Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 00:26   #1066
BHPian

Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Well.. i've had a fair share of expenditure on her.. she's 12yrs n counting (Jan'00 model). I think it's over 78k on the odo.. didnt check it today. But i've had a bit of expenditure on replacing the clutch (though quite long ago), the original exhaust got rusted and was surprisingly rotten at the mounts/attachment point.. required replacement of the 3 piece exhaust tube.

Apart from that, i'm on my second set of headlights (changed the originals after the plastics got dull).. the clutch seems to be acting up again, the steering is leaking oil, and now from Ryan's response.. it seems i need to be looking at the brakes too! :P

edit: btw.. reminds me, i dont recall having the throttle body cleant or serviced. is it required and is it easily possible by a mechanic or is it complex and requires careful servicing?? Not sure if i should ask my mech to take a look at it.. I've noticed a slight drop in FE in city driving but on my trip to Goa n back.. based on my calculations, she averaged a healthy 17.6 kmpl approx. Idle Rpm is around 800/900 steady.
Wow thats some good average !
i get 8 in city and 11 on highway 80 % ac on

Call me crazy but i send my car every 45 - 50 days to solitare to get the throttle body cleaned and for a tune up , trust me when i say it , No one has been able to tune my the car the way they do !
BTW my ivac is faulty and needs replacement , since its costs around 14k at the service station - the guys at solitare have asked me to source the part myself from outside and they will install it , .. any leads from where to get it ?

here is a little diy on the rims , anti rust liquid ..it will come off in a week ! just thought id share
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-gtgtgt-1-1.jpg  

Last edited by ryan_wheelz : 13th July 2012 at 00:28.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:19   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
edit: btw.. reminds me, i dont recall having the throttle body cleant or serviced. is it required and is it easily possible by a mechanic or is it complex and requires careful servicing?? Not sure if i should ask my mech to take a look at it.. I've noticed a slight drop in FE in city driving but on my trip to Goa n back.. based on my calculations, she averaged a healthy 17.6 kmpl approx. Idle Rpm is around 800/900 steady.
get the throttle body cleaned up. it should be done every 15-20k kms. if your mechanic is competent, he should be able to do it. make sure it is opened and cleaned properly - some mechanics would just spray a cleaning liquid on it without taking it off. you may experience a problem of fluctuating RPM (unless proper adjustment is done) after a throttle body cleaning service since it takes off the carbon deposits and increases the gap between butterfly and throttle body. i have run into this problem twice after throttle body cleaning and it goes away by itself in 7-8 days.

did you ever get the injectors cleaned? you might get that done as well.

the average you are getting is very good. i get 11.8-12.5 in city (with 60% AC), no idea about highway mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Call me crazy but i send my car every 45 - 50 days to solitare to get the throttle body cleaned and for a tune up , trust me when i say it , No one has been able to tune my the car the way they do !
why does your car need a tune up every 50 days? it is highly unusual OR is it because of faulty ivac?

Last edited by infotech58 : 13th July 2012 at 10:21.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 10:21   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Wow thats some good average !
i get 8 in city and 11 on highway 80 % ac on

BTW my ivac is faulty and needs replacement , since its costs around 14k at the service station - the guys at solitare have asked me to source the part myself from outside and they will install it , .. any leads from where to get it ?

here is a little diy on the rims , anti rust liquid ..it will come off in a week ! just thought id share
My highway run had intermittent use of A/c as personally i dont like it too much.. mostly used it once the sun came up but i'd say the use was around 50% of the time if not less... could explain the difference in FE

For the tuning, how much do they charge to service the TB??

Regarding the IVAC.. i'm not sure, but i'm guessing Shetty Motors again would be your best bet?
Old 15th July 2012, 17:00   #1069
BHPian

Update: So after the first few weeks of mumbai rains.. here's the FE i got. Used a tankfull to tankfull method which worked out around 356 km per 30.5 Lts give or take = 11.67 kmpl. Mixed mode (A/c intermittent use) pure City driving.
Old 15th July 2012, 17:14   #1070
BHPian

chanced upon this thread after long. i have a 1999 model 1.3 OHC with 92k on the odo. Have been in love with the car. it has had its fair share of issues in the past 1 yr which i am highlighting:

1. the rear dampers were gone leaking oil and going clunk clunk over ever pothole.

2. the steering was leaking oil.

enquired at solitaire honda and they quoted 25k! got it done at a local mechanic with parts from prakash auto in milan. net cost 10k. this was about 6 months back.

Off late, the front dampers also seem to have developed the same issue.

also last week after the rains, water seeped in. The passenger side footwell was soaked in 1 inch water! searching on tbhp gave an idea that it could be the drainage pipe blocked. my car is parked under trees most of the time.

solitaire quoted 1500 for cleaning of the drainage pipe! anyone else faced similar issues? where can i get it done outside for cheap?

Among other issues, the clutch has been super hard and doors all creaky.

P.S: i have recently got a swift zdi and the city is now used just 1-2 times a week.
Old 16th July 2012, 01:14   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
also last week after the rains, water seeped in. The passenger side footwell was soaked in 1 inch water! searching on tbhp gave an idea that it could be the drainage pipe blocked. my car is parked under trees most of the time.

solitaire quoted 1500 for cleaning of the drainage pipe! anyone else faced similar issues? where can i get it done outside for cheap?

Among other issues, the clutch has been super hard and doors all creaky.
The drain pipe issue is a DIY job.infact its very simple.I had attached images of the process.Though i did not do it as a diy i got it done at the garage while fixing my wiper linkage.

Firstly open up your wipers and remove them.Secondly the wiper panel cover is on clips and can be removed easily.On the extreme left and right you can use a vaccum cleaner or some sort of tool to clean out the muck.That should solve the problem.I had exactly the same issue you mentioned.
Clutch could be an adjustment to the cable.Pop the hood adjust the cable and you should be fine.
As for your doors just spray wd40 thoroughly.
Hope it helps.Do update us.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 01:19   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
she averaged a healthy 17.6 kmpl approx. Idle Rpm is around 800/900 steady.
17 That's how much mine runs on two litres of petrol.

Btw, a set of front disks would set you back by around 3.5k. Had checked this when I bought my brake pads from City Motors. Dont know if the quote was for an original one or not, but he said its the OE setup.

Last edited by seedyk : 16th July 2012 at 01:20.
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 10:02   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda

The drain pipe issue is a DIY job.infact its very simple.I had attached images of the process.Though i did not do it as a diy i got it done at the garage while fixing my wiper linkage.

Firstly open up your wipers and remove them.Secondly the wiper panel cover is on clips and can be removed easily.On the extreme left and right you can use a vaccum cleaner or some sort of tool to clean out the muck.That should solve the problem.I had exactly the same issue you mentioned.
Clutch could be an adjustment to the cable.Pop the hood adjust the cable and you should be fine.
As for your doors just spray wd40 thoroughly.
Hope it helps.Do update us.
Thanks raycers. Your visual guide was actually very helpful and I have cleaned up as much as I could. I did not open te wiper assembly though if this outside cleaning does not help will remove and clean completely.

Need more help on the clutch cable adjust. Is it a DIY job too? How is tr adjustment to be done.

And what's wd40? I am a noob when it comes to technical details Related to a car .
Old 16th July 2012, 10:22   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Need more help on the clutch cable adjust. Is it a DIY job too? How is tr adjustment to be done.

And what's wd40? I am a noob when it comes to technical details Related to a car .
your car has done 92k and if the clutch/pressure plate has never been changed, it might be due for a change now; in such case, adjusting the clutch cable won't do much good.

leaky dampers also indicates that your car has not under gone a suspension overhaul ever; you should look at replacing the dampers, lower arms, and all the bushes.

WD-40 is a lubricant; available easily - should cost around 100 bucks. check this link: WD-40 Lubricates, Protects, Penetrates & Displaces Moisture
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 11:18   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
17 That's how much mine runs on two litres of petrol.

Btw, a set of front disks would set you back by around 3.5k. Had checked this when I bought my brake pads from City Motors. Dont know if the quote was for an original one or not, but he said its the OE setup.

Thanks for the quote.. i'm trying hard to outlast the monsoon before i put her in for an overhaul on what needs to be checked. Should give me more time to save up for the expenses too

Keep in mind she's a 1.3 Exi... compared to the 1.5, from what i know.. the 1.3's had good FE's anyway. Could also possibly be explained by driving style? but that's subjective.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:38   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quote.. i'm trying hard to outlast the monsoon before i put her in for an overhaul on what needs to be checked. Should give me more time to save up for the expenses too

Keep in mind she's a 1.3 Exi... compared to the 1.5, from what i know.. the 1.3's had good FE's anyway. Could also possibly be explained by driving style? but that's subjective.
Why don't you get them skimmed ? The vibrations might be due to the uneven wear. Give it a try before going in for new ones.

Btw, mine's a 1.3dx, and believe me, i drive her as sedately as possible, except for the once a month redlining.

Now that i've got the throttle body cleaned, a new air filter with the engine flushed and oil changed, will try the tankful method. Hope it breaks the previous record of 8kmpl in the city

Last edited by seedyk : 16th July 2012 at 11:41.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:27   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Why don't you get them skimmed ? The vibrations might be due to the uneven wear. Give it a try before going in for new ones.

Btw, mine's a 1.3dx, and believe me, i drive her as sedately as possible, except for the once a month redlining.

Now that i've got the throttle body cleaned, a new air filter with the engine flushed and oil changed, will try the tankful method. Hope it breaks the previous record of 8kmpl in the city
Oh! lol. weird! But i always got decent FE from my car. On the lower side i have hit 9.5 in city.. Highway though was always great! Admittedly, I'm not a big A/c user.. but i cant say for sure what % of the time it would have involved A/c use on the highway runs. Not more than 50% is my guess..

In the city.. it's just a combination of the traffic that would be the biggest factor i guess.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:39   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58

your car has done 92k and if the clutch/pressure plate has never been changed, it might be due for a change now; in such case, adjusting the clutch cable won't do much good.

leaky dampers also indicates that your car has not under gone a suspension overhaul ever; you should look at replacing the dampers, lower arms, and all the bushes.

WD-40 is a lubricant; available easily - should cost around 100 bucks. check this link: WD-40 Lubricates, Protects, Penetrates & Displaces Moisture
Thanks! I guess this major overhaul is due. Have only got it at the service centre. Is the clutch/suspension replacement part of the regular service schedule?

I have got the steering oil leaking problem rectified and rear dampers replaced last month. Need to do that for clutch and front dampers too.

How much would that cost? Any mechanic recommended in Mumbai? I stay in the suburbs.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:05   #1079
BHPian

My FE was calculated with the AC on all the time. Though the driving was in peak traffic. I'm sure she'll perform much better now, after the servicing.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:10   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I guess this major overhaul is due. Have only got it at the service centre. Is the clutch/suspension replacement part of the regular service schedule?

I have got the steering oil leaking problem rectified and rear dampers replaced last month. Need to do that for clutch and front dampers too.

How much would that cost? Any mechanic recommended in Mumbai? I stay in the suburbs.
checking the clutch/suspension and replacing the same if required is part of the service checklist.

replacement of cluth/pressure plate should cost at around 6-7k at a trusted garage OR about 12-14k at Honda A.S.S.
a set of dampers should cost you around 4500-5000 bucks + labor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks