Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 13:54   #166
BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Second free service of my Feb 2020 Swift VXi AMT coming up. The car has run about 3700 kms so far. Will the engine oil and air filter be changed in the second service? Or should I wait for the third service for the same? Thanks!
Old 30th July 2020, 14:06   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Second free service of my Feb 2020 Swift VXi AMT coming up. The car has run about 3700 kms so far. Will the engine oil and air filter be changed in the second service? Or should I wait for the third service for the same? Thanks!
No, you have to change the oil at the third service, at 10k kms or one year of purchase which is earliest.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 19:54   #168
BHPian

My Maruti A-star which is Nov 2010 make is due for 70K service and I bought Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 about an year ago in Diwali sale on amazon with the intention of using this Engine oil in my car this time. The service was due in April but got postponed due to lock down. I am finally about to get my service done and when I was going through the owner manual I saw that the recommended engine oil classification is SG+, SL and SJ where as the Shell oil I have is SN Plus.
Will it be a good idea to go ahead with SN Plus oil instead of Maruti recommendation.
Old 29th August 2020, 09:15   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
My Maruti A-star which is Nov 2010 make is due for 70K service and I bought Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 about an year ago in Diwali sale on amazon with the intention of using this Engine oil in my car this time. The service was due in April but got postponed due to lock down. I am finally about to get my service done and when I was going through the owner manual I saw that the recommended engine oil classification is SG+, SL and SJ where as the Shell oil I have is SN Plus.
Will it be a good idea to go ahead with SN Plus oil instead of Maruti recommendation.
SN+ is the latest rating, and they are backwards compatible. Go ahead, Shell Helix 5W30 is my favorite for that grade.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:58   #170
BHPian

Hi
I am planning on shifting to fully synthetic engine oil on my baleno 2019 petrol model on 20k service. Previously used engine oil was 0w20 IOCL on 10k service. I called the MASS to enquire about the synthetic oil and they said it will be arranged. Which brand of engine oil in MGP should I go for??
Old 27th September 2020, 16:17   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpzonwheels View Post
Hi
I am planning on shifting to fully synthetic engine oil on my baleno 2019 petrol model on 20k service. Previously used engine oil was 0w20 IOCL on 10k service. I called the MASS to enquire about the synthetic oil and they said it will be arranged. Which brand of engine oil in MGP should I go for??
0W20 itself is a grade which cannot be formulated in minerals as far as I know. One thing you should be aware of, if you utter "fully synthetic" in front of MASS then they usually put 0W40 or some other heavy oil. I strongly recommend against that.

I believe 0w20 is recommended in your owner's manual for your Baleno, stick to that. Ask them to procure Shell or Mobil's 0w20 and that should keep you more than happy as its much better than Servo.

If they don't object to owners bringing their own oil, you may try Amsoil's 0W20.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 16:39   #172
BHPian

This is the one they used for the previous service at 10k Kms. It costs Rs 305.85 per litre and I thought this one is mineral oil, my bad .I don't know much about it. Yes, 0w20 is the recommended oil as per the manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
0W20 itself is a grade which cannot be formulated in minerals as far as I know. One thing you should be aware of, if you utter "fully synthetic" in front of MASS then they usually put 0W40 or some other heavy oil. I strongly recommend against that.

I believe 0w20 is recommended in your owner's manual for your Baleno, stick to that. Ask them to procure Shell or Mobil's 0w20 and that should keep you more than happy as its much better than Servo.

If they don't object to owners bringing their own oil, you may try Amsoil's 0W20.

Regards,
Shashi
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-picsart_092704.30.15.jpg  

Kpzonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 23:06   #173
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Shashi,

I have a baleno 2016 which has done 41K and im going to get it serviced soon. The manual does not have the temp dependant charts as in earlier cars. It simply says Maruti Genuine Oil 0W20 is recommended for optimum performance and fuel efficiency of engine. Have been using the same 0w20 till now.

Why do you recommend strongly against 0W40 in your above post? I mean is it because one should generally avoid any grade other than what's recommended in manual or is it something specifically about 0W40 in Baleno? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 19th October 2020, 23:41   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Why do you recommend strongly against 0W40 in your above post?
Because oil grade is decided after considering many factors like clearances, pressure etc. 0W40 is almost double the thickness of 0W20 when the engine is at its optimum working temperature. While no major damage will happen anytime soon, I have seen a case where a Swift engine, which needed 0W16 was damaged when some FNG put W40 grade oil. Even if no damage happens, you are wasting your engine's output in overcoming that drag produced by thicker oil, when your engine is capable of taking thinner oil due to tighter clearances.

As opposed to popular belief where people think grades like 0W16 or 0W20 are incompetent in protecting the engine at higher temperatures, they are pretty competent and a lot of work goes into engineering such grades, which is obviously beyond the limits of this thread.

So while a minor deviation is fine, for example 0W16 to 0W20, I'll never recommend a huge jump like 0W20 to 0W40.

Some videos about lower viscosity oils:

Role of correct oil grade in VVT engines:

This is why, I'll always stick to manufacturer's recommendation. Their R&D knows better than any one of us. Period!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 18:33   #175

Dear Members,

After reading the thread, I am bit confused. I have MS Baleno (2016) petrol version. Though the owner manual mentions 0W20 as the recommended grade, the service station has used 5W30 during last servicing. The advisor said that the 5W30 is more suited to Pune weather and also that since 0W20 is more thinner it will lead to more wear and tear.

I wanted to know what should I do? Should I change the oil back to 0W20 or should I stick with 5W30 grade? Pls suggest.

Thank you,
Amit
Old 14th November 2020, 20:26   #176
BHPian

I have done 20k periodic service of our baleno today. MASS changed the engine oil with 0w-16 grade instead of the recommended 0w-20. I have specifically told them to pour MGA shell 0w-20 engine oil but instead they have done this . Should I change it back to 0w-20?
PS: they have poured shell MGA engine oil in their defense, although changed the grade.
Quote:
So while a minor deviation is fine, for example 0W16 to 0W20, I'll never recommend a huge jump like 0W20 to 0W40.
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-picsart_111408.13.29.jpg  

Old 14th November 2020, 21:21   #177
BHPian

Quote:
I have done 20k periodic service of our baleno today. MASS changed the engine oil with 0w-16 grade instead of the recommended 0w-20. I have specifically told them to pour MGA shell 0w-20 engine oil but instead they have done this. Should I change it back to 0w-20?
PS: they have poured shell MGA engine oil in their defense, although changed the grade.
I think it might not matter a lot especially if your running is low and the car is used sparingly. But if it's more I would advise you to get it changed it as soon as possible. The normal viscosity of 0W-20 oil at 100C is between 8.2cSt-8.6cSt, whereas for 0W-16 it is 7.1-7.4cSt. That isn't significant enough in the short term, but in the long term, you might have bad consequences.

Also, check for any blowby when the engine is at its operating temperature. If it is there then immediately get your oil changed.

Also drop a mail to Maruti Suzuki regarding the same. I've seen a few bhpian's got their oil changed to 0W20 in their 5W30 recommended F10D and F8D engines which caused excessive blowby. After dropping an email to Suzuki, they got their oil replaced.

Abhishek.
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:24   #178
BHPian

Actually, running is on the higher side. It is a September 2019 model and clocked 20k Kms as on today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
I think it might not matter a lot especially if your running is low and the car is used sparingly. But if it's more I would advise you to get it changed it as soon as possible. The normal viscosity of 0W-20 oil at 100C is between 8.2cSt-8.6cSt, whereas for 0W-16 it is 7.1-7.4cSt. That isn't significant enough in the short term, but in the long term, you might have bad consequences.

Also, check for any blowby when the engine is at its operating temperature. If it is there then immediately get your oil changed.

Also drop a mail to Maruti Suzuki regarding the same. I've seen a few bhpian's got their oil changed to 0W20 in their 5W30 recommended F10D and F8D engines which caused excessive blowby. After dropping an email to Suzuki, they got their oil replaced.

Abhishek.
Old 14th November 2020, 21:30   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, running is on the higher side. It is a September 2019 model and clocked 20k Kms as on today.
I would suggest you to get it changed. Drop an email to Maruti and they shall be able to handle the rest. Also I think, bhpian Leoshashi can shed some more light here.
Also, if you change the oil, don't forget to replace the oil filter along with it.
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:46   #180
BHPian

Engine noise is pretty much unchanged and also there is no excessive smoke coming through exhaust. I will check again tomorrow as service was done today. Yeah, will drop an email to Suzuki.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
I would suggest you to get it changed. Drop an email to Maruti and they shall be able to handle the rest. Also I think, bhpian Leoshashi can shed some more light here.
Also, if you change the oil, don't forget to replace the oil filter along with it.
Kpzonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks