Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 10:23   #181
BHPian

Re: HID Xenon

I could see some scattering(glare) on the photos posted which might blind the oncoming traffic .In city this might not be a big issue as there are street lights. But in dark highways with curves, HID's has the potential to kill the oncoming traffic.
Its better to use a projector anyways as I have read that however good the beam appears , there can be lots of scattering with HID on normal reflectors.
Manufactures could have saved a lot by avoiding projectors and using normal reflectors ,But they aren't why?
Old 16th August 2011, 10:33   #182
Senior - BHPian

I will be contacting theretrorides today. Smokin on the forum. To see what he has to offer me art projectors
Old 16th August 2011, 10:39   #183
BHPian

Sounds good.Is it theretrofitsource ? I have also finalized on HID's as 130's burnt my stock lenses.Now running on crappy OEM candle lights. But have 2 problems
1) Flashing will be lost.
2) No one to carry the stuff from US for the next 3-4 months.

Last edited by bullboy : 16th August 2011 at 10:51.
Old 16th August 2011, 11:43   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I will be contacting theretrorides today. Smokin on the forum. To see what he has to offer me art projectors
ummm, what is that, like art leather??
By the by, im waiting for you to get it right and be staisfied with your lighting solution, so ill have my SOP....
Old 16th August 2011, 19:24   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Sounds good.Is it theretrofitsource ? I have also finalized on HID's as 130's burnt my stock lenses.Now running on crappy OEM candle lights. But have 2 problems
1) Flashing will be lost.
2) No one to carry the stuff from US for the next 3-4 months.
If you have a dual lamp setup (like mine) then you can go in for an HID only in the lower beam and keep 'ye old halogens in the high beam.
If you don't have a dual lamp setup, you need a bixenon set for your car; check eBay. There are some that ship directly to your doorstep in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
ummm, what is that, like art leather??
By the by, im waiting for you to get it right and be staisfied with your lighting solution, so ill have my SOP....
LOL. Typed from my phone hence the gaff.
Anyway, I am quite satisfied. In fact, more than satisfied with this lighting solution and I already recommend it to people. I am going to try asking someone to drive in front of me and towards me, and ask if there is glare. If there isn't, then I rest my case for the time being.
If it is, then I think about the projector route again.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:30   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

This might help you. Projector kit for Fiesta, but this is for the old gen. Looks like you have the new model.
Attached Thumbnails
HID Xenon-image.aspx.jpg  

HID Xenon-mediummxs009dualprojectorhead1303972639.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 10:55   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This might help you. Projector kit for Fiesta, but this is for the old gen. Looks like you have the new model.

price and availability sir?

I have and old gen...

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I think they quoted around 15k. It's from mxsmotosport.com

@Frank - Sorry for the typo in the PM. It's not retro rides.
I see 4 projectors.
15k is for the whole setup????

Last edited by mayankk : 17th August 2011 at 11:03.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:00   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
price and availability sir?

I have and old gen...
I think they quoted around 15k. It's from mxsmotosport.com

@Frank - Sorry for the typo in the PM. It's not retro rides.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:11   #189
BHPian

Quote:
If you have a dual lamp setup (like mine) then you can go in for an HID only in the lower beam and keep 'ye old halogens in the high beam.
If you don't have a dual lamp setup, you need a bixenon set for your car; check eBay. There are some that ship directly to your doorstep in India.
Its a poor TWO eyed Ikon not four. So Bixenon is the only choice.
Ebay . Hmm!! .Not sure how reliable are these kits and how genuine their claims are.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:53   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Its a poor TWO eyed Ikon not four. So Bixenon is the only choice.
Ebay . Hmm!! .Not sure how reliable are these kits and how genuine their claims are.
Rightly said, do not buy online anything other than branded, else you may repent, especially the Chinese items as there's no standardization in QC for these after market fitments. Its better to have a touch & feel experience after a demo. A cheap HID projector performance is worse than a OE halogen spread. There are lot of cheap Chinese items flooding here, bi-xen projectors are available from 6K onwards but when it comes to reality, its crap and would turn out to be a waste of hard earned money.
Old 10th October 2013, 20:44   #191
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for projector lamps for new ford fiesta (2012 model). Where can i get it in Bangalore?

I see the european fiesta Mk7 comes with projector headlights. Can we import it and fix it here? Is it available with local dealer here? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Prakash.
Old 11th October 2013, 21:23   #192
BHPian

You could contact Smokin, a member of the forum. He operates a firm known as The Retro Rides. They specialize in lighting and wrapping/detailing. He will be happy to help you and even give you the contacts for the local dealer/courier you.
You can also check their facebook page!

Cheers!
Old 9th April 2014, 15:35   #193
BHPian

One noobie question mates. I've noticed that the HID kit has quite a set up with the ballast, wiring, fuses etc. Where are all of them placed under the hood (left loose, or what)?
Old 10th October 2014, 22:40   #194
BHPian

Iam currently running with 100/130 H4 Phillips Hallogen in my Scorpio and looking for much better lightning. My most of the drives will be on the night and on highways. Hence Iam planning either for a Hella 3003 Ralle Aux lamps between the headlights or go for a HID Kit.
One of the dealer in Bangalore has suggested me to go for Quaden 4300K 35W HID kit, this kit comes with two Ballaster's and costs 9k. (Osram - 10K and Phillips 12k). Note Iam not going for Projectors, it will be a Plug and play with my stock reflectors.

I could not find any info in google regarding Quaden HID kit, please throw your suggestions if anybody has heard of this brand and what will be my best options here.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:52   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Rightly said, do not buy online anything other than branded, else you may repent, especially the Chinese items as there's no standardization in QC for these after market fitments. Its better to have a touch & feel experience after a demo. A cheap HID projector performance is worse than a OE halogen spread. There are lot of cheap Chinese items flooding here, bi-xen projectors are available from 6K onwards but when it comes to reality, its crap and would turn out to be a waste of hard earned money.
I'm using one of those cheap Chinese HID kit on my Honda Unicorn bike since 5 years. I did not even need to change the ballast since installation. The ballast change interval was clearly told to me as every 2 years but its still running fine.

Also, I'm using a P8 HID Xenon on Tata Nano. Don't know if its Chinese but I'm assuming its imported from China and sold in India at a premium (forgive me if I'm wrong). Its running perfectly fine since 2012.

I'm not vouching for chinese goods as good quality, but a HID Xenon with ballast whether chinese or european performs nearly the same at 35W. So, if some one is looking at a low budget setup, I feel its fine to go for it with the biggest risk being of it conking off leaving you stranded in the night. Its never happened to me but then even European ones will fail the same way.

The ballast of these HID's is based on arrays of capacitors which discharge thousands of volts at startup to get the light up and running. Though the lights will serve you well, the ballasts whether chinese or european are bound to fail in 2-4 years depending on quality and usage. Usage meaning how many times you used the start-up light function. Using it twice-thrice in a short-interval not recommended as the ballast needs time to recharge again. My two cents from modding my bike during college days to HID by reading a huge deal on HID's, re-winding the alternator, changing full bike electricals including rectifier with a 9Ah battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks