Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 17:32   #1441
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

I have an old ELM327 (fake, according to apps that check for the authentic ELM327 protocol). It did provide some basic data to Torque app.

I wanted real-time ATF temperature, but neither Torque nor any other app could read Suzuki specific details for my ASTAR AT.

Today, I found another SUZUKI SPECIFIC app called SZ. This seems to have a special section for AT/CVT which has the transmission temperature listed. BUT it does not accept my fake ELM327, so can someone suggest a reasonably priced OBD II scanner that the SZ app would be able to use?

Those who have ELM327 devices - does your device pass the genuine ELM327 test?
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:29   #1442
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a 2010 Toyota Innova GX 2.5 Liter D4D Diesel. Can anyone suggest OBD for the car. I understand the popular OBDs are not compatible with the D4D Innova.
Old 9th June 2020, 15:57   #1443
BHPian

Can anybody suggest OBD for Baleno please. Is the ELM327 good to go ?
please advise.
Old 9th June 2020, 16:49   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Can anybody suggest OBD for Baleno please. Is the ELM327 good to go ?
please advise.

I bought it last week and have installed it but could not use it much.

However, I bought it on the recommendation of a fellow Creta owner who is a very frequent traveller and a senior member of our Creta WhatsApp group.

Based upon the features it offers its worth the money spent.

I will also try to use it and will share my feedback.

The one I bought is this one:-
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVU666M/..._X823EbCHM5VYT

Fits neatly into the port as well.

Last edited by Artyom : 9th June 2020 at 17:05. Reason: Typo
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 17:37   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I bought it last week and have installed it but could not use it much.

However, I bought it on the recommendation of a fellow Creta owner who is a very frequent traveller and a senior member of our Creta WhatsApp group.

Based upon the features it offers its worth the money spent.

I will also try to use it and will share my feedback.

The one I bought is this one:-
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVU666M/..._X823EbCHM5VYT

Fits neatly into the port as well.
Thanks buddy. I have ordered it will pen my observations after I start using it.
Old 15th June 2020, 16:26   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Any solid recommendation for an OBD tool that works with 2013 Fortuner 3.0 D4D?
Old 15th June 2020, 17:32   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I have ordered it will pen my observations after I start using it.
Got the package but ended with a disappointment. My Android headunit is not recognising the device. Android mobile does recognise though. I might return the product.
Old 16th June 2020, 12:32   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Got the package but ended with a disappointment. My Android headunit is not recognising the device. Android mobile does recognise though. I might return the product.
Have returned the device.
I also spoke with my Android headunit makers (woodman) who stated the OBD devices may or may not work with the head units. My search continues.
Old 20th June 2020, 10:24   #1449
BHPian

How much power do the newer (Vgate ICAR2 or ICAR3) OBD II readers consume with the ignition off? Is power supplied to the port with the ignition off? It would be OK if they consumed a fraction of a watt, but not sure if it would be a good idea to leave them plugged in to the port if otherwise. Any opinions?
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:23   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Have returned the device.
I also spoke with my Android headunit makers (woodman) who stated the OBD devices may or may not work with the head units. My search continues.
I guess you can only use these devices while they are paired with your android phone through Bluetooth and not through the Head Unit.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Artyom : 22nd June 2020 at 12:39.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:09   #1451
BHPian

Since I am using an Android head unit already I thought it can be paired. Many Android head units are moving towards this functionality so that everything is displayed in one single unit. I also had plans for TPMS but looks like I need to do some research before going ahead.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 16:16   #1452
BHPian

Mine is a 2010 petrol Altis, the one with the old 1ZZ FE engine. Now as I understand, this is the old engine but with some tweaks and modifications to the ECU. I had purchased the super mini ELM327 v1.5 but could not find success. I read on another thread that for the Corolla 1.8 petrol, the adaptor should be "ELM327 v1.4" instead of "ELM327 v1.5".

Whether using the v1.4 hardware would work or should I give up attempting to connect with ELM altogether?

Outside of Team BHP, few sites say that my Toyota cannot be read with OBD II compliant scanners while some say that 1996 onward, Toyota are OBD II compliant.
Old 9th August 2020, 09:49   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Since I am using an Android head unit already I thought it can be paired. Many Android head units are moving towards this functionality so that everything is displayed in one single unit. I also had plans for TPMS but looks like I need to do some research before going ahead.
One must remember that most TPMS work on BLE i.e. Bluetooth Low Energy and so your Android head unit must have BLE capability for the TPMS to work. It is a simple matter to install a BLE checker app on your head unit and confirm that it does have BLE capability.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 10:32   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Mine is a 2010 petrol Altis, the one with the old 1ZZ FE engine. Now as I understand, this is the old engine but with some tweaks and modifications to the ECU. I had purchased the super mini ELM327 v1.5 but could not find success. I read on another thread that for the Corolla 1.8 petrol, the adaptor should be "ELM327 v1.4" instead of "ELM327 v1.5".

Whether using the v1.4 hardware would work or should I give up attempting to connect with ELM altogether?

Outside of Team BHP, few sites say that my Toyota cannot be read with OBD II compliant scanners while some say that 1996 onward, Toyota are OBD II compliant.
Most ELM327 devices have limited access to the ECU of vehicles (specially older models). I would suggest a wired diagnostic tool like Autel, Launch or Topdon. These are a bit expensive but they precisely diagnose most vehicles and more importantly can reset most fault indications. Most cars have multiple ECUs where the safety devices (belts/ABS/Airbags) have a separate ECU which cannot be diagnosed by ELM327's. When I had a blinking airbag fault on my 2009 City I went to an authorized center who quoted a bomb for just diagnosing the fault. I then purchased a TOPDON diagnostic tool and it clearly indicated the fault as 'Front Right Impact Sensor". I just took the help of my regular mechanic to trace the sensor which was near the headlight. It happened to be just a loose connector. A clean up with WD40 and plugging in of the connector set it right and probably saved thousands.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:30   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
Most ELM327 devices have limited access to the ECU of vehicles (specially older models). I would suggest a wired diagnostic tool like Autel, Launch or Topdon.
That is correct and Autel is the most perfect choice for the older Toyota. However the ELM website says that the ELM327 v2.1 is the proper device for reading ECU with ISO 9141 2 protocol. One of my clients having the Corolla (not the Altis) confirmed having better data out of the v2.1 update.

I therefore ordered the v2.1 device on the day of the recent Amazon sale, which is due to be received later today. My earlier device was v1.5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks