Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2011, 13:47   #1261
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
No. If you want electronically adjusting the dampeners then go for EDFC, else you can manually adjust them.
I called up red roosters last week to enquire about the TEIN suspension and was told that the setup with elecronic 16 settings will cost about 90k and the manual one will cost 70k.

The package for new air intake and FFE will cost about 40k. And finally a package with new ECU, turbo (garrett), intercooler etc etc will cost about 2.5 lac rupees.
Old 16th January 2011, 18:52   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query on GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Well, in a way, yes. I am currently on vacation at Qatar. The Civic's I see here are all shod with 16 inch alloys(Pic attached).
This it the standard design used in the US Civic as well. They sell millions of them here and many are upsized. You'll find tons of them on ebay but I dunno if it will be worthwhile after adding shipping cost.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:59   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Try 205/65 R15 tyres, which will fit on current wheels. It increases ride height by about 7mm. Of course, it will have some impact on odo and speedo readings.
What kind of error(s) will this introduce and can they be corrected ? I changed over to Michelin Primacy LC over the weekend in the midst of a trip to Kerala from Bangalore. The ride seems to be less noiser now, and the ride feel seems to have improved.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:46   #1264
Senior - BHPian

An update on my saga from these posts.

The suspension noise persisted, albeit to a lesser degree after changing the suspension bits, so they suspected the hydraulic engine mounts and changed it under warranty. Guess what? The noise is still there.

I was supposed to give it again yesterday, but I didn't. Today, a biker banged into my front passenger side door trying to overtake me while I was taking an indicated left turn. Those of you who have followed my trials and tribulations with Honda A.S.S know the problems I've had with the matching the paint shade on my car.

I am tempted to just leave it there, but something inside me hurts when I look at that dent and scratch.

I changed the tyres a few hundred KMs ago to Apollo Accelere 205/60 R15, a proper upsize. I had hell trying to find anything decent in the Civic's stock and proper upsizes. I couldn't find anything from Yokohama, Michelin PP2s nowhere to be found and even the old favorite, the Potenza GIII was MIA. The Acceleres are a revelation though. Very little (that too a pleasant, fizzle) road noise, oodles of grip, and awesome ride comfort. They are purportedly extremely tough and become even better after a run in period of about 500KMs.

Highly underrated, high VFM, highly recommended.

Oh yeah, while I was fitting the tyres, I found out my right rear suspension is borked as well - must've happened at the incident detailed in the previous posts. An uncorrectable -3 camber has me scrambling. Godammit, can't I catch a break this year?
Old 18th January 2011, 22:50   #1265
BHPian

I am not too happy with the braking on my AT of late. Did about 30k Kms on ODO. Though there is no noise while braking or any other problem but the sting is missing when I brake. Have to brake really hard for the brakes to be effective.
Is it the pads or have the discs worn off? The SA says there is nothing wrong with them but a friends MT has much more effective brakes.
Anybody had such problems with their AT's? What will the cost of replacement of pads or discs be?
Old 19th January 2011, 00:59   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Try deglazing your pads. If you have air in your lines, bleeding might help.
Old 19th January 2011, 08:46   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Try deglazing your pads. If you have air in your lines, bleeding might help.
Didn't know that can be done, thanks for the info. Will update you.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:36   #1268
Senior - BHPian

If your brake pedal feels soggy, you should definitely get the brake lines bled.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:01   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
If your brake pedal feels soggy, you should definitely get the brake lines bled.
Thanks, will do that in a day or 2 and will give an update.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:09   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have a query on the GC. The current Civic with 195/65 R15 tyres has a GC of 170 mm.
Does the Civic with stock tyres really have 170mm GC? The Honda site does say so but it was 155mm before the Altis was launched. The City which has 160mm GC is less prone to underbelly scraping than the Civic with supposedly more GC of 170mm.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 19th January 2011 at 11:10.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:28   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Its the long wheel base which is the culprit. The spec claims 170mm.
Personally after driving the civic and being in the ANHC and Baleno - I feel both of them are equally or more prone to the belly hits than a Civic.

After a bit of getting used, and knowing how to avoid bad scrapes, this has never been a concern to me in my 65K kms with the civic.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:52   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

I was supposed to give it again yesterday, but I didn't. Today, a biker banged into my front passenger side door trying to overtake me while I was taking an indicated left turn.

Highly underrated, high VFM, highly recommended.

Oh yeah, while I was fitting the tyres, I found out my right rear suspension is borked as well - must've happened at the incident detailed in the previous posts. An uncorrectable -3 camber has me scrambling. Godammit, can't I catch a break this year?
You're not the only one buddy. I had to repair my front bumper and get it repainted at a local garage after my brother ran into a car ahead when he took it out for a ride.
The crack was very small so I could get away with the repair rather than changing the whole darn thing. It costs 8.5K at the Service center, while it could be easily had for anywhere between 4.2K to 5.5K from the after market.

How much did the tyres cost you? You mentioned about the uncorrectable camber. How'd you figure that out?
Where did you find the correct alignment and camber settings, is it mentioned somewhere in the manual?
Old 19th January 2011, 13:03   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My V AT 2010 insurance is due for renewal on 4th Feb 2011, the first year I got the Honda Assure free so there were no hassles.

Now, I have recieved a quote for 25356/- for the Honda Assure package and 17500/-from HDFC. There are a few pros to the Honda insurance like a slightly lower depreciation percentage for plastic parts and bumpers etc.
Both have the cashless facility at Honda dealerships.

Which insurance should I purchase?

Please revert with your opinions.

Thanks

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th January 2011 at 13:13. Reason: Edit - I am offered a 1000/- cashback on the Honda Assure option.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:48   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
You're not the only one buddy. I had to repair my front bumper and get it repainted at a local garage after my brother ran into a car ahead when he took it out for a ride.
The crack was very small so I could get away with the repair rather than changing the whole darn thing. It costs 8.5K at the Service center, while it could be easily had for anywhere between 4.2K to 5.5K from the after market.

How much did the tyres cost you? You mentioned about the uncorrectable camber. How'd you figure that out?
Where did you find the correct alignment and camber settings, is it mentioned somewhere in the manual?
Tyres cost me 4200/- per tyre.

Factory specs can be found online. Tyrex people showed me the current camber of the wheel. I know for a fact that camber cannot be adjusted on the Civic without adding camber bolts or camber plates in the front and a different adjustable upper control arm for the rear. So whatever camber I have, I am stuck with. -3 is wildly out of spec.

Gave the car yesterday. They said they'll try to get it done under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Guys,

My V AT 2010 insurance is due for renewal on 4th Feb 2011, the first year I got the Honda Assure free so there were no hassles.

Now, I have recieved a quote for 25356/- for the Honda Assure package and 17500/-from HDFC. There are a few pros to the Honda insurance like a slightly lower depreciation percentage for plastic parts and bumpers etc.
Both have the cashless facility at Honda dealerships.

Which insurance should I purchase?

Please revert with your opinions.

Thanks
I've used HDFC for years 2 and 3 for the car. My experience so far as been very pleasant.
Old 19th January 2011, 20:19   #1275
BHPian

1st to 5th service details here.

6th service: (15 months)
ODO: 17611km/25000km
Dealer: Magnum Honda

Problems:
* Feeble squeaking noise from left rear seat at high speeds, with 3 people at the back (was found and rectified during 2nd service)

Resolution:
* Rear seat backrest removed and refixed after taping and greasing the clips (yet to test)

* Waxoyl Motor Care treatment for engine bay

Cost: Rs. 1428/-
* Service Rs.990/-

* Waxoyl Motor Care Rs.438/-

Score: 7/10 (hoping that rear seat noise is really fixed). Would have given 8, but the rear seat and seat belts were soiled; exterior was not properly wiped (had lots of streaks)

Car care:
* Daily quick-wash + Collinite 845 every other week (I can easily say this is the king of all waxes; just amazing)

* Turtle Leather Cleaner/Polish every month

Upgrades after last service:
* 205/65/R15 CPC2 : Very good, but for a bit of noise (as expected)

* Ring XenonMax bulbs for HB/LB : Excellent, but for headlamp reflector geometry not spreading the light properly.

Last edited by mkc15 : 19th January 2011 at 20:21.

Most Viewed