Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 19:11   #2026
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Mostly the engine speed and vehicle speed are given by the engine control module ecu as messages in the vehicle network. In this case your cluster ECU gets those messages and convert them to signlas for the tachometer. So I am at a loss to understand which ECU pin are you guys referring to?
Old 28th June 2011, 19:21   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I got Mobil1 from outside and had no problems. They wanted me to note that I have provided teh oil, so I wrote something like Mobil1 0W40 API-SM Full Synth provided by me. No issues after that.
Have you switched to synthetic already ? How many kms have you clocked thus far ? Also, is 0W40 a more suitable grade than 5W50 for the Civic? Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 09:27   #2028
BANNED

@rr_zen; I am only at 5k now!The original fill was synthetic (change only at 3rd service). So I went for synth. Theoretically, try and match their maximum viscosity specified. it is SAE 30. In principle a SAE40 oil will consume slightly more fuel, and an SAE50 even more so. I guess 5W50 you are mentioning is Ultra, a fine oil again. This is also fine since they allow you to go up to SAE50.

Given my low mileage I may opt for their Idemitsu 0W30 next time. Wanted a slightly thicker oil in running in. Quite a bit cheaper.

My mileage should go up once the Kanpur-Lucknow Highway (NH25 part of GQ, the first part to be started) is done. At the moment Kanpur-Unnao is a pain, and I often hire a taxi!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 10:34   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Update -
Yesterday, I Tried opening the ECU ... but that thing is so complicated to understand .. so left it as it is
Next, tried getting the signal from Distributor, The white wire with RED line is the one which produces the RPM signal, but as my RPM meter has facility for 2,3,4,5,6,8 cylinders, this gave me Double the reading even after putting in 2,4 cylider setting.
It would have worked If I had 1 cylinder setting in my RPM meter.

Next... which I never wanted to do,
Did open the dashboard...
as Laluks says, It's so easy to open the RPM console...
Opened and did try connecting with all the wired from RPM console ... My Digital RPM didn't work at all .
So put it back as it is..

Now then only option left with me is to get in touch with RACE DYNAMICS Karthik , He is the one who knows abt this ECU...
So will be going to his workshop today and let me see as how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I am thinking of installing a vtec indicator.
That would be lovely ... A Simple LED connected would be fine . Or Like a Shift Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Mostly the engine speed and vehicle speed are given by the engine control module ecu as messages in the vehicle network. In this case your cluster ECU gets those messages and convert them to signlas for the tachometer. So I am at a loss to understand which ECU pin are you guys referring to?
Right ... ECM send signals as messages and the cluster decodes them as signals. That's Y we were not able to get the output after connecting the RPM from the dashboard.

Lalu .. Please refer this thread for ECU Pins
Installing an Apexi AVCR + ECU pinouts - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Last edited by sushrutha : 29th June 2011 at 10:36.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 11:45   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Now then only option left with me is to get in touch with RACE DYNAMICS Karthik , He is the one who knows abt this ECU...
So will be going to his workshop today and let me see as how it goes.
Update - Karthik is bit busy today.. So either I have to go meet him tomorrow or a day after.

Now .. I'm in double mind ,
Though it looks super cool..
... IS IT WORTH FITTING THIS RPM/VOLTMETER ???
Old 29th June 2011, 11:54   #2031
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... IS IT WORTH FITTING THIS RPM/VOLTMETER ???
YES!

Since you have opened the ECU harnesses, is it possible to take a lead from one the points? I am after the vtec solenoid point. It seems that you can connect one terminal of an LED to that point and another to ground and you have a vtec indicator!!
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 11:56   #2032
Senior - BHPian

@sushrutha, I am interested to know how you will tap the signal.

That's exactly the reason why I have asked how you will calibrate the meter.

If Civics tachometer takes an analog signal for rpm input and the needle moves accordingly, then we have a band of voltage within 0 to 12 which needs to be deciphered. Let us assume in one of the tachometer lines you get analog voltage - some 0.5V means 0rpm to some 11V means max rpm. If so how can we calibrate the new tachometer for this. But I guess it is not simple as that from your experiments.

So now what exactly is the signal that Civic's tacho is recieving through the harness? If it is still the message and the decoding logic is in the tachometer circuitry we are goofed!

So eagerly waiting for the outcome

@dot - your case is simple. Its just that line going high. So a led with the required pullup resistor will work. @Sushrutha is after a message

Last edited by laluks : 29th June 2011 at 11:58.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 12:00   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rr_zen; I am only at 5k now!The original fill was synthetic (change only at 3rd service). So I went for synth. Theoretically, try and match their maximum viscosity specified. it is SAE 30. In principle a SAE40 oil will consume slightly more fuel, and an SAE50 even more so. I guess 5W50 you are mentioning is Ultra, a fine oil again. This is also fine since they allow you to go up to SAE50.

Given my low mileage I may opt for their Idemitsu 0W30 next time. Wanted a slightly thicker oil in running in. Quite a bit cheaper.

My mileage should go up once the Kanpur-Lucknow Highway (NH25 part of GQ, the first part to be started) is done. At the moment Kanpur-Unnao is a pain, and I often hire a taxi!
Thanks. My car is at 4k now after 15 months of ownership. To the best of my knowledge, my car came with regular oil as factory fill and I replaced it with regular oil at the 3k interval. I am waiting for the car to clock at least 10k (for a better run-in) before I switch to fully synthetic oil (preferably Mobil 1). And yes, I should focus on clocking more kms on the car as well.

Last edited by rr_zen : 29th June 2011 at 12:01.
Old 29th June 2011, 12:06   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If so how can we calibrate the new tachometer for this. But I guess it is not simple as that from your experiments.
Lalu when I spoke with RD Karthik now, he says he needs to add some circuit to work it properly.
He was talking abt producing 5V or something like that. Couldn't understand more of it
Well I shall update you on this very shortly(couple of days) when I'm back from his workshop.
Old 29th June 2011, 12:11   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lalu when I spoke with RD Karthik now, he says he needs to add some circuit to work it properly.
He was talking abt producing 5V or something like that. Couldn't understand more of it
Well I shall update you on this very shortly(couple of days) when I'm back from his workshop.
Then I guess he taps the message and converts to 0 to 5v for your tachometer using his circuitry. Lets us see
Old 30th June 2011, 11:51   #2036
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dot - your case is simple. Its just that line going high. So a led with the required pullup resistor will work.
Might get the vtec indicator installed on Saturday if everything goes all right. Will keep you all posted.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:12   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Hi all,
Did anyone install reverse Camera in Civic? I found this interesting CCD (not CMOS) camera which seems to be a direct fit on Civics, any views?

CCD Car Rear view Reverse Camera for HONDA CIVIC 08- 09 (eBay item 160596476466 end time 01-Jul-11 13:39:29 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
Guys any feedback / suggestion / help / direction ...
Old 30th June 2011, 13:44   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Shops (other than H.A.S.S.) that sell genuine Honda parts?

@gaurav_chopra04 had mentioned Car Parts - Spare Parts Car Spare Parts Supplier Auto parts Exporters India a few months back.

Are there any other such shops that sell genuine Honda accessories? I don't mind buying online as long as I can get boxed products shipped for a nominal shipping fee.

I just wanted to see what the prices are on the following two things -
  • Chrome exhaust tip/garnish (H.A.S.S. quotes INR 4900 for the pair)
  • Trunk spoiler (H.A.S.S. quotes INR ~22500 for part + installation)

I'm just thinking of giving something nice to BQ on her 1st birthday, exactly a month from now!

Regards,
spadix
Old 30th June 2011, 16:07   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shops (other than H.A.S.S.) that sell genuine Honda parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I just wanted to see what the prices are on the following two things -
  • Chrome exhaust tip/garnish (H.A.S.S. quotes INR 4900 for the pair)
  • Trunk spoiler (H.A.S.S. quotes INR ~22500 for part + installation)
I'm just thinking of giving something nice to BQ on her 1st birthday, exactly a month from now!

Regards,
spadix
One of the most wanted items on my list too is the trunk spoiler. I was quoted 20k INR by the dealer which is hard to digest.(Mind you, I spent 10k for my side step garnish). I will take utmost care of the chrome exhaust tip from now on, that I know the price of one now.

Also, I wanted to check with Carnation if they sell Honda spares as I read in the forum somewhere that JK has a tie up with Honda of Thailand and is planning to import and sell genuine Honda stuff at reduced prices. Any ideas ?
Old 30th June 2011, 20:03   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shops (other than H.A.S.S.) that sell genuine Honda parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post

Also, I wanted to check with Carnation if they sell Honda spares as I read in the forum somewhere that JK has a tie up with Honda of Thailand and is planning to import and sell genuine Honda stuff at reduced prices. Any ideas ?
Almost when Carnation started in Bangalore I had asked them for a rear tail lamp assembly. They mentioned to me 14 days time. Cost was some RS300 above the HASS guys.

They can source. Check the costs. Even if thje costs are high, if you get it in your hand for DIY, it may be still ok, since HASS doesnot sell only spares, they sell Service along with it
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed