Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 15:29   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Just wanted to report the ABS issue with my cousins Creta.

The car had its ABS light lit up and he called me to ask what to do. I asked him to stop driving the car, but being in remote place we decided to take the risk of driving it home at extremely low speed and using engine braking as much as possible.

Car was given to Popular, Muvattupuzha and was being worked on for last 2 days. They are replacing the back wheel ABS sensor as per the SA. Not sure of the details, but will be meeting him to see the service bill to understand what all were replaced. The car should reach him today after the repair.
That's exactly what had happened to me. BTW, how many kms have the car clocked? Amazed to see the number of people coming forward on FB reporting this issue. Wonder why Hyundai is silent about this.

I have dropped a mail to Hyundai asking for an explanation from them. Let's see if they will reply.
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 18:19   #77
BHPian

The number of times this issue is being reported is too high. Given the number of Cretas on our roads, this is a serious hazard to owners and other road users. Hyundai needs to address this issue immediately. Such issues are unacceptable from the 2nd biggest manufacturer in the country.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 17:41   #78
BHPian

I feel this is serious enough to warrant an official enquiry and solution from Hyundai. If they don't do it, I request Team BHP mods to mention this issue and link this thread in all new Hyundai reviews. That is the least we should do as a community of customers completely ignored by a leading auto company, that too on a critical safety issue. I am an avid Team BHP reader, but had completely missed this issue until now, as it is still in the Technical section of this forum.

Niggles and issues happen in every car, but matters critical enough to endanger life of people should be seriously and urgently addressed by any auto manufacturer.

Last edited by CoolFire : 8th March 2020 at 17:43.
CoolFire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:43   #79
BHPian

Since the issue is not a one off by the posts above and could result in catastrophic accidents.(God forbid)

I wish this thread was pinned to homepage until Hyundai responds with RCA(root cause analysis) and maybe a recall. I would be worried if same issue exists in new 2020 Creta. Until clarity from Hyundai it is off my shopping list in near future.

I wonder why customers give Hyundai such an easy pass.
SideView is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 22:01   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Jismon Joy shares his horrific ordeal from last month:
forgive my ignorance, but in those scenarios, wouldn't the hand brake work and bring the car to a halt? It wouldn't be like they showed in the older movies where brake failures occurred and the car was travelling at top speed always without losing speed.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 22:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
but in those scenarios, wouldn't the hand brake work and bring the car to a halt?
Handbrakes could indeed help in bringing the car to a stop. But if you look at it, almost all of these incidents happened in bumper to bumper traffic or low speeds. You've to assume that the drivers would be leaving just enough space to come to a stop. We don't have the luxury of leaving more space than what is required in India. Unless you want to be cut off by someone from the other lane. And by the time they realize that the brakes are not working, they would've, in all probability, crashed.

If you know that you don't have the brakes, you'd be driving with even more care. And it is said that people were indeed driving some of the cars after they realized that the brakes were faulty, relying on handbrakes and engine braking.

After seeing all these posts, the only question that leaves me a bit troubled is that, we hear from owners who experienced this fault and were fortunate enough to walk away from it. What if there was someone who wasn't as fortunate as them? Given how our law works, even if something like that happened, it probably would've been considered as over-speeding/rash driving. There would've been no efforts to dig deeper. Honestly, I cannot believe why Hyundai isn't facing legal actions at this point.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 9th March 2020 at 22:24.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 22:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's exactly what had happened to me. BTW, how many kms have the car clocked? Amazed to see the number of people coming forward on FB reporting this issue. Wonder why Hyundai is silent about this.

I have dropped a mail to Hyundai asking for an explanation from them. Let's see if they will reply.
The vehicle is just about 2 years old with 11,000 kms clocked. The repair work caried out was rear bearing sensor replacement (part no. 589800Q000). The labour invoice mentions it as right side rear ABS sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post

If you know that you don't have the brakes, you'd be driving with even more care. And it is said that people were indeed driving some of the cars after they realized that the brakes were faulty, relying on handbrakes and engine braking.

Thanks to this thread, I could warn my cousin (the driver) on what he was walking into. An unaware driver will never have the mental composure to think about engine braking or hand brake. You press brake and if the car is not stopping, panic sets in. Getting out of that shock itself will take moments - which are precious few seconds before any mishap.

Mods:- Please merge this to the previous post. Sorry forgot the mutiquote options

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th March 2020 at 23:07. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks.
Sedate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 07:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Just wanted to report the ABS issue with my cousins Creta.

The car had its ABS light lit up and he called me to ask what to do. I asked him to stop driving the car, but being in remote place we decided to take the risk of driving it home at extremely low speed and using engine braking as much as possible.
Just to confirm, did your cousin actually face lose of brakes ? Or was it just an ABS light blinking and he becoming paranoid because of this thread. I am not trying to downplay the thread. If he has faced loss of braking then this is the third instance of brake loss in this thread itself. Statistically that is a big number which means there could be 100s of Cretas facing this issue because Creta sells in that kind of numbers. Please confirm if he has actually faced loss of brakes.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:07   #84
BHPian

I had an elite i20 sports 2014 model, sold it in 2018, was never confident of the braking, I had got brakes cleaned n number of times, got them bled also many times, but never felt confident, was the last in a 5 vehicle pileup on BETL some years back, it felt as if the brakes didn't work at all!!

The damage was negligible, but totally felt betrayed, my Ford Fiesta or the earlier Esteem were spot on when it came to braking, specially the esteem.

Is there any sub 15 lac car which gives peace of mind w.r.t braking ?
Old 10th March 2020, 08:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
The Yaris with all wheel disc brakes does have terrific brake feel, however since the model is not popular not many want to go for it.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 08:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
If they don't do it, I request Team BHP mods to mention this issue and link this thread in all new Hyundai reviews
I fully agree with this recommendation - this is the only way to tame a rogue elephant. I sincerely hope they fixed it in the 2020 Creta and these current Gen Creta parts are not shared with the Kia Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
The damage was negligible, but totally felt betrayed, my Ford Fiesta or the earlier Esteem were spot on when it came to braking, specially the esteem.

I have driven several Maruti cars and own a Ignis. While their Build/Metal Quality is questionable, the braking is excellent. Especially their Nexa offerings have had ABS & EBD standard across the full range since the inception of Nexa.

Similar experience with the Honda City as well - the braking is very confidence inspiring. Based on what we are seeing with complaints here, I guess for better braking one needs to step out of the Hyundai brand.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 10th March 2020 at 09:09.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:07   #87
BHPian

All Honda cars have excellent brakes. While the brake pedal feel may vary, but, braking is spot on.
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:12   #88
BHPian

@Mods, can we have a separate sub forum under Indian Car scene, for this sort of serious issues?
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I have driven several Maruti cars and own a Ignis. While their Build/Metal Quality is questionable, the braking is excellent. Especially their Nexa offerings have had ABS & EBD standard across the full range since the inception of Nexa.
Off topic:
I agree on this part. My 11 year old Ritz's ABS failed recently while I was driving at speed of around 60KMPH and the ABS light lit up. After that I started driving slow with hands on my hand break.

Next day I took it to service centre and they confirmed the left front wheel ABS sensor needs to be replaced. But I didn't feel any difference in braking and the EBD was working fine. In fact I never felt my braking confidence going down in the last 11 years with the Ritz.

Interesting thing is, it seems Ritz has ABS sensors only in the front wheels, may be because it doesn't have vehicle stability control. I might be wrong.

Last edited by Kannan : 10th March 2020 at 11:30. Reason: Grammar
Old 10th March 2020, 11:27   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

UPDATE:

Like many have pointed out the seriousness of this issue with more owners reporting the same issue and asking TBHP to contact Hyundai, let's wait and see what happens as I have now opened a complaint with Hyundai the second time and they have now responded. Am in talks with the Regional Manager regarding this and I shall keep the thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
forgive my ignorance, but in those scenarios, wouldn't the hand brake work and bring the car to a halt? It wouldn't be like they showed in the older movies where brake failures occurred and the car was travelling at top speed always without losing speed.
Yes, you are right. Handbrake will definitely work but as BHPian Keeleri_achu pointed out, this happened in B2B traffic and happened all too quickly. Didn't even get time to react.

Moreover, I drove the next few kms using the handbrake.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks