Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 18:12   #46
BHPian

Height Problems

This isnt exactly a problem with the Indica but i'll post it in this thread anyway.

Im 6' 2" tall and I find the drivers seat a bit too cramped, even with the seat pushed all the way back.
It is quite difficult to move my left foot off the clutch and i have to keep my foot flexed in order to avoid riding the clutch. This works for short trips but I get severe pain after long drives.

Is there a way to increase the travel so that i can push the seat further back ?
Old 28th November 2007, 18:30   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Is there a way to increase the travel so that i can push the seat further back ?
Sure, you can cut the back seat so you can push the driver seat all the way back till the boot

Jokes apart, there is nothing much you can do. Alternatives are you choose a more spacious car, wear slightly less chunkier boots ( this does make a good difference for comfortable clutch operation, speaking from exp as i am 6ft 1in tall myself)
Old 16th December 2007, 22:30   #48
BHPian

The 'check engine' light comes on at RPMs above 2000 in my DLG (1700 K on the odo). Occasionally there's also a grinding noise at high RPMs.

Any ideas guys ?
Old 16th December 2007, 22:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

hey u need a to over haul the starter motor and use a bigger bat, it common on idicas ,that the starter won't take the load of a warm engine. thing is even if change the bat , it'll work for few month but later the same problem comes around, bosch bats work fine and fit in the existing fitting.
As for the black smoke it's again common with engines with 75000 km, on them.
Get the engine decarbonised , your both the second and third, problems will be reduced if not eliminated.

these things are common with indicas, dude do not worry, there is solution to all the problem now and in the future.
Old 22nd December 2007, 22:55   #50
BHPian

Turned out to be a faulty 'crank assembly sensor' was reparied by TASC under warranty.

Quote:
The 'check engine' light comes on at RPMs above 2000 in my DLG (1700 K on the odo). Occasionally there's also a grinding noise at high RPMs.

Any ideas guys ?
Old 30th December 2007, 22:39   #51

Hi All,
My indica DLG Nov.2005 has done 89000Kms. Never had any trouble.Recently I encountered the Hot Start problem. on even cold mornings the car started at first go, however after a drive of 10 mins or more it refused to churn the self or it did with difficulty. A few time heater sometimes did the trick.
the battery dealer asked it needed a new battery. a couple of electricians did ask for self repair or replacement. Went to Tata Dealer and they charged Rs150 for self service and its almost a week and the car has cranked in one go in cold and hot engine state.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Ok.... update time.

I recently got one of the glow plugs changed, (of the four one was faulty). It was Behr (i think) costed me around 280/- but the problem doesn't seem to go completely. I started the car after 2 days and it didn't. Then I did the ignition trick, i.e. let the heater sign go off, switched off the ignition and repeated. The car started, but I suspect the problem is somewhere else. Anything??
Old 4th January 2008, 18:40   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Turned out to be a faulty 'crank assembly sensor' was reparied by TASC under warranty.
I am a bit skeptical of these TASC guys. Many of them hide their incompetencies by blaming the very tools that are there to help them. Its very easy to blame the sensor and then repair/replace it (could be just that they even disconnected it). It is entirely possible that the sensor was trying to tell something else altogether that the nincompoop failed to understand.

Why I said this? For two reasons...
* A failed sensor cause those grinding noises from the engine at high RPMs? Sounds kiddish to me!
* There have been similar cases in the past and one of the guys once told me about a case where his friend got suspcious of the whole idea of failed sensor and took some cross-opinions from other TASCs in the city. Everyone had a different opinion! Ultimately he approached the regional Tata guys I guess and there engineers intervened to get the problem correctly sorted out.

EDIT: panky, you sure that only one glowplug had gone kaput? it is very much possible that another one has gone phutt. also check that the battery has enough juices left to make a cold start.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th January 2008 at 18:50.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

thanks zappo.... i opened the bonnet yesterday to check the battery, realized that there are bubbles coming out of the cell - top (plastic wala dhakkan) where we pour the battery water. When i tried to open one of those, it was with some pressure that the water starting coming out.
I went to a battery wala, he checked and said that the cells were OK but weak and its high time to get the battery changed. I switched on to amaron and all's well.
Old 13th January 2008, 11:05   #55
BHPian

What should I do now? The problem has disappeared after the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am a bit skeptical of these TASC guys. Many of them hide their incompetencies by blaming the very tools that are there to help them. Its very easy to blame the sensor and then repair/replace it (could be just that they even disconnected it). It is entirely possible that the sensor was trying to tell something else altogether that the nincompoop failed to understand.

Why I said this? For two reasons...
* A failed sensor cause those grinding noises from the engine at high RPMs? Sounds kiddish to me!
* There have been similar cases in the past and one of the guys once told me about a case where his friend got suspcious of the whole idea of failed sensor and took some cross-opinions from other TASCs in the city. Everyone had a different opinion! Ultimately he approached the regional Tata guys I guess and there engineers intervened to get the problem correctly sorted out.
Old 12th February 2008, 14:42   #56
BHPian

Warm Start problem

My indica 2004 DLS 68K on the odo occasionally has trouble starting. Usually the problem occurs when the car is warm. It never happens in the mornings. I had the TASC guys check my battery and glow plugs but no problem was found.
The starter was overhauled a few months ago for the same problem but it returned sometime later.

Any ideas guys ?
Old 12th February 2008, 15:03   #57
Team-BHP Support

Check Engine Light in 6 month old Xeta

My sister's car had been sitting idle for the past 15-20 days due to unavailability of a driver. So one day I went to start the car and saw that the check engine light had stayed on after starting the car. sometimes it was blinking like some loose connection. took it to the service centre where the mechanic tightened a few things and the light had gone off. this guy had no clue as to what might have happened and said that these things are quite common and one should not worry about it . the best part was that the educated service advisor also told the same thing. but I insisted a lot and tried to get an answer from them. So they asked me to keep the car for the entire day and they would get back with some results. so in the evening while taking delivery of the car they told me that it was due to loose oxygen sensor.
but the problem cropped up again while returning from the service centre. the light is blinking sometimes and sometimes going off. I am totally confused and hope to give these guys a good thrashing the next time I take the car there.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:54   #58
BHPian

Before you start thrashing...! I suggest ask them to hook up the Laptop to diagnose what the check engine error is, At times the check engine stays on or starts blinking and might even go away in a fugitive state-which can be attributed to either loose coupler or faulty connection somewhere----If it stays on,it has to be a fault.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:53   #59
BHPian

tsk? anyone else ?

I need info urgently because im reluctant to go to TASC now. Should i go there again or to a roadside mechanic ?

Quote:
My indica 2004 DLS 68K on the odo occasionally has trouble starting. Usually the problem occurs when the car is warm. It never happens in the mornings. I had the TASC guys check my battery and glow plugs but no problem was found.
The starter was overhauled a few months ago for the same problem but it returned sometime later.

Any ideas guys ?

Last edited by adityamunshi : 13th February 2008 at 16:54.
Old 13th February 2008, 18:00   #60
Team-BHP Support

What kind of trouble your car has? The Starter motor refuses to turn when warm, or the starter motor turns the engine, or starter motor turns but it appears that its rotating free?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks