Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2007, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
1. First the revvs starting dropping because my clutch was totally burnt .. It couldn't transfer the power to the wheels ..
If your clutch was totally burnt, the revs wouldn't drop, would they? Wouldn't they instead climb, without any corresponding increase in speed?
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2007, 14:10   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If your clutch was totally burnt, the revs wouldn't drop, would they? Wouldn't they instead climb, without any corresponding increase in speed?
Theoretically yes .. But the car wouldn't traverse further .. The minute I stepped on the A pedal and slip the clutch it would not transfer power to the wheels and the revvs were dropping .. Had to tow the car back to get the cutch replacement done ..
Old 14th May 2007, 15:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If its overheated, the clutch wont release even if you press the pedal, right? It will just stick together?

What you describe is true for worn out plates.
Old 14th May 2007, 16:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Only reason something like this can happen is due to a clogged air filter, another thing I would reccomend is that you keep the car above 1500 rpm in any gear when you drive.
Old 14th May 2007, 16:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

Back to the topic, guys.

Today afternoon I decided to visit the service center. As I turned into the main road which has about 10 degree gradient, the Baleno started struggling to take it at 2nd gear. This was much worse than yesterday. Suddenly, I had doubts about reaching the service center which is 8 Kms away. I had to turn off AC in 2nd gear to climb a hill I usually do in 4th gear with AC. After many such close calls(to shutdown) I finally managed to reach the Maruti dealer/service center.

After hearing the trouble, the service adviser (SA) wanted a test drive. He took the driver seat, turned on the engine in neutral. He tried revving in neutral, he could never take it beyond 3.5K and idle remained around 500. Then he said he won't need the test drive, the problem is apparent. He also wondered how I made it all the way to the service station.

He suspects 3 things, it is either bad fuel, air intake blocked or current/electrical. He is going to get back once he completes the diagnostics.
Old 14th May 2007, 16:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After hearing the trouble, the service adviser (SA) wanted a test drive. He took the driver seat, turned on the engine in neutral. He tried revving in neutral, he could never take it beyond 3.5K and idle remained around 500. Then he said he won't need the test drive, the problem is apparent. He also wondered how I made it all the way to the service station.

He suspects 3 things, it is either bad fuel, air intake blocked or current/electrical. He is going to get back once he completes the diagnostics.
I would also assume it is either the air filter or the ECU is in limp mode somehow. Let us see the outcome.
Old 14th May 2007, 16:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

Air filter, clogged fuel lines or water in fuel?
Old 14th May 2007, 16:30   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
I would also assume it is either the air filter or the ECU is in limp mode somehow. Let us see the outcome.
, but a malfunctioning MIL ?? ..
Old 14th May 2007, 16:47   #24
Team-BHP Support

It is K&N stock exchange filter, just completed 2 years. But I have only done 16K on my car until now in relatively dust free environment.
Old 14th May 2007, 20:01   #25
Team-BHP Support

16 k kms is boderline, i know K&N and have used it but even for a city like Bangalore i felt cleaning was necessary at around 10 to 15 k kms?

what say K&N experts?

Again i have one buddy who is using K&N OE replacement in his OHC and covered more than 40k kms, recently he feels the car is not pulling well and a slight drop in FE.
Old 14th May 2007, 20:20   #26
BHPian

Could this be the ignition coil? A similar thing happened to my car recently. But in my case, the engine revs were dropping to around 500 rpm only after driving for some time.The injector malfunction lamp would come on.The car was losing all its power and it felt as if the engine was running on just 3 cylinders.However, the ECU diagnosis should point out the problem.

Last edited by roms : 14th May 2007 at 20:23.
Old 14th May 2007, 22:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Samurai I would recommend you have the air filter cleaned 1st.
Had faced an issue with acceleration a few days back whilst driving to coorg.

I use a conical filter on my baleno, car had done only 6k kms with the filter. When I got it cleaned there was quite a bit of dust which had settled in.
I presume 16k is a bit on the higher side and its high time that you get it cleaned.

Got the throttle body also cleaned and the car runs perfectly fine now.
Old 14th May 2007, 22:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I use a conical filter on my baleno, car had done only 6k kms with the filter. When I got it cleaned there was quite a bit of dust which had settled in.
I presume 16k is a bit on the higher side and its high time that you get it cleaned.
The K&N is supposed to be good for 70,000 Kms before every cleaning, and 40,000 Kms in dusty conditions. So why 16K is on the high side?

Anyway, the car already at Maruti service center. I'll know the cause tomorrow.
Old 14th May 2007, 23:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Most probably it is an electrical thing. it could not be the air filter as i had said earlier simply for the reasons quoted above.

But no way it can be the clutch since samurai does not race or abuse his car, how could the clutch burn so early ?
Old 14th May 2007, 23:21   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The K&N is supposed to be good for 70,000 Kms before every cleaning, and 40,000 Kms in dusty conditions. So why 16K is on the high side?

Samurai - I've been instructed by my K&N guy to get my Swift's stock replacement K&N cleaned every 13000 kms. I would suggest not to wait till 40k kms to get yours cleaned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks