Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:07   #166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
TSK, I guess I could do with an advice from you. Others also provide some ideas if you can.

Actually there are two problems here. Heres the first. My AC at idle has been acting up for a while. It can not restart on its own if it cuts off. Of course everything becomes ok once the car starts running again. So basically the rev is not going up. TSK knows this problem. Its been on for a while now, just that I can not afford to keep the car with TASS for a day or 2 everytime a problem crops up. This being not a showstopper it is kind of remained till date. But am thinking of getting it sorted out in this service, either from TAS or else from outside.
This could be due to 3 things
1. Faulty cutout
2. FICP switch(500rs approx)
3. Potentiometer(I doubt this one).
Go outside, it does not make sense to go to TASC when warranty is over
Quote:
The second problem is a new appearance in my car since the last 3-4 days. Of late the car is showing tremendous allergy to get started in the morning. I am suspecting that a couple of glowplugs would have gone kaput. Lately even though I fire the glowplugs 3-4 times in the morning before I actually try to start the car still shudders and the battery gives up momentarily. However in second attempt it does start up.

Once the car has started and has run a couple of kms it starts alright. Even if I park it at basement 2 parking of my office (dark and cold) the whole day after a drive it still starts pretty ok in the evening. Its only the morning start that gives the problem.

Does it sound like a glowplug problem or could it be the starter problem? I suspect glowplugs because the car starts fine once fired up. By the way the car has a brand new battery.
It is a gloplug problem. Your car has just couple of them blown, not all 4, hence this issue.
Next time, take hot water(70 degree C) and pour it on injectors just before starting the car. You will see an instant start.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:19   #167
Team-BHP Support

Oh cool! So that wretched FICP switch is 500 bucks? Is that Tata OEM price or the open market price? Are you aware of the OEM make? I was kind of wondering as the potentiometer was 3200 bucks which is damned costly for such a small peanut sized thing (ok, walnut sized... ).

Also, the glowplugs... I believe I will have to change all the 4 right? Whats the cost for these? As usual the TASS has thrown in their usual bait when I told them that I may need a glowplug change. They immediately said it may be the starter motor and not the glowplugs and they need to check. This, even though I told them that the starter problem can not manifest itself selectively only in the morning.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:00   #168
Senior - BHPian

Hi Zappo,

> So basically the rev is not going up. Latest is the FICP switch

Take a look at the following:

Yahoo! Groups

> I am suspecting that a couple of glowplugs would have gone kaput.

Take a look at the following:

Yahoo! Groups

Hope this helps.
Old 5th November 2008, 01:51   #169
Team-BHP Support

Thanks trrk for the pointers. I guess we more or less zeroed in on to the problems correctly in both cases. I will ask these guys to check the FICD switch (somehow I always end up calling it FICP). The diaphragm is a good thing to check though. Will see. Till then I am putting with a high idle RPM. This helps the AC to fire up even in idle. Not a good solution but nonetheless it works.

In case of the start-up problem I am pretty sure its a couple of glowplugs which are the culprits. This problem only shows up every morning when the engine is completely cold after the overnight stop. Rest of the time during the day it starts without a fuss. It has to be a faulty glowplug. And I am not surprised. The way these nuts handle the cars in the service stations its only a matter of time before the glowplugs blow up. They never seem to wait for the plugs to go off before cranking. Normally you will expect them to know better.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th November 2008 at 01:53.
Old 7th November 2008, 08:51   #170
BHPian

Need help - Indica DLS Problems

hi
I have a 2005 Indica V2 DLS. Before I quote the problems here, would like to inform you that the car was once fully submerged in water during floods. The water came in from the windows. As we could not start the car, took it to a mechanic who removed the top bolts from the engine and cranked the engine - water splashed from within the engine, changed air filter and all was set.

Current Problems:
1. From day one, the clutch seems very tight. It gets released with a jerk. Also, there is some noise when the foot is 'just' placed on the clutch pedal. Local mechanic says bearing needs ot be changed - costs Rs 180 + entire clutch assembly needs to be removed. Cannot loose/tighten any cable, no such option in Indica?

2. Jerks in 2nd and 3rd gear around 1500-1800 rpm.

3. Major Issue - In 4th gear above 80 kmph, the car kind of pulls back instead of letting it go freely. The same issue persists in 5th gear above 120 kmph. The exhaust is all clean.

Would really appreciate your help, Thanks.

Last edited by zzzehar : 7th November 2008 at 08:54.
Old 8th November 2008, 01:58   #171
BHPian

Anobody who can suggest a few things before TATA rips me off?
Old 8th November 2008, 08:33   #172
Senior - BHPian

It does appear to be clutch related issues.
Get the clutch, pressure plate, bearings etc.. renewed and things should be back to pre-drowning days!
It'll cost you much less to get this done from a good garage rather than Tata Service.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:31   #173
Senior - BHPian

Hi zzzehar,

> 1. From day one, the clutch seems very tight. It gets released with a jerk. > Also, there is some noise when the foot is 'just' placed on the clutch pedal.

It is a cable operated clutch and has adjustments. When things are normal, the brake and clutch pedal are at the same height. With use, the clutch pedal rises above the brake pedal level and can be adjusted to the correct height.

But the 'sound', if it is a screeching sort of sound, points to the clutch release bearing. Since it involves a dismantling of the clutch, it would be wise to check the innards and change them too if found less than in ideal condition.

> 3. Major Issue - In 4th gear above 80 kmph, the car kind of pulls back
> instead of letting it go freely. The same issue persists in 5th gear above
> 120 kmph. The exhaust is all clean.
> 2. Jerks in 2nd and 3rd gear around 1500-1800 rpm.

In issue no.3 does the RPM rise more than the speed increase when you press the accelerator or is it just a loss of pickup? If it is the former it could be the clutch, if the latter could be your Fuel Injection Pump (FIP).

Issue no 2 on its own could be cured by a FIP reclaibration at a Lucas TVS centre.

You have not mentioned how much your car has run.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:53   #174
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Indica has hydraulic clutch, its old fashion cable operated. So do the settings first.

ALso get the fuel pump checked along with injectors.
Old 9th November 2008, 12:51   #175
BHPian

You must be joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
Anobody who can suggest a few things before TATA rips me off?

The moment you bought an Indica the TATA's ripped you off.
Coming to the problems you faced.
1)Clutch plate, release bearing and finger needs replacement.
2)Fuel injection pump needs caliberration.
3)If your car was submerged its best to sell it off at what ever price you get for it.
4)The clutch of the Indica is cable operated and is easily adjusted for free play by any roadside mechanic.
If I had the option to sell my Junkindica I would have done so long ago but the consumer case is still dragging on in the court.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 9th November 2008 at 12:53.
Old 9th November 2008, 13:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

1) Clutch is not set properly. Is there some amount of free play ? If the clutch is not slipping, then setting alone will do the job.

2 and 3 ) The fuel injector pump and/or injectors needs attention. Change pump and clean injectors. This will complete the job.

Just a query : Did you say the water splashed out of engine i.e. water was inside the engine ?
Old 10th November 2008, 22:37   #177
BHPian

Is it advisable to go for engine flush (1st time) at 75K in my 2004 DLS ? If i get it done, what kind of improvements should i expect and is it worth the risk ?
Old 11th November 2008, 11:54   #178
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Thanks trrk for the pointers.
Missed this earlier! Sorry.

Quote:
The way these nuts handle the cars in the service stations its only a matter of time before the glowplugs blow up. They never seem to wait for the plugs to go off before cranking. Normally you will expect them to know better.
Well, it can't be that. These things do go bad even under normal use. The manufacturer has to live, shouldn't he?

I am sure you would be waiting for the glow plug indicator to go off before you start. But once the glow plugs are checked and corrected, wait for 10 seconds after the glow plug warning goes off before starting. Your starting should be quicker. The circuit does keep the plug on for 10 seconds after the warning is off.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:37   #179
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aditya,

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Is it advisable to go for engine flush (1st time) at 75K in my 2004 DLS ? If i get it done, what kind of improvements should i expect and is it worth the risk ?
Please check these messages:

Yahoo! Groups
Yahoo! Groups
Yahoo! Groups

The info is sure to help you.
Old 19th November 2008, 09:51   #180
BHPian

Engine not Cranking

Last Night my INDICA XETA ( 7500 kms, 8 months) did not CRANK. After trying so hard & checking with Corncorde Helpline, I managed to get my friends push the car & start it.

Today the Tata Motors guys are coming home to pick up the vehicle.

Any suggestion as what could be the problem? Will the be warranty is any parts are to be changed or should I bear the cost?

Regards
Marlon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks