Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 16:48   #1456
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

To update - My ELM327 device is received and is working good on my car, though it's on the Torque Lite version. I will get the paid version in some time.

I have the check engine light always on since many months, and that has been diagnosed to one "P0037" code which is about the oxygen sensor. Now the oxygen sensor and its wire on my car had been removed, so the error is not about anything that I don't know.

The other interesting data is about the coolant temperature. The ambient temperatures here due to the week long constant rains is 20-21 degrees. In such atmosphere, my very recently flushed coolant (radiator was thoroughly cleaned) is showing a figure of 91 degrees, without air conditioner. The 1ZZ FE is happy in between 82 - 95 degrees. Would this temperature reduce on highway drives?
Old 25th September 2020, 15:04   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I have an old ELM327 (fake, according to apps that check for the authentic ELM327 protocol). It did provide some basic data to Torque app.

I wanted real-time ATF temperature, but neither Torque nor any other app could read Suzuki specific details for my ASTAR AT.

Today, I found another SUZUKI SPECIFIC app called SZ. This seems to have a special section for AT/CVT which has the transmission temperature listed. BUT it does not accept my fake ELM327, so can someone suggest a reasonably priced OBD II scanner that the SZ app would be able to use?

Those who have ELM327 devices - does your device pass the genuine ELM327 test?
Update : I purchased a Vgate icar3 OBD II adapter (currently unavailable at Amazon) and it shows the ATF temperature in my Astar using the SZ app. Interestingly all the good brands of OBD scanners seem to have disappeared from Amazon.in - beware of fake ELM327 modules - simply not worth it.
Old 11th October 2020, 19:01   #1458

I used an ELM 327 Bluetooth version I purchased from amazon.Paired it with my Samsung android phone and used Torque Pro app. It worked without any problems. Gave me the fault code for my Skoda Rapid - I was having issues starting it and I thought it might be the battery due to infrequent driving. But there was another thing bugging me, an indicator - sometimes two- staying on. The fault code turned out to be saying that there were connection issues with the dashboard unit.
I decided to send the car to the Skoda Service centre. They reported the same issue- so the diagnostic was valuable as advance information. The solution offered by them, as it always is at these official service centres, was to replace the entire unit. I thought there may be a loose connection somewhere. But they insisted that they had checked everything and replacing the part was the only option and I had to go with it.
Now my car is back and everything is fine.
Again out of curiosity I checked with the scanning tool and it reported no fault codes. All well then.
So it is useful, and yes works with Skoda Rapid. If one is more adventurous and knows other garages and mechanics, one could save by getting things fixed instead of replacing parts every time, if your car is out of warranty.
Mkone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:49   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkone View Post
Again out of curiosity I checked with the scanning tool and it reported no fault codes...
They can reset the fault codes without fixing the problems, so beware! (Codes will come back again, but may take a while)
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:46   #1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
They can reset the fault codes without fixing the problems, so beware! (Codes will come back again, but may take a while)
I did check that feature which is on the ELM and Torque app combination. I could reset the fault code with Torque, and then check again, it would be back. This was before I gave to the Service Centre.
Once I got the car back, I checked with Torque app, there was no fault code.
I will check again in a few days. But I think it seems to be running fine.

There are many more features in the Torque app, monitoring of various parameters such as Vacuum and Coolant levels which videos on Youtube describe. Yet to try get into deeper understanding of those but yes they are there for those who are enthusiastic about knowing more.
Mkone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 07:35   #1461
BHPian

Sharing my recent experience with a new OBD app found on Play store.

Recently, on a short drive on my Rapid DSG, I felt an ABS jerk on the pedal on slight braking. The ABS & ESP lights came on shortly after and didn't go away. I hooked up the ELM327 and tried scanning from the Torque app and it didn't show up any error. Tried another OBD adaptor Vgate WiFi without result as well. Afterwards, I downloaded another app called EOBD and voila, the fault code was shown as a broken ABS sensor on the front right wheel. Tried clearing it once which solved the problem but it came back after a short run. Afterwards, gave my car for periodic service day before and they came up with the same diagnostic. Now, the part has been replaced under warranty.
Old 1st November 2020, 14:24   #1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Sharing my recent experience with a new OBD app found on Play store.

Afterwards, I downloaded another app called EOBD and voila, the fault code was shown as a broken ABS sensor on the front right wheel.

Does this app work with the ELM 327 Bluetooth connector? Or it needs the Wifi connector? I have the Bluetooth one, purchased from amazon. It works fine with Torque Pro for me, but since you seem to have found a better app, I am curious to try it. (My car is also a Skoda Rapid.)
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:52   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkone View Post
Does this app work with the ELM 327 Bluetooth connector? Or it needs the Wifi connector? I have the Bluetooth one, purchased from amazon. It works fine with Torque Pro for me, but since you seem to have found a better app, I am curious to try it. (My car is also a Skoda Rapid.)
I have tried this app with the Wifi version only. Being said that, I would suggest using Torque pro for regular activities and in case if Torque is not able to find out the errors, you can give this app a try. IMO, Torque is much more intuitive from a UX standpoint.

On a side note, the error reported by the app seems to be consistent with the service center finding. The app reported an issue with the RH front ABS sensor and service center guys reported the same. The same was replaced under warranty and the issue is resolved now
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 20:00   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.abc View Post
Hi all,

I have recently bought bajaj allianz drive smart premium car insurance policy for my maruti celerio.

With this policy I received an OBD 2 scanning device developed by cariq (a pune based company).
Has anyone used this device from bajaj allianz or can someone throw some light on the queries I have?
Stumbled on this thread as I was looking for and OBDII scanner for my Innova. Alas I read several posts which said that the 327 scan tool wouldn't work for the car.

That said, I have something to say about the device which has been supplied by Allianz. My daughter and her husband have these devices fitted on their cars. They live in NY and they got it as a part of the insurance plan for safe driving. They were informed that the driving pattern would be analysed and the premium discounts would depend on the data that was available for analysis by the insurers. This was over 3 years ago. One of the things that happens is that if sudden brakes are applied, the device beeps. I think there is tracking based on driving behaviour. When I checked last, they did receive marginal discounts based on the data.

It will be interesting to know from your Bajaj Allianz experience as to how this worked for you.
Old 18th February 2021, 22:01   #1465
BHPian

OBD Mobile Apps For Cars

Reading BHPian abhilashjp's thread on his spanking new GLE (Congratulations, sir!) and drooling over the pictures and features..... It struck me that most of the connected car features and trip computer calculations like these:

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-merc.jpg

are all things that are made from raw data available from most OBD interfaces!

My honda city has an iconnect obd adapter from honda and it's got cool stuff like geo-fencing and what not. (can't remember much)

And it got me thinking.

Senior-BHPian a4anurag forgot his OBD adapted plugged into my Safari and I decided to exploit this situation.

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-obd1.jpg

I want to achieve features like individual trip analyses, mileage readouts, service reminders, etc.

Could BHPians please list down mobile apps that could be of utility like this.

Please list out mobile applications like fuelio too, which can be of great use to car people.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th February 2021 at 09:47. Reason: Typo corrected.
Old 19th February 2021, 22:07   #1466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: OBD Mobile Apps For Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I want to achieve features like individual trip analyses, mileage readouts, service reminders, etc.

Could BHPians please list down mobile apps that could be of utility like this.
Torque Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_IN&gl=US) is one of the best apps for OBD dashboards and data logging. You can get almost everything you mentioned in Torque Pro. I have been using it for more than 5 years now in my SX4. You can see images of my Torque Pro dashboards here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post3764042 (Review: My "Instrumentation" (Torque Pro/OBDII setup, TPMS etc.) and related accessories)

However, not sure if service reminders can be displayed in Torque Pro. You can reset the service warnings, but not sure if a reminder can be set.

But other than service reminder, everything else is very much doable in Torque Pro.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 19th February 2021 at 22:10.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 15:24   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I have been using it for more than 5 years now in my SX4. You can see images of my Torque Pro dashboards here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post3764042 (Review: My "Instrumentation" (Torque Pro/OBDII setup, TPMS etc.) and related accessories)
Received the ELM27 OBD2 v2.1 bluetooth device from Amazon Prime. Price Rs. 499.

It is accompanied by a CD. Is the CD really necessary for the installation? It am unable to find a laptop or a PC having CD drive these days.
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20210618181328382_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img20210619wa0006.jpg  

Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 15:32   #1468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
It is accompanied by a CD. Is the CD really necessary for the installation? It am unable to find a laptop or a PC having CD drive these days.
No, the CD is not necessary at all. The CD will have some OBD reading software, which you could use on a PC. But that is not required.

Most people use some phone apps (for example, I use Torque Pro as I mentioned above) to reach the OBD data. The OBD adapter will connect to the phone using Bluetooth or WiFi, and will send data to the phone. The phone app will read and display the data. This is the most common use case. In this case, the CD is totally redundant.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 16:13   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
No, the CD is not necessary at all. The CD will have some OBD reading software, which you could use on a PC. But that is not required.
Thank you.

I installed Torque Pro app, connected the OBD and paired the same with the mobile Bluetooth.

The OBD device is able to establish the communication with the ECU as well as the phone.
Old 19th June 2021, 17:54   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I installed Torque Pro app, connected the OBD and paired the same with the mobile Bluetooth.

The OBD device is able to establish the communication with the ECU as well as the phone.
OK, great! So did you find any errors related to ABS? I believe ABS warning was the motivation for you to get this OBD reader, right?

Now that you have got Torque Pro working, you can do a full scan for DTC codes and see what you find.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks