Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:37   #376

Hi -

This is what i get from WikiPedia about Waxing and Polishing. Looks like they should not be done regularly as it harms the painting.

Purpose of Polishing -
The purpose of polishing is to remove oxidation, swirls, scratches, water deposits, and other imperfections from the paint. In contrast to a clay bar, which removes contamination, polishes remove surface imperfections. Polishing generally is the single most time consuming step in an exterior detail.
Polishes typically are classified in two categories, a chemical polish or abrasive polish. A chemical polish, sometimes called a prewax cleaner, cleans the surface and removes oxidation. An abrasive polish removes a small portion of the clearcoat or the base paint itself on single stage paint. Abrasive polishes are classified based on how abrasive they are. The abrasive polish with the most abrasion typically is called a Rubbing Compound. A Rubbing Compound will remove heavier scratches and swirls as well as oxidation. It can be compared to a very fine sandpaper. The abrasive polish with the least abrasion typically is called a finishing polish. A finishing polish is used to remove light oxidation and fine scratches and swirls. It is also used to remove the haze resulting from application of a more abrasive polish. Abrasive polishes work best when applied with a machine rotary buffer or machine random orbital buffer. Different pads are used on the buffer depending on the abrasion level of the polish.

An "All in One" product typically combines a chemical polish and sealant to be applied in one step. A "buff and wax" contains a high level of cleaner and U.V. protectant or carnuba, producing a polish and a protect effect. Unlike a chemical polish or abrasive polish, a glaze does not clean or abrade the paint. A glaze typically contains oils and kaolin to fill and mask minor imperfections remaining after polishing, and to enhance the brilliance of the finish. If a glaze is applied, it is used after use of a chemical polish or abrasive polish or All in One product but before application of a sealant or wax.

Purpose of Waxing and sealants -

Synthetic sealants are polymer based and provide more durability than even the best carnauba wax. They are liquid in form and apply very much like a liquid wax. It is suggested that most sealants cure for 12 to 24 hours before layering additional coats on the paint or applying wax over the sealant. Curing involves the cross-linking of polymer strands. When cross-linking is completed, the product has "cured." Some sealants contain an acceralator, or are sold with a separate accelerator that is mixed with the sealant before use, which speeds up the cross-linking (curing) process. For best results, the surface of the vehicle should be properly prepared for a sealant, which involves cleaning and polishing the paint prior to application. Applying a sealant over a wax or surface contamination may inhibit the bonding of the product to the paint. Once you top a sealant with a wax you will not be able to apply additional layers of the sealant without first cleaning the paint and removing all the wax.
Waxing further enhances the gloss and depth of the paint, and provides even more but shorter lasting protection. Wax comes in many forms such as cream, paste, and liquid. Most waxes contain carnauba which contains a high amount of fatty acids. This fatty acid creates a solid layer between the paint and the outside world which protects it, and gives it a glossy finish. Synthetic waxes commonly mix low amounts of cleaners with high amounts of U.V. inhibitors to create the same protective layer that carnauba does. Synthetic wax creates a high gloss while carnauba waxes give a warm and wet looking finish.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd May 2008 at 16:04. Reason: Removed Color Tag & added Source link
Old 6th May 2008, 09:50   #377
Awaiting Email Confirmation

car body cover

guys i wanted to build a shelter for my car but its running heavy on my pocket
i heard this dupont car covers in the marker which are around 2k are good
anyone using this cover and feedback please

i have a black swift

i heard these covers are water proof , heat resistent and also scratch resistant (they dont scratch the car body)

can someone advice me on these dupont covers
Old 6th May 2008, 10:14   #378
Senior - BHPian

My interior plastics (black) have all faded due to being parked in the sun. is there anything to bring them back to black?
Old 11th August 2008, 08:08   #379
BHPian

How to remove whitecement from the body?

My underground apartment car park had a spot where there was a small leak and a white substance (white cement perhaps) drips down when it rains. Normally I avoid this by parking the car accordingly. Last Sunday I forgot about this and parked the car by the side of it. Today morning I noiced that the cement has dripped all along my right fender. I had a similiar experience with my Santro someone back and I removed it easily with Harpic based on someones advise. I am a bit nervous to do it on my Aveo.

Any advise on how to remove this?

Incase this is already discussed, please point me to it (and sorry for posting again). I tried searching but without success.

Nirmal
Old 11th August 2008, 08:13   #380
Team-BHP Support

Use light rubbing and cleaning compound to remove those marks. If you're close to Indiranagar, PM me for a time to collect that from me. But it has to be in the evening only.
Old 11th August 2008, 08:21   #381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My interior plastics (black) have all faded due to being parked in the sun. is there anything to bring them back to black?
Try WAXPOL or SONAX. They have dashboard plastic treatment stuffs and are easily available.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:33   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
My underground apartment car park had a spot where there was a small leak and a white substance (white cement perhaps) drips down when it rains Today morning I noiced that the cement has dripped all along my right fender.
Nirmal
Cement is alkaline. Use a mild acid. First though see if it comes off by patiently scraping it with a sharp wooden piece (like a giant toothpick), then use the acid with a Q-tip, only on the bit where there is cement, immediately wipe off, repeat until clean, rinse with plenty of water.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:37   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Use a mild acid.
Which acid to be exact?
Old 11th August 2008, 14:08   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Use light rubbing and cleaning compound to remove those marks. If you're close to Indiranagar, PM me for a time to collect that from me. But it has to be in the evening only.
Thanks Rudra sir for your tip and the offer. I was too impatient. I decided to take the risk of harpic again. I took a cup of water and added few drops of harpic. Tried it on an area which is not easily visible. Like magic, the stain was gone. Then I tried on the whole area and not a trace to be seen. Applied Turtle Wax on the area after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Cement is alkaline. Use a mild acidquote
Harpic is a mild acid I guess. Any other cleaning agent like Easyoff bang etc. might damane the paint.

Nirmal
Old 18th August 2008, 16:08   #385
BHPian

How to remove stains on the paint

Hi,

Ceiling water seepage has left some stains on the paint on my car bonnet.
Would appreciate if anyone can help me in finding a way out to remove them

Thank you,

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread Merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2008 at 18:32. Reason: Search before opening thread
Old 18th August 2008, 18:59   #386
BHPian

black honda accord with scartches all over

Dear folks,

I asked my peon to wash my black accord the other day and when I was returning home I saw the car with full scratches,that nutcase washed it with Vim soap(kapde dhonewala)and there are very deep scratches all over my accord,I tried buffing and polishing but no luck(did it froma local guy).Should I go for a full body paint?should i get it done from a good garage or Honda showroom?what is the damage like?;(
please

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread Merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2008 at 20:46. Reason: Search before opening new thread please
Old 18th August 2008, 19:05   #387
BHPian

How to remove stains on the paint

The magic work done by Harpic, is it advisable to try this on the bright red paint car , am little skeptical because the stains are very visible on the bonnet

Any advise(do we have a alternate for this solution), much appreciated

Regards
Sreenivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Thanks Rudra sir for your tip and the offer. I was too impatient. I decided to take the risk of harpic again. I took a cup of water and added few drops of harpic. Tried it on an area which is not easily visible. Like magic, the stain was gone. Then I tried on the whole area and not a trace to be seen. Applied Turtle Wax on the area after it.

Harpic is a mild acid I guess. Any other cleaning agent like Easyoff bang etc. might damane the paint.

Nirmal
Old 19th August 2008, 11:37   #388
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hi my two bits -learned from my dad who is a bit obsessive about this.
use a normal lint free "glass cloth" to wipe the car daily with water and car shampoo solution. Wash this cloth daily.
Use a separate glass cloth to wipe the glass surfaces to avoid scratching. Wash this cloth also daily.
Good idea to use good quality shampoos available like Amway/ Carnauba and others for general cleaning. There is also a good fabric spray can cleaner available from 3M which will help to keep one's seats like new.
After the car is washed properly, use a chamois leather to wipe the car down - keep squeezing this to wring out excess water which it will tend to absorb while the car is being wiped. The chamois leather gives you a lovely natural sheen.
These are available in SPAR and other such supermarkets and are not too expensive - a good investment since most of us on TBHP love our vehicles.
Happy wash-wipe!
Old 19th August 2008, 14:22   #389
BHPian

Bird Droppings

Dear Sir ,

On Sunday i saw two drops of white liquid on the roof of my car , I immigately tried cleaning with water. The smaller one went off but the bigger one around 4 cm is still there . My washer told me that this is bird dropping . I have tried using diesel , water , even nailpolish remover ( 2 drops ) , but this stain is not going off . My car is Swift and color is Silver

Help

Can any one also recommend professional car washer around delhi .
Old 19th August 2008, 14:31   #390
Team-BHP Support

The bird dropping stain has dried up.
Moisten it by placing a wet towel on it for some 2-3 minutes.

Then wipe it with the same wet towel in a circular fashion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks