Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 08:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

What's a projector?
And cars that come with factory fitted xenon HIDs - like Laura, do they have projectors?

The Skoda dealer said the xenon headlight on Laura costs 44K. This was in response to my question of how much will I have to pay if I have to replace the headlights on Laura...

Not sure if he was talking of one headlight or 2...
Old 23rd October 2007, 08:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Please modify/remove these adult pictures from your posts.
ONCE would have been enough to make the point, but I see that these are going on and on, making quite a different point!
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's a projector?
And cars that come with factory fitted xenon HIDs - like Laura, do they have projectors?

The Skoda dealer said the xenon headlight on Laura costs 44K. This was in response to my question of how much will I have to pay if I have to replace the headlights on Laura...

Not sure if he was talking of one headlight or 2...
the laura does have projectors. when he told you 44k i sthink it was for 2 headlights and including the xenon lamps.
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

So does that mean Laura headlights are illegal?
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:53   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So does that mean Laura headlights are illegal?
nope. no one said xenons are illegal.
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Yes? I guess it's considered illegal without Projectors! Looks like i'll have to drop this idea! If only the Projector market would improve in India or custom made Projectors available on request from a reputed dealer (or) person.

cya
A

Can someone throw some light on the legal aspects of xenons with and without projectors?

BTW, what is a projector?
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone throw some light on the legal aspects of xenons with and without projectors?

BTW, what is a projector?
look at your laura headlights. you wont see a reflector but youll see a lens sort of thing. that is the projector.

the projector helps in focusing it onto the roads better. without the projectors the xenons might not focus properly and will blind the other traffic due to their birghtness. this depends from car to car as their reflector design in different.
for example in my innova the xenons focus just as well as normal bulbs and do not blind other traffic.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Akshay.
This was real good explanation.

BTW, how much your Innova xenons cost?
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay.
This was real good explanation.

BTW, how much your Innova xenons cost?
i got mine on ebay for $200 incl shipping.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:30   #25
BHPian

I thinks HIDs have been discussed in detail in another thread. I've used 3 types of HID kits (out of the 4 available) and seen countless chinese and taiwanese makes.

Please dont fall for bosch or any other name brands for such low price. They are all fakes (pretty convincingly packaged). They are all made in china and marketed by different OEM names.

These kits are the cheapest in SE Asia and in India it should be 8k max (for a pair of Single HID with ballast or a few hundreds more for HID low beam and Halogen high (available in H4 only AFAIK).

If you can afford them and want the best quality get philips (original ones) or japanese/korean made kits. This should be around the 15k+ price mark in India.
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

HIDs come in two variants - single beam and dual beam. The dual beam is a motorised HID. A small motor at the base of the bulb rotates the filament to give you low and high beams..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
aZa, what does motorised mean for HIDs? Does it refer to the starter?

Thanks
A
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:12   #27
BHPian

I have HID's in my esteem for 3-4 months now. It is BOSCH 8000K HID, has 2 ballasts, High and Low beam and costed me around 7000 including fitting and all.

Light throw and illumination is good.
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Notorious,

Please read through very carefully before spending any money.

I fitted HIDs on my 1964 Fiat Super Select when I conducted a ground-up restoration on it early this year. The kit is from Hella of Germany. The kit cost me 400 US$ and I brought it with me from Dubai. The kit consists of 2 ballasts (which convert 12v to 28000 v), also are equipped with 2 motors which move the so-called "bulb" to shift it's focal length to provide high / low beams. As high voltage is involved, adherence to fitment standards provided by Hella is mandatory.

The performance is as follows:

On a dark road with no opposite traffic - excellent white light illuminates the road perfectly. It is the best headlight I have ever driven.

On a dark road with opposite traffic - this is important - you will have to supplement these lights with normal halogens otherwise there is too much diffusion and you will not be able to see the road (this is supposed to be like this only). If you are not going to supplement these lights with normal halogens, PLEASE DO NOT FIT XENONS.

Quality standards - I saw everything, including all fakes. Only Hella of Germany is worth it. A lot of duplicates of Hella are also floating around so be careful. Don't waste your money on fakes.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:22   #29
BHPian

A friend of mine wanted me to pick up an HID kit for a santro .. the size would be H4 itself right? with high and low together? what size would the santro fogs lamp bulbs be?
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:06   #30
aZa
Senior - BHPian

H4 is for Headlamps and i think its H7 or H3 for fogs and this is for the XING

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks