Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 20:08   #1486
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Anyone using GoMechanic OBD Scanner?

Any thoughts/feedback ?
Another thing, does it drains battery when the car is parked ?
Old 7th October 2021, 21:16   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Anyone using GoMechanic OBD Scanner?

Any thoughts/feedback ?
Another thing, does it drains battery when the car is parked ?
If all you want is a scanner then just get the cheap blue scanner from Amazn. They are all same inside...all made in China. Do you really think GoMechani is different - its just gimmick.

Yes, they do drain battery, but not so fast, unless you leave it on the car for several 5-6 weeks.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 23:33   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If all you want is a scanner then just get the cheap blue scanner from Amazn. They are all same inside...all made in China. Do you really think GoMechani is different - its just gimmick.

Yes, they do drain battery, but not so fast, unless you leave it on the car for several 5-6 weeks.
Thanks for your response. Yes, its mostly Chinese product but couple of things which they are claiming is
1. Real time GPS tracking
2. Towing alerts

Now, if these are true, my question is how its being done?
1. Does it has module for network communication with SIM embedded?
2. GPS module built in?

Now, if these are there, it will drain battery much faster than any other scanner.
Old 2nd December 2021, 15:22   #1489
BHPian

I saw this review for ELM 327 OBDII device on amazon.

Link for device
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVU666M

It mentions removing fuse of OBDII port will help in prevention of car theft. Is this true?
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_202112021515432.png  

Old 30th December 2021, 16:02   #1490
BHPian

Wow! There are so many OBD scanners tested here.

But, I am currently trying to get an OBD scanner that supports special functions for BS6 Diesel vehicles like reading DPF soot mass, DPF Regen etc.

With the number of BS6 diesel vehicles growing rapidly, I assume very soon anyone who travels to remote places with little backup / support would carry such an OBD scanner!

Personally, I have been driving the BS6 diesel Thar since November 2020 and have faced the OBD lamp glowing multiple times.
Old 31st December 2021, 18:55   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
I saw this review for ELM 327 OBDII device on amazon.

Link for device
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVU666M

It mentions removing fuse of OBDII port will help in prevention of car theft. Is this true?
Turns out this is true. Found the answer on car theft thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...car-theft.html (ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT)

Last edited by NG_EV : 31st December 2021 at 18:59.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:07   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimhan View Post
Stumbled on this thread as I was looking for and OBDII scanner for my Innova. Alas I read several posts which said that the 327 scan tool wouldn't work for the car.

That said, I have something to say about the device which has been supplied by Allianz. My daughter and her husband have these devices fitted on their cars. They live in NY and they got it as a part of the insurance plan for safe driving. They were informed that the driving pattern would be analysed and the premium discounts would depend on the data that was available for analysis by the insurers. This was over 3 years ago. One of the things that happens is that if sudden brakes are applied, the device beeps. I think there is tracking based on driving behaviour. When I checked last, they did receive marginal discounts based on the data.

It will be interesting to know from your Bajaj Allianz experience as to how this worked for you.

Hello. First of all I apologise for this extremely late reply. Today, I have logged in to my TBHP account after a long-long time! And its a pleasant feeling to be back!

Regarding the OBD scanner that came along with Bajaj Allianz insurance, I used it for one whole year as along as that particular insurance plan was active. During that time (year), the device worked very well. It was synced flawlessly to my mobile phone app. I could see all the diagnostic details of my driving pattern. There was a GPS location seen on the app to track the vehicle. It was pretty accurate. The app would also display battery health. It kept a log of all the places I have visited. Some people may call it infringement of their privacy! There may have been some settings to turn it off, not sure though, I never bothered. There were claims by Bajaj Allianz that there would be some discounts based on good and safe driving behaviour. As far as I remember, there was a score assigned for each day based on no. of hard brakings, sudden acceleration, average speed, etc. Perhaps the standards were a bit too high to achieve for an average skilled driver like me. I dont think i consistently scored that high and mostly fell short of the minimum required score. Next year, I think I got bored of it and since the premium was higher than the other plans, I opted out of it and went for another plan in Bajaj Allianz. The OBD still used to work. I had it connected in my car briefly even after changing the insurance plan. But I think it was draining the battery slowly. Now this is my assumption and I may be completely wrong on this. I removed it from the car. I still have the OBD with me. Bajaj guys told me the OBD scanner would stop working after that plan was inactive. Not sure about this claim as mine was still functioning. I think what they meant was that the benefits would cease to exist. I did not get any discounts based on my driving pattern. Maybe I was not a good driver according to them!!

Now my car is more than 7 years old. Surprisingly, I came to know that Bajaj Allianz does not provide zero depreciation insurance to cars more than 6 years old. So in 2020, after completing 6 years, I had to switch to Royal Sundaram zero depreciation insurance.

This is the story of of the Bajaj Allianz ODB !!
ar.abc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:56   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.abc View Post
Now my car is more than 7 years old. Surprisingly, I came to know that Bajaj Allianz does not provide zero depreciation insurance to cars more than 6 years old. So in 2020, after completing 6 years, I had to switch to Royal Sundaram zero depreciation insurance.

This is the story of of the Bajaj Allianz ODB !!
Thank you sir for the update. Regarding your switch to Royal Sundaram, I can only tell you based on my experience that the zero depreciation might not be quite what it is. The Royal Sundaram people are very stubborn as far as repairs are concerned and I had to switch out of it since they were not agreeable to my IDV. People more knowledgeable than me might comment on their experience, but just getting someone to talk about IDV over the phone was an issue. I made multiple calls to them regarding this and finally my patience ran out and I switched to another provider. Hope your experience is better.
Regards, Balaji
Old 15th January 2022, 17:57   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimhan View Post
Thank you sir for the update. Regarding your switch to Royal Sundaram, I can only tell you based on my experience that the zero depreciation might not be quite what it is. The Royal Sundaram people are very stubborn as far as repairs are concerned and I had to switch out of it since they were not agreeable to my IDV. People more knowledgeable than me might comment on their experience, but just getting someone to talk about IDV over the phone was an issue. I made multiple calls to them regarding this and finally my patience ran out and I switched to another provider. Hope your experience is better.
Regards, Balaji

I never had any great expectations from Royal Sundaram. I switched to it for 2 reasons - one, Bajaj stopped offering zero depreciation policy on 6+ years old cars and second, my dad's old car had a Royal Sundaram policy which was bought from Maruti dealer and we dint face any issues with that one. My dad had made some small claims that time. Since my car is also a Maruti, I couldn't think any further.

However, if you may suggest any better option, I will readily switch next time!
ar.abc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 08:44   #1495
BHPian

Can anyone tell me which OBD scanner will work with 2003 Toyota Corolla in India?

I managed to get a Bluedriver OBD scan tool which is very popular choice in NA but it fails to communicate with Corolla's ECU.

And the OBD port is good because the Toyota dealer was able to scan the car with his super expensive tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th January 2022, 11:54   #1496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
Can anyone tell me which OBD scanner will work with 2003 Toyota Corolla in India?
You will have to use a tool that would offer manufacturer specific protocols for such cars since their diagnostics system would not be built to OBD2 standards. You should try buying something from Launch/Autel to be able to use it on older cars and in newer cars to access a higher number of data streams and ECUs. Standard OBD protocol has a very limited scope of functionality.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:56   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You will have to use a tool that would offer manufacturer specific protocols for such cars since their diagnostics system would not be built to OBD2 standards. You should try buying something from Launch/Autel to be able to use it on older cars and in newer cars to access a higher number of data streams and ECUs. Standard OBD protocol has a very limited scope of functionality.
Got it. Sadly it would be very expensive.
Old 30th January 2022, 13:10   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Got it. Sadly it would be very expensive.
You should try asking on Toyota specific forums. I'm sure people have reverse engineered these protocols. Given that Toyotas are around in huge numbers across the world, there would be knockoffs of the expensive diagnostic tools. You could check if tools like Torque have addon packs for your car.

Is your device OBDII compliant? There are some apps that can verify this. After you are sure your device meets this minimum requirement (so many don't), you can look for Toyota specific software.

For my Maruti, I found that none of the standard apps like Torque, etc would read the ATF temperature, but one app called SZ could, but it worked only with a OBD II compliant device, and not the cheap OBD (II?) device I had.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 14:40   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You should try asking on Toyota specific forums. I'm sure people have reverse engineered these protocols. Given that Toyotas are around in huge numbers across the world, there would be knockoffs of the expensive diagnostic tools. You could check if tools like Torque have addon packs for your car.

Is your device OBDII compliant? There are some apps that can verify this. After you are sure your device meets this minimum requirement (so many don't), you can look for Toyota specific software.

For my Maruti, I found that none of the standard apps like Torque, etc would read the ATF temperature, but one app called SZ could, but it worked only with a OBD II compliant device, and not the cheap OBD (II?) device I had.
Yes I will try but I am not sure that if the Corolla sold in India has JDM electricals and ecu or it's specifically tailored for india. Different countries have different regulations and especially with Corolla which is sold in almost every part of the world, there is a lot of variation with different domestic markets.

As far as my device is concerned, it is OBD2 compliant, it only works wit Bluedriver app and doesn't connect with any generic app. From what I have researched, the same device was aple to pull up the ECM info and codes from a new 2005 Honda City in India for someone.

But doing some research older Toyotas have ome other technology for on board diagnostics which might be causing this issue.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 22:15   #1500
BHPian

Quote:

I managed to get a Bluedriver OBD scan tool which is very popular choice in NA but it fails to communicate with Corolla's ECU.

And the OBD port is good because the Toyota dealer was able to scan the car with his super expensive tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have finally found that carpm garage pro works with Toyota Corolla 2003.

So far it appears the only affordable scanner that works with a Toyota this old.

The amount of info you get to read on torque pro app is simply monumental, the garagepro app also works though live data is cheesy on that, on torque it's flawless. In case you are unable to connect, add the following string under Very advanced ELM, it is specific to old Toyota Corolla :

ATIB 96
ATIIA 13
ATSH 8113F1
ATSP A4
ATSW 00

Have fun!!
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks