Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 12:23   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Experience Of Adding 2T Oil In Fuel

The comments are very encouraging from actual users. But can anybody comment on possbile damage to catcon etc. and why should it occur?
Old 6th June 2011, 14:45   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi Pranav,
Vina is right for his concern about the BS4 engine and catcon.
But we start getting BS4 diesel and supposedly lubricity factor of the diesel is reduced.
A small dose 80 ml ( 2T is available in 40 ml / 80 ml pouches at most bunks ) per 40 , should help in keeping upper half of the engine and valves clean and better lubricated. You may realize the difference almost immediately . With most diesel bunks having water, the oil would make most telling difference for the life of fuel pump.
I have had in last monsoon , water issues in diesel having to change my filter elements twice in a 1000km. a high dose of 2t immediately made difference to the sound of FIP.
On a fast run on highway , you can simply put double the dose of 2T , and you would actually get better mileage and engine smoothness will be noticeable even at high RPM.
Some even claim 2T reduces smoke . I am not sure about veracity of this particular aspect of using 2t , but i've been using 2t quite regularly to good effect.
I have a TCIC Safari 2004 with 96000km on the odo.
And with 2T as additive , some amount of cleaning effect of the injectors also would be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
BTW i have a petrol logan 1.6 , retrofitted to CNG . I have started dosing the petrol with a pouch ( 40 ml ) for 20 lit. I drive on petrol every now and then , and i notice engine smoothness has improved after starting to use 2T.
cng which is dry fuel does not lubricate the valve. The 2t oil may be helping cool and lubricate the valves .

Logan - k7m RENAULT engine is BS3.
@HIGHNOON: thanks for your valuable response. My 5th service (scheduled @ 25K KM) would be due in 2-3 weeks. Post that, I would try +2T and share the results herein. Would monitor this space for other user's inputs.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:43   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
The comments are very encouraging from actual users. But can anybody comment on possbile damage to catcon etc. and why should it occur?
The supposed damage to catcon owing to dosing diesel may not be a factor here because
1) The diesel available with most bunks is not pure. Plus there would be some amount of water and dirt / dust / rust in the diesel we get here
2) I am not sure whether the diesel we are getting in most metros is actually euro 4 specified.
3) The 2T oil ( MEETING jaso FC ) in question is composed to burn completely and is supposed to be smoke free .
Add to that 80ml to 40lit. dosage is ought not be significant as far the combustion is concerned though it may be helpful in increasing lubricity of the fuel and the additives in it may help keeping the upper the engine clean above the piston rings.
4) I am doing some guess work here and i may be not be correct but my assumption is a) the xylo is not as sensitive to bad fuel as say a WV/ SKODA. Nor would it have as many sensors monitoring the fuel itself.b) the catcon of xylo is again more hardy than some other known crdi cars.
You can take a survey on the forum of CRDI cars which have encountered A catcon failure. Its not necessary if they were dosing 2t / addtive / super diesel.
Old 8th June 2011, 08:32   #124
BHPian

Many petrol cars the PCV hose is connected to the intake manifold. The oil vapours are sucked in and burned off. If the case like adding 1~2ml 2T oil can cause cat con failure then almost all cars will have this failure due to burning of engine oil.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Many petrol cars the PCV hose is connected to the intake manifold. The oil vapours are sucked in and burned off. If the case like adding 1~2ml 2T oil can cause cat con failure then almost all cars will have this failure due to burning of engine oil.
The thing is car engine oil is different from 2T (or so I assume) - the car engine oil may not have stuff that can damage the catcon in the first place.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:07   #126
BHPian

Quote:
THE EGR ( exhaust gas recirculation device admits some amount of exhaust gases which is admitted along with fresh air for combustion.
It is primarily foe this reason , some engine oils are specially formulated for cars fitted with egr .
Besides as you mentioned the dose in question doesnt seem to be enough actually to affect the exhaust gases so.
But Oil vapour sucked in and burnt off ? Do you mean petrol vapour ?
Old 8th June 2011, 10:10   #127
BHPian

Quote:
The thing is car engine oil is different from 2T (or so I assume) - the car engine oil may not have stuff that can damage the catcon in the first place.
Thats the thing . The 2t oil is formulated to be clean burning and is made to lubricate 2 stroke engines and those running on LPG and cng.
I do not think any multigrade oil can be safely added to fuel .Only 2T with extra detergents and clean burning characteristic is added.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:
In 2000 yahama introduced RX135 5 speed with Cat-con. So I dont think cat con will be spoiled by 2T oil.
@Highnoon: I mean the engine oil. Due to the heat the engine oil becomes vapour inside crank case and the pressure builts up. Inorder to avoid that breather hose is connected to the manifold pipe. This vapour is sucked by manifold vaccum during running and burned off. If you have a chance to inspect throttle body for cleaning you can see oil build up.

Last edited by vijaycool : 8th June 2011 at 11:10.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:26   #129
BHPian

Quote:
In 2000 yahama introduced RX135 5 speed with Cat-con. So I dont think cat con will be spoiled by 2T oil.
@Highnoon: I mean the engine oil. Due to the heat the engine oil becomes vapour inside crank case and the pressure builts up. Inorder to avoid that breather hose is connected to the manifold pipe. This vapour is sucked by manifold vaccum during running and burned off. If you have a chance to inspect throttle body for cleaning you can see oil build up.
That breather pipe is connected to the air filter assembly in gasoline engines.
I have not seen that in diesel vehicles .
I didnt know that vapor is to be sucked back into the manifold. But would it not foul the air filter ?
But i dont recollect seeing the breather pipe inside TB. Its got a IAC and AC valve inside.
I 'll try and figure it out when i go for next service.
Old 9th June 2011, 06:43   #130
BHPian

Guys,

In both my cars ( without catcon), I find that 2T oil ( I use Agip) has helped in my vehicles' performance & quieter running. I put it directly in the fuel tank before filling it up, using an injection meant for bovine use.
Old 10th June 2011, 19:39   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Guys,

In both my cars ( without catcon), I find that 2T oil ( I use Agip) has helped in my vehicles' performance & quieter running. I put it directly in the fuel tank before filling it up, using an injection meant for bovine use.

If you paid attention: did adding 2T increase pollutant levels when you went for PUC checks?
Old 10th June 2011, 20:14   #132
BHPian

I have done one PUC check after adding 2T oil & nothing was amiss. I guess the reason being the miniscule quantities added.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 21:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I have done one PUC check after adding 2T oil & nothing was amiss. I guess the reason being the miniscule quantities added.
Hi, how much 2T do you add per liter? Im also thinking about experimenting with 2T.
Old 10th June 2011, 22:05   #134
dot
Senior - BHPian

For folks who are using 2T or PIB regularly, did you ever notice any kind of sludge development around the cam case?
Old 10th June 2011, 22:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hi, how much 2T do you add per liter? Im also thinking about experimenting with 2T.
Sankar

most people here (and on other threads and message boards on the internet) are adding between 0.8mL to 2mL per liter of diesel. 2mL is also the figure suggested by the friendly Dot-Cab Indica drivers in Hyderabad.

This is also a very convenient number - add a pouch of 40mL to 20L fill.

I have read on many forums (on team bhp and general internet) that this is a good thing, especially with old diesels. My only concern is if it has any chemicals that can foul up the catcon.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks