Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 20:45   #211

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

hello all, any swift first gen owners here? Have any of you tried shell or castrol 10w40 oil in your cars? I have the swift with the G13b engine, any suggestions on best engine oil for this specific engine? or is MGO the way to go? thanks in advance
Old 6th April 2021, 17:02   #212
BHPian

Could anybody enlighten as to what happens with the used engine oil in our cars when ASS replace it with fresh engine oil when we bring our cars for service? I read that the service centres sell it to industries for use as furnace oil. In that case, aren't we (the owners) entitled to be reimbursed this amount?
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 17:24   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Could anybody enlighten as to what happens with the used engine oil in our cars when ASS replace it with fresh engine oil when we bring our cars for service? I read that the service centres sell it to industries for use as furnace oil. In that case, aren't we (the owners) entitled to be reimbursed this amount?
Any idea how much this furnace oil actually costs? Or rather at what price do industries buy it for?
Old 6th April 2021, 18:08   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Any idea how much this furnace oil actually costs? Or rather at what price do industries buy it for?
No idea, this is what I just read in some online article. But will make it a point to ask the service centre next time I visit.
Old 6th April 2021, 19:47   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
No idea, this is what I just read in some online article. But will make it a point to ask the service centre next time I visit.
I think the dealership will have no idea about this. They would just collect all the oil and there would be some intermediate buyer who would buy it and later transport it to the industries to sell it there. In the middle of all this, I am not even sure if thats a considerable amount of money to refund to the customer. I believe the retail price of furnace oil will be cheaper than diesel, and that means if you include margins, transportation costs, you would not expect more than 50 rupees per liter. Which means for a typical car with four liters of engine oil, it would be easier for you to get a refund off your service bill than fight for a reimbursement for the old oil.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 22:09   #216

Hi everyone,
My fathers 2010 swift petrol(k-series engine) recently went for its 1 lakh kms service . Me being in bengaluru ( My home is in Bhubaneswar), my father took the car to the service centre and the guys there put Ecstar 0w20 oil in my car. The manual recommends using 5w30 grade. Upon asking the service centre my father was told that all petrol engines from maruti now use 0w20 grade. I drove the car today i.e after almost 15 days later and can find the initial acceleration to be low and harshness at idle.

Should i change the oil asap or go with the word of the SVC guys?

Also will a fully synthetic oil can do any good to a 1 lakh kms run petrol swift?( car being run on mineral oil throughout its life?)
Old 24th April 2021, 22:49   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya9100 View Post
Hi everyone,
My fathers 2010 swift petrol(k-series engine) recently went for its 1 lakh kms service . Me being in bengaluru ( My home is in Bhubaneswar), my father took the car to the service centre and the guys there put Ecstar 0w20 oil in my car. The manual recommends using 5w30 grade. Upon asking the service centre my father was told that all petrol engines from maruti now use 0w20 grade. I drove the car today i.e after almost 15 days later and can find the initial acceleration to be low and harshness at idle.

Should i change the oil asap or go with the word of the SVC guys?

Also will a fully synthetic oil can do any good to a 1 lakh kms run petrol swift?( car being run on mineral oil throughout its life?)
Change to 5W30 ASAP! Also write a Mail to Maruti about the deeds of the SVC.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 19:49   #218
BHPian

As already discussed on this thread, Maruti has started recommending a unique 0w16 grade in its newer engine.Is this oil thick enough to protect the engine on a long term and can a heavier oil (like 0w20 or 0w30) be used without harming the VVT?. Also the ECSTAR 0w16 claims to be FS but costs justs 1575 for 3.5L, a Mobil 1 0w20 costs more than twice for the same quantity. In pith I don't find it worth it to be used on a long run.
Old 27th April 2021, 07:36   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Change to 5W30 ASAP! Also write a Mail to Maruti about the deeds of the SVC.

Regards,
Shashi
Can you share that email id here? I'd like to write a mail to them before I face such a situation.
Old 27th April 2021, 09:36   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,
My fathers 2010 swift petrol(k-series engine) recently went for its 1 lakh kms service . Me being in bengaluru ( My home is in Bhubaneswar), my father took the car to the service centre and the guys there put Ecstar 0w20 oil in my car. The manual recommends using 5w30 grade. Should i change the oil asap or go with the word of the SVC guys?

This is a long standing issue with all Maruti authorized workshops ever since the K10 engines came out. Engines prior to that require 20W40 (my 2009 Alto does) but they started filling 5W30 as "one size fits all". Their MGO didn't come in 40 weight any more and they said what they fill was good for all engines. So I started to buy and take 10W40 semi synth oil (20w 40 was stopped by all manufacturers). Now I suppose the workshops are doing away with even 5w30 oil and filling the 20 weight to every engine.

It is NOT advisable. Please change the oil to 5w30 asap. It can even be 0w30, the lower number doesn't matter. In our climate the oil will heat up pretty quickly and attain operating temperature, and the recommended weight of 30w.

Well, your Swift went for 100k km service, but does it show 100k in the Odo? I am using fully synthetic ow40 oil for my Alto (37k on Odo) with absolutely no issues.
Old 27th April 2021, 10:45   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is a long standing issue with all Maruti authorized workshops ever since the K10 engines came out. Engines prior to that require 20W40 (my 2009 Alto does) but they started filling 5W30 as "one size fits all". Their MGO didn't come in 40 weight any more and they said what they fill was good for all engines. So I started to buy and take 10W40 semi synth oil (20w 40 was stopped by all manufacturers). Now I suppose the workshops are doing away with even 5w30 oil and filling the 20 weight to every engine.

It is NOT advisable. Please change the oil to 5w30 asap. It can even be 0w30, the lower number doesn't matter. In our climate the oil will heat up pretty quickly and attain operating temperature, and the recommended weight of 30w.

Well, your Swift went for 100k km service, but does it show 100k in the Odo? I am using fully synthetic ow40 oil for my Alto (37k on Odo) with absolutely no issues.
Absolutely correct! At first they use to give correct grade of oil but with time , their engine oil grade has been changing . I wont be surprised if some months later , they will put another grade of oil mentioning nothing will happen. Its only this service that they put 0w20 grade, before it was 5w30 itself. Time to revert back to recommended oil

Well not exactly 100k kms , just a bit shy of 90k .
Been using mineral oil for the whole period but now due to covid-19 , usage has gone up and i was wondering if fully synthetic oil will do any good?

Thanks for the information
Old 27th April 2021, 10:55   #222
BHPian

Quote:
--the guys there put Ecstar 0w20 oil in my car. The manual recommends using 5w30 grade.
--Should i change the oil asap or go with the word of the SVC guys?
Escalate the issue with Maruti and the Service Centre will replace the oil in your car with the correct grade free of cost since it is a mistake at their end.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:29   #223
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2016 model swift diesel. For the 80K service, MASS put IOC 15W40 oil. Any idea, how many kilometres this oil is good for? Which is the preferred synthetic oil for Maruti Swift ZDI? Can synthetic oil lasts 10,000kms for MJD engines.
Old 19th May 2021, 14:30   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have a 2016 model swift diesel. For the 80K service, MASS put IOC 15W40 oil. Any idea, how many kilometres this oil is good for? Which is the preferred synthetic oil for Maruti Swift ZDI? Can synthetic oil lasts 10,000kms for MJD engines.
Yes, fully synthetic oils can last for 10K KMS in DDiS.

Use this: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00SIXYHS2/
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 19:18   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
As per my friend in MSIL, they have some coatings also on the cylinder walls, and the older engines are now called as HF(High Friction) and the newer engines are called as (LF) internally. The exact same case is there with the K10.

The former causes lots of blowby and even engine damage in some cases, while the latter causes decrease in mileage and sluggishness.
@Leoshashi: Bumping up an old post of yours. There were some queries I received from some fellow Ignis owners and found your post clarifying on the Engines updates made by Maruti and trying to make an engine oil recommendation for them.

Summarizing my understanding of your earlier post (please correct as needed):
  • Using the thinner oil in older engines (HF) is dangerous and could lead to reduction in engine life.
  • And using the thicker oil in newer engines (LF) leads to sluggishness and reduction in mileage.

So just stick to grade mentioned in the Manual is the Best Policy! Also wanted to check if you had any updates on this topic in the light of BS-VI.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks