Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2023, 16:18   #1531
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Folks, I have recently acquired a professional OBD Scan Too. The model is Autel Maxicom 808Z. It has support for almost every car globally and also for Indian manufacturers like Maruti, Toyota, Honda, VW etc etc. Here is the link of the tool I purchased. https://autel.com/mk2/3990.jhtml

I will be happy to assist and help folks on TBHP in case they need to diagnose or do routine stuff like Sterring Angle Reset, DPF Regeneration etc for their cars. This is NOT a paid or in any way a commercial offer. It is purely for enthusiasts and like minded members of the community.

I also have the VW VCDS cable and software which works fine on my VW Polo GT TSI 2017 model. As you would be aware a lot of interesting tweaks can be done for VW cars using this.

Just reach out to me in case you need any help related to these.
Hello @Traveller
Can you help me in locating the OBD port in my Baleno 2019. I could not locate the port to the right below the steering. A picture or diagram with instructions on how exactly to access the port would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
airwarrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 17:00   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwarrior View Post
Hello @Traveller
Can you help me in locating the OBD port in my Baleno 2019. I could not locate the port to the right below the steering. A picture or diagram with instructions on how exactly to access the port would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
I am not aware where the port is located in the 2019 Baleno. Should be generally below the steering wheel area. Just look towards both left and right below the steering area. Sometimes it also near the bonnet opening handle.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 23:23   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I am not aware where the port is located in the 2019 Baleno. Should be generally below the steering wheel area. Just look towards both left and right below the steering area. Sometimes it also near the bonnet opening handle.
Dear @Traveller
Thankyou. I found the OBD port on my Baleno 2019. It is not easily accessible or visible. It is located under the dash to the immediate left of the bonnet opening handle.
I took a picture with my mobile. Only pins 4,5,6,7 and 14,15,16 are used.
The next step would be to acquire a compatible scanner device and suitable software. I was considering the Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 available on Amazon and Car OBD Doctor.
This would be a purely academic exercise at the moment and I would settle for a bluetooth device.
Would be grateful for any advice.
Regds
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-20231013_190330.jpg  

Old 15th October 2023, 17:11   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
The Toyota Hycross is fairly new entrant to the hybrid car family in India. Being a hybrid I presume the OBD would be significantly different from a normal ICE. Does the Toyota Hycross have a standard OBD port and would OBD dongles like the VGate Pro combined OBD Auto Doctor work ??
Toyota ECUs require the Toyota Techstream software to run, the protocol (running via the OBD port) may differ on newer cars, for my 2011 Fortuner it is SAE J2354.

Feel free to ask support about the Hycross on the VXDaig website, they are prompt and well informed.

I have no idea if the two OBD models you listed will work, but my suggestion is to ask the vendor to confirm if it will work, I wasted over $1500 on dongles before finding one that spoke SAE J2354.
They are expensive paper weights now
Strykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 12:08   #1535
Distinguished - BHPian

Any tips on a trusted iOS app for an OBS device? I had Torque OBD Pro on my Android (and super happy with it), but the developer doesn’t seem to have made one for iOS.
Old 3rd December 2023, 18:34   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
The next step would be to acquire a compatible scanner device and suitable software. I was considering the Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 available on
Would be grateful for any advice.
Regds
Hey, I've the same combination. Vgate and Baleno CVT. I'm able to log basic temperatures and reset the throttle learning!
lxskllr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 09:46   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Are you guys with BT OBD2 scanners driving with the device plugged in?

I got one of these off Amazon and along with "Car Scanner" app gives me real time info on a lot of interesting parameters.

My question is, is it fine to drive with this plugged in?
Old 16th January 2024, 14:02   #1538
Senior - BHPian

OK I took the plunge and drove my car around this morning with this cheap Chinese ELM 327 adaptor in my OBD2 port in my 2020 i20 1.0 turbo IMT.

The reason I was sceptical about this is because I went through this page from Car Scanner App.

https://www.carscanner.info/choosing-obdii-adapter/

Where he points out the differences between "good" and "bad" adaptors. And then proceeds to list out examples of each. Unfortunately mine was in the latter group. Here is a pic of itOBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20240116132527948_com.android.chromeedit.jpg

Now the data that I got was like this...
Engine load.. 21% at idle, upto 100% on acceleration.
Boost pressure.. (minus) - 7.4 psi at idle to +12 psi on acceleration
Engine power 0 when coasting in gear, 5.2 hp on idle and 47 hp on moderate acceleration.
Coolant temp went from 21 C to 95 C in 11 minutes.
Manifold Absolute Pressure 4.9 psi idle, to 24 psi screenshot below.

Ambient air temperature stayed at 60C
Intake air temp stayed at 21C
GPS speed showed about 6% higher than speedo
Fuel rail pressure 1700 psi at idle to 3000 psi plus while driving OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20240116134952674_com.ovz.carscanneredit.jpg
Control module voltage started off at 12.1 V and then stayed around 14.2 V.

Bottom line is that while some metrics were good to see, others were off the chart, like ambient air temp.
Would not like to drive around with this particular connector attached to the car's ECM.
But use it to diagnose faults thrown up on the MID.
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20240116134243854_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg  

goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 18:25   #1539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Bottom line is that while some metrics were good to see, others were off the chart, like ambient air temp.
Would not like to drive around with this particular connector attached to the car's ECM.
But use it to diagnose faults thrown up on the MID.
The cheaper variants or those who come fitted with replicas of ELM327s dont log data in a stable manner. Hence you will see garbage data once in a while. Modern cars with lot of CAN communication can also start misbehaving if the diagnostic device will send wrong requests, like a sort of a climate control system setting change etc. OEMs will have their own ways to block such unverifed requests but with CAN Communication there are always some weak spots.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 05:46   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The cheaper variants or those who come fitted with replicas of ELM327s dont log data in a stable manner. Hence you will see garbage data once in a while. Modern cars with lot of CAN communication can also start misbehaving if the diagnostic device will send wrong requests, like a sort of a climate control system setting change etc. OEMs will have their own ways to block such unverifed requests but with CAN Communication there are always some weak spots.
Agree with you, thus my reluctance to use this connector for regular monitoring of engine metrics.

However, it pointed out an interesting fact that idling when cold consumes almost 75 ml petrol per minute, while when hot this goes down to 20 ml.
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img_20240116_190031.jpg
Will try to source Vgate ICAR pro BT 3.0 which lists for 26$ in the US.
Old 25th February 2024, 12:49   #1541
BHPian

Hi folks! I am a happy owner of Scorpio N Z8L 4x4 MT. I am looking for a OBD scanner for the following.
1. Compatibility with Mahindra
2. Read maximum amount of data and display real time on a screen.
3. Read error codes with or without ability to clear them.

Budget - 15k slightly stretchable.
Few other questions:
1. Any good interface on iOS to read the OBD?
2. Any way I can project the data to my on board screen via Apple CarPlay? I think that would depend on whether the interface App shows up on CarPlay. Other option would be to buy a cheap android tablet and set it up as a display (which I am reluctant to do).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks