Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 20:28   #271
BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
My manual says 10w40 or 20w40/50. I'm currently running 5w30 semi synthetic. Is this ok to run or should I move to 5w40?
The mileage and pick up has increased with 5w30 but dont want engine damage. My car is 1061cc wagon R F10D engine, done 44k kms.
I don't think it will matter that much. If you go to authorised Maruti service center for service, they will either put 5w30 or 0w20.

We should avoid using thinner oils when thicker oils are only recommended, but what to do when recommendation of manufacturer itself changes overtime.
Old 27th July 2022, 21:08   #272
BHPian

Dear Members,

A friend of mine recently purchased a pre-owned 2015 Wagon-R, VXi AMT.

Car user manual is missing.

Appreciate if any member can highlight correct engine oil grade for this model.

Thanks in advance
Sail
Old 10th August 2022, 07:55   #273
BHPian

During the 80k service for my Wagon R Vxi, I used Mobil Super 5w40 API SN Plus as against recommended 0W20 by the manual. The engine has become very silent (although this is expected after an oil change) but this is different from the normal 0W20 oil changes that were done earlier.

Something seems out of place, the engine is excessively smooth, almost to 1.2 K Series motor levels of smoothness (we own a Petrol Dzire as well) .

The thrum at 3500 rpm which is characteristic for a 3 cyl engine is gone. I regularly cruise at around 100 coz of highway driving and I find the thrum to be rather annoying as if I am straining the engine. The thrum has completely vanished.
There was an audible difference while cruising at 100 today.

The engine has gone from a noisy tiger to a purring kitten. Is there something wrong? Will thicker oil damage anything here?
I am really liking the smoothness but don't want to damage the motor. Any guidance in this matter will be much appreciated.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:22   #274

I had ordered Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5 (As given in the manual) from Flipkart for my Vitara Brezza Diesel.

The package was delivered today, but the specification says 5W-30 ACEA C2 instead of ACEA A5/B5.

I read that ACEA C class oils are for engines with DPF. Can I use C2 instead of A5/B5? Is that Okay?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th October 2022 at 09:38. Reason: typo
Old 27th October 2022, 21:53   #275
BHPian

Suzuki Sells 0W-20 and 0W-16 oils for Nexa Cars. These are the premium variety for their fancy products. The 0W-20 costs around 1600 whereas the 0w-16 costs ~1700.

Now, what I do not understand is, should i opt for 0W-16 instead of 0W-20? I primarily drive on highways and any additional FE that i could get by using 0w-16 will be beneficial at gas stations. But the manual says, the preferred oil is 0W-20 for Ignis. Which one should i chose?
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 22:13   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Suzuki Sells 0W-20 and 0W-16 oils for Nexa Cars. These are the premium variety for their fancy products. The 0W-20 costs around 1600 whereas the 0w-16 costs ~1700.

Now, what I do not understand is, should i opt for 0W-16 instead of 0W-20? I primarily drive on highways and any additional FE that i could get by using 0w-16 will be beneficial at gas stations. But the manual says, the preferred oil is 0W-20 for Ignis. Which one should i chose?
If 0w16 is prescribed in the manual, go for it.
Highway drives in the top gear are so less stressful for the oil, provided you are not racing on the highway.

My friends ask me that they are going for a highway drive to their native and the oil is approaching end of life, should they change the oil before going? I tell them, No, change the oil after coming back!
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 22:53   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
If 0w16 is prescribed in the manual, go for it.
Highway drives in the top gear are so less stressful for the oil, provided you are not racing on the highway.

My friends ask me that they are going for a highway drive to their native and the oil is approaching end of life, should they change the oil before going? I tell them, No, change the oil after coming back!
Name:  Oil.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  73.9 KB

I have checked the manual and I couldn't find 0W-16 reference, hence posted here. There is no mention of 0W-16 anywhere in the manual. I did a Ctrl+F and searched, Just to be sure. I prefer to chose for 0W-16.
Old 28th October 2022, 07:06   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2372601

I have checked the manual and I couldn't find 0W-16 reference, hence posted here. There is no mention of 0W-16 anywhere in the manual. I did a Ctrl+F and searched, Just to be sure. I prefer to chose for 0W-16.
As there is no mention of 0w16 in the manual, you should avoid an intentional switch.
If this was put by the service center, the situation would have been different.
You get around 2% gain (not 2 km/l) by using w16 instead of w20, not a significant one in the short run.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:37   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

0w20 is the for the K14B 1.4 VVT engine or the K Series 1.2 engine. 0w16 is for the newer smarthybrid 1.5 VVT engines.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:44   #280
BHPian

I have been looking at quite a few MGP stores for 0w20 Shell/Idemitsu but all of them have refused and won't even order even after i am ready to buy the carton, same lame excuse "Sir peeche se he nahi aa raha" if someone has any viable leads for MGP store in Delhi which can order, kindly share as i am wary of counterfeit products at the local stores.

Also can this one be used instead https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi..._oil-55834968/
Old 21st November 2022, 16:05   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
I have been looking at quite a few MGP stores for 0w20 Shell/Idemitsu but all of them have refused and won't even order even after i am ready to buy the carton, same lame excuse "Sir peeche se he nahi aa raha" if someone has any viable leads for MGP store in Delhi which can order, kindly share as i am wary of counterfeit products at the local stores.

Also can this one be used instead https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi..._oil-55834968/

Had this same issue last week and my driver searched in two MGP outlets and could not find 0W20 and they were recommending to use 5W30 instead. Ordered a 3.5L can of Total Quartz 0W20 oil from Amazon instead. MGP stores are also so incompetent that they dont know which grade of oil needs to be used for which model.
Apart from Total Quartz I saw castrol magnatec, Idemitsu and Shell on Amazon but Total was rated API SP so wanted to try if there is a difference.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st November 2022 at 16:11.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 17:51   #282
BHPian

After a long time, I got some free time from my schedule which allowed me to head to my hometown to carry out some pending jobs and look after some loose ends. One of the important tasks were carrying out some maintenance work for my parents' vehicles, not anything major, just regular maintenance but this time around I decided to do it with a slight change.

Normally we always give our vehicles to the authorised service centre and don't argue much over the SA and agree to whatever they suggest and recommend, one of those things were using their own recommended engine oil. However after reading this page, I realised what potential blunder these people might have been doing by using 0W20 oil instead of the recommended 5W30 for my dad's 2010 WagonR, also there was the fact that they were just using average quality Indian Oil Servo(even Suzuki's own Ecstar is basically a repackaged Servo as its made by IOC only). I seriously pondered upon this and given my very good experience with Shell in both my Hyundais I zeroed in upon Shell Helix 5W30.

Upon reading this thread I realised that Shell even produces a special Maruti Suzuki MGO branded oil too but the fact was here in my dad's hometown Shell is a name very less heard of and therefore the local Maruti workshop don't stock these and advise on using Servo only, therefore upon surfing the net I found what I was looking for on Amazon and ordered it right away which was promptly delivered to my home.

My dad( a retired personnel now) was interested to see the car getting serviced and observe if the supposedly better quality oil made any significant changes and therefore tagged along with me, thus my plan of visiting the ASC got delayed by 2.5 hours and instead of 7AM we reached there at 9:30AM. I was worried by the fact that there will be a whole lot of crowd there since this has been my experience with Hyundai. To my surprise though the service station was relatively deserted which might be due to the fact that it was a weekday.

After doing a roadtest the SA suggested me a lengthy list of jobs including suspension overhaul, major repair of brakes and many other minor jobs which dialled the bill to 8000 INR!! Since I didn't feel anything wrong with the car and many of the components had been changed over a past few years and running of late has been quite reduced too. Then he explained me the cost of engine oil which is approximately 2000INR upon which I told him that I'll be providing the oil by myself, initially he didn't agree but upon speaking with his higher ups he agreed, here I was just thinking that if I could procure a Shell oil at approx 1200INR at retail prices how much less a Servo which is definitely inferior to it would cost to them that too in wholesale and how much of a margin they eek out from customers, I further tried to reduce the costs by denying the usage of 3M cleaning agent but he kept on pestering me and then my dad asked me not to argue and leave it to which I obliged.

Upon their credit though the work was carried out swiftly(not pun intended), it was also helped by the fact that almost 90% of the other cars which came for service were brand new S-Presso,WagonR and Brezza which mostly probably had just come for their general checkup.

I&my dad were waiting at the customer lounge from where the service bay was perfectly visible, after washing when my car came into service bay, to my surprise it was just parked in the bay which was just located right next to where we were sitting. After draining the old oil(which was in top shape as per the mechanic), when the turn came to pour fresh oil I was just too excited and went straight to the service bay to observe it, the mechanic said its the same oil which Maruti earlier used to provide in mass quantity circa 2007 but later switched to Servo. I just can't help but think how much has Maruti drooped down, earlier too they made cheap cars but those were built way better than todays' cars which just feel very tinny and unfinished.

Anyways the service was completed within 3hours and I must say that all the cleaning and polishing job they did, they did it meticulously and at a point upto 6people were working on my single car!!

The service costed me just a shade above 3000INR and if I include engine oil its 4200INR which IMO is acceptable in today's times.

Engine Oil procured by me, which is even approved by MSIL for Maruti petrol cars
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_a44a508ce7291.jpeg

Engine oil stocked by ASC, even EcStar is manufactured by Indian Oil.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_4a23b75d2f361.jpeg

My car at the service bay which was clearly visible from the customer lounge.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_0870152ede1e1.jpeg

After the service was completed I took the car to fuel station and tanked it up with XP95 and did a full tank of the same. Even though owners' manual specifies normal 95RON petrol is required I find my car to be running a bit more smooth with 95RON. Might be a placebo but still I prefer it.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_4357.jpg

Wish everybody happy and safe motoring,
Regards
Tony
Tony2298 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 18:04   #283
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Had the annual or 5000 km, whichever is earlier - service done on my 2014 Gypsy at the authorised workshop Green Cars last weekend.
Drained and changed the engine oil, oil filter, the front and rear axle oils and the gear box and 4x4 transfer case oils.
Yes it is a bit of overkill but then I would like to preserve this car as best as possible for as long as possible.
As a standard, Maruti recommends the use of Shell Helix semi synthetic engine oil and Shell Spirax Gear oil.

And considering the conditions that we operate in, in India, and the leisure use to which I put my Gypsy, I dont mind investing in its maintenance.

Same principle as feeding a good workhorse with top quality vitamins and oats.
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-23bf6eb582974947b4fc4d97418bb831.jpeg  

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-4cef81975c1f46f3b44f55c178925cc8.jpeg  

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-b88352ab05ff46c7910dbc0f92a7a5cb.jpeg  

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-b51edef84f3b4fa295d40d16d87f5e11.jpeg  

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-61f7a623d394486f8ff61b2dc6b8eade.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 10:13   #284
Senior - BHPian

What would be the recommended engine oil grade for 52k run 2014 Wagon R, 5w30 or 0w20?
Old 28th February 2023, 10:15   #285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
What would be the recommended engine oil grade for 52k run 2014 Wagon R, 5w30 or 0w20?
It should be 5w30 anyday. 0w20 is too thin. Even 2014 owner's manual also specify 5w30 only.
Chevyspark is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks