Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2019, 09:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I have this issue with the Xcent SX(o) used by parents back in hometown as well - but thankfully, there are no braking issues faced so far. Only repeated ABS sensor failures.

ABS warning comes up often and we have had the rear sensors checked and replaced twice already. Had asked the SA to provide a root cause instead of blindly suggesting a replacement once again - and they seem pretty clueless. Was planning to go and have a detailed discussion with the service centre during my next visit to hometown.
I had similar issue in my Petrol Xcent SX(0).. Everytime I started the car everything was normal, after driving for few minutes ABS light would come up.Read somewhere on the forum that the culprit could be battery & that was indeed the case which had served more than 4 years. After changing the battery it's been more than a month & no ABS light.
firstdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 10:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to check how the brakes behave when abs is removed? I experienced very inconsistent braking on my 2015 RC390 when ABS was on. Sometimes it would kick in way too early and the lever feel was always inconsistent. After a while, ABS light used to go on and off now and then occasionally not working and occasionally working. Eventually removed all ABS related junk from the braking system and I swear the brakes have remained phenomenal ever since. Could the same poorly calibrated malfunctioning ABS sensor/pump be the root cause for these braking issues on the Creta?

Still never faced complete lack of braking as described by the OP. Hyundai definitely needs to answer for this. I for one would never buy myself a Hyundai as I feel that they are lackluster to drive and simply devoid of competitive petrol motors, BUT I used to confidently recommend their cars to people who aren't too focused on driving themselves. My close friend bought a Verna automatic on my recommendation and Dad almost bought the same last year again based on my recommendation. I won't be able to recommend the brand anymore until they prove they can sort this out swiftly. As it is the Creta is a dynamically challenged stylish box on stilts, on top of that if the brakes are prone to occasionally completely failing, it is downright murder I feel.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th November 2019 at 10:29.
IshaanIan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 14:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
*Potential Warning to other Creta Owners*
Sorry to hear about this and glad it was a minor accident.

However, I am not at all surprised - I had done some research on this issue back in late 2017 and documented my findings on this post here > Creta Brake Issue

At that time my Uncle had shortlisted the Creta, Compass and a few other cars. I showed him all these reports from the above post and this was one of the main reasons to drop Creta from the shortlist and he finally bought the Compass.
  • Now that the issue has been highlighted on the Home Page of Team-BHP, I hope Hyundai wakes up and does something concrete.
  • If any of the owners of the facelifted Creta faced this issue then please do add those incidents here - so we know if those are impacted as well.
  • We also need to wait and watch if the Creta's cousin, the Seltos has any similar issues given the common parentage.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 24th November 2019 at 14:09.
vsrivatsa is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 14:43   #19
BHPian

Creta's brakes were never confidence inspiring ,but this! This is something else
TDCi'd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 14:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
*Potential Warning to other Creta Owners*
|
|
So at present, what I can say is ABS Sensor Light = No brakes or brake failure. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR.
Sorry to hear about this issue naveen.raju, and I’am glad that it was a minor accident. I too have faced this problem of brake pedal getting jammed during sudden braking in my 2015 Creta when the ABS kicks in. I did mention about this issue quite a few times to the Hyundai ASS during my initial visits to the service centre; but as always those guys didn’t have a solution to any of the problems. But like you, and the fellow BHPians mentioned, this is a serious issue which unfortunately is being turned a deaf ear to by the Hyundai . Guess it’s high time that Hyundai starts taking the customers feedback seriously, rather then just basking on the success of their sales.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th November 2019 at 15:03. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 16:05   #21
BHPian

Seeing this thread, I now recollect a lunch table conversation a couple of years ago, about rental cars. A colleague had mentioned that he is not in favour of rentals as he suspected poor maintenance. The reason was, the Creta he had rented had brake issues.

I can now correlate this comment with the thread.

As far as rental cars go, as we do not know the history or the behavior of the vehicle, we suspect everything to be specific to the car we have rented.

Personal cars - the owners take it upon themselves to get the car fixed.

I think its important to update the rental agencies with car troubles so that they can take appropriate actions too.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2019 at 17:13. Reason: Minor typo.
autocrat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 18:12   #22
BHPian

Pardon me if I’m wrong. But isn’t the actual mechanism of us pressing down on the pedal and the cars brakes being applied mechanical ? Only a handful of high end cars like the new NSX has got the “brake by wire” brakes. Then how can a loss of few electronic sensors result in an actual brake failure? Also shouldn’t the car’s ECU have a backup plan for ensuring braking power in case some pesky sensors conk off?
nakul0888 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 19:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that this issue has not come up on even TeamBHP! Inspite of the Creta selling like hot cakes for more than 3 years!

Absolutely pathetic that Hyundai has not been able to identify this issue, or even worse, they have identified the issue with no recall. Thats cheap!

I respect Honda for the airbags recall inspite of being in bad state in Indian market compared to Maruti and Hyundai.

I had my ABS sensor replaced recently, and after seeing the size of the sensor, thought that our life depends on the functioning of such a small component.

I think Indians dont value their life as much as the fancy dashboard touch and music systems and hence Maruti and Hyundai keep selling like hot cakes.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 20:14   #24
BHPian

I realised the importance of ABS after I got an Etios. Never had any scary moments with it.
My previous first generation swift without any safety features use to give me few nervous moments.

It is criminal if such an important component fails in a hot selling car manufactured by Hyundai. Hyundai is not selling Creta at a cheap price to be honest.

Manufacturers like Datsun are being taken to task by all of us for making unsafe cars. But they sell cars cheap, so we are getting according to what we pay. Recently, Santro also which is sold at premium prices compared to competitors, didn't fare too well on crash test, but we all are quiet about it.

OP was lucky that his car hit an another car. Imagine the same car hitting a bystander or a biker,the damage could be fatal or render the victim morbid for life even if the car would have been at similar low speeds.

It would be better if all the owners ask questions to Hyundai about the same. Keep spamming them with mails and also share it on social media as much as possible. A silence from our side will make Hyundai feel that all this is acceptable to the masses of India and let us continue selling cars at premium prices without even bothering a zilch about poor Indian's life.
DrCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 21:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Having read so much about issues in recent Hyundais, specially niggles in Verna and Creta, I don't think "fuss free ownership experience" can be written anymore about Hyundai cars.

I was looking at Hyundai venue for the extended family, but the reliability concerns keep me away from stepping into Hyundai showroom. In the last decade, my friends have had horrible ownership experience with the accent. For the past couple years, there have been many instances where reliability issues of Hyundai cars have been on auto news.

Having a brake failure on the move can not be tolerated at all. Indeed lucky and glad that you were driving at creep speeds.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 23:59   #26
BHPian

Unfortunate, glad that the speed was low and accident was minor. I wish Hyundai recalls and rectifies proactively.

Single faulty sensor caused a Lion Air. IMO, it is a cardinal sin to design something that puts life at stake off a single point failure.

Just curious, didn't you apply hand braking.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 00:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I'm not an expert, but I don't think that the ABS and the EBD system have any impact on the force needed to be applied to the brake pedal. The force required solely rests on the brake booster system.
This is not accurate for the more advanced systems where they continuously monitor the braking required and assist the driver by applying more force than usual. For instance, if you lift off very quickly from the accelerator pedal, the system thinks that you are going to brake hard and pre-charges the brakes - ready for immediate action. When panic braking is detected, the Brake Assist system automatically develops maximum brake boost in order to mitigate a driver's tendency to brake without enough force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Pardon me if I’m wrong. But isn’t the actual mechanism of us pressing down on the pedal and the cars brakes being applied mechanical ? Only a handful of high end cars like the new NSX has got the “brake by wire” brakes. Then how can a loss of few electronic sensors result in an actual brake failure? Also shouldn’t the car’s ECU have a backup plan for ensuring braking power in case some pesky sensors conk off?
The ABS unit is a mechanical device that can release the hydraulic pressure being exerted by the driver on the brake pedal when required to control skids. Imagine filling air in a balloon while someone is poking holes in it simultaneously.

Perhaps improper functioning of the ABS pump is what is causing this issue? Obviously if every manufacturer other than Hyundai is able to have fail-safe systems to prevent this from ever happening, Hyundai clearly has a responsibility to stand up and take remedial action before this causes more accidents.

Last edited by d3mon : 25th November 2019 at 00:22.
d3mon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 06:46   #28
BHPian

We have a brand new Santro, and we also have some issues with the ABS. Even at really small speeds and when moving over a pot hole or a speed bump, if we have applied brakes the ABS kicks in and the ABS motor starts to run.

It is strange that we have not applied hard brakes or even at really low speeds that ABS is kicking in. We suspected the speed sensors and reported this during the free service.

I think the ABS / ESP in Hyundai case is set too sensitive to Indian road conditions.
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 07:01   #29
BHPian

I was in the market for a new SUV and now the Creta is definitely off the list. Not saying every Hyundai product is defective but the sheer amount of similar complaints makes me worry if this product has been adequately tested. Hyundai needs to do a vehicle recall and fix this issue at the earliest if they really care about the safety of their customers.
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 08:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
I was in the market for a new SUV and now the Creta is definitely off the list. Not saying every Hyundai product is defective but the sheer amount of similar complaints makes me worry if this product has been adequately tested. Hyundai needs to do a vehicle recall and fix this issue at the earliest if they really care about the safety of their customers.
Is it really a generic and common problem, don't think so. At least half a million Creta has been sold in India. Undoubtedly its a serious issue, but It seems like one-off problem.
gutsy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks