Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 18:48   #466
BHPian

[quote=SRShrikanth;1499983]Since I had the AC thermostat checked only 2K kms ago as part of regular service and importantly am not noticing any drop in cooling degrees, am ruling this one out of contention for the moment. Thanx for info though, as i can now keep a check going forward.

Hi ,
the thermostat conks off any time so even if u'd check it 2000km back , it be a goner for all u know. And the thing is the the system 'll continue to cool rather well , but the thermostat fails to reset once the prescribed low temp. is achieved.
So it may be possible for the problem to manifest with a failing / weakened thermostat , even though the cooling is optimium.
I did check the engine mountings & EGR before deciding on the ac system to be plausible culprit.
And the problem would occur at around the same RPM as you mentioned and it'll be worse in neck to neck traffic in hot weather and not perceptible at speed.
So if the mounts are not so bad , do look at the EGR & then the AC thermostat ;probly in that order.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:23   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
it may be possible for the problem to manifest with a failing / weakened thermostat , even though the cooling is optimium.
I did check the engine mountings & EGR before deciding on the ac system to be plausible culprit.
And the problem would occur at around the same RPM as you mentioned and it'll be worse in neck to neck traffic in hot weather and not perceptible at speed.
So if the mounts are not so bad , do look at the EGR & then the AC thermostat ;probly in that order.
Hey Highnoon,

Clearly those are words of experience and i shall pay due importance during this check up at TASS.

Cheers mate.
Old 20th October 2009, 22:49   #468
BHPian

guys, need some help.

two weeks back had gone to concorde hosur rd to get the lower arm bushes tightened. the job was done, but on the way back, started hearing a faint sound coming from the rear left wheel. its hard to describe the sound - its more like as though the rear left wheel is rubbing against some part .. sorta faint hissing sound. funny thing is that the sound is not very loud and can be heard at speeds above 30-40 kmph only. upon slowing and nearing a complete stop, the sound cannot be heard. i have checked the tires for any uneven wear, but they seem to be fine.

i took the car over to concorde mysore rd coupla days back and checked with the SA. the sound was audible to him as well and he simply dismissed it off as a possible issue with the balancing. the car was raised up on the ramp (?) and free wheel movement was checked, but nothing could be found amiss.
anybody come across this issue before? the alignment and balancing is due this month, but it would be helpful if some hints are provided by anyone here in the forum, cos the sound is getting a bit irritating!

TIA!
Old 21st October 2009, 10:39   #469
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
guys, need some help.

two weeks back had gone to concorde hosur rd to get the lower arm bushes tightened. the job was done, but on the way back, started hearing a faint sound coming from the rear left wheel. its hard to describe the sound - its more like as though the rear left wheel is rubbing against some part .. sorta faint hissing sound. funny thing is that the sound is not very loud and can be heard at speeds above 30-40 kmph only. upon slowing and nearing a complete stop, the sound cannot be heard. i have checked the tires for any uneven wear, but they seem to be fine.

i took the car over to concorde mysore rd coupla days back and checked with the SA. the sound was audible to him as well and he simply dismissed it off as a possible issue with the balancing. the car was raised up on the ramp (?) and free wheel movement was checked, but nothing could be found amiss.
anybody come across this issue before? the alignment and balancing is due this month, but it would be helpful if some hints are provided by anyone here in the forum, cos the sound is getting a bit irritating!

TIA!
Does the sound increase with speed? if it does it may be the bearings, did you get them checked?
Old 21st October 2009, 10:47   #470
Team-BHP Support

Check if the brake liners are touching the rear brake drum. Light touch will not impinge on wheel movement, and make slight sound
Old 21st October 2009, 11:31   #471
BHPian

yes, the sound increases with speed. i still havent got the bearings checked - planning to go this week for another check, will do it then.
thanks - will post further progress on it.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:09   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Check if the brake liners are touching the rear brake drum. Light touch will not impinge on wheel movement, and make slight sound
hmm, i did mention to the SA to check the brake liners - but then since the sound was rather faint, he chose to ignore that as well! this time i'll make sure i spare enough time and sort this out.
thanks for this hint!
Old 21st October 2009, 20:37   #473
Senior - BHPian

My Indica diesel is making tractor like sound .Is this piston slapping or tappet/valve setting issue?It was overhauled and completed some 4000kms after that with oil changed and tuning adjusted at 2000kms.
Old 24th October 2009, 13:24   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Does the sound increase with speed? if it does it may be the bearings, did you get them checked?
managed to get the ph no of the mechanic who used to check my car in concorde hosur rd. Spoke to him and explained the issue - he too said its the bearings that seem have weakened.
What are the impacts of driving with weakened rear wheel bearings? even the next week looks tough for me to go n get it changed.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:53   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
My Indica diesel is making tractor like sound .Is this piston slapping or tappet/valve setting issue?It was overhauled and completed some 4000kms after that with oil changed and tuning adjusted at 2000kms.
Guess the alternator belt idler needs to be readjusted.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:57   #476
Senior - BHPian

My indica turbo is suffering from a distinct lack of 'whoosh' these days. At near 2000 rpm, under heavy acceleration / inclines/other conditions when the engine is loaded, there is a distinct vibration coming from the hood, and the turbo effect is not as pronounced as it was earlier. Now the car has trouble going above 80kmph - which otherwise would have been the part where the turbo would only be starting with its magic.

I'm becoming very frustrated with my highway runs these days. The max i could manage flat out on a wide open highway was 110.

Any pointers on what could be wrong ?

I have followed the turbo idling procedure religiously so far

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th October 2009 at 11:04.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:00   #477
Team-BHP Support

Either your turbo has suffered partial failure, or there is an issue with fuel delivery system. Do you feel jerks and erratic idle too? If so, the system could be taking in air through O-Ring. Check the engine bay for diesel leakages etc.,
Old 29th October 2009, 11:06   #478
Senior - BHPian

jerks at lower rpms have always been there, but above 1200 rpm, the engine response is smooth.The idle surging issue is sporadic - happens now and then with the AC on - I was told by the service guy that it happens if the sensors get clogged/there is some dirt etc, and they would take a look at it if and when it became reproducible ( I could not show it to them then). Nope, no leakages. One of the nuts on the head was leaking - tightened it a few thousand kms back. Noticed that coolant was very low - the tank was empty except for a bit of fluid at the bottom - got that topped up.

Just got my car out of the workshop after 2 months worth of accident repairs, so I dont want to give it back right away

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th October 2009 at 11:12.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:55   #479
Senior - BHPian

Mine Indica V2 DLE:

My Indica's Tractor Sound's reason is Fuel Pump tuning.Workshop people said fuel pump is tuned a little "advanced"(can't get the proper meaning).

My Indica really mimicks a tata 407 truck the way it climbs hills with "push-pull" effect as well as in engine noise .Push-Pull like feeling can be either due to clutch interfering or Loosen Engine Mount?
with A/C ,the Lack of power is very much felt.Immediately ,after service of nozzles ,Car was pulling fine.Again ,sluggishness is coming back.Any Idea what can be the reason?

Last edited by deepclutch : 29th October 2009 at 14:12.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:06   #480
BHPian

@ greenhorn

I feel the EGR valve needs some attention. your turbo is still under the extended warranty; right? It should take care of the problem; even if the turbo is found dying..

But I dont think the turbo is facing a failure if you were cleaning the air-filter personally periodically.

Trust me right until this July for a period of 2 yrs I would drive my turbo in the 3500 - 4000 rpm range every gear for about 90% of the time i had her; and as per the service center, "..revving past 3000 kms constantly would result in a turbo failure within a 1000 - 2000 kms of use..".

2 yrs with 45,118 kms; she was still running strong with that beautiful torque without a performance problem.

As for the vibrations, it would be the engine mounts. even i was facing vibration issues..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks