Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2018, 14:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

I am looking at changing my 45k kms run 5 years old Dzire VDI engine oil this weekend at a shell petrol pump near my place. They quoted they only have 10w40 and not the usual 5w40 that i have used all these while. It has always been semi synthetic. Can anyone confirm if this is ok to be used in the car now?
Old 17th April 2018, 00:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Sashi,

How is that Shell Fully Synthetic 0w-20 costs way lower than 5w-40 ?

Shell 0w-20 in Amazon

Is it because that its not part of their LNG based product ?
No idea about that. May be someone from Petroleum industry can clarify this doubt.

Quote:
Can we use this for current VVT ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I am looking at changing my 45k kms run 5 years old Dzire VDI engine oil this weekend at a shell petrol pump near my place. They quoted they only have 10w40 and not the usual 5w40 that i have used all these while. It has always been semi synthetic. Can anyone confirm if this is ok to be used in the car now?
Use oil of the recommended grade and viscosity as mentioned in your owner's manual. Don't deviate from that.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 10:50   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Sashi,

How is that Shell Fully Synthetic 0w-20 costs way lower than 5w-40 ?

Shell 0w-20 in Amazon

Is it because that its not part of their LNG based product ?

Can we use this for current VVT ?
Because unless you reside in leh-ladakh or similar region where max ambient temperature is 20 deg Celsius, that oil is pretty much useless everywhere else in India. So for clearing old stock, probably they reduced the prices. The figure after W (like 20 in 0W-20) signifies the max. ambient temperature in the region where your vehicle would be running. So, anything below 40 would be harmful for the engine and will not provide optimum lubrication in hot weather.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
No idea about that. May be someone from Petroleum industry can clarify this doubt.

Use oil of the recommended grade and viscosity as mentioned in your owner's manual. Don't deviate from that.

Regards,
Shashi
Gents,

Shell product on Amazon is not being sold by Shell but by a third-party retailer.

In any case the pricing of grade “A” or “B” has little to do with its formulation or ingredients. Engine oil is a consumer product just like many others and the price that a retailer or even the manufacturer charges is more to do with consumer’s willingness to pay and a whole host of other complex market dynamics that are beyond the scope of this public forum.

As 5W-40 is wider spectrum product as compared to 0W-20, it commands a premium of approx 5 to 7 percent at the retail level in North America. I'm not aware of the Indian market conditions and therefore will refrain from speculating.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is based on Shell GTL (Gas to Liquid) technology (not LNG) that they employ to transform natural gas into base stock using Fischer–Tropsch process.

Some of the Shell’s full synthetic formulations use PAO (Poly-alpha-olefin) instead of GTL for propriety/other miscellaneous technical reasons and this 0W-20 can be one of these products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Because unless you reside in leh-ladakh or similar region where the max ambient temperature is 20 deg Celsius, that oil is pretty much useless everywhere else in India. So for clearing old stock, probably they reduced the prices. The figure after W (like 20 in 0W-20) signifies the max. the ambient temperature in the region where your vehicle would be running. So, anything below 40 would be harmful for the engine and will not provide optimum lubrication in hot weather.
In any case, the logic that 0W-20 will be better in colder climates is a fallacy (I use 5W-20 full synthetic because that's what my vehicle's OEM recommends & by the way the winter temperature here drops down to -35C ).

Please use 0W-20 only if recommended by your OEM and not otherwise as has already been pointed out by Leoshashi (thank you Shashi).

To illustrate this point further Shell Helix Ultra 5W- 40 has a pour point of -45C and that of 0W-20 has a pour point of -54C. In both the cases, the pour point far exceeds the wintertime temperatures that you’re likely to see unless you’re an army man serving in Dras, J&K.

As to my earlier point regarding OEM recommendation the Shell 0W-20 has got a kinematic viscosity of 8.59 cSt (centistokes) at 100C which is the operating temperature of most automotive engines.

The kinematic viscosity of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is 13.10 cSt at 100C.

As can be clearly seen the 0W-20 oil has a much thinner viscosity and unless your vehicle’s engine is designed for it, you are exposing the engine to increased wear and thereby lower longevity from a long-term perspective.

Trust this sheds some useful light on the subject.

* The technical numbers quoted from Shell's website

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 18th April 2018 at 11:56. Reason: Correction of a typo
Vikram Arya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 09:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
So, anything below 40 would be harmful for the engine and will not provide optimum lubrication in hot weather.
Thanks Chaudh. I am more inquisitive about the cost factor. And what makes them different (cost wise) inspite of being Fully Synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Gents,

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is based on Shell GTL (Gas to Liquid) technology (not LNG) that they employ to transform natural gas into base stock using Fischer–Tropsch process.

Some of the Shell’s full synthetic formulations use PAO (Poly-alpha-olefin) instead of GTL for propriety/other miscellaneous technical reasons and this 0W-20 can be one of these products.
Before digging through this subject, I was assuming that GTL and LNG are same since Shell is a big brand with behemoth presence in Qatar for LNG. Then, after some rummaging, I was able to find some literature to clarify my doubts.

Bipin Patel's article in NTNU.
Old 30th April 2018, 14:37   #51
BHPian

Re: Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) Catalog: Post your queries here (model list on Pg 1)

Hi Shashi,

I want to change my transmission oil and was wondering what is the MGP certified product and gradient ?

Mine is DZire second gen.

Last edited by prithm : 30th April 2018 at 14:38. Reason: spelling
Old 1st May 2018, 08:14   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) Catalog: Post your queries here (model list on Pg 1)

Quote:
Hi Shashi,

I want to change my transmission oil and was wondering what is the MGP certified product and gradient ?

Mine is DZire second gen.
Sorry, I almost missed your post. Regarding your transmission oil, which MY is your Dzire?? Alternatively, you can check the change interval in your owners manual.

If it says 160000kms/10 years then your car already has the lifetime oil in place and no need to change it so early. If its anything less, say 40000kms etc, then Shell Spirax 75W90 is the preferred choice.

Other available options are mentioned in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ti-suzuki.html

If your car has normal transmission lube and you wish to upgrade to life time lube, you can do that too. Cost is approx Rs. 1300 per litre.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I almost missed your post. Regarding your transmission oil, which MY is your Dzire?? Alternatively, you can check the change interval in your owners manual.

If it says 160000kms/10 years then your car already has the lifetime oil in place and no need to change it so early. If its anything less, say 40000kms etc, then Shell Spirax 75W90 is the preferred choice.

Other available options are mentioned in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ti-suzuki.html

If your car has normal transmission lube and you wish to upgrade to life time lube, you can do that too. Cost is approx Rs. 1300 per litre.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks Shashi.

Mine is 2014 Dec Second Gen. The current scenario is that I m looking for Shell Spirax but it's either 80w90 or 80w140. Since I have appox 70% highway usage, people are suggesting for 80w140, but I m still not sure.

The ones in dealer is bulk & I m not sure if they are using proper gradient. What do you suggest ?
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:30   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shashi.

Mine is 2014 Dec Second Gen. The current scenario is that I m looking for Shell Spirax but it's either 80w90 or 80w140. Since I have appox 70% highway usage, people are suggesting for 80w140, but I m still not sure.

The ones in dealer is bulk & I m not sure if they are using proper gradient. What do you suggest ?
Don't even think about 80w90 or 80w140. Did you check your manual?? What change interval is recommended??
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Don't even think about 80w90 or 80w140. Did you check your manual?? What change interval is recommended??
Says "Replace" at 40K or 48 months with 75w90. Mine is clocking 30K 4 years now.

Since Spirax in market is not available in that gradient, the only option is Total (as per the table shared by you in earlier post).

Any other suggestion ?
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:59   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Says "Replace" at 40K or 48 months with 75w90. Mine is clocking 30K 4 years now.

Since Spirax in market is not available in that gradient, the only option is Total (as per the table shared by you in earlier post).

Any other suggestion ?
This is one of the best lubes in aftermarket: https://www.flybhp.com/motul-motylge...RoCD_oQAvD_BwE

But if your car is under warranty, better to use what's being provided in the SVC. Insist for 75w90 only.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 2nd May 2018 at 09:01.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 09:59   #57
BHPian

Hi sashi

Once again thanks for this wonderful thread. It was an eye opener indeed.my 2012 alto lxi with 32000kms on the odo and F8D engine had started sounding a bit loud as pointed by my brother who drove it after a long time.

During the last two services i had used 0w20 grade oil as recommended by the service advisor stating it was a fully synthetic oil and will be better as against 5w20 as recommended by owners manual. I am worried now if that would have resulted in increased nvh levels.

Experts pls advise.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 10th May 2018, 13:05   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi sashi

Once again thanks for this wonderful thread. It was an eye opener indeed.my 2012 alto lxi with 32000kms on the odo and F8D engine had started sounding a bit loud as pointed by my brother who drove it after a long time.

During the last two services i had used 0w20 grade oil as recommended by the service advisor stating it was a fully synthetic oil and will be better as against 5w20 as recommended by owners manual. I am worried now if that would have resulted in increased nvh levels.

Experts pls advise.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
I don't think owner's manual will ever recommend 5W20 for an Alto F8D. It has to be either 5W30 or 20W40.

How many KMS have you driven on 0W20??

Replace that ASAP and put 5W30 or whatever grade is recommended in your manual. Also shoot a mail to Maruti. Your MASS needs to be taught a lesson. After mailing to Maruti, some BHPians have got free oil replacement along with an apology. Also get the PCV valve, intake manifold and throttle body cleaned. Blowby increases when thinner oil is used.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 10th May 2018 at 13:07.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 15:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post

Experts pls advise.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Xw20 is the recommended for the K-series engines. F8Ds as Leoshashi mentioned need a minimum 20W40 grade.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 11:45   #60
BANNED

Remember no car maker is making oil. They buy it from a vendor, rebadge it and charge a premium for it. So check on the API ratings and get a matching (or better) oil from the market.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks