Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 21:10   #121
BHPian

Has anyone tried upgrading their HID lamps and retain the existing ballast? I was wondering if I can replace the 35W HID Lamp with a 50W module. My gut says that it should work since HIDS work along the basic principles of the fluorescent tube lights used at home. The ballast doesn't seem to care if we put in an upgraded lamp. I know cause I have some ubercool blacklights installed

But would it ring true for automotive HIDs?

Tassem.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:24   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my ride running on 4300k HID's on Projectors.
Attached Thumbnails
HID Xenon-low.jpg  

HID Xenon-high.jpg  

HID Xenon-low-.jpg  

HID Xenon-high-.jpg  

Old 5th August 2010, 10:12   #123
BHPian

Superb light throw naveen. I have seen some of these HIDs on my friend's car. I some-how feel that this amount of intensity of light might blind the on comming vehicles.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:43   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Has anyone tried upgrading their HID lamps and retain the existing ballast? I was wondering if I can replace the 35W HID Lamp with a 50W module. My gut says that it should work since HIDS work along the basic principles of the fluorescent tube lights used at home. The ballast doesn't seem to care if we put in an upgraded lamp. I know cause I have some ubercool blacklights installed

Tassem.
As per the manufacturer’s instruction, we should not swap the ballast with different ratings as it can damage the bulb, it may work for some time but the ballast will be over powering the bulb in case of 55W ballast for a 35W HID bulb, so the life span will also get affected. You can have a pair of ballast for not more than 1.2K.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:30   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Superb light throw naveen. I have seen some of these HIDs on my friend's car. I some-how feel that this amount of intensity of light might blind the on comming vehicles.
Thanks dude. Yes, in a way, it will blind oncoming traffic. But since I use projector, this wont badly affect others. The light throw will be projected unlike scattering found in normal stock headlights.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:37   #126
BHPian

Thanks dude. My only concern about upgrading to HID was blinding the oncomming traffic. Let me try to get a quote for the projecter.

i10's stock blubs are bad. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to drive with such bad OE fitted lamps.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:51   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks dude. My only concern about upgrading to HID was blinding the oncomming traffic. Let me try to get a quote for the projecter.

i10's stock blubs are bad. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to drive with such bad OE fitted lamps.
Hey, projectors for i10 is currently available. You can check them out.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:38   #128
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2010 at 10:21.
yogisays0909 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th September 2010, 13:12   #129
BHPian

recently one of the xenon lamp of my right side skoda's headlamp is not working. The left one is working fine but the right one is not working at all. What could be the possible culprit, the HID lamp or the ballast??
I dont want to take it to skoda so looking for options outside. Any suggestions guys?
Old 9th September 2010, 13:27   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
recently one of the xenon lamp of my right side skoda's headlamp is not working. The left one is working fine but the right one is not working at all. What could be the possible culprit, the HID lamp or the ballast??
I dont want to take it to skoda so looking for options outside. Any suggestions guys?
Few reasons it can go wrong, like a blown fuse or broken wire or as you mentioned ballast or even the bulb can be faulty. Its better to take to a good auto electrical servicing centre for the diagnosis as the HID has to be checked with a substitute bulb/ballast to identify the faulty component.
Old 19th October 2010, 19:45   #131
BHPian

Can anyone tell me where in Bangalore I can get beam correction done for HIDs.
I need to convert LHD beam (_/_/) to RHD (\_\_).
Also I may need to align the beam vertically down bit.
HID projector kit is the usual Taiwan stuff that we get on ebay.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:04   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Hey, projectors for i10 is currently available. You can check them out.
Hi Naveen,

Can you please let me know avg. cost for installing good HID with projector for my i10.

Regards,
Camon
Old 19th October 2010, 20:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Tassem.
It should be done the other way round, i.e., 55W ballast with 35W HID capsule. Done this way the life of the HID capsule goes down, but it will yield more light. Using 55W HID capsule on 35W ballast does not yield more light. Btw, afaik the only good 50W capsule available is the Philips DL50 and its not widely available.

Another point: When the HID capsule is over driven the colour temperature drops, 6000k might look like 4000 etc. Life span decreases but still it'll be a lot more than a regular halogen bulb, life may reduce to 2000/2500hrs from the nornal 3000/3200 hours.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:59   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
Hi Naveen,

Can you please let me know avg. cost for installing good HID with projector for my i10.

Regards,
Camon
totally depends on budget ! two ways
1) get the entire headlamp assembly for i10 that have projectors fitted and hid . more expensive . more convenient .
2) retro fit projectors in your existing headlamps . you can choose from wide variety of projectors like from Hella / other aftermarket makers and can also use branded HID kits like philips / osram/ hella . cheapest ones with hid can be retrofitted for under rs 6600 while good quality projectors with good output and chinese hid kit will cost approx 8000-8500 .

always try to test the projectors output on road as they may look very good with angel eyes and etc but if they cant throw good light on road it serves no purpose .

+1to what sarkar said

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 19th October 2010 at 21:00.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:05   #135
Senior - BHPian

@camon:If retrofitting/buying projector headlamps make sure its RHD type. If you end up with the wrong type it can make life harder for you and for the oncoming traffic. And remember to get projector with good quality optics from known or certified manufacturers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks