Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2023, 12:49   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners)

Hi. Just want some advice. My Creta diesel automatic has crossed one lakh kilometres. I was not in station for about 16 days and now (last two days) whenever I press the brake to start the vehicle, the brake pedal is very hard but becomes normal when the engine starts. Is this something that I have to worry about since it is the first time such a thing is happening? Could it be a symptom for any major upcoming problem?
Old 7th April 2023, 14:01   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
Hi. Just want some advice. My Creta diesel automatic has crossed one lakh kilometres. I was not in station for about 16 days and now (last two days) whenever I press the brake to start the vehicle, the brake pedal is very hard but becomes normal when the engine starts. Is this something that I have to worry about since it is the first time such a thing is happening? Could it be a symptom for any major upcoming problem?
As per my knowledge its by design and that's how it works.
When the ignition is turned on the pedal play becomes smooth.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 14:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
As per my knowledge its by design and that's how it works.
When the ignition is turned on the pedal play becomes smooth.
This was not how it worked for the last 7 years. Even before starting, the brake pedal was normal. I am facing this issue only for the last two days
Old 7th April 2023, 15:04   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
As per my knowledge its by design and that's how it works...
Quote:
This was not how it worked for the last 7 years.
That's curious. It is how every car I have ever driven is. The foot brake needs engine power before there is any assistance. Stopping a moving car without the engine running is hard work and the pedal is hard to press.

But, I haven't driven a Creta. have only driven one Hyundi: an i20, for a few days, a couple of months ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 15:15   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's curious. It is how every car I have ever driven is. The foot brake needs engine power before there is any assistance. Stopping a moving car without the engine running is hard work and the pedal is hard to press.

But, I haven't driven a Creta. have only driven one Hyundi: an i20, for a few days, a couple of months ago.
Probably I didn't word the sentence properly. Normally it is easy to press the brake pedal fully down before the engine is switched on except on occasions when the steering gets locked. However, now the pedal is really hard and hardly depresses an inch but eases out after the engine starts. This is something new for me and hence the question.
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 15:16   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was not how it worked for the last 7 years. Even before starting, the brake pedal was normal. I am facing this issue only for the last two days
Ussually, the system will have some pressure left for a couple of presses before it goes hard and requiring an engine start. But when you keep it idle for a long time, it loses that pressure. I have found this happening in my Xcent when it is kept idle for one or two weeks. But it becomes the old self after a couple of drives. If it is running everyday, even before starting in the morning, the brakes will be soft for a couple of presses.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 15:22   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By default, the brake pedals are really hard. It is thanks to the brake booster that it becomes easier to press the brake pedals.

Here's a sample video on brake booster:

Assuming the Creta has a vacuum brake booster, the vacuum is usually maintained when the engine is turned off. Normally, once you pump the brakes a few times, the air vacuum ceases to exist making the brakes hard. This vacuum is then created once the engine is turned off.

From the symptoms you've shared, it could be that the brake booster is unable to maintain the vacuum after switching off the engine due to a possible leak. I don't know if this is a safety issue but what is certain is that the engine/ any electrical pump that creates the vacuum will need to work extra hard to maintain the vacuum however small/great an effort it might be.

For all you know, my analysis to this situation could be completely wrong. You can always get your vehicle checked at the ASS or competent FNG.

Last edited by Turbohead : 7th April 2023 at 15:23.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 15:35   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Ussually, the system will have some pressure left for a couple of presses before it goes hard and requiring an engine start. But when you keep it idle for a long time, it loses that pressure. I have found this happening in my Xcent when it is kept idle for one or two weeks. But it becomes the old self after a couple of drives. If it is running everyday, even before starting in the morning, the brakes will be soft for a couple of presses.
Thanks. I think that you have hit bull's eye. Since the vehicle was not used for more than two weeks, this could be the problem. I will give it a few more days before I take it for a check up.
thesilentone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:45   #144
BHPian

Just came across this video, from a2z car service channel, according to him, brake failure at a speed less than 20km/h, occurred due to faulty ABS sensor at the rear in the first generation Creta. He replaced ABS sensors at both the rear wheels, and the problem was cured. On the scanner one rear ABS sensor was showing a speed mismatch.
gsratta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks