Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 13:38   #1201
BHPian

Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Could you share where did you get the overhaul work done?

Thanks!
Got it done at a shop in palika bhawan, opp hyatt hotel. It was on the ground floor,dont remember the name.Incase you want to go there, just ask anyone where the lathewalas shop is and they will guide you to it.
bad_azz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 15:39   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Has anyone put any ancillary lights in the cabin. The standard I have are the roof light and the reading lamp at the back.
In my Ohc I have put under dash lighting. I'm looking for something to replace the roof lamp. Maybe change the bulb or change the fitting etc. I'm not looking for some cheap stuff like in the taxi's. I want something which would look neat and of good quality.
If any of you'll have any ideas or done anything similar do post some pics up here.
I was also fed up with the overhead dull bulb so i changed it to White LEDs which are bright enough. Any accessory shop will help you get this done. I too have blue under dash lights, wanted white but the guy installed blue .
Old 5th October 2012, 17:19   #1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
True, also that usually happens after a TB cleanup which CH has done.
First of all, apologies for this very late post!
I tried the following things:

1) Injector cleaning (by machine)
2) Oil and Fuel filter change
3) Normal servicing - including oil change (even though it was not due!)
4) Checked O2 sensor- at a first look it seems to be ok. Deccan Honda guys mentioned - there will be light signal if there is anything wrong with O2 sensor! I don't think that can be relied on for a car this old!
5) Did not try to remove and check IACV so far. Genuine spare parts is an issue for both O2 and IACV! Any pointers for spare if at all I need to change them?

So far, no improvements So, going to Deccan Honda tomorrow for a thorough check. I went there a couple of weeks back. They have doubted Throttle Body and also mentioned that it will take time to get spare! But, I wanted a thorough check before we can decide/assume anything. Probably ECM? Let's see what they have in store! I'll again post after I get something concrete for sure!

Thanks to all who responded to my queries. Any other suggestion is most welcome...
Old 5th October 2012, 21:31   #1204
Senior - BHPian

You have a dirty IACV, nothing else. Your Honda dealer will ask you to replace the whole TB which will cost upwards of 9k. A dirty IACV will not show up in any scan, neither will it throw a check engine light.

Get it cleaned properly and calibrated. That should fix your problem.
Old 5th October 2012, 22:27   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
Got it done at a shop in palika bhawan, opp hyatt hotel.
I was asking about the place you get the whole car mechanical done. Place where you get the steering and rack dismantled.
Old 6th October 2012, 17:33   #1206
Senior - BHPian

I am facing two problems:
1. One of the exhaust outlet (the ones that peep out from under the rear bumper) has broken loose (rusting mostly). Do I need to get a new exhaust muffler? :(

2. I observed the temp needle at full Hot yesterday night. So today I opened the radiator cap and peeped - it was empty. Shouldn't there be coolant/water filled till the radiator cap? Also the coolant overflow tank had some coolant below the "min" mark.
So I emptied about 1-1.5 L water via the radiator cap.

3. Started the vehicle, gave race etc. Waited till the temp needle started rising. But the radiator fan didn't start. However, peculiarly - radiator fan as well as ac condensor fan start immediately when I switch on the AC.
I waited for a long time, the temp did not rise above 1/2 way - and the radiator fan didn't start.

So is it fine now?
Old 7th October 2012, 11:02   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1
I am facing two problems:
1. One of the exhaust outlet (the ones that peep out from under the rear bumper) has broken loose (rusting mostly). Do I need to get a new exhaust muffler? :(

2. I observed the temp needle at full Hot yesterday night. So today I opened the radiator cap and peeped - it was empty. Shouldn't there be coolant/water filled till the radiator cap? Also the coolant overflow tank had some coolant below the "min" mark.
So I emptied about 1-1.5 L water via the radiator cap.

3. Started the vehicle, gave race etc. Waited till the temp needle started rising. But the radiator fan didn't start. However, peculiarly - radiator fan as well as ac condensor fan start immediately when I switch on the AC.
I waited for a long time, the temp did not rise above 1/2 way - and the radiator fan didn't start.

So is it fine now?
Radiator leakage. I faced same issue few months back. After filling water the temperature will not rise. But drive it for sometime and then the water will start evaporating through the leak and the temperature will rise. Replacement radiator costs 3500 approx from a company called avia. Don't try m seal etc to plug the leak as they don't hold and you might be stranded somewhere due to it when it comes off.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 10:55   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Radiator leakage. I faced same issue few months back. After filling water the temperature will not rise. But drive it for sometime and then the water will start evaporating through the leak and the temperature will rise. Replacement radiator costs 3500 approx from a company called avia. Don't try m seal etc to plug the leak as they don't hold and you might be stranded somewhere due to it when it comes off.
Is there any chance that the coolant may have evaporated even if there is no leak?
I don't recall the service center people charging me for coolant ...
Old 8th October 2012, 16:08   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is there any chance that the coolant may have evaporated even if there is no leak?
I don't recall the service center people charging me for coolant ...
I dont think that the coolant can evaporate that easily.

Fill up the radiator with water and drive around in your area till you see the Temp needle go to normal. Then you can try revving a bit, thats where the pressure increases and if you have a leakage, then the hot water starts leaking out as steam from the radiator and subsequently your Temp needle will move up. i had checked it the same way.

I had major leakage on the top part of the radiator and a very small one at the bottom. I filled in water and went for a drive early morning. Could cover 10 kms under normal driving with RPMs at below 2k. Did some redlining and within seconds could hear the hissing sound (steam) and the temp needle go up. Parked the car and opened the bonnet to see the steam coming out from the leaks. MSeal also doesnt work hence i went for replacement.

Replacement is peace of mind.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 18:17   #1210
BHPian

may sound like a bit but within the boundaries of the thread!

I got my Car serviced at Kumar Sports in Coimbatore... my best mod till now is the FFE that he did for me. Great performance and super lowend sound, i wanted something that wasn't too noisy yet did the magic when needed...
My FE has gone up from 13km to 15km per Lt !! i thought it was supposed to drop!
any 1st Gen OHC user who neededs info on this please get intouch with me.
attaching a pic of the headers... maynot 'look' too good but does way beyond its looks...
Old 10th October 2012, 18:39   #1211
BHPian

the pic didn't attach the first time.. here is the pic of the headers
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-1.jpg  

Last edited by johnda : 10th October 2012 at 18:40.
Old 11th October 2012, 21:54   #1212
BHPian

I had installed a free-flow on my car from Raj Hingorani, and all was well until I recently got back home after a long vacation. It seems a local mechanic had done some welding work on the straight tube under the car and on the exhaust. Now the car is much more silent, but I lost mileage from 11 to 9.

Could it be due to the welds, should I change my FFE?
Old 12th October 2012, 08:17   #1213
BHPian

di1in, you are from thrisur? if your drive to coimbatore you can take it to kumar, pm me and i'll give you his contact.. you may have to change your tube and end can if they are damaged. also 9km as FE is low.
My headers look a lot better now, the pic i uploaded was taken when i went to collect the car.
Old 12th October 2012, 17:58   #1214
BHPian

Yesterday, my OHC got stuck in water, the engine stalled and I had to push it out of water. Initially the car refused to start but after like 10-15 minutes, it started fine and I drove it and parked it overnight in my office indoor parking lot. Today evening a few minutes after i had started from my office in my car, i suddenly saw small amount of smoke coming from the speedometer area and there was a burning smell - i immediately pulled over to the side and switched off everything. Sensing something might be wrong, I took a risk and drove it back to my office. Did the water do some damage? Is something shorted? What should i be doing now?
Old 12th October 2012, 21:34   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
di1in, you are from thrisur? if your drive to coimbatore you can take it to kumar, pm me and i'll give you his contact.. you may have to change your tube and end can if they are damaged. also 9km as FE is low.
My headers look a lot better now, the pic i uploaded was taken when i went to collect the car.
Yea, am from Thrissur. I am planning on bringing the ride to Bangy, and contemplating getting a new free flow from Raj himself.. his FFEs have a note that I am addicted too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
Yesterday, my OHC got stuck in water, the engine stalled and I had to push it out of water. Initially the car refused to start but after like 10-15 minutes, it started fine and I drove it and parked it overnight in my office indoor parking lot. Today evening a few minutes after i had started from my office in my car, i suddenly saw small amount of smoke coming from the speedometer area and there was a burning smell - i immediately pulled over to the side and switched off everything. Sensing something might be wrong, I took a risk and drove it back to my office. Did the water do some damage? Is something shorted? What should i be doing now?
It might be serious, suggest you take it right to the mechanic, or Honda.

Last edited by di1in : 12th October 2012 at 21:35.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks