Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:18   #196

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Can anyone recommend compatible synthetic oil grades for my petrol ciaz with the 1.5 engine. Did an engine oil change at 20000 kms and asked the nexa staff to not change to the more expensive synthetic oil. 6000 kms after the change I am feeling the engine to be a little gruff.
Old 22nd December 2020, 14:21   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes but if you can, do opt for Shell HX8 5W30. I'm personally a big fan of that oil. Costs ~ 1400-1500 most of the times. There is also one Shell 5W30 Taxi variant around Rs. 1200 on Amazon. It's semi synthetic and a good choice.

Thanks.

From what I observed in the market, HX5 type is discontinued; the few available cans of HX5 have been manufactured in 2019.

One or two shops did offered me "5W30 Taxi". But the word "Taxi" made me step back thinking that it may be an inferior product.

I thought about HX8 and even if I spend more for this, I am not sure if this synthetic oil will cause any unforeseen niggles as the car has clocked 1,30,000 km now. Many have recommended not to use synthetic oils / flushing agents / de-carbonisers on the engines that have clocked 6 digits.

Why do the oil companies discontinue a product that sells well and bring out a similar (or maybe the same) product by a different name? How does it make sense when the new product does not claim to offer any advantage and has same price?

Secondly, are they not providing an excuse for the duplicators, when they don't list a product but sell it in the market? Sellers of the duplicate can assure the customers by pointing out that it is routine for the oil companies not to list the product sold in the market. It is surely not difficult / costly for these companies to keep their website updated.

Is there more than what meets the eye, in the oil business?

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 22nd December 2020 at 14:25.
Old 21st January 2021, 04:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Today I spoke to the works manager at Autovista kalina and he said we use Castrol full synthetic 5w40 which I refused. I said im only looking for 0w20 full synthetic and he said we have that as well in Castrol. Apart from the magnatec full synthetic 0w20 I don't think Castrol makes any FS in that grade.

The Mobil 1 0w20 is what I'm looking for when I change at 10k and right now its going at 2950/- on Amazon for 4L.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:27   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Thanks.

From what I observed in the market, HX5 type is discontinued; the few available cans of HX5 have been manufactured in 2019.

One or two shops did offered me "5W30 Taxi". But the word "Taxi" made me step back thinking that it may be an inferior product.

I thought about HX8 and even if I spend more for this, I am not sure if this synthetic oil will cause any unforeseen niggles as the car has clocked 1,30,000 km now. Many have recommended not to use synthetic oils / flushing agents / de-carbonisers on the engines that have clocked 6 digits.

Why do the oil companies discontinue a product that sells well and bring out a similar (or maybe the same) product by a different name? How does it make sense when the new product does not claim to offer any advantage and has same price?

Secondly, are they not providing an excuse for the duplicators, when they don't list a product but sell it in the market? Sellers of the duplicate can assure the customers by pointing out that it is routine for the oil companies not to list the product sold in the market. It is surely not difficult / costly for these companies to keep their website updated.

Is there more than what meets the eye, in the oil business?
HX5 Range of oils is very much listed on Shell's website. There will always be a lag between when a company discontinues a product and its availability in the market. This is true for any product category not just lubricants.

A global company like Shell that markets their product in more than 100 countries does carry out product portfolio rationalization/consolidation from time to time in order to bring various sub-brands in line with their global naming convention and that means sometimes discontinuing their existing product even those selling well and relaunching a similar formulation under a different name.

Shell follows the same strategy globally except in North America where Helix name is not used as their two PCMO brands (Pennzoil & Quaker State) are their flagship brands.

Currently, the range of Shell products meant for passenger cars/SUVs that is listed on their website is as under:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-shell-1.png

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-shell-2.png

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-shell-3.png

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-shell-4.png

Source: https://www.shell.in/motorists/oils-...-for-cars.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Today I spoke to the works manager at Autovista kalina and he said we use Castrol full synthetic 5w40 which I refused. I said im only looking for 0w20 full synthetic and he said we have that as well in Castrol. Apart from the magnatec full synthetic 0w20 I don't think Castrol makes any FS in that grade.

The Mobil 1 0w20 is what I'm looking for when I change at 10k and right now its going at 2950/- on Amazon for 4L.
Castrol India has two different brands of synthetics in their PCMO segment; Castrol Edge & Magnatec, Edge being superior formulation.

As you can see they market fairly a wide range of synthetics 0W-20, 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-30 LL, 10W-40 & 15W-40 (diesel) for passenger car/SUV engine applications.

The Castrol Edge range covers API & ACEA (Europen) specs whereas the Magnatec range is primarily meant where only API specs are required though their Magnatec SUV range meets the ACEA specs as well.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-castrol-1.png

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-castrol-2.png

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-castrol-3.png

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-castrol-4.png

Source: https://www.castrol.com/en_in/india/...synthetic.html

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 21st January 2021 at 08:40. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 10:14   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
HX5 Range of oils is very much listed on Shell's website. There will always be a lag between when a company discontinues a product and its availability in the market. This is true for any product category not just lubricants.
HX5 is listed but not in 5W30.

I have been avoiding Castrol because of feedback from two different sources about possible widespread duplication in Castrol, one of which is a BHPian.

I have finally purchased Motul 5W30 for my SX4. It costed me Rs. 1250 including GST. There was a cash coupon inside the drum, which I encashed for Rs. 120. So the effective cost was Rs. 1130.

Size and material of the coupon is such that it sticks to the oily walls of the jar, no matter what you do. I noticed that it cannot be taken out unless you cut the can. I guess this is a preventive measure against use of drums for duplication.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 21st January 2021 at 10:25.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:51   #201
BHPian

Quote:

The minute they say Castrol it surely is not fully synthetic. I have been cheated twice by the Nexa and Maruti service centres. The fact is they are asked to push either for 5w40 if we ask for fully synthetic or coax the customers to go with the existing mineral oil citing synthetic oils will reduce the fuel efficiency.

Best advice is to get the mineral oil filled and replace it with your choice of fully synthetic outside.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 16:34   #202
Senior - BHPian

My 2020 facelift dzire manual specifically says 0w16 so if I go for 0w20 and its mentioned in the bill, will I be at fault if it ever comes to that?

Where can I get the Ecstar 0w16 in Mumbai? Though I doubt its quality compared to Mobil 1 FS 0w20 since its so cheap. I do see it on boodmo.
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-screenshot_20210121_142944.jpg  

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_20210121_163122.jpg  

Old 21st January 2021, 17:21   #203
BHPian

Quote:
My 2020 facelift dzire manual specifically says 0w16 so if I go for 0w20 and its mentioned in the bill, will I be at fault if it ever comes to that?

Where can I get the Ecstar 0w16 in Mumbai? Though I doubt its quality compared to Mobil 1 FS 0w20 since its so cheap. I do see it on boodmo.
Yes, going for 0W20 might cost you your warranty as it's not recommended per the manual. But if the service guys insist to take it in writing from them as a documented proof.

Regarding Ecstar, it is manufactured by Castrol . In other words, it's the same castrol oil with Ecstar badging.
Old 21st January 2021, 19:13   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Yes, going for 0W20 might cost you your warranty as it's not recommended per the manual. But if the service guys insist to take it in writing from them as a documented proof.

Regarding Ecstar, it is manufactured by Castrol . In other words, it's the same castrol oil with Ecstar badging.
Im going to try with ine of the non dealership MASS and see if I can carry my own oil. Look we all know that nothing really happens with these engines with such a small change in grade. But I'm going to have to choose between the Mobil 1 and Ecstar.
Old 31st January 2021, 03:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to Allied Auto Agencies in khar and the guy there called Denver said we can put 0w20, how will anyone know the difference? I said I will only use 0w16 so he said let me check if I can get that and then theres been no reply since hence I will avoid them.

I also spoke to the director of thanawala motors in thane and he agreed with me and said don't use any other grade than whats in the manual. These service centers use other thicker oils because they get a larger margin for selling those. He assured me that they will have the 0w16 at the garage so I'm going to visit them on a weekend and check before hand or else I will carry the Ecstar and have them fill that.
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:06   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post

I spoke to the Shell distributor and he said its made by them for Ecstar and they have it in stock.
Old 15th March 2021, 09:19   #207
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, I received a PM from a BHPian, posting the query here to get your feedback, I'm not an expert with engine oils

I know that certain engine oil grades have been discontinued by manufacturers, Maruti has recommended alternatives for some oils and service centers try to stock on one or 2 oil grades (to increase their margins by buying just those in large quantities) that can be used across many different car engines but they will even go to the extent of saying the alternative has been recommended by Maruti, so it can get very confusing!

Query:
I have just acquired a 2009 wagonR with a F10D engine. The manual states 20w50, the car was being serviced at MASS earlier, the oil initially used to be 20w40. MASS now recommends 5w30.
I got a wuerth 5w30, but on adding it there is a slight vibration, not seen earlier.

Positives- pickup, low end power (no more stalling on lift off regardless of throttle position), can engage 4th gear at 25 km/hr no knocking.
Negatives- increase in NVH

I stay in Mumbai, so typical stop n go traffic.

Please suggest. Someone suggested 5w30 oil may lead to engine damage.

Last edited by NPV : 15th March 2021 at 09:23.
Old 15th March 2021, 22:01   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Please suggest. Someone suggested 5w30 oil may lead to engine damage.
From what I have seen on this forum the F series engines from Maruti are quite sensitive to oil grades. There have been instances where the F8D which requires 5W30 (2012 onwards I guess) has been filled with 0W20 by MASS and people have noticed higher NVH, vibrations, and even excessive blowby.

So if the manual states 20W50 is to be used, then I wouldn't settle for anything less than W40 at least.

Although AFAIK, 10W40 should be absolutely fine for F10D. The F series engines from that decade can run comfortably on 40-grade oils. Also from what i can find online, the chart from MS recommends anything from 10W40 to 20W50 for the F10D Wagonr. 5W30 is also on the list but that isn't going to be a perfect choice. I would suggest to get a Shell Helix HX7 10W40 or any other oil with 40 grade. But he wants to go with 50 grade then he can try Castrol GTX or Shell HX3. Also if he wants full synthetic then Mobil has Mobil 1™ FS X2 5W-50.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-wagonr.png

Bhpian Leoshashi and Paragsachania would be able to tell you the precise thing.

Credits:- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/74...page=72#manual

Abhishek.

Last edited by abhi9044 : 15th March 2021 at 22:02. Reason: Editing some typos
abhi9044 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:04   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Query:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
Bhpian Leoshashi and Paragsachania would be able to tell you the precise thing.
The query was responded to here, here, here & here explaining almost all the possibilities for the behavior the OP's car has including troubleshooting too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 11:28   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharunkar View Post
Can anyone recommend compatible synthetic oil grades for my petrol ciaz with the 1.5 engine. Did an engine oil change at 20000 kms and asked the nexa staff to not change to the more expensive synthetic oil. 6000 kms after the change I am feeling the engine to be a little gruff.
Except 0W16, there is no oil which is recommended for K15. Even 0W16 is fully synthetic, such a grade cannot be formulated out of mineral base. When you ask MASS to fill expensive fully synthetic oil, they mostly use 0W40 or 5W40 which was never the recommended grade to begin with.

I am not going to argue on how thicker oil is good for our climate etc. There is much more to any oil than relative viscosity. Even I own a Maruti XL6 and am sticking to 0W16.

For those interested, here is an interesting video:

However I do agree with you on how the engine starts feeling a bit gruff as oil becomes old. That's why personally I'm sticking to 5000km oil change interval. Will be doing it DIY when it needs to be done outside service interval. Oil is cheap, and even here I'd prefer putting clean oil twice, rather than having some not recommended expensive grade oil for 10k kms, at around same cost.

Quote:
I spoke to the Shell distributor and he said its made by them for Ecstar and they have it in stock.
Yes packing is done at a single place, be it Shell or Castrol:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20201221_111914.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20200730_115106.jpg

I won't be surprised if all brands of 0W16 are made at the same place.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 16th March 2021 at 11:30.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks