Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:39   #1231
BHPian

I don't know if this helps everyone but I did this and it worked. Previously I use to park my car facing the wall, and the rat/rhodent infestation was huge. Sice I started reverse parking it has not only reduced but not a sign of them.
jayeshdamle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:44   #1232
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Pls spread camphor tablets inside engine bay,near wiper motor,battery,cng kit,struts nuts,inside car spread them below seats....
Old 4th July 2017, 01:23   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
... ... ... inside car spread them below seats....
It may not be a good idea to keep camphor in the cabin: it may be bad for your health!
Old 4th July 2017, 01:38   #1234
BHPian

I have been using this spray repellent from Autoshine since 4-5 years now with satisfactory results. You can check it out at noratsincar.com . Effective if used as directed and one can lasts for about two years for me. Bigger cars might need more liberal dosage.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 12:00   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Thanks for sharing about this product. This finally helped. I sprayed a decent amount in my Swift engine bay and the menace which was happening for the past few months has gone, well at least for now
I see the signs of rats in engine bay of my car recently. I feel their activity increases during monsoon season - may be looking for a shelter ?
Though you have already shared your feedback on this product, I would like to know long term review, if it helped keep the rodents away ?
I see mixed reviews on Amazon and got bit confused reading the negative reviews which say "no use at all".
Old 6th July 2017, 13:07   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
I see the signs of rats in engine bay of my car recently. I feel their activity increases during monsoon season - may be looking for a shelter ?
Though you have already shared your feedback on this product, I would like to know long term review, if it helped keep the rodents away ?
I see mixed reviews on Amazon and got bit confused reading the negative reviews which say "no use at all".
I can confirm, the issue never repeated for me after using this product. I spray a reasonable amount in the engine bay and also in the wheel well. I have seen mixed reviews of the product on Amazon as well. May be they are not applying it properly or there might be rodents who have learned their way around this kind of products I do recommend giving it a shot however
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 13:15   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I have been using this spray repellent from Autoshine since 4-5 years now with satisfactory results. You can check it out at noratsincar.com . Effective if used as directed and one can lasts for about two years for me. Bigger cars might need more liberal dosage.
Website not available, but I'll check again in a few days. Is this available on other websites like Amazon, Flipkart etc?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 6th July 2017, 15:17   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Website not available, but I'll check again in a few days. Is this available on other websites like Amazon, Flipkart etc?

Cheers,
Vikram
Yes site is down. Check your pm. There is another way...
Old 9th July 2017, 20:18   #1239
BHPian

Terrano sound damper burnt? Edit - rat damage more likely

Today, I opened my Nissan Terrano bonnet to top up the wiper fluid and was greeted by this

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-terranobonnetinside.jpeg

I think it is the sound damping thing. A closer inspection revealed that the black layer had burnt off, exposing the yellow rockwool(?) inside. I took off the remaining flaky pieces.

Initially I thought some clamp or something has come loose. Closer inspection proved that to be false.

Some questions
  1. If nothing seems to be loose what caused this problem
  2. How much worried should I be? Is this something thats normal?
  3. Can this thing catch fire? I mean its sitting right on top of the engine
  4. Should I bother replacing?
  5. If yes, OEM or after market? I am even willing to do a DIY if it is safe Hehe
Old 9th July 2017, 20:42   #1240
BHPian

re: Terrano sound damper burnt? Edit - rat damage more likely

Heat from the engine bay could be the likely culprit but it's unlikely that it would burn the black foam.
Make sure if the dampening foam hasn't been touching any parts of the engine or the engine bay as contact with any hot metal is likely to burn the foam/rubber.

The other likely culprit would be rats!
Stationary cars becomes their temporary habitat during the rainy season.

Don't bother replacing it unless it's coming off badly i.e dangling above the engine bay, in which case a new one would need to be glued in its place. It's unlikely to catch fire as well. A new one from the authorized service centres would cost a couple of hundred bucks including installation charges.

Last edited by Skyline_GT : 9th July 2017 at 20:47.
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 22:33   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Today, I opened my Nissan Terrano bonnet to top up the wiper fluid and was greeted by this

Attachment 1655621

I think it is the sound damping thing. A closer inspection revealed that the black layer had burnt off, exposing the yellow rockwool(?) inside. I took off the remaining flaky pieces.
]
I dont think that's burnt but is rather chewed by rats. Thats not a material that can burn due to heat. The sound deadener is heat resistant and can only burn like that due to an open flame. If there were an open flame in the engine bay then it would have caused more damage. It is rather a rat problem. Get your engine bay washed and the sound deadener can be replaced. If the engine bay is cleaned regularly or dressed the smell of the chemicals deters the rats.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 22:38   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

This underbonnet insulation costs about 6,000 rupees if replaced with Nissan OEM spare. It looks like a rat menace to me.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th July 2017 at 22:39.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 23:35   #1243
Team-BHP Support

I agree with others. This is rat damage and not heat. This is heat resistant. The pattern clearly looks like rats, else the yellow would have become black and caught fire. The material is supposed to be fire retardant.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 09:12   #1244
BANNED

Re: Terrano sound damper burnt? Edit - rat damage more likely

As Vid6639 had pointed out, it is more a rat going frenzy rather then fire/hear causing it.

Please check and clean the engine bay area as rat's would have littered the place with this material. Don't want it to get stuck in any moving part.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:55   #1245
BHPian

Re: Terrano sound damper burnt? Edit - rat damage more likely

Thank you everyone!
Apparently, "rat" never even entered my mind when I saw the damage. Duh!
On further introspection and closer inspection, it seems to be the obvious answer. The edges aren't burnt.

Hunted around for a remedy, and as expected there is a running thread already on TBHP. Studying it now
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-rats-83.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks