Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 15:18   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Now I inflated the pressure to 36 psi and the scraping is marginally better. Is there any harm in having 41 psi as I see the tyres have max pressure of 51 psi mentioned on them. Will it damage them ?

Please let me know what are the issues if I go for 41 psi, as it seems to solve my Ground clearance issues. Thanks
Please desist from using such high air pressure in your Civic's tyres. It will absolutely kill the suspension bits.

I use between 30 and 32 psi in my tyres. These days (winter) I fill up to 30 psi after around 3.4 kms of driving (at around 8 pm). Come summer I want to buy an air pump so I can ensure 30 psi at cold start.

Navigating bumps on a Civic is an art which you'll soon master, even with 30 psi. The trick is to slow down to an absolute crawl (3 kmph or slower) and take bumps at as large an angle as possible (traffic/road width permitting). On a recent 1670 km trip with 4 adults and the trunk full of luggage my Civic successfully navigated some real mountainous speed-breakers without scraping them even once. However, I've managed to scrape mild speed-breakers with minimal load (only me) by flying over the 'breakers at 15 - 20 kmph and taking them straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rr-zen: I have also seen 40-42psi when the car comes back from service!!!
This is news! Thanks for the tip, Professor. I would've thought Honda service personnel would know their cars. But after having seem their ways over the past few months this (albeit news) isn't surprising either.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th January 2011, 16:47   #1217
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Okay, here's a question for the Civic S variant owners. I found the stock seats of my friend's '07 S-AT very soft, compared to the leather ones in my V-MT. The difference in compound firmness is substantial.

Dude just returned from a Goa-Mumbai drive and was crying of how his butt pains. Apparently, his wife and another occupant (who sat on the front passenger seat for 6 hours each) complained of the same.

We all know that firm seats are better for long drives, but are the S-variant's so soft that they lead to severe discomfort after long drives? His family has sworn never to use the Civic for long drives again.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:12   #1218
Senior - BHPian

@GTO - I have the S MT. From my travel logs, you can understand how much my family travels with me in our civvy. The seats are soft, but not to the extent that, I had got a feedback about it from my kids or wifey. But, the angle of the rear seats sometimes were referred to.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:22   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Okay, here's a question for the Civic S variant owners. I found the stock seats of my friend's '07 S-AT very soft, compared to the leather ones in my V-MT. The difference in compound firmness is substantial.

Dude just returned from a Goa-Mumbai drive and was crying of how his butt pains. Apparently, his wife and another occupant (who sat on the front passenger seat for 6 hours each) complained of the same.

We all know that firm seats are better for long drives, but are the S-variant's so soft that they lead to severe discomfort after long drives? His family has sworn never to use the Civic for long drives again.
I did a long drive (~700km) and back after a week in Sept 2010 and did not have any discomfort on the butt. The neck and the lower back did pain, and had to resort to Volini, but the butt was absolutely fine.

Do you think that the S has a softer foam compared to the V? Or that the difference is brought in by the leather? Am shopping around for leather seats, and don't want to make the seats any harder. In fact I still miss the soft, hugging seats of the Optra.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:41   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup GTO your right.The seats are way too soft compared to our relative's V.We will be upgrading to Stanley soon after the OEM fabric becomes a little dirty.Some times I regret telling dad to buy an S and spend the remaining money on getting the stuff from outside.
Old 4th January 2011, 21:58   #1221
BHPian

Yes the compound of the seats in V and S model are different as confirmed by the SA of Linkway Honda.

A question to all how much fuel efficiency should one expect out of a AT Civic in Mumbai traffic?

is the mileage of 6.5-7kmpl normal?
Old 4th January 2011, 22:21   #1222
Senior - BHPian

^^
FE is very much dependent on driving style. In Bangalore B2B traffic I manage to get about 10-11 kmpl with judicious usage of paddles in S mode. If I put in D mode and dont use paddles, then it drops by another 1-2 kmpl.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:34   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Mileage with the SMT in Bangalore have never dipped below 11kmpl till now. But on highways I manage an 8, you know how
Old 4th January 2011, 22:42   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Mileage with the SMT in Bangalore have never dipped below 11kmpl till now. But on highways I manage an 8, you know how
. In fact I tried very hard to bring it to single digit in my last weeks trip to Kerala. But it refused to go below 11.3 kmpl even after some very aggressive driving on NH7 and Kumily ghat roads. I had some good company of a fast driven Laura on the way back. May be, I am yet to fully discover the power of this car!
Old 5th January 2011, 10:49   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Yes the compound of the seats in V and S model are different as confirmed by the SA of Linkway Honda.
Did they give you any reason as to why it is so? Is it to keep the leather covers tight over the foam?
Quote:
A question to all how much fuel efficiency should one expect out of a AT Civic in Mumbai traffic?

is the mileage of 6.5-7kmpl normal?
Should depend on the traffic. I manage 8kmpl on "city" runs with each trip lasting less than 4kms. My 1.6 Optra manual used to give me the same mileage. Not bad for a 1.8 AT, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
. In fact I tried very hard to bring it to single digit in my last weeks trip to Kerala. But it refused to go below 11.3 kmpl even after some very aggressive driving on NH7 and Kumily ghat roads. I had some good company of a fast driven Laura on the way back. May be, I am yet to fully discover the power of this car!
Civic AT has ridiculously tall gears. So it would be tough to achieve single digit figures on highways.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:54   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven total 38K and in this a lot of long trips between noida- chd , noida - jaipur few of them are in some smaller village in rajasthan and return with in a day.
Never had any issue with the butt but it is always heavy on my neck.
I am not sure if I have a sitting problem or some setting with steering, But I always keep steeling at lowest position on both tilt and telescope.

My wife sits in back seat with my kid and she never complaint, it is always with me and that too with my neck only.
I am using wodden beans cover on driving seat it has helped a lot in summer and normally as well.
Old 5th January 2011, 20:01   #1227
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the responses regarding the tyre pressure for my civic. I am a lot more enlightened now. So i will not use 41 psi from now.

Right now its at 36 psi is it a good one ?. I know 30-32 psi is recommended, but is 36 psi within sane limits ?.

I feel so sorry to hear my car scraping my parking entrance slope everytime. Thanks
Old 5th January 2011, 21:08   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Theres one guy who has been posting about hypermiling with his civic in this very thread. I kind of remember he also used such high psis. If he is reading, he'd probably give you an update. For me personally, limit is 32.
Old 5th January 2011, 21:23   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Theres one guy who has been posting about hypermiling with his civic in this very thread. I kind of remember he also used such high psis. If he is reading, he'd probably give you an update. For me personally, limit is 32.
Thats my limit too. If I remember right, Honda recommended tyre pressure is 30. However, when I switched over to Michelin PLC, I was asked to maintain a max of 32 psi. Ever since, all four tyres are inflated with nitrogen to 32 while the spare is inflated to 34.
Old 5th January 2011, 22:51   #1230
BHPian

my choice is also 32 psi. I have gone upto 34 for heavy loads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks