Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 16:01   #316
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
This does not happen when the AC is off. Without AC ON, The car would keep slowing & then stall. TASS says every indica behaves this way, which I feel is crap as the car did not have this problem for the first 3 years
The surge could happen if the compressor comes on at that time resulting in the FICD action of increasing the RPM from the idle one. Can't think of anything else.
Old 25th April 2009, 16:31   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
The surge could happen if the compressor comes on at that time resulting in the FICD action of increasing the RPM from the idle one. Can't think of anything else.
The problem is only when the compressor is on and while I am applying break till the car reaches stalling speed.
Old 27th April 2009, 19:23   #318
Senior - BHPian

Hi Junniaga,

Quote:
Originally Posted by junniaga View Post
acoustic dampener: seems interesting but can i have some pictures as the TATA stations here sure wouldnt have any idea that such thing exists
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
It comes fitted in the DLX version. Could not find any images so far.
Sorry.
I don't know whether you are still interested, but I found an image. This is a doc file with the image.

Engine cover.doc

Regards,
Old 27th April 2009, 19:35   #319
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica - List of problems-cover.jpg
is this what you guys are talking about ? got it off my user manual

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th April 2009 at 19:36.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:12   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
If the fan was ON permanantly, while the engine was heating up more and more, i would agree with the mechanic. But, here, if I understood right, the fan is OFF when the temp guage moves over the 50% mark - when it should normally have triggered ON.
If that is indeed the case, there is no way an engine repair can help in my opinion. Other experts can comment...
Yes, you got it right. This problem finally got resolved by again replacing the Thermostat switch. This time I replaced it with Minda make switch and it seems that it switch on the radiator fan at lower temps as a result of which AC is not tripping as temp needle always stays below half.

Thanks !
Old 28th April 2009, 12:09   #321
Team-BHP Support

Do this experiment.
Short the fan so that its always on and drive around and watch temp guage. If car does not overheat, it means that the fan is not starting on time.
This means the switch is faulty.
Thermostat switch should not keep blowing like this, unless there is some fault in the circuit. Do you also get frequent headlight bulb blow outs?
If so, check the alternator voltage. It may be spiking and messing up with electronic components.
In car with ECU usually the check engine light would warn of such problems, but in our vintage indica's its a little hard to diagnose.
Another problem could be blockage in coolant flow. If the coolant flow is not proper, it may not heat evenly, so you may have the temp guage and thermostat getting different readings.
For that take off the yellow cap(indica does not have separate radiator cap) and crank the engine. Water should gush out.
If it does not, its either some kind of blockage, or problem with water pump(extremely rare)
Old 29th April 2009, 09:12   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do this experiment.
Short the fan so that its always on and drive around and watch temp guage. If car does not overheat, it means that the fan is not starting on time.
This means the switch is faulty.
Thermostat switch should not keep blowing like this, unless there is some fault in the circuit. Do you also get frequent headlight bulb blow outs?
If so, check the alternator voltage. It may be spiking and messing up with electronic components.
In car with ECU usually the check engine light would warn of such problems, but in our vintage indica's its a little hard to diagnose.
Another problem could be blockage in coolant flow. If the coolant flow is not proper, it may not heat evenly, so you may have the temp guage and thermostat getting different readings.
For that take off the yellow cap(indica does not have separate radiator cap) and crank the engine. Water should gush out.
If it does not, its either some kind of blockage, or problem with water pump(extremely rare)
Hi Tanveer,
Thanks for your advice. As I mentioned in my first post that Fan was getting on but only after temp needle reaching 20% higher from the center point, this used to result in AC tripping. Finally the problem is resolved after getting the Switch changed to Minda make as one of the electrician told me that Minda switch starts working at low temp which ensure that needle stays below half way mark. Last year also I got it replaced from the electrician in Sec-16, which was recommended by you in one of your Indica related post. As such I never had the problem of headlight blow outs, I know for sure that they have not been changed for last 2-3 years. I don't know what causes this Thermostat blow out every year but if it can be resolved by just change of this switch then I don't mind.

Thanks!
Old 29th April 2009, 10:46   #323
Team-BHP Support

So did you go to Imam? You can ask him why this switch is blowing out every ear. My last thermostat blowout switch was around 35K kms in 2004 timeframe. Its been 5 years and 75000kms after that, and the switch has not been replaced even once.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:23   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So did you go to Imam? You can ask him why this switch is blowing out every ear. My last thermostat blowout switch was around 35K kms in 2004 timeframe. Its been 5 years and 75000kms after that, and the switch has not been replaced even once.
Yes that is the person to whom I went last year. I had not asked him about the reason as He was pretty busy at that time. My office is in Sec-58, so I don't get much time to go to him during week days and I stay in Janak Puri so is not possible on weekends

I shall try to find some good electrician in my locality who should be able to identify the rootcause.
Old 29th April 2009, 13:30   #325
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I guess we were talking about that only!
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:40   #326

2004 Indica DLX, done 45,000 kms has some problems. Visiting TASC several times has not resolved these problems. Looking for suggestions from people with Indica experience:

1. Very poor pickup when the engine heats up. Pickup is managable (still little on the lower side) when the engine is cold. I can clearly experience the pick up going bad when the temperature indicator needle starts going towards middle mark. Radiator fan kicks in when the needle hits middle mark and the temp needle comes down towards left and the pickup improves. This whole poor pickup problem gets worse when the traffic starts crawling in a traffic jam. Car almost becomes undrivable after 15-20 mins of crawling in the jam. Poor pickup problem of this car has long history. This poor pickup problem started within 1.5 years of this car's life. Pandit auto in Pune got the diesel pump serviced under warranty. Everything ran perfectly for 1.5 years after that. Then the problem started again. BU Bhandari (Wakdewadi) Pune detected some bent fuel hose to be the problem. Replaced it and it was running fine for another 1.5 years. Now for quite some time I have this problem again. BU Bhandari Pune failed to fix the problem. Concorde Bangalore also failed to fix the problem.

2. Some weird shuddering of whole car at some speeds. Stock tyres were worn out at 35,000 kms and the steel rims were deformed slightly. Both TASC and road side mechanics suggested this problem may be because of bad tyres or the rims. Then I switched to alloys (Neo) and tubeless tyres (B250). This body shuddering starts as a mild shaking of car at low speed itself - at around 30 kmph or so. Gets worse between 60-65kmph - I feel as if whole car is going to fall apart. This problem dies down at speeds beyond 70kmph. Don't know whether it shows up again at a higher speed because I do not drive beyond 80-90kmph (don't have enough courage to risk my life on this Tata elephant). This is becoming a problem because I have tried wheel balancing 3-4 times in last 6 months - no use. After every balancing session I feel it is better. But the problem persists at a small scale immediately after balancing and progressively gets worse after around 1000 kms. Rims do not seem to be the problem. Do you suspect tyre runout? Suspension? Any other rotating mass that can go out of balance? Do you know some place in Pune where this can be fixed?

Any pointers to what may be wrong (rather, how to guide TASC guys to look in the right direction) is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:34   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviH View Post
2004 Indica DLX, done 45,000 kms has some problems. Visiting TASC several times has not resolved these problems. Looking for suggestions from people with Indica experience:

1. Very poor pickup when the engine heats up. Pickup is managable (still little on the lower side) when the engine is cold. I can clearly experience the pick up going bad when the temperature indicator needle starts going towards middle mark. Radiator fan kicks in when the needle hits middle mark and the temp needle comes down towards left and the pickup improves. This whole poor pickup problem gets worse when the traffic starts crawling in a traffic jam. Car almost becomes undrivable after 15-20 mins of crawling in the jam. Poor pickup problem of this car has long history. This poor pickup problem started within 1.5 years of this car's life. Pandit auto in Pune got the diesel pump serviced under warranty. Everything ran perfectly for 1.5 years after that. Then the problem started again. BU Bhandari (Wakdewadi) Pune detected some bent fuel hose to be the problem. Replaced it and it was running fine for another 1.5 years. Now for quite some time I have this problem again. BU Bhandari Pune failed to fix the problem. Concorde Bangalore also failed to fix the problem.

2. Some weird shuddering of whole car at some speeds. Stock tyres were worn out at 35,000 kms and the steel rims were deformed slightly. Both TASC and road side mechanics suggested this problem may be because of bad tyres or the rims. Then I switched to alloys (Neo) and tubeless tyres (B250). This body shuddering starts as a mild shaking of car at low speed itself - at around 30 kmph or so. Gets worse between 60-65kmph - I feel as if whole car is going to fall apart. This problem dies down at speeds beyond 70kmph. Don't know whether it shows up again at a higher speed because I do not drive beyond 80-90kmph (don't have enough courage to risk my life on this Tata elephant). This is becoming a problem because I have tried wheel balancing 3-4 times in last 6 months - no use. After every balancing session I feel it is better. But the problem persists at a small scale immediately after balancing and progressively gets worse after around 1000 kms. Rims do not seem to be the problem. Do you suspect tyre runout? Suspension? Any other rotating mass that can go out of balance? Do you know some place in Pune where this can be fixed?

Any pointers to what may be wrong (rather, how to guide TASC guys to look in the right direction) is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ravi,
Are you in Bangalore or pune ?
Old 4th May 2009, 14:20   #328
BHPian

Should the temperature needle should start coming down ( toward left) when the radiator fan on ?

In my Indigo in this Delhi Summer this needle remain at center only once reached there . I feel the start of radiator fan too in between (Vibration increase inside the cabin ) . but this needle never cross the center mark toward right .

is this normal ?
Old 4th May 2009, 18:38   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Ravi,
Are you in Bangalore or pune ?
I live in Pune. I had driven to Bangalore last month - that is when I had got the car serviced from Concorde motors.
Old 4th May 2009, 18:50   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by virender View Post
Should the temperature needle should start coming down ( toward left) when the radiator fan on ?

In my Indigo in this Delhi Summer this needle remain at center only once reached there . I feel the start of radiator fan too in between (Vibration increase inside the cabin ) . but this needle never cross the center mark toward right .

is this normal ?
I believe it is normal. This is how it works - temperature needle starts moving up as the engine temperature increases. At some point of time radiator fan starts and brings down the temperature. Temp needle should start moving towards left. Fan stops when the temperature goes down and the temperature starts rising again - making the needle move towards center mark. Cycle repeats making the temp needle move towards center mark and slightly down and back to center again.

Temp needle not crossing center mark is good - because needle beyond center mark indicates tendency to overheat. Red marked area is overheat - do not wait for it to hit red mark. Run to service station if you see your temp needle crossing center mark!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks