably used to fail with the PUC checking guy making a statement - "saheb, Tata ki koi gaadi pollution pass nahi karti". Then after several tries and running for few more Kms, my vehicle used to barely manage to clear pollution test.

After I started adding acetone about 3 months back, when I took my vehicle for pollution check, it cleared on second attempt and after the third treatment from acetone, it cleared the check in the very first attempt.

Now, a funny thing happened after I started adding 2T. My PUC validity is expiring on 15th so I went yesterday to get a PUC done. And mind you, already three treatments with 2T have been done. The vehicle failed in the test and the exhaust emmission norms were 10 points higher than the reccommended limit. I took the car to another centre with practically the same result. At another third centre it barely cleared and I grabbed the certificate. Out of curioisity I took it to the Transport department's own checking centre at Rajpur Road, Delhi. It confortably cleared..!!!

Any comments/opinion??
Old 15th September 2006, 20:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
I want to report this for the benefit of all. I have a Safari 4x4 1998 and all these experiments are carried out on this machine. Prior to adding acetone in the fuel tank (i.e. about 3 months back) I used to have difficulty in getting a PUC for my vehicle. It invariably used to fail with the PUC checking guy making a statement - "saheb, Tata ki koi gaadi pollution pass nahi karti". Then after several tries and running for few more Kms, my vehicle used to barely manage to clear pollution test.

After I started adding acetone about 3 months back, when I took my vehicle for pollution check, it cleared on second attempt and after the third treatment from acetone, it cleared the check in the very first attempt.

Now, a funny thing happened after I started adding 2T. My PUC validity is expiring on 15th so I went yesterday to get a PUC done. And mind you, already three treatments with 2T have been done. The vehicle failed in the test and the exhaust emmission norms were 10 points higher than the reccommended limit. I took the car to another centre with practically the same result. At another third centre it barely cleared and I grabbed the certificate. Out of curioisity I took it to the Transport department's own checking centre at Rajpur Road, Delhi. It confortably cleared..!!!

Any comments/opinion??
Hi gd1418,

Thats an excellent benefits of using acetone....its already proved that it reduces the exhaust emission....good that u r keeping a tab on what is happening & sharing.......to keep our car within stipulated emission norms is achieved with increase in FE & power.........its such a painful job to reduce emission in heavy diesel vehicles......this is not a magic fuel concept of Ramar Pillai as some one mentioned.......

I passsed on these benefits to many indica owners working for call centers transportation...they are immensly benefited......not only they are saving (10 to 15%) in diesel but are happy with power & reduced emission too......

Enjoy.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks