Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:08   #1366
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
It's not the brake pads, it is the discs which lasted only 21k kms.

If you dont feel any shudder, get new pads and forget about the discs for the time being. Also, did you get the old pads installed on new discs?? If yes, its not advisable to do so because, the pads too wear in an uneven pattern, the same way as discs do. So if discs are uneven, the pads too are unever. New pads can go on old discs if there is no shudder, but old pads should never be used with new disc.

I go to Delhi (north/west) also if you or someone else can suggest a place.

We get our normal work done at gol market in Cannought Place. There is this guy who has been looking after our (family, friends and me) cars for over 12 years now. His current location may not be very impressive right now, but he worked for a big garage till last couple of years. If you want his location and number, feel free to PM me.

Do you know any particular shop or market in Karol Bagh who sells brake pads, please let me know.

Yes, there is a proper auto market in karol bagh. Below is the map for the same. The whole of maharana pratap road, where a red dot is marked is auto market. There are two main auto parts shops including Sahani motors and chawla motors. I normally get stuff from chawla, more jugadu person. Sahani is big and doesnt care a lot about small stuff. But still, these people can source you parts to built a new civic at home.

Maharana pratap road - auto market
NH10 - Rohtak Road, see the liberty cinema on left top.
Where NH 10 meets MM Road, right near bottom, its where Jhandewlan Mandir is.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-auto-market-karol-bagh.png

You can also get stuff from palika bhavan in netaji nagar, opposite bikaji Cama Place.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd March 2011 at 13:11.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:59   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Did anyone try the alternate DSP setting of the stock HU. This is mentioned in iTNerd's thread. It is amazing to see how much the quality of sound changes. Wonder why it is not a regular feature and one has to use factory codes to find it. The only ICE enhancement I have done on my car is to dampen the front doors with Dynamat Extreme. This has really improved matters. Now with the DSP in alternate setting, I dont think I need to change the ICE.
What is this DSP hack? Will it work on the 2006 model Civic Tried searching in his thread but could not find anything.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 3rd March 2011 at 14:07.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:11   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Please find my replies in bold
Thanks Gaurav for the detailed info and map.

I have been going to this market (Rajesh Motors) till 2002 but after that only ASCs.

I don't mind going to a trusted garage/mechanic and get the work don in front of my eyes than those ASCs. I have seen many cases of part replacement if you don't know the right person, specially if your warranty (and extended warranty) is over. Will PM you for the details.

I think, it will be a good idea to, at least, get the skimming done of the disks before putting the new pads in the front. Trying to find out a good place to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
What is this DSP hack? Will it work on the 2006 model Civic Tried searching in his thread but could not find anything.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cks-hacks.html

Unleash the BASS

i) Hold '4' & '6' buttons and press 'ON' and you will see DIAG on display
ii) Press '4' once and it would display DSP = FLAT
iii) Then now press '4' again for 5 seconds+ till you get DSP = OFF
iv) Turn off the player now and ON it !

Yes, it works in 2006 Civic.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:23   #1369
BHPian

Note that the DSP settings go back to original after you switch ignition to off. So you have to do them all over after you switch your ignition to off.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:51   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
So, my original brake pads lasted for 52500 kms? that too in an AT ? and if the SA told be at 31k kms that the brake pads have been changed at least once, who/when/where someone changed it?

Anyway that's actually good so I am happy about it.
Happy about changing part without informing and charging you???? They changed good part with faulty part and still you are happy?? You must be kidding.

IMO, get the job done from outside.
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:43   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cks-hacks.html

Unleash the BASS

i) Hold '4' & '6' buttons and press 'ON' and you will see DIAG on display
ii) Press '4' once and it would display DSP = FLAT
iii) Then now press '4' again for 5 seconds+ till you get DSP = OFF
iv) Turn off the player now and ON it !

Yes, it works in 2006 Civic.
Aha! Thanks Mukesh, sadly I will not be able to do this in my car. My HU's "4" button is gone kaput. :(

But will give it a go nonetheless.

Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:36   #1372
BHPian

@mukesh

if the brake pedal feel and brake response is normal and no shuddering or juddering is observed then why are you planning to replace or touch the brake system?

Just leave it for few more kms. then observe.
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:53   #1373
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Note that the DSP settings go back to original after you switch ignition to off. So you have to do them all over after you switch your ignition to off.
Yes thats true, but it is worth the effort every time.

Quote:
Aha! Thanks Mukesh, sadly I will not be able to do this in my car. My HU's "4" button is gone kaput. :(

But will give it a go nonetheless.

Thanks!
I hope it works for you.

You had posted earlier in this thread that you have done an Aux -in DIY. Can you kindly elaborate. I have gone through 8thcivic forum and have opened the plastic parts around the gear lever using finger nails. But could not find the Aux-in harness. Maybe American Civics have extra stuff. Did you have to open the dashboard and take out the HU? Are the Aux-in out positions same as those mentioned on the 8thcivic forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@mukesh

if the brake pedal feel and brake response is normal and no shuddering or juddering is observed then why are you planning to replace or touch the brake system?

I agree.
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:26   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@mukesh

Well, I don't mind leaving it for few more (few hundred) kms, just scared to get stranded on road.

I did Gurgaon - Delhi - Gurgaon today (approx 100 kms) and did not feel any problem. So, I think I should wait for the symptoms to appear first.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 3rd March 2011 at 22:36.
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:33   #1375
BHPian

You wont get stranded on road. Unless your brake system suffers from severe brake fluid loss due to leakage, which might not be the case for the above mentioned problems.

Be tension free for atleast 1k kms and then observe.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:20   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
By the way, what is the make and model of the Civic's stock HU? I will try out the "DSP hack" some time today.

Regards,
spadix
You should be able to do the hack on all Civic (2006 - till date)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Doesn't hold good for the Bass unleash. It will remain DSP OFF, even after ignition is switched off and then ON.
But for the other hacks, yes DSP settings go back to original after you switch ignition to off
Old 4th March 2011, 11:38   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

You had posted earlier in this thread that you have done an Aux -in DIY. Can you kindly elaborate. I have gone through 8thcivic forum and have opened the plastic parts around the gear lever using finger nails. But could not find the Aux-in harness. Maybe American Civics have extra stuff. Did you have to open the dashboard and take out the HU? Are the Aux-in out positions same as those mentioned on the 8thcivic forum.
Yes, I have done the AUX-IN DIY.
And yes, I did have to open the dashboard, get the HU out and short the wires as mentioned on 8th Civic. It is fairly straight forward.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the steps from the top of my head but its exactly as mentioned on this thread on 8thcivic.

Honda US has provided an extra cable that goes from the back of the HU (first image on the link provided) and left it dangling. We do not get that cable for in our Civics, so you will have to solder the red (right audio channel, green (left audio channel) and short 5 and 6 using a U clip.

All you need is:
1. An Aux-In cable
2. U Clip
3. Soldering iron
4. 2 hours (max) of time and preferably one more person to help.

You will need to figure out how to open the dash from 8thcivic, I do have the document somewhere on my other laptop. Will upload it later. That too is very, very easy.

I will have to open up my dash again as the Aux-In cable I used was of substandard quality. Will take pics of each step and then post back here for the benefit of all.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th March 2011 at 11:41.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2011, 12:11   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We do not get that cable for in our Civics
That sounds so foolish of Honda to give dangling cables like that, it should have been a simple Left- right Aux cable input, would have made the AUX-IN easy install.

Quote:
I do have the document somewhere on my other laptop. Will upload it later. Will take pics of each step and then post back here for the benefit of all.
Please do upload, I'm planning to have an AUX-IN for my car too.
Old 4th March 2011, 12:42   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
That sounds so foolish of Honda to give dangling cables like that, it should have been a simple Left- right Aux cable input, would have made the AUX-IN easy install.

Please do upload, I'm planning to have an AUX-IN for my car too.
It was/is foolish indeed, but then that was only for the lowest variant. For upper variants I think they did give the Aux-In connection.

Honda India went one step ahead and got rid of the cable completely and then let Alpine dealers charge anywhere to the tune of 6K INR for a simple cable. Daylight robbery.

Here's what I did.
1. Bought a cheap Aux-in cable and chopped off one end of the cable and spliced the wires (one for left channel, one for right channel and one earth).
2. Soldered the ends to a paper clips (uclips that I straightened).
3. Opened the dash. Be careful while you do this, there is only 1 screw that needs to be opened. Don't apply excessive force while pulling up the panels.
4. Removed the connectors for the ACC and Rear armrest audio control from the back of the HU. This is 20 pin connector. The pins are ordered like this: Top 1 ...... 10, bottom 11 ..... 20. You have to insert the soldered Aux-in cable to the back of this connector.
5. Now comes the tricky part, insert the soldered left channel into B13 (bottom row, 3rd hole), then soldered right channel in into B14 (bottom row, 4th hole)
6. Then I took a paper clip, made it into a U shape and jumped (Shorted?) point 5 and 6 from the bottom row.
7. Now insert the connector into the HU and press the AUX button on the HU. You should be able to see AUX displayed on the display

One point of concern, I am not sure whether I stared counting the point from the left or right. But its not such a big deal. There would be cables coming out from the back of the connector for the rear arm rest control. So you can then make a guess.

I hope I have not made it sound more complex then what it is.

If you can hold on for a couple of days, I will click pics of the steps.

Cheers
Old 4th March 2011, 14:17   #1380
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Doesn't hold good for the Bass unleash. It will remain DSP OFF, even after ignition is switched off and then ON.
What I found is, if you switch off the engine and then turn the key to ON position, the DSP still retains the new settings. But as soon as ignition occurs, i.e., you crank up the engine, DSP goes back to original setting.

Quote:
I hope I have not made it sound more complex then what it is.

If you can hold on for a couple of days, I will click pics of the steps.

Cheers
Not at all, it does sound very do-able.

Keenly waiting for the pics. It would be good to see the much-closer-to-home DIY pics.

BTW, did your "4" button work and you could access the machine codes?

Last edited by dot : 4th March 2011 at 14:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks