Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 14:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue

I had an interesting discussion with SAs and Managers of Renault Service in Noida the day before yesterday. They claimed that they never had complains with rpm fluctuation and premature injector failure. Maybe a couple which were more than 5 years old. This led me to think of 2 possible reasons assuming what they are saying is true.

1. Delhi has BS6 Diesel for a long time, so low sulphur helps as pointed out earlier.
2. Delhi is a very dry place. Most of the complains if not all are from humid/ coastal locations. Kolkata, Kerala, Mumbai, etc. Maybe that contributes to condensation/ water in the diesel.

Anyways fingers crossed and let time decide.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:09   #62
Team-BHP Support

High time Renault addressed this or point-blank cover under warranty. We have been going through this issue multiple times and getting stranded middle of nowhere on multiple occasions. The latest one is turning really ugly. More details soon.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:45   #63

Was planning to by a duster AWD but after going through the thread I am giving it a second thought. Does the issue persists in 2010 facelift? Need help in decision making.
Old 4th December 2019, 20:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrashmisaurabh View Post
Was planning to by a duster AWD but after going through the thread I am giving it a second thought. Does the issue persists in 2010 facelift? Need help in decision making.
I think the issue is still there. Renault hasn't addressed it properly yet. Please refer the below post (this is for the AWD model)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4677894 (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view)
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:52   #65

Recently suffered the same issue. Exact same symptoms.

My car: Duster 110PS AMT Diesel RxZ

2 months ago while coming from Mumbai to Pune, engine seemed weak, the ESP light kept lighting up intermittently, eventually engine went dead in the ghat. Roadside mechanic said something about fan not starting and engine heating up. He shorted the fan wire to start it. Car limped back to Pune.

After taking it to Baner Service, they did not mention anything about fuel injectors, instead told me they'd need to change the whole wiring harness (costing some 20k) as the mechanic had cut the wire and it was impossible to fix it. Got this issue resolved from another garage, who fixed it for a few hundred bucks by soldering the wire back (with a lot of solder).

For a month car ran fine, after that suddenly one fine morning (after cold weather had set in) car showed the same lights (red electric light & ESP light). They kept going on and off, and car kept beeping. Took it to service center who are now saying there are two injectors failed. Total cost quoted is some 56k. I am worried even this may not be the end of it.
Old 23rd December 2019, 12:35   #66
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketrp View Post
Roadside mechanic said something about fan not starting and engine heating up. He shorted the fan wire to start it. Car limped back to Pune.

Got this issue resolved from another garage, who fixed it for a few hundred bucks by soldering the wire back (with a lot of solder).

Took it to service center who are now saying there are two injectors failed. Total cost quoted is some 56k. I am worried even this may not be the end of it.

Injector failure is a commonplace occurrence in the Duster 110PS engine. Renault has not acknowledged it yet. Renault has a injector testing procedure. Ask them to share details of the same or have the test performed in your presence to be sure of their diagnosis. Ask them to replace the repaired wiring (sub part). If its the radiator fan wiring just replace the sub part only, for good measure, and then conduct the tests.

You might have to shell out for a new Injector since you messed up the wiring voiding your warranty.

For the future, I would suggest:
  • Buy RSA (Road side assistance) pack from Renault. The 3-year pack costs as much a tank full of fuel. They provide towing facility to the nearest Renault Service center.
  • Buy the maximum available extended warranty for your vehicle. Renault has packs covering 7 years and 1,00,000 km. It covers replacement of a lot of components, saving the owner a lot of money when time comes.
  • Replace the repaired wiring with a factory part, for peace of mind.

If you love your car you should never get it checked by random roadside mechanics.

Cars today, come with on-board diagnostics (OBD) system which when connected to a scanning tool can give you the exact error leading you directly to the malfunction. It has a better stroke rate than trial and error method. Road-side mechanics cannot do this since they a human simply cannot know the internal logic of the ECU just by looking at the car.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:57   #67
BHPian

Looks like this is a global issue:

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/to...-dacia-duster/
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:31   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like my friend`s 110 needs a set of new injectors - This one is a 2013 RXL 110 - the car is refusing to accelerate sometimes with a warning light that goes away after a few secs. It has run around 1.1 L Kms. The car is a daily driven vehicle, maintained as per schedule.

Since the car was in a different city at this time, decided to show the car to Renault for a quick checkup, Renault confirmed that injectors are on their way out. During the previous service the SA in Bangalore did mention to my friend that injectors needs to be replaced in the next 20K Kms. Looks like the injector issue is common for this engine.
Old 21st April 2020, 19:24   #69
BHPian

Hello all, I read all the posts in this thread and I have a confusion. Somewhere it was mentioned that BS6 fuel will further exacerbate the fuel injector problem for the BS4 Diesel engine (economic times link was given). However, I also read that the issue might be resolved with the low Sulphur content Diesel now available (BS6). Can anyone suggest whether the issue will be aggravated with the BS6 diesel or will it be beneficial for the k9k engine?
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Things should improve with BS6 diesel, we were running engines with components designed for BS5 diesel with BS4 diesel. Not just k9k but other engines like Mahindra M Hawk, Entire Ford range, and Tata 2.2 Lit will improve.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 17:30   #71

My dusty is throwing tantrums at random, confusing me over and over again compelling me to ponder whether the fuel injectors in my Duster Rxz 4wd are really as black as they have been painted. Running just a little over 30K kms in five long years (a bashful citation, as many may consider for a diesel car because i just love going very long trips or simply no trips), i had to replace injectors thrice within the warranty period, one each at a time all free of cost, as i religiously followed the instructions in manual every time after seeing the nightmarish warning lights in the instrument panel. Then one fine morning after the warranty has expired, my dusty threw up the warning lamps along with its associated tremor on wheels, which by then was not so unfamiliar to me. I took the limping duster to the nearest service centre promptly. As expected, they told the injectors are gone and this time its two nos. that has gone kaput. Apparently after seeing my never-ending frustration with this issue, they offered me (in writing) to get one of the injectors replaced free of cost on a goodwill measure.

Dejected and indignant over this perennial problem, rather than getting the injectors replaced, i decided to take up the issue to next level something like suing Renault like a few out here has done or even considered converting my dusty to a garbage carrier for the municipality like someone else did somewhere. But fortunately and surprisingly after driving a few kms, slowly and purposefully ignoring the warning lights and shuddering on the wheels, the lights disappeared into nowhere and most surprisingly the vehicle began to respond as if all injectors are working perfectly (you know how nimble and responsive a healthy 110bhp duster is. it was just that perfect). Now i was really confused whether the injectors are really faulty or its a bug in the car's ECU. During the entire warranty period, I believed just like many other duster 4wd owners those who are sick and tire with the same problem, that the injectors are bad. May be! May not be!.

Later on, the dusty munched a few thousand miles perfectly with its signature style. I did two main trips with this dusty since then, as usual long, even one involving a short successful (though with a minor belly scratch) off-road adventure near Nelliyampathy. Ever since the warranty period expired, the duster clocked close to 8000 kms with two separate incidents of warning lamps appearing along with scary feeling of lose of power and sooner disappearing of those warning lamps along with regaining of its original 'pleasure to drive' credibility.

Ultimately i'm at loss. What actually is it? - a faulty injector or a bug in the computer program. I second the thought that it could be a software bug, since if the injectors were really faulty how could engine belch out the same number of horses?

Experts here can throw some light on this.
ssedrgmechtvc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:41   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssedrgmechtvc View Post

Experts here can throw some light on this.
At Kolkata the latest injector failure was from my friends Feb 2020 phase 3 Duster AWD RXS with 2,600 km on the odo! Beat that!

This was my ordeal with two failed injectors during a road-trip- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4677894 (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view)
But the positive side was, I got phenomenal support from Renault.

To verify whether it's the injectors or not, get the fuel backflow test done for each of the Injectors. All 4 injectors should give the same value and it should be in a range of 15-25. Above 25 or below 15 means they are going to fail sooner or later.

I have got this done last November- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4686331 (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view)

In your case, it may be, during that particular time the fuel contained more moisture or it was adulterated. Once that fuel was used up, the problem didn't recur back.

Many Duster owners are using Liquimoly injector cleaner once every 5,000 km. Do not put the Injector cleaner and keep the vehicle stranded. These are corrosive in nature and might damage other components if kept unused with the fuel in the fuel tank for a substantial time. So best is, use it during a 500-600 km drive and use it up in one go with a tank full of diesel. Am yet to hear a negative review from the owners using this.

Last edited by Samba : 24th July 2020 at 19:59.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:03   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
But the positive side was, I got phenomenal support from Renault.
Read your post regarding the trip and the spoilsport played by duster. You are lucky to receive the overwhelming support from Renault. But will they extend the same support during the post-warranty period is another thing.

Quote:
To verify whether it's the injectors or not, get the fuel backflow test done for each of the Injectors. All 4 injectors should give the same value and it should be in a range of 15-25. Above 25 or below 15 means they are going to fail sooner or later.
A must do test as soon as the lock-down eases. Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, i would like to know how much were you charged for this test?

Quote:
In your case, it may be, during that particular time the fuel contained more moisture or it was adulterated. Once that fuel was used up, the problem didn't recur back.
Does it infer that my fuel injectors are okay? Is there any sensor or something which checks the quality of the fuel that is fed to the injector every instant ?

Quote:
Many Duster owners are using Liquimoly injector cleaner once every 5,000 km.
That's a great suggestion. I'd used it once or twice earlier. But, the one i used was 'Liqui Moly - LMSD Super Diesel Additive (200 ml)'
https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Sup...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Does it serve the same purpose as the 'Liquimoly injector cleaner' which you have referred to?
ssedrgmechtvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 15:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At Kolkata the latest injector failure was from my friends Feb 2020 phase 3 Duster AWD RXS with 2,600 km on the odo! Beat that!
Rahul Rao was mentioning that Bharat Benz uses similar (Continental) injectors, and that child parts are available from them.

In ANY diesel vehicle, it is a good idea to clean out the tank every 2 or 3 years.

I use Iftex D - double dosage for one tankful per (5000Km) oilchange. No idea whether it is helping or not.

Everyone talks about the injectors because it fails, and is costly. But even more than this, Renault and its dealers attitude towards its rear brake problems leaves me aghast.

The Duster AWD has no real competitor in India even now. And has a lot going for it. Just wish it was made by say Maruti!

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 18:11   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A must do test as soon as the lock-down eases. Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, i would like to know how much were you charged for this test?
Mine was done under warranty, so it was free.

Quote:
Does it infer that my fuel injectors are okay? Is there any sensor or something which checks the quality of the fuel that is fed to the injector every instant ?
If your car is running fine for the last 8,000 km, we should guess the injectors to be fine. To be 100% sure, you can get the fuel back-flow test done once. Diesel filters have sensors to notify for impure/adulterated diesel.

Quote:
That's a great suggestion. I'd used it once or twice earlier. But, the one i used was 'Liqui Moly - LMSD Super Diesel Additive (200 ml)'

Does it serve the same purpose as the 'Liquimoly injector cleaner' which you have referred to?
It's the same. If you read the product description, they have mentioned- This additive keeps your diesel engine, injectors and other components clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Rahul Rao was mentioning that Bharat Benz uses similar (Continental) injectors, and that child parts are available from them.
I heard that too, and heard at Bangalore there is a shop who deals with the child parts of Continental Injectors. I have seen them available in Ebay too. There are several mechanics who can repair & service injectors. If we can source them the child parts, this can be repaired within Rs 5,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
But even more than this, Renault and its dealers attitude towards its rear brake problems leaves me aghast.
Every-time I visit Renault service center, I get the rear brake lining checked.

Last edited by Samba : 25th July 2020 at 18:15.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks