Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 20:07   #2146
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hello guys,
My car is back, and water leak problem has been resolved by carnation.
The work's was done by opening the dashboard and fixing the small rust formation behind the glove box.

While the dash was opened, I got 3M rust treatment done there entirely along with the floor of the car (interior). I am a relieved man now.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:33   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just tried to order a second set. Price is up to R.579. Still looks to be good value. The pouch says 500A, so maybe his past lot was 400A and he did not edit the post fully.
Maybe they increased the rates due to demand!
I too will order them next week.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:54   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am a relieved man now.
That's good to hear, Hiren! Do you have any pictures of the work-in-progress?

I sincerely hope that your Civic's found a permanent solution to the water collection-and-rust issue now, but I suppose I would still advise general caution regarding parking the car in the open when it's raining etc.

Regards,
spadix
Old 27th July 2011, 22:51   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry
Hello guys,
The work's was done by opening the dashboard and fixing the small rust formation behind the glove box.

While the dash was opened, I got 3M rust treatment done there entirely along with the floor of the car (interior). I am a relieved man now.

Thanks all for the help.
Thats great news Hiren. How much did the rust treatment cost?
Old 28th July 2011, 01:51   #2150
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello guys,

This is great news Hiren. You must be really relieved now! I am also happy that it got done.
Can you tell what exactly the rust treatment was? Like, was it a combination of welding of the hole, buffing, polish and 3M spray, or anything else? Eagerly waiting for the procedure.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:55   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That's good to hear, Hiren! Do you have any pictures of the work-in-progress?

I sincerely hope that your Civic's found a permanent solution to the water collection-and-rust issue now, but I suppose I would still advise general caution regarding parking the car in the open when it's raining etc.
Thanks a lot buddy!

Yes, I do have a couple of pics but they are too gory :-)
I hope so too, I cannot even begin to tell you guys how depressing the whole ordeal was.
How I wish I had a covered parking, as of now I have parked the car in my parents bldg where we have a stilt garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thats great news Hiren. How much did the rust treatment cost?
Thanks mdsaab, the car feels great too. The whole thing set me back by 8K plus 1.8K for 3M interior treatment. I could have bargained a bit but was in no mood to do so. Just wanted to get her home.
Not bad considering the astronomical quote that Honda suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This is great news Hiren. You must be really relieved now! I am also happy that it got done.
Can you tell what exactly the rust treatment was? Like, was it a combination of welding of the hole, buffing, polish and 3M spray, or anything else? Eagerly waiting for the procedure.
Relieved does not begin to describe what I feel. Unfortunately I could not visit the garage more often as my workload has reached a new high.

Well it was like this, wiper shroud, dashboard, seats, carpet was taken out.
The water drainage hole was already clear by then. There was a small hole the size of 25p coin. This was treated for rust and covered properly, then body sealant was applied and once it was dried a coat of 3M anti rust treatment was applied all over the bare dash area, the entire seat base, opened cowl top area and under the wheel wells (front only).

The carpets were dried totally and then the interiors were put back into place. In all this the climate control components were entirely opened and cleaned nice (as suggested by Gaurav) and gas was refilled.

Got the car back on Sunday, came back home to a nice sunshine and thoroughly washed and polished the car with Meguaris and Collinite 845. Must say the car never looked better

The car now is perfect, touch wood. Thanks too all of your for your help and wishes, can't wait to head out for a drive.

Regards

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 28th July 2011 at 10:02.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 10:17   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Hi Sushrutha,
Congrats on the ccfls. You beat me in getting them first . They look awesome.
Can you give the source where you procured the entire set and the costs ...
Thanks Patron.
Got the Morimoto Projectors from Joice from Cochin.
Blazer Projectors were sourced from US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That's good to hear, Sushrutha!

The car's front looks appealing with the new headlamps.

I hope you have before/after pictures of the headlamp beam throw in the dark. It would be an instructive comparison for prospective upgraders.

Regards,
spadix
Thanks Spadix.
Well I don't have a before pic. All I can do is, I can get the after(projectors) pics of the Headlamp Beam throw.
I have also got fitted my highbeams with Philips 4300 bulbs(55w) which are just amazing and matches the colour of the projectors too.

Quote:
Sushrutha the lights look awesome.
Awaiting some pics in the dark. Actually can't wait to see the full look which i am sure will be spectacular in the evening / night.
Sure MD...
I'll get a shoot out done very soon.
My only concern is I have painted the shrouds black. Now I feel I should have kept it as it is (Chrome).
Have ordered for the new Gatling gun shrouds ... will take a call once it arrives.
Opening & retrofitting the Headlight by yourself is one MESSY Job, better to get it done by an Expert on this regard.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 10:27   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Maybe they increased the rates due to demand!
I too will order them next week.
Booster Cable (500AMP) Car battery Jumper | eBay

It is not available anymore.

Can anyone tell the best place to get it online or in Delhi/Gurgaon? My car battery is 3+ now and being an AT, it is must for me.
Old 29th July 2011, 08:36   #2154
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Can anyone tell the best place to get it online or in Delhi/Gurgaon? My car battery is 3+ now and being an AT, it is must for me.
Well I dont want to sound like a smart Alec here, but isnt it a good idea to just change the battery if you think it can conk off anytime..
Old 29th July 2011, 08:49   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Or what you can do is take it to your friendly neighborhood battery shop.
They can check the water level. and hook it up to the machine. They can then advise you on the condition of the battery. i.e whether it's really weak and needs replacement or does have some decent life left.
You can then act accordingly.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:20   #2156
Senior - BHPian

I sent a message to eBay seller and he re-listed it, I bought it and he couriered it yesterday itself. Fast service, I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Well I dont want to sound like a smart Alec here, but isnt it a good idea to just change the battery if you think it can conk off anytime..
This is 100% working great Amaron battery replaced in May, 2008. Does it make sense to replace a perfect battery? I don't think so. BTW, your advice is great for an OEM battery which lasted less than 2 years in my case.

Quote:
Or what you can do is take it to your friendly neighborhood battery shop.
They can check the water level. and hook it up to the machine. They can then advise you on the condition of the battery. i.e whether it's really weak and needs replacement or does have some decent life left.
You can then act accordingly.
That is a good idea, my car is going for 55k service on Monday, I will get it checked there.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 29th July 2011 at 09:22.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 09:21   #2157
Senior - BHPian

I guess the AT guys want it to jump start their cars if stuck somewhere unexpectedly, MT guys can push start, but AT guys need some battery to jump start. If they have access to one somehow, they can use these cables, jump start and reach the nearest A.S.C and do the required.

Am I right?

Last edited by laluks : 29th July 2011 at 09:22.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:26   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I guess the AT guys want it to jump start their cars if stuck somewhere unexpectedly, MT guys can push start, but AT guys need some battery to jump start. If they have access to one somehow, they can use these cables, jump start and reach the nearest A.S.C and do the required.

Am I right?
Absolutely right. And the moving car does not stop normally.

I am sure that we get help of our neighbors or colleagues if we find one day that the car is not starting, if we have these cables.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:34   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Am I right?
Absolutely right! In an AT you cannot push start. It may be a little difficult to get someone to stop and offer you a jump start from their battery though. But having said that, someone with a kind heart will stop and help you out eventually. That's when i read about this battery topper sort of thing. It plugs into a normal AC socket. If this can be used to jump the car, maybe one could use a Socket near by to start up the car. If you are stranded in the middle of nowhere on a highway though, it will be pretty useless having the socket type. that's if it can be used for jump starting in the first place.
You can read about how i once had to call Honda RSA to come help me out when the battery conked off. on the Re-united with my Silver Civica Chicca thread.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:37   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of batteries , in my 800 a sign of a weak battery about to die would be when the starter motor would stop half way while cranking,it would pause a little while cranking and then resume.When it does this it would be a dead giveaway that the battery is about to die in a few days time.

Is there any such indication given in the civic that the battery is on it's way out or would it just die without any warnings ?

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks