Old 24th October 2007, 04:30   #31
BHPian

yea its a Xing .. thanks aZa ..
Old 24th October 2007, 09:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The performance is as follows:

On a dark road with no opposite traffic - excellent white light illuminates the road perfectly. It is the best headlight I have ever driven.

On a dark road with opposite traffic - this is important - you will have to supplement these lights with normal halogens otherwise there is too much diffusion and you will not be able to see the road (this is supposed to be like this only). If you are not going to supplement these lights with normal halogens, PLEASE DO NOT FIT XENONS.

Behram!! HID on a 1964 Fiat!!

OK,... few more things I would like to add in...

First very nice of you to have spent money and to have chosen a HID kit from a very reputed manufacturer, then good to see you advice against xenon HIDs on reflective housings.

Please let us know if you are using the original fresnel kind of lens or a retro fit / fabricated clear lens?

This will explain the excessive dispersion in your point 2)

In Point 1) it is just throwing a lot of more light that you might have seen through that 1964's windscreen, hence you think the road ahead is bright. It is but very highly dispersed in case of a Fresnel lens being used.

Moreover, the Ballasts do not convert 12V to 28000V!!!!
They do only a boost up to 28000V for a fraction of a second to ignite the metal halide in the HID bulb.

The disadvantage of using a HID bulb in a casing or reflector meant for a Halogen lamp is that the focal point can never be perfect.

The reason is that a Halogen lamps' filament is built perpendicular to the direction of light travel and the filament or point of light source in a HID bulb is parellel to the direction of light travel.

This explains the extra useless dispersion while fitting a HID in a reflective casing meant for halogens.

Why dont you try a retro-fit with a good projector like TSX? lots available on eBay US.

Whatever, your 1964 Fiat must be beaming with glee i nthe night. yeah??!!!

Last edited by gbpscars : 24th October 2007 at 09:59.
Old 24th October 2007, 13:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear gbpscars,

It is nice to recieve your communication and read it because you know what you are saying. Yes I am using the normal lens due to non-availability of anything else upto now but I am soon going to lay my hands on a round Korean made lens "supposed to be suitable for HID" (whatever that means). The cost is very high but I will try them out on my 1964 Fiat MRY3112 (fully restored to new condition early this year - you can see the car's photographs posted on Team BHP by my son Cyrus43) and then see the performance. Even with the incorrect lens, as long as there is no car coming from the other side, the road gets illuminated so well that I can drive faster than I would normally drive in the night (full night driving happens to be my passion and all my cars have very good headlights). You can see my post in the Automobile Lighting thread.

Best regards to you,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th October 2007, 15:13   #34
BHPian

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
Moreover, the Ballasts do not convert 12V to 28000V!!!!
They do only a boost up to 28000V for a fraction of a second to ignite the metal halide in the HID bulb.
Thanx sir for the information. i have inquired about the xenon's from a local dealer, he is giving me BOSCH hid's with both high and low beams, 8000k at rs 6650 (Without fitting) and with 6 months warrenty.if my friend agreed to install them , then i will post some pics of install.

Thanx to all for your help and Specially tsk1979 sir and aZa sir for telling me that other then philips, BOSCH is also availabe in market at this price
Old 24th October 2007, 15:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
It is nice to recieve your communication and read it because you know what you are saying.
Thanks Dhabar, but I was just sharing my knowledge on my passionate subject - Optic Physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
8000k at rs 6650
NOTORIOUS, please make it a point to read these 2 posts of mine earlier in the massive auto lighting thread. will help you a bit to decide about your light temperature choice....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post381303

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post382108

If you want more light on the road choose only between 4600K and 6000K. The higher ones are just to add "bling" value. Those posts can help you surely.

Last edited by gbpscars : 24th October 2007 at 15:30.
Old 24th October 2007, 16:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Thanx sir for the information. i have inquired about the xenon's from a local dealer, he is giving me BOSCH hid's with both high and low beams, 8000k at rs 6650 (Without fitting) and with 6 months warrenty.if my friend agreed to install them , then i will post some pics of install.

Thanx to all for your help and Specially tsk1979 sir and aZa sir for telling me that other then philips, BOSCH is also availabe in market at this price
NOTORIOUS - dont get 8000k. get 6000k. it is brighter than 8000k.

the higher the colour temperature(k) the less the birghtness and the more the bluishness/purpleness. im assuming you want hids also because of the white light. with 4300k (the birghtest) it will be almost yellow. therefore i suggest you get 6000k which is slightly less bright than 4300k but still has a nice white colour.
Old 25th October 2007, 18:52   #37
BHPian

Bosch HID are available for around 6.5 to 7K in Mumbai
Old 25th October 2007, 19:10   #38
BHPian

Thanx akshay1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
NOTORIOUS - dont get 8000k. get 6000k. it is brighter than 8000k.The higher the colour temperature(k) the less the birghtness and the more the bluishness/purpleness. im assuming you want hids also because of the white light. with 4300k (the birghtest) it will be almost yellow. therefore i suggest you get 6000k which is slightly less bright than 4300k but still has a nice white colour.
Ok Sir , thanx for the information .I will keep that in my mind while making the purchase and tell him (my friend) the same, as the decision is depend on him.
Old 25th October 2007, 19:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Bosch HID are available for around 6.5 to 7K in Mumbai
Veerey See This Post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post602730
Old 25th October 2007, 19:48   #40

Hi All,

Please clarify my silly doubt, is there any effect in visibility with the WHITE LIGHT HALOGEN BULBS, H4 TYPE 100/90W when driving in heavyrains ?
Old 25th May 2008, 23:20   #41
BHPian

Hi guys,
bought an Optra Magnum Diesel last month and found the headlamps grossly inadequate. I want to fit HID's in it but i'm not sure of the following
1. The size. is it H7? or H4? Its just a single bulb now as opposed to the old optra that had 2 bulbs.
2. How can we ensure that the fittment is good? Fried wiring is something i really cant afford!.
3. Whats all this talk of getting halogens to supplement the HID's? I've seen cars with HID's on both high beam and low beam. Could someone throw light on this?(metaphorically speaking of course)
Old 25th May 2008, 23:24   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshansarma View Post
Hi guys,
bought an Optra Magnum Diesel last month and found the headlamps grossly inadequate. I want to fit HID's in it but i'm not sure of the following
1. The size. is it H7? or H4? Its just a single bulb now as opposed to the old optra that had 2 bulbs.
2. How can we ensure that the fittment is good? Fried wiring is something i really cant afford!.
3. Whats all this talk of getting halogens to supplement the HID's? I've seen cars with HID's on both high beam and low beam. Could someone throw light on this?(metaphorically speaking of course)
1 - best to check your car manual. if its one bulb then it would most probably be h4.

2 - you just have to go to a reputed car accessory shop and they would do a good fitment.

3 - in cars which have a different bulb for low and high beam it makes more sense to get halogens for high beam. we use high beam alot for flashing the person in front. HIDs take a few seconds to warm up whereas halogens emit light instantly.

hope my answers were satisfactory.
Old 25th May 2008, 23:58   #43
BHPian

i have been searching the markets for HIDs and so far im pretty confused.
most of the stuff that is available appears to be fake chinese rip-offs. the Bosch xenons that are most popular are ultra-fake. u can just see the logo on the packaging. that tells the story.

moreover, there is one guy in karol bagh, new delhi, now this is a big distributor of car accessories, Ashoka "something", that claims to have "Genuine" Bosch HIDs with lifetime warranty? now an H7 pair for my Palio was quoted for 7.5k? i must say the packaging did look convincing but im quite unsure of the credibility of his words. any delhi-ite wanna help me out on this one?

also please suggest an installing setup for the palio. since i dont own, like, a royal kingdom or something, i cannot afford to go for 3 pairs of HIDs to dress up my car. i am thinking of a single pair just to improve the throw of the beam, now, would you suggest a :
i. LOW BEAM - HIDs ; HIGH BEAM - HALOGENS
or
ii. LOW BEAM - Halogens ; HIGH BEAM - HIDs?

which setup would work better?
Old 26th May 2008, 00:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

low beam xenon and high beam halogens.
Old 26th May 2008, 00:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

@ Sudarshansarma - Optra Magnum uses H4 bulbs. But, without a projector setup, HIDs won't be very effective. Plus, you run the risk of blinding on coming traffic. I'm getting 100/90 bulbs for my Magnum soon.
On the other hand, I've been using 6000K HIDs in my other car for about an year now. I'm moderately happy with the setup. And, I don't blind on coming traffic. But, the result is not worth the 8k I spent.
@ Amitverma - Low - HIDs (if you must). High - Halogens. 6k to 7k is a decent price me thinks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks