Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 12:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Excellent information. Should help many who want to stick to a particular brand.

But Is it possible to get PDS sheets of these oils?
Old 6th July 2017, 22:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Got hold of the fully synthetic 0W20 oil by shell at my nearby MGP dealer. To my luck on a casual enquiry they had the oil in stock. The same place earlier used to raise eyebrows for 5W30 itself. Today they initially told that they have only 0W40 in FS. But the chap there later checked their stock and found this one out:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499359441.339119.jpg

At Rs. 1.5k it looks to be VFM. I think I paid the same amount during the first service for Castrol 0W20 oil which I didn't like since after the first service the engine smoothness and vibrations at idle have actually increased slightly. Secondly, since this is a car which I will take it for service based on distance compared to my earlier cars, I wanted to switch to fully synthetic to maintain a 10k kms oil change interval. For the driving conditions here, I would have preferred a 5-8k kms oil.change interval for semi synthetic oil. But with this I think I can take it to 10k. The car sees bumper to bumper traffic, highways, prolonged idling, redlines every now and then and for such a condition I cant give it inferior oil.

Planning to get it changed at my usual place Autokraft since I doubt the MASS would do it for me. Thanks for sharing this valuable info Shashi
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 16:08   #33
BANNED

Two weeks ago, I got my Ritz ZDi serviced from a Maruti Service center in Cochin and here is my bill for 3.1L of Fully synthetic engine oil:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-clipboard01.jpg

I was really shocked seeing Rs.3479 for the engine oil alone.

Did they cheat me or is it Maruti's standard pricing for a 0W40 diesel engine oil?

Last edited by mithun : 17th July 2017 at 16:12.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:06   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I was really shocked seeing Rs.3479 for the engine oil alone.

Did they cheat me or is it Maruti's standard pricing for a 0W40 diesel engine oil?
The price looks okay, MGSO from Mobil was priced around 1100 rupees per litre when I last checked, so your bill seems fine.

Secondly, since the entire system is computerised, they just have to enter the part number and quantity, and the system throws up the total price. They cannot manipulate the pricing. So all you need to check is if they genuinely used the synthetic oil or not. Sometimes they do goof ups, deliberately too, so one needs to be a bit careful there.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: BHPian Torino was also charged a similar amount for 0w40 Mobil1: Link

Last edited by Leoshashi : 19th July 2017 at 15:13.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 10:42   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The price looks okay, MGSO from Mobil was priced around 1100 rupees per litre when I last checked, so your bill seems fine.
Thanks for the info.

Then why oils like this costs less from the same company:

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00SIXYHS2/r...I3PONTS4ODOQ5U

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2017 at 19:33. Reason: quoted post trimmed
Old 21st July 2017, 12:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Thanks for the info.

Then why oils like this costs less from the same company:

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00SIXYHS2/r...I3PONTS4ODOQ5U
I am just guessing here, the link you shared is of a diesel only oil, not multigrade. Maybe that's why its cheaper.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 12:29   #37
BANNED

Quote:
I am just guessing here, the link you shared is of a diesel only oil, not multigrade. Maybe that's why its cheaper.

Regards,
Shashi
I own a diesel car and don't go for interstate drives, so temperature differences is not a big deal for me. So is there any advantage if I use a multi-grade oil(based on my knowledge, its a NO)?

Last edited by mithun : 21st July 2017 at 12:32.
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Got hold of the fully synthetic 0W20 oil by shell at my nearby MGP dealer. To my luck on a casual enquiry they had the oil in stock. The same place earlier used to raise eyebrows for 5W30 itself. Today they initially told that they have only 0W40 in FS. But the chap there later checked their stock and found this one.

Planning to get it changed at my usual place Autokraft since I doubt the MASS would do it for me. Thanks for sharing this valuable info Shashi
Finally got this done yesterday after some delay. Got the oil as well as the filter replaced and after driving for around 50kms, the engine is smooth as before the service. It was the castrol oil that was making the engine feel coarse and stained like my WagonR. Now the K next engine is revving away to glory

There were vibrations during idle earlier which has now almost vanished except while starting.

I was surprised that my FNG already had stock of the same oil while I was expecting them to not due to which I carried the oil and filter. Looks like they had better awareness of the newer grades than the MGP dealer.

Thanks again Shashi for sharing this piece of info. For a premium of 500 bucks over the regular oil, this definitely makes a strong case for switching to FS oil.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 11:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Today, I gave my MS Vitara Brezza for the third service. I asked the Service Advisor about Synthetic oil and he casually replied that all engine oils are same. I had to go to Workshop manager. As per him, he heard somewhere about this synthetic oil but don't know much about it. I specifically asked for Synthetic oil 0W-40. Workshop Manager was trying to pitch me 5W-30 semi-synthetic oil. Fortunately, Spare parts store manager was aware of 0W-40 and assured me that he"ll arrange it from their warehouse. He added that very few customers ask for synthetic oil.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 13:24   #40
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Got hold of the fully synthetic 0W20 oil by shell at my nearby MGP dealer.

At Rs. 1.5k it looks to be VFM. I think I paid the same amount during the first service for Castrol 0W20 oil
How does one make sure that the oil is indeed fully synthetic ? Does Maruti-Suzuki provide any documentation to support their claims ? Was casually browsing through and came across your post, that is when I realised that this is the exact same thing that Honda is doing with their 0w20 oil.

Even Honda claims that their Idemitsu 0w20 oil is fully synthetic just like how Maruti-Suzuki is calling their Shell 0w20 fully synthetic. But the problem is that both these OEMs are selling the oils at ~1500 rupees for 3.5 litres which according to me is very cheap for fully synthetic oils. For the price that these oils are sold, I believe them to be semi-synthetic at the most.

@Leoshashi Sir can you please throw some light on what the catch is. I could not get much info from Honda, can you give some insider info related to Maruti-Suzuki's oil ?

If it helps, all the details related to Honda's Idemitsu oil I got can be read here.

Last edited by OSH : 31st March 2018 at 13:31.
Old 31st March 2018, 15:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
How does one make sure that the oil is indeed fully synthetic ? Does Maruti-Suzuki provide any documentation to support their claims ? Was casually browsing through and came across your post, that is when I realised that this is the exact same thing that Honda is doing with their 0w20 oil.

Even Honda claims that their Idemitsu 0w20 oil is fully synthetic just like how Maruti-Suzuki is calling their Shell 0w20 fully synthetic. .
Since the oil is manufactured by Shell, they claim that it is fully synthetic on their packing. Hence, apart from believing that, there is no other way I can determine the same as an end user. If that is not true then it will amount to blatant cheating which a big company will not risk.

One reason for the lower price is the grade of the oil and that synthetic oils are getting cheaper. Since the grade of the oil is narrower, it might be cheaper to manufacture than manufacturing a 0w40 oil. Shell and Motul sell FS oils for bikes in the range of 600-750. This including various margins. But for oils supplied to Maruti, it will be sold through the MGP outlet without many levels of distribution. All that will influence and lead to a lesser retail price.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 17:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe its the economy of scale which is at play here. Can you imagine the volume of oil which will get consumed at MSIL workshops?? I believe this is the reason why its so cheap.

Also, as Audioholic said, synthetics are getting cheaper. The same oil which we used to purchase earlier at 1000 rupees per litre, is now available at 400-450 rupees if bought in bulk. When as an end consumer, If I can get a 5W40 for 400 rupees per litre (provided I buy in bulk, around 50L), Maruti can easily get it for much lesser.

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 18:41   #43
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Since the grade of the oil is narrower, it might be cheaper to manufacture than manufacturing a 0w40 oil. Shell and Motul sell FS oils for bikes in the range of 600-750. This including various margins. But for oils supplied to Maruti, it will be sold through the MGP outlet without many levels of distribution. All that will influence and lead to a lesser retail price.
Quote:
I believe its the economy of scale which is at play here. Can you imagine the volume of oil which will get consumed at MSIL workshops?? I believe this is the reason why its so cheap.
Yes, even I believe that OEMs buying in bulk gives them a huge price advantage but the thing is, there are even other oils which claim to be fully synthetic and are being sold at a similiar price point even though they aren't OEM for any of the car manufacturers. Then, there are 0w20 oils which are costing nearly 1000 bucks per litre and hence the query if we are indeed getting fully synthetic oil(quality like those 1000 rupees/litre oils) for the price which is hardly 100 bucks/litre more than mineral oil, when we buy oils like Maruti-Suzuki's Shell and Honda's Idemitsu.

Can it be something similiar to how manufacturers claim that the seats are covered in leather when actually the material is leatherette ?

Anyway, thanks for your views.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:21   #44
BHPian

Sashi,

How is that Shell Fully Synthetic 0w-20 costs way lower than 5w-40 ?

Shell 0w-20 in Amazon

Is it because that its not part of their LNG based product ?

Can we use this for current VVT ?
Old 1st April 2018, 14:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

So finally after running on 15-40 Mobil Delav MX most of the times and when unavailable on Servo 15-40 ( whichever servo they use at Maruti service stations, I don't know the name) and changing the oil at every 5 to 6 thousand kilometres, this time I decide to go for Mobil Delvac 1 which I got from Amazon at 2700 rupees for 3 litres, the Swift needs 3.1 litres with an oil filter change but I always used to order Mobil Delvax MX too for 3 litres and the dip stick shows full with the 3 litres so with the synthetic too I ordered for 3 litres.

Its been 3500 since the oil change and initially I felt no difference other than the fact that the turbo started spooling up sooner, now the turbo kick even in 2nd gear starts at 1900 rpm as compared to the 2200 earlier, in higher gears like 3rd, 4th and 5th, it starts even lower at 1800 rpm as compared to the 2100 in 3rd and 2000 in 4th and 5th.

I was expecting the engine to be rev happy like how the newer Swift Diesel's are but in my car the rev happiness has not changed at all, its still how it used to be.

Mileage has increased by around 1.5 to 2 kilometres, although I don't have exact data to back it but in the history of my car in 1 lakh 50 thousand km, I have never got a highway mileage of 24 kmpl, this time I did, although the relaxed driving would have contributed to it too, but earlier even with relaxed driving, the max I have got is 22, hence the credit to the engine oil.

Next month I will be going on a 2000 km plus road trip to Gandhidhan, Bhuj and surroundings with 5 people and luggage in the scotching 45 degree Gujarat heat, let me see and report back what mileage I get during this trip.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks